What if I thought stag handles were ugly?

PDA

Eleven Mike
June 17, 2008, 08:21 PM
Would that make me a bad person?

If you enjoyed reading about "What if I thought stag handles were ugly?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jason_G
June 17, 2008, 08:23 PM
Well, let's just say it's a good thing you didn't officially say it. ;)

Jason

Fred Fuller
June 17, 2008, 09:09 PM
No.

It'd save you some $$$ though, likely. Stag's got awful pricey lately.

lpl/nc

JTW Jr.
June 17, 2008, 09:18 PM
beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

I like it the way it looks , however for a user ( which all of mine are ) give me something that wont shrink , crack or change due to climate.

bikerdoc
June 17, 2008, 09:39 PM
nope,
use what you like -just keep it sharp and clean

50 Shooter
June 17, 2008, 10:13 PM
You wouldn't be alone. ;)

Geronimo45
June 17, 2008, 10:25 PM
Others, theoretically, could share your thoughts. Some might be located in a state adjacent to the Mexican border...

hso
June 17, 2008, 10:51 PM
What if I thought stag handles were ugly?

Bad, as in evil? Well, no, not necessarily. :p

In the ranking of attractive knife handle material I don't rank stag in the top 10. What with ivory and oosik and various wood and burls there are plenty of materials I find more attractive. But it is in the top 20 for me personally.;)

Of course there are all sorts of "stag" used on knife handles with some being prettier than others.

Okiecruffler
June 17, 2008, 11:27 PM

Well, maybe not a bad person, but I wouldn't want you to set me up on a blind date with any girl you thought was attractive.:D

Dksimon
June 17, 2008, 11:37 PM
if you said that then i would second your statement. I dont much care for the look of it either

Eleven Mike
June 17, 2008, 11:57 PM
On a more positive note, I really like desert ironwood.

CWL
June 18, 2008, 12:11 AM
While I also like desert ironwood, I do think you are a bad person. ;)

Depending on what it's on, stag is a beautiful way to personalize knives and guns.

Rupestris
June 18, 2008, 12:57 AM
I'm with you Eleven Mike. Stag handles are hideous...

Unless they are in slip joint folders...

or fixed blades with polished blades...

or small camp hatchets...

or...

:neener:

Truth be told, I could take 'em or leave 'em. I only have one knife with stag slabs. Makes for a heavier knife than some of the modern materials but all in all, I'm not a slab snob. If it feels good in the hand and is up to the task at hand I don't care if its Micarta, Stag, CF, or some state of the art composite, the blade is the heart of it all.

Chris

Joe Demko
June 18, 2008, 11:35 AM
Yes. Yes, it would make you a bad person. A person who would say something like that probably also stomps a puppy to death every morning before breakfast. Happily, though, you didn't actually make such a reprehensible statement.

f4t9r
June 18, 2008, 12:03 PM
I have had thoughts that things were ugly myself !!!!!!
I hope this is not spreading.

Cougfan2
June 18, 2008, 12:13 PM
Speaking as one who just bought a Case Copper Lock with Indian Red Stag handles, I think they're kind of cool looking. :) That being said, my carry blade is a Sodbuster Jr. with black Micarta handles.

CWL
June 18, 2008, 12:21 PM
In all seriousness, I think preferences change as one ages.

20 years ago, if it wasn't 'tactical' black, I didn't like it. I'd never buy a knife unless it was dressed in only black, and I went out of the way to remove wood grips from pistols to replace them with black plastic or rubber.

Over the years (decades), I have come to respect to beauty of natural materials like wood, horns and bone to decorate & personalize the items I collect & carry.

Have I gotten rid of my older stuff? Nope, I've just increased my collection.

Skofnung
June 18, 2008, 12:27 PM
I tend to look at the whole package. Sometimes it fits, others it does not.

Goblin
June 18, 2008, 04:17 PM
BLASPHEMER!!!:what:

Eleven Mike
June 18, 2008, 05:12 PM
OK, that top one's kind of nice. :) Cougfan, that red stag sounds nice. Got a picture?

http://www.rod-neep.co.uk/rod/knives/queen/photos/2stags1.jpg

Valkman
June 18, 2008, 05:22 PM
Red stag is awesome! But since you like Ironwood here's a Landshark I'm just finishing.

http://usera.imagecave.com/Valkman/gold/MM_Ironwood.jpg

Eleven Mike
June 18, 2008, 05:54 PM
neato. :)

JShirley
June 18, 2008, 08:36 PM
OMG, Don! That is just about the perfect knife. What blade length is it?

Oh, hey Mounted, I think most stag handles are ugly, too.

J

Brian Dale
June 19, 2008, 12:02 AM
Beautiful knife, Don. The ironwood's great.

I've held a lot of stag handled knives that just weren't that comfortable for me to use. I think that looks OK, but I'd rather have something else.

The folks who really like it can be happy that I'm not driving the price up.

Valkman
June 19, 2008, 01:44 AM
It's a 3 3/4" blade, 8 3/4" overall length. That's my flagship hunter, the Landshark. :) Every design I came up with kept looking just like a Loveless - not a bad thing but I don't want to copy anyone. Finally I came up with my own shape but the blade shape is still pure Loveless.

I just happen to have a Green Canvas Micarta one with no home. :( LOL

TimboKhan
June 19, 2008, 01:52 AM
Not a huge fan of horn, but I have a set of antlers from my first elk (20 years ago) sitting in the back of my truck for lack of anywhere better to put them, and since they are likely never going to get mounted, I have contemplated having them made into knife handles.

TAB
June 19, 2008, 01:56 AM
I've never been a fan, its not so much of look but of feel.

Brian Dale
June 19, 2008, 02:06 AM
...I have a set of antlers from my first elk (20 years ago) sitting in the back of my truck for lack of anywhere better to put them...Two words: hood ornament. ;)

TimboKhan
June 20, 2008, 05:00 AM
If I had an old Caddy, those two words would be a reality. As it stands, I don't think they would look so swift on my Ranger, lol.

If you enjoyed reading about "What if I thought stag handles were ugly?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!