Anyone have an 'active shooter' bag you really like?

PDA

Fred Fuller
June 20, 2008, 06:30 PM
Living away out in the country as we do, when we're home we keep an AR out of the safe and tucked away in case something shows up hunting trouble further away than the shotguns can reach. I've been using an improvised shoulder bag to keep a couple of extra magazines handy for it, but now that more specific gear for the purpose is showing up I'd like to upgrade to something that would work better.

Anyone happy with a particular piece of gear? I'd like something that is set up specifically for 3- 4 30-round AR magazines, plus a bit of other stuff- room for a 2-way radio, etc. Not a suitcase, by any means, we don't need to pack a bunch of stuff. And I'd as soon the magazines be carried in the main compartment against the 'back' of the bag, not on the 'front' or on the flap.

Suggestions? TIA,

lpl/nc

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone have an 'active shooter' bag you really like?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Thumper_6119
June 20, 2008, 07:34 PM
The Hawkepak Bugout Rifle Bag. (http://www.1sks.com/store/hawkepak-ma-54-rifle-bug-out-bag.html)

I have 2 of these, and they are fantastic. Well designed and well built.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d180/thumper_6119/Bob4.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d180/thumper_6119/Bob2.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d180/thumper_6119/Bob3.jpg

They have the ability to hold 3 pistol mags and 6 AR mags. It comes with a removable pistol holster, and the main compartment has a removable divider. I have a flashlight, multitool, first aid kit, binoculars, spare battery container, and a cleaning kit in mine (at present). The bag also has a leg strap and belt loops should you want to secure it to your side. The shoulder strap is well padded. This is an awesome bag.

Malodorousroadkill
June 23, 2008, 09:48 AM
There's a new hawkepak they call the Civil Defense Survival Kit. The mag pouches are internal, and thus more discrete. Holds the same number of rifle mags, and has the pistol mount, plus an extra pistol magazine slot. I just ordered one in navy a few days ago. When it comes in I'll be posting some pics.

Thumper_6119
June 23, 2008, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the Civil Defense bag. I just looked them up on OneSource. Looks nice! I may have to pick up a couple of those. I love the Hawkepak that I currently have. I was thinking about getting a couple more in a different color, so I may just go ahead and pick up a pair of the Civil Defense models in Coyote Tan.

Bix
June 23, 2008, 09:32 PM
Lee,

An economical option is the EOD utility bag from countycomm:

http://www.countycomm.com/minebag.htm

It's got internal pockets that will hold 4 AR mags (in the area you are looking for) and the webbing allows for a lot of configuration options....and it's $20.

I picked one up with the intent of running through a couple classes to see if the concept works for me before plunking down big coin on a 'fancy' bag. I haven't done that yet, so I can't really comment on how well it works for this purpose, but it's nicely sized for other applications if it doesn't work out.

Fred Fuller
June 24, 2008, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, please keep 'em coming.

Anyone have the 5.11 version? Or the Blackhawk? Does it work OK with the mag pouches on the front of the bag, or would I be better off to stick with my idea of finding a design that puts loaded mags- thus a lot of weight- at the back of the bag so it flops around less?

http://www.policeoneproducts.com/police-products/tactical/articles/1697370-Ready-to-go-Active-shooter-bags/

lpl/nc

Robert Hairless
June 24, 2008, 01:22 PM
County Comm's EOD bag is a bit on the slim side for the purpose, I think, although it's a nice complement to their Bailout Bag (http://www.countycomm.com/BAILOUTBAGGEN5.htm). Both are very well made. The Bailout Bag seems to be in the same genre as the Blackhawk.

Lee, the Eagle active shooter bag on your link is rather simple: a lightweight shoulder bag sewn down the middle to make two compartments. I've found that the flap works fairly well to keep stuff inside, but when there's need to get the stuff the flap keeps flapping down and getting in the way.

auschip
June 24, 2008, 03:03 PM
Anyone have the 5.11 version? Or the Blackhawk? Does it work OK with the mag pouches on the front of the bag, or would I be better off to stick with my idea of finding a design that puts loaded mags- thus a lot of weight- at the back of the bag so it flops around less?

I have the 5.11 bag and for me it works really well. I will take some pics of it loaded tonight, so you can see what it looks like and how it hangs loaded.

Robert Hairless
June 24, 2008, 04:20 PM
You've probably already seen this review of a few bags, but just in case: http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91138

Caimlas
June 24, 2008, 06:40 PM
Bix - thanks for that link! I'd been looking for that site; I'd lost my bookmark file a while back.

They've got a couple other bags which also look appealing, albeit at a slightly higher price (still cheaper than most of the competition, though).

auschip
June 24, 2008, 09:46 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3012/2608628959_516044ea64.jpg

Loaded with 6 mags, a med kit, an XD .45 with 2 extra mags, a small flashlight, 25 feet of paracord, a pair of Wiley-X glasses, and a set of small binoculars. The strap has a buckle if you need to drop it in a hurry, and the strap itself is adjustable. The strap includes a pad to keep it from biting into your neck. This was nice, as my bag fully loaded is slightly over 13 pounds.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3042/2608631425_3b914ce388.jpg

Same load, but with my AR. I've only had this one to the range once, but found that when shooting I would often rest my forearm on the bag.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3078/2608633747_22433275cb.jpg

Same, but when gun up I would use it as a rest.

TimboKhan
June 24, 2008, 11:11 PM
This little utility/mag pouch that's on closeout sale from LA Police gear looks like it would work for you. It's capable of holding 9 30-rounders, and you could use one of the pouches as a utility pouch. I like it because it is simple, slings right over the shoulder and is cheap.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/t2camapo.html

Malodorousroadkill
June 25, 2008, 02:25 PM
Well,I just got the bag in and I hate to say, I'm not very impressed. The rifle mag holder seems very cruddy. Its velco backed and not adjustable, but is removable. You might well hold 6 AR mags, but 3x 20rd AK mags are going to be your max. The lack of divided sleeves is a real issue here. I don't like the stretchy straps meant to hold the mags in. I'd love to see this with sleeves designed for AK mags, it would be a great option. 4x20rd AK mags would fit perfectly. I use these exclusively in my Yugo underfolder. The pistol magazine pouch holds 2 mags It has a long velcro flap that runs down the entire length of the sleeve. I think I'd rather have a shorter button type. There is only one of these pouch units, holding 2 magazines. However the website clearly states there was a 4 pistol magazine capacity. I need to email the company regarding that. The pistol holster is an adjustable velco style job that so far is impossible to draw quickly from. Either in cross draw or normally. I might tinker around with it at an angle, but I don't think its reasonable to think of this as a viable pistol holster anyway. Even for a BUG.

The construction seems good, everything is sturdy, and it looks good too. No problems with the waist strap or the shoulder strap. Even came with a cheap chinese knife and a company logo'ed carbiner. This will make a fine gear bag I think. Plenty of space for the other things you need, flashlight, first aid, extra boxes of ammo, cleaning kits, tools, batteries. If this hadn't cost $110 including shipping, I might be a bit happier with it. If the outer magazine pouch had been divided, or had options for a 4 mag AK-47 sleeved magazine holder vs the weird 6 slot AR, but only 3 AK mag holder. I'll try to get some pictures of this beast tonight after I've slept. (overnight worker here) I might just give it to my wife to hold some of her college books in. *sigh*

Pilot
June 25, 2008, 02:30 PM
How about this:

Exmasonite
June 25, 2008, 03:29 PM
not a true "shooting bag" but the Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack (or even the larger, newer colossus) might fit the bill. main compartment should hold 4-6 30 rd mags... has a zipper "CCW" pouch for a sidearm or 1-2 more AR mags.
has a collapsible nalgene bottle pouch that could hold said bottle, add'l mags or collapse out of the way (i like keep coil of paracord in there). front pouch can carry 2 radios... front pouch perfect for FAK, some energy bars, or gun cleaning kit.

here's (http://www.sniperworld.com/books/gear_12.html) a review of the bag from Sniperworld. they keep the mags in external pocket... no reason not to keep it in the main pocket instead.

strat81
June 25, 2008, 05:59 PM
http://www.galatiinternational.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=GIO&Product_Code=GLMP30&Category_Code=Magazinepouches
Made for mags, but it'll hold other stuff.
http://www.galatiinternational.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/GLMP30.jpg

TimboKhan
June 25, 2008, 08:25 PM
Strat, thats more or less the same bag that I linked, and the more I look at our suggestions, the smarter I think we are. The one I suggested is cheaper though:neener:

My problem with some of the other bags listed isn't one of quality or awesomeness, but rather an issue of unneeded space. From what I gather from what Lee said, he is essentially looking for a mag holder with a little extra space for those times that he just needs to sling some basic stuff and go. The Hawke bag and the bag that Auschip suggested are nice bags, but speaking for me personally, I like my stuff to be as simple as possible, meaning that an extra pocket for a water bottle probably is just going to equate to wasted space.

I do have a water bottle holder and some cargo room on my bug out bag, but thats not what I will be grabbing should I need to patrol my apartment building. Since the chances of me patrolling me apartment building are incredibley small, I don't really have an active shooters bag. My solution for that is an onboard mag holder (one reason I don't like adjustable stocks) on my AR. Between that and whats in the loaded mag, I have between 40-50 rounds available, which should be more than I will ever need under all but the most Red Dawn of circumstances.

TexAg
June 26, 2008, 12:08 AM
He he, my range/bug out bag is an eddie bauer diaper bag. Free at my twins baby shower.

Fred Fuller
June 26, 2008, 06:53 AM
Simple is good.

Cheap Inexpensive is also good.

That LA Police Gear pouch looks pretty promising and the price is definitely in the 'right' arena. Using one of the pouches for utility rather than magazines is a real possibility. Plus I have ordered from the company before and had good service from them, I like dealing with known quantities. I'm gonna try one of these, but the question is still open- besides, if I need 6 magazines, I'm not sure I want to go there :what: :D. I think a 4-magazine situation is more my speed :D.

Thanks, all- please keep it up.

lpl/nc

Robert Hairless
June 26, 2008, 09:56 AM
Strat81, I have one of those. They're well made and trustworthy. Fully loaded they weigh a ton, though.

bsf
June 29, 2008, 01:15 PM
Lee Lapin,

I have been looking for a low-profile rifle fighting bag/manpurse also. I had the opportunity to run my instructor’s original Suarez (One Source Tactical) Sneaky Rifle Bag (http://www.onesourcetactical.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=241)during a weekend of carbine training. I really liked it though I have very little to compare it to as I have never used anything more tactical for carbine training or practice than cargo pants. My instructor has run it through some of Pat Roger’s classes and absolutely loves it. I do not know if the originals are available any more as a ton of new “improved” models have been rolled out. If you want more information on them you can check out reviews and threads at WarriorTalk (http://www.warriortalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=113). If I could get one of the originals in brown or green I would, but they are all sold out. The equivalent new model (3-cell insert, dump pouch, fixed side pockets (http://www.onesourcetactical.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1205)) has smaller side pockets than the original and will not fit the IFAK/VOK that I want to carry. In addition, they are quite pricey. I want to look more closely at the Hawkepak Civil Defense Survival Kit (MA-62). (http://www.hawkepaks.com/prod.itml/icOid/212)

Malodorousroadkill,

Do you think you could post a review w/ pics of the Civil Defense Survival Kit? Is the interior re-configurable? Is interior all hook and loop so you can move stuff around? Have you gotten the scoop on the 2 vs. 4 pistol mag controversy? Have you considered replacing the hook and loop carbine mag pouches w/ something more to your liking. What is the balance like when you have the outer pocket packed w/ 6 loaded 30rd mags? Do you think you could physically run w/ it loaded out? I could move at speed with the Sneaky bag loaded out and strapped to my waist and/or thigh. It was very stable, probably helped by all the support belts and the location of the mag pouches close to the body. In addition to the shoulder strap, does the Hawkepak have just a waist belt or both a waist and thigh belt? How big are the exterior side pouches? Are they bigger than needed to fit a Nalgene 1L bottle for example? I want something w/ side pockets slightly larger than that.

Malodorousroadkill
June 30, 2008, 01:35 PM
I have been busy, so I haven't really had the chance to get my pics and post them. I only have AK mags, so only 4 AK mags will fit in the out pocket max. 2 across, and 2 deep. The outer pocket has a completely velcro side. The interior area has one velco hybrid molle side and the other side is completely velcro. There are supposed to be a pair of double mag(side by side style) pouches that are velcro backed. One was missing, and the folks from the company have been contacted and are sending it along. I am going to get a blackhawk strike pouch and mount it into molle hybrid part. I wish they were all these hybrid type velcro panels. I suggested to the company about a side by side and forward 4x AK mag option.
Its a waist belt. I've not tried running with it. It is a bit side heavy with the mags. Since it is modular, I would put the velcro rifle mag holder into the internal areas vs the outer. I will be putting the STRIKE into the internal. And if they ever do a 4slot mag pouch it would go opposite and the pistol pouches in the outer. I don't have any 1liter bottles but it'll fit a 32oz bottle with a decent bit of room to spare.

bsf
June 30, 2008, 02:26 PM
Malodorousroadkill,

That is helpful. Thanks.

ETA now that I have more time.

I really liked the Sneaky Bag my instructor lent me. It just reeked of quality. Even though the equivalent new model has smaller side pockets, I could just get the model w/ MOLLE on the sides and then I could mount whatever I wanted there. The things are just so darn expensive though. The Civil Defense Survival Kit is not exactly cheap either. I see I have a need for some sort of fighting bag, chest mag carrier, etc, but I am still trying to figure out what would work best for me. In addition I have an internal conflict over resource allocation for hardware and software. My software is still pretty weak.

Fred Fuller
July 2, 2008, 08:05 PM
Welll, the BBT (big brown truck) rolled in today with the County Comm EOD bag, in coyote brown of course (hey, it's the new black). I think it will do OK for what I was looking for.

I was hoping for a flap-over type design when I started looking for a bag, not a zipper top as this one is. But sometimes you just have to settle for what you can get, not necessarily what you want. I'll have to get it loaded up and see just how easy it is to extract magazines from it when it has all the other stuff in it (door wedges, flashlight, breacher bar, Prybaby, knife, strobe, whistle, EMT shears, blowout kit, mini hacksaw, spare batteries, all that stuff). I'm not planning to carry a sidearm in this bag, or magazines for one either, so lack of an easy way to holster a pistol in the bag is not a problem

The price was definitely right, on sale at $19.95. It's very well made, both materials and construction. It's not so big as to be awkward, not so capacitous as to carry enough of a load to be uncomfortable even without padding on the shoulder strap. It seems like a good compromise in size overall.

We'll see how it goes... . Meanwhile thanks for the help, all.

lpl/nc

hncpac
July 10, 2008, 10:01 AM
Great thread. Information like this keeps people from buying $1,000 worth of ballistic nylon that is not right and still not answering the need for a "grab and go" bag. Being rather rural I also have concerns about this scenerio and have "gamed" several options and decided to go with a vest instead of a bag. Here are my reasons:
1) The vest holds enough to support me for a short engagement a short distance from home but helps me resist the everything including the kitchen sink mentality of a bigger bag type system.
2) Once on the vest can not spill, get filled with dirt or be left behind accidentally.
3) Movement with any sort of bag was always hard for me. The strap caught on every doorknob, branch and rock in the immediate area. You really haven't lived until you run down a hallway and have a shoulder strap catch on a sturdy door knob. Crawling is also difficult. My bag acted like a tractor scoop and collected about 5 lbs of rocks and pine cones in less than 50 feet of low crawling.
4) The bag is more likely to be appropriated for other purposes and then not restocked or placed back where it belongs. The vest is more mission specific.

I got several medium priced vests from CTD and set up one for each caliber (223, 308, 12ga) and store them rolled and bungied to the specific weapon they are designed for. This system works for me, YMMV
-H-

Dave Markowitz
July 11, 2008, 09:56 AM
I have one of the Galati mag bags that strat81 posted a pic of. It's well made but heavy when loaded up, especially with AK mags. I currently have it inside of a Timbuktu laptop bag, along with some other stuff. I have the flaps folded down so I can get at the mags once I push back the flap on the laptop bag.

I also have one of the Countycomm EOD bags, which I don't think you can beat for the money. Mine is setup as a survival kit/possibles bag.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c340/davemarkowitz/Countycomm_EOD_Bag/eodbag-front.jpg

I added a Maxpedition shoulder strap pad to the EOD bag. Without it, I find that the strap digs into my shoulder. I also added a Maxpedition mini-Roly-Poly to hold a 32 oz. Nalgene.

rd5589
September 12, 2009, 05:05 PM
Great thread. Information like this keeps people from buying $1,000 worth of ballistic nylon that is not right and still not answering the need for a "grab and go" bag. Being rather rural I also have concerns about this scenerio and have "gamed" several options and decided to go with a vest instead of a bag. Here are my reasons:
1) The vest holds enough to support me for a short engagement a short distance from home but helps me resist the everything including the kitchen sink mentality of a bigger bag type system.
2) Once on the vest can not spill, get filled with dirt or be left behind accidentally.
3) Movement with any sort of bag was always hard for me. The strap caught on every doorknob, branch and rock in the immediate area. You really haven't lived until you run down a hallway and have a shoulder strap catch on a sturdy door knob. Crawling is also difficult. My bag acted like a tractor scoop and collected about 5 lbs of rocks and pine cones in less than 50 feet of low crawling.
4) The bag is more likely to be appropriated for other purposes and then not restocked or placed back where it belongs. The vest is more mission specific.

I got several medium priced vests from CTD and set up one for each caliber (223, 308, 12ga) and store them rolled and bungied to the specific weapon they are designed for. This system works for me, YMMV
-H-

The problem with the vest is that it stands out to much and you are showing all your cards so to speak.

bsf
September 12, 2009, 05:38 PM
Wow. Was notified of a new post in this thread, so I guess I will update. I purchased an unused Hawkepak Civil Defense Survival Kit last year and have been very happy w/ it. I believe I have run it in one carbine class and monthly matches since late last year. It is very well constructed. I carry an IFAK/VOK in one side pocket and a 32oz water bottle in the other. I moved the 3x2 rifle mag shingle to the interior and only use one of the double pistol mag shingles in the exterior pocket. I have various other odds and ends like a Rapid Rod stashed here and there, but I do not overload it. I use it as a grab-n-go rifle fighting bag.

PandaBearBG
September 12, 2009, 07:01 PM
I like the Maxpedition, Pantac makes one that I have, it does have a little more molle on it, a mesh water bottle holder, a pouch on top of the flap for my glasses, an additional outside zipper (outside above the flap) that opens up and has a velcro wall and I just stuck a universal velcro holster there, so always have easy access to your pistol w/o opening your bag. (I put my passport, docs in it last time I traveled to Viet Nam, documents stayed save and secure. Numerous pockets, water resistant (drawstring waterproof pouch in main pouch extends maybe 4" above pouch pocket and is big enough I crammed 8 PMAGs, loosely in there) a nifty velcro loop so you can latch it on your belt so it doesnt slide around. The strap is strong seatbelt material and this little bag can hold some WEIGHT! Love it cuz it's not conspicuous, but rugged and solid construction that keeps my stuff safe.

http://i28.tinypic.com/2niy7me.jpg

I think the SOTECH mission bag is great, but if you want a similiar style that you less conspicuous and you could carry anywhere, I like Pantac's low profile courier bag
http://i30.tinypic.com/10nyf77.jpg

or Pantac's Messenger bag
http://i32.tinypic.com/m75dtx.jpg

I like Pantac because their stuff is STRONG, solid stitching, tough and a good price. I also like my grab bags not so "tactical" looking. A bag that I can use in the city as well as the outdoors (there are a lot of indoor ranges here too) my $.02

****sorry for the big pics, don't know how to resize them But at least you can get a better look.

Dr.Rob
September 22, 2009, 01:11 AM
Never kept a magazine loaded until I got a few Magpuls. Already have an emergency kit in the jeep (first aid, blanket, dry socks, TP, shovel, chains, etc).

I bought a 4 mag LBV long ago for a photoshoot that works well, though it's hardly discreet.

quinnrandall
October 16, 2009, 11:34 PM
What about this?

http://www.lapolicegear.com/bltaha.html

ElrodCod
November 13, 2009, 08:40 AM
Or this one.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/baouttabag.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone have an 'active shooter' bag you really like?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!