Please add "heller" and "dc" to the word exclusion list

PDA

brighamr
June 18, 2008, 02:04 PM
Considering the amount of threads which are dedicated to heller, and we can't make any good decisions or even ideas until we know the decision... can we just delete heller threads for the time being? It's kind of turning into the Ron Paul, Fred Thomson threads from back in the day.

If you enjoyed reading about "Please add "heller" and "dc" to the word exclusion list" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hso
June 18, 2008, 02:41 PM
It's almost like these things are "What will the old place look like?" discussions.

Ya won't know till we get there just doesn't satisfy some folks.

learn2shoot
June 18, 2008, 02:43 PM
Perhaps making Heller its own sub-sub-forum under legal would be an option.

brighamr
June 18, 2008, 03:30 PM
or just locking heller threads until we actually have a decision! There's no point discussing possibilities when we don't even know how the decision will be worded IMO.

hso
June 18, 2008, 07:08 PM
Amen to that!

TimboKhan
June 18, 2008, 09:36 PM
I don't really ever venture into the areas in which Heller is debated, but I can see your point, and I don't think it's a bad one, but...

Now that Heller is close to being decided, I think it's going to be pretty hard to keep the threads down. I have literally discussed Heller once before this week, and I have talked about it no less than 6 times this week! If that happens in real life, I can only imagine the uproar if it couldn't be discussed here.

Norton
June 18, 2008, 09:58 PM
Why in the world would you want to lock threads dealing with the most important 2nd amendment rights case in our lifetimes?!

armoredman
June 18, 2008, 10:10 PM
Maybe tomorrow...

brighamr
June 19, 2008, 01:35 PM
"Why in the world would you want to lock threads dealing with the most important 2nd amendment rights case in our lifetimes?!"

ummmm, because no matter how many times someone brings it up... nothing will be known, until the case is decided.

this is like posting "when/if the govt tries to take our guns..." sometimes you have to wait for a bridge before you can cross it.

BTW - "Showing results 1 to 25 of 899
Search took 0.42 seconds. Search: Key Word(s): Heller" and this is before there has even been a decision :rolleyes:

Robert Hairless
June 19, 2008, 03:17 PM
That's the real trouble with discussion forums. Some people discuss matters that other people don't care to discuss or that annoy them. It might be possible to suppress discussions of Heller or other impending events until they have happened. That way this forum could focus on what has happened instead of what might happen. It would be a much tidier place for sure.

Seems to me, though, that people discuss the impending outcome of Heller for reasons important to them. I dip into those discussions from time to time because the reasons and reasoning are sometimes of interest to me.

Of interest too are the explanations about how the Court works by people who seem to know.

It's easy enough for me to skip what doesn't interest me in this and other forums.

El Tejon
June 19, 2008, 05:00 PM
What impact will Heller have on Chicago, felons with guns, the NFA, carry licenses, .45 v. 9mm, Glock v. 1911, which gun for bear and threads such as this?

Sebastian the Ibis
June 19, 2008, 07:16 PM
I like the Heller threads. Aside from speaking with Alan Gura himself :neener:, this is the best source of information I have found on the case. I don't have to scour the web looking for articles and op-eds because someone on THR will find it and start a link. I'd like to write and publish a law review paper on the decision once it comes out and this site gives me a lot of ideas to work with. Maybee it is overkill for some people, but 10 minutes of "The Postman" was too much for me and the thread for that movie on this site just wouldn't die a couple of days ago. I wouldn't complain to the mods about it though, or say that we need to dump it.. to each their own. Isn't this website ultimately about the ability to do what we want to do, without worrying about others telling us they don't like it anyway?

Further, just because the opinion has not come out it does not mean there is nothing to say. Following that logic ESPN doesn't need pre-game shows because the games have not yet been played, and there is nothing to say about the 2008 NFL season because it has not happened yet.

Don Lu
June 20, 2008, 12:07 AM
It really shouldnt matter what "annoys" people. If you dont want to discuss Heller..the skip to the next thread, Doesnt seeem right to lock a thread just because someone/people dont want to discuss it...just skip it and you dont have to discuss it. Many of us enjoy reading the opinions of others on a topic that we are interested in. just my opinion, but locking/banning threads on Heller seems excessive.

the sub-forum idea is a good idea.

RP88
June 20, 2008, 02:49 PM
maybe lock them for the next three days. Then, when the decision comes out, hope that the board doesnt change to The Heller Readings

brighamr
June 20, 2008, 04:07 PM
"The Heller Readings" rofl!

Norton
June 21, 2008, 06:50 PM
ummmm, because no matter how many times someone brings it up... nothing will be known, until the case is decided.

ummmmm....there may some people who do want to discuss it and perhaps you could just decide to not read the thread if you feel it doesn't apply to you. :rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "Please add "heller" and "dc" to the word exclusion list" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!