new knife recommendations

PDA

MikeG
June 21, 2008, 07:44 PM
I have decided to retire my 23 year old Buck Lite. It's still stiff to open.
I'm looking for a folding knife with the following characteristics:

1. lockback. I've never really liked liner locks

2. a 2.5 - 3" blade so I can bring it to work.

3. clip or drop point

4. plain and unobtrusive - no engraving, ornate materials or finishes

5. costs about $50 or less - I'm on a limited allowance from SWMBO :rolleyes:

I don't need a tanto point or matte black finish. If I was ever "high-speed-low-drag, I'm pretty much the opposite now.

I'm looking for a simple, strong, utilitarian tool for cutting bands off hay bales and so on.

A local store has the CRKT Pikes Peak cheap - are these good, and how is that LAWKS system?

If you enjoyed reading about "new knife recommendations" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bikerdoc
June 21, 2008, 08:44 PM
dont know about crkt but just got a new Moore Maker and I like it, check out their web site, reasonable prices, made in USA, 1095 steel

JShirley
June 21, 2008, 09:35 PM
You've pretty much laid out the plan for a Spyderco Delica (http://www.newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=4903). Light, strong, $50, great steel, unobtrusive.

LAWKS works pretty well, in my experience, incidentally.

John

Rupestris
June 21, 2008, 09:38 PM
I had a Spyderco DragonFly. My own SWMBO commandeered it. It now resides safely in her purse and gets a fair work out.

I had to replace it so I went with the Spyderco Centofante III. At 3 1/8" its a hair bigger than you asked for but it might fly. Its an outstanding knife for the money. As is the DragonFly.

I'd recommend either one. If you're not one for pocket clips, get the DragonFly with the FRN handle and cut the clip off. Sand down the remaining plastic and let it disappear into your pocket.

Chris

JShirley
June 21, 2008, 09:39 PM
My SWMBO has a Dragonfly I bought her, as well, Chris. And two nice Santa Fe customized Spydies she bought herself. :)

John

hso
June 21, 2008, 10:34 PM
A little heavier than what you're used to, but it should do.

Tom Krein
June 22, 2008, 12:51 AM
I find it interesting that 3 out of 5 recommendations were for Spyderco's.

My first thought based on your needs was a Spyderco!! One of the Delicas or a Dragonfly or a Jess Horn would be perfect.

Although my favorite Spyderco folder is the Calypso Jr.

Check the above knives out and I think you will be happy.

Tom

OldCowHand
June 22, 2008, 03:28 AM
http://www.agrussell.com/knives/by_type/folding/locking/a_g_russell_featherliteclip_point_blade_with_aus8_steel.html

Goblin
June 22, 2008, 11:51 AM
Is the Buck 110 too big??? It's a good one.:)

Exmasonite
June 22, 2008, 01:03 PM
I personally DESPISE the auto lawks system although one of my favorite knives is an older CRKT M16-13z BEFORE auto-lawks. overall, there blades don't seem to hold an edge as well as some of my newer acquisitions.

My current EDC is a Benchmade Mini-Griptilian. Mine has the tanto point (got it for $58 on evil-bay) but you can find a clip/drop point for around the same price. not a lockback- although i'd trust the Axis lock w/ my fingers/life.

Also, spyderco native is usually a <$50 steal at Wally World, s30v steel, too.

Big question: Do you want a straight edge or combo? People will sing the praises of each.... for cutting rope/twine, i'd say go w/ the combo edge. The serrated portion can be a bugger to sharpen but will also require less sharpening maintenance (works well when not sharp). To be honest, i've not sharpened the serrations on my BM in 10 months and they still get the job done.

Kershaw Black Horse II might be another knife to look at, too.

The Tourist
June 22, 2008, 01:22 PM
I'm looking for a simple, strong, utilitarian tool for cutting bands off hay bales and so on.

The stroke required to cut a band puts a lot of lateral stress on a knife's pivot.

Two suggestions. In a folder, get a knife with stout frame supports, i.e., look for metal under the grip panels. In fact, look for a stout pivot. While it might be out of your price range, look at how Mick Strider builds a folder, and find something akin to it.

For example there is a Buck-Strider built on this model.

Personally, I would carry a nice folder, but my work knife would be a small, stout fixed blade.

To that end, CRKT now makes a Graham Stubby I doubt anyone can break. This is to be a work knife--a tool--and there's nothing wrong with choosing a dedicated tool if that's the one that works the best.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
June 22, 2008, 03:03 PM
The LAWKS system on certain CRKTs works well. I have it on my "Desert Cruiser" and it's very safe -won't close on you, that's for sure.

alaskanativeson
June 24, 2008, 02:50 AM
I'd say you couldn't go wrong with a Benchmade mini-griptilian (http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=8327) which is going for $60. I just got one after I fell in love with my full size Griptilian and wanted a slightly smaller one. Who knows, I may never buy another folder that doesn't have an Axis lock. Wow is that thing smooth and strong.

The one thing the Griptilian doesn't have that I do like is an S30V blade, but the Spyderco Lightweight Native (http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=7242) does. Just as an opinion, I picked the plain blade rather than the serrated. I've been quite pleased.

b.thomas
June 24, 2008, 02:58 AM
Another vote for the Spyderco Delica.:D

Stainz
June 24, 2008, 07:51 AM
The Spyderco Native in S30V that Wally World carries for $39.48 is a bargain. Mine is a year old and has cut up it's share of large cardboard boxes in the year I've had it. I may just have it 'meet' the other Spyderco product in my house - the Sharpmaker - today.

Stainz

Zeke/PA
June 24, 2008, 08:07 AM
For price and ruggedness, it's hard to beat a Case Sodbuster.
Lately I 've been using the Opinels as a work knife.
Inexpensive and rugged available from SMKW.
Zeke

Sharpdogs
June 24, 2008, 08:18 AM
It is hard to beat the Spyderco Delica, but I would also check out the Al Mar Falcon. It is a thin bladed knife but it locks up strong and takes a razor edge.

MikeG
June 24, 2008, 01:13 PM
Lots of good candidates out there. I'll just take my time and look at some knives, maybe buy some of the semi-finalists to try out.

Darn the bad luck...it's a tough job but its got to be done. :rolleyes:

In the meantime, I picked up a CRKT Mount Ranier on sale for $11 and a Buck Mantis for $14. Not what I'm really looking for but at the price, worth having.

The search goes on. :D

CZ.22
June 24, 2008, 04:58 PM
I'd go with a Mini-Grip over a Delica any day of the week, but that's just me.

Why not another Bucklite? They're good knives, and can be had for very reasonable prices. Also look at the Buck 55- half-size of the 110.

The Sodbuster Jr in CV and Yellow is a great deal for around $22.

sm
June 24, 2008, 06:06 PM
The Sodbuster Jr in CV and Yellow is a great deal for around $22.

I agree!!

Can't go wrong with some of that Creedence song - Fogarty

If you enjoyed reading about "new knife recommendations" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!