Blown Case Stuck in Breech

PDA

JBP
August 23, 2003, 09:47 PM
Fired the first round of the last mag that I was going to put through my new IAI M1 Carbine and the 2nd round in the mag would not load. After locking the bolt back and removing the mag I saw that the spent round was nothing more than the case rim. A check of the breech showed the rest of the case still embedded there. Range officer tried to get it out with out success. I tried when I got home with a 30 caliber rod and brush with still negative results. All suggestions would be appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Blown Case Stuck in Breech" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mannlicher
August 23, 2003, 09:50 PM
pick up a shell extracter at the army/navy surplus store, or get one online

SelfProclaimedExpert
August 23, 2003, 10:20 PM
A .45 caliber wire brush will often served as well as a shell extractor. Trying reverse the bristles after inserting from the rear puts alot of grab on the case walls. You might also try soaking it overnight in dry slide or a similar penetrating lube.

Good luck.

WalkerTexasRanger
August 24, 2003, 09:54 AM
You might also try some Kroil, it is penetrating oil and has worked for me before with my .22 in this exact scenario. It really kreeps.

SDC
August 24, 2003, 10:04 AM
I've had good luck with SPE's method; place a large-diameter brush in the breech, then run a rod down the barrel from the muzzle, thread them together so you can pull the brush into the case, and then give the muzzle end of the rod a few sharp taps. The angled bristles on the brush grab the case momentarily, loosening the case.

labgrade
August 25, 2003, 02:15 AM
Likely a few hours in a chest-type home freezer will help out.

Differences in the dissimilar metals/thermal expansion rates ....

Case might just fall right out.

If you enjoyed reading about "Blown Case Stuck in Breech" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!