Inexpensive .22 LR Revolvers.

PDA

Browning
June 22, 2008, 08:32 PM
I bought an inexpensive H&R 6 inch .22 LR revolver a little while back to just have fun with, as maybe a survival kit gun, for general plinking and of course to try and conserve money on ammo. With price of ammo being what it is it's even getting expensive to shoot 9mm or .38 Special. Only thing is that I didn't have a handgun in .22 LR until I bought this recently (for $150) just to mess around with.

Anyway, I had a chance to go to the range today after buying some of the cheapest ammo I could find ($8 for 500 rds of Federal Lightening 40 grain Lubricated Lead Round Nose). It didn't do half bad for being an inexpensive gun that you have to practically take apart in order to load (you hit the rod button parallel to the barrel and just underneath it, you pull out the rod and the cylinder comes out completely, you load up the cylinder, replace the cylinder and stick the rod back in through it while pressing the rod button, you fire the gun until empty and then repeat the process - I used the cylinder rod to knock out some of the stubborn empty cases).

I put up the target at 25 yards since I bought it as kind of a general field/survival type plinker that might end up possibly being used on squirrels and rabbits so I figured that it would be best shot at that range as usually that's about the closest you'll be able to get to small animals. I bought a silhouette type of a target because there's more paper to shoot up. You just pick a different place on the target and then just shoot that part instead as you go instead of constantly aiming for the head or center mass. That's what I do anyway.

The 25 yard range / The target's 2nd from left.

I fired one round over the silhouettes shoulder and then just aimed for that bullet hole with the rest.

Initial shot's 1 inch down from the 'I' and 'G' in the part of the script that says 'Signature' in the sentence 'Range Officers Signature'

It's not that bad for a 9 shot group with crappy bargain basement ammo while just screwing around huh?

I fired single action for all 9 shots, but as soon as the sight was on target again on that hole I just fired again and I didn't end up waiting a long time between shots trying to get it perfect. I shot over the shoulder of the target because by that point the target was pretty chewed up and I didn't feel like buying another one and then waiting 15 minutes to put up another one, shooting it and then waiting 15 minutes more to go down range and grab it (man it was hot today).

Anybody else bought an inexpensive .22 LR revolver lately for the same purpose?

If you enjoyed reading about "Inexpensive .22 LR Revolvers." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
3KillerBs
June 22, 2008, 08:46 PM
I don't enjoy shooting revolvers. But one day I will probably own a .22 revolver since I think that there is no better gun for introducing a new pistol shooter to basic principles and I hope to be in the position of introducing people to pistol shooting at some point.

eliphalet
June 22, 2008, 08:52 PM
Owned at least one 40 years now. Be smart, don't buy some cheap junk get a Single-Six at the least.

MCgunner
June 22, 2008, 08:58 PM
My Rossi is a great little .22 revolver. It's very accurate, all stainless, a copy of the Smith Kit Guns. It's got a rough DA, but sweet SA. I got nothing against "cheap" .22 revolvers, myself. I've shot H and Rs in the past, pretty fun. They may not be snob guns, but they shot just fine. The coke cans didn't know the difference. I have a friend that is absolutely nuts over, and collects High Standard Double Nines. For the life of me, I can't understand his infatuation with 'em, but they are kinda neat guns to shoot. He's had his first one for 35 years and will no doubt will it to one of his kids.

I mean, there's "cheap" and then there's stuff like RG that's not worthy of being called a revolver. But, stuff like H&Rs and High Standards are neat little plinkers, cheap or not. My Rossi is a step above those while not being of Smith and Wesson quality. It's still an accurate, rugged little revolver and I like it.

Virginian
June 22, 2008, 09:01 PM
In October of 1966 I bought a Bison 22 from Western Auto in Blacksburg, VA, for $27. It was the most accurate 22 revolver I have ever seen. I still have it, but it has seen better days. Love my new Single six. Had about 10 others in between, and they were all okay.

MCgunner
June 22, 2008, 09:13 PM
Takes me back. I started revolver life as a teen in about 1969 with a Hawes .22 LR/Mag switch cylinder.....37.50 plus tax. :D I sold it a long time ago. It was a neat gun, being my ONLY handgun. :D

CH47gunner
June 22, 2008, 09:14 PM
I think every good battery needs at least one .22 revolver.

I have a S&W J frame Model 63, with the 4" barrel. Tho this not really an inexpensive revolver it's not actually an expensive one either. I also have a Ruger MKII Target 512 as I don't believe in limiting myself to brands or functions.
I favor the revolver while my Wife shoots the Ruger more than I do. It all works out.

Bruce

MCgunner
June 22, 2008, 09:18 PM
I LOVE my Mark II..:D

22-rimfire
June 22, 2008, 11:06 PM
Hope you enjoy the revolver. My old H&R had sights that tended to work loose. Keep an eye on the screws. Mine also spit hot powder and lead shavings.... I got tired of that and got rid of it.

I handled a 4" S&W 617 today. That is a nice 22 revolver!! There always seems to be another one to buy.

Harley Quinn
June 22, 2008, 11:09 PM
I like revolvers, I have some. The pistol is pretty much king now ;)

rainbowbob
June 23, 2008, 12:34 AM
It didn't do half bad for being an inexpensive gun that you have to practically take apart in order to load (you hit the rod button parallel to the barrel and just underneath it, you pull out the rod and the cylinder comes out completely, you load up the cylinder, replace the cylinder and stick the rod back in through it while pressing the rod button, you fire the gun until empty and then repeat the process - I used the cylinder rod to knock out some of the stubborn empty cases).

Browning:
I have an H&R that was given to me by a friend. The cylinder can be removed and replaced with a .22 mag cylinder. But unless I'm confused (possible) or we are talking about two different revolvers (possible) I can't hardly believe that you have to remove the cylinder to reload.

With my H&R, I half-cock the hammer until the cylinder spins freely. I open the loading gate and use the ejector rod to remove the spent casings - then reload, close the gate, cock and fire SA (or uncock and shoot DA).

Isn't yours the same?

[Edit] I just went back and read the OP and realized you must be talking about a nine-shooter...mine is a six-shooter. So obviuosly they aren't the same. Still - is there really no ejector rod and loading gate?

bestseller92
June 23, 2008, 01:06 AM
The Single Six is the King of .22 single actions. They last FOREVER.

Savage Shooter
June 23, 2008, 01:43 AM
The Single Six is the King of .22 single actions.
Thats debatable I would have to go with the ever so indistructable Bearcat I love mine. I have to admit if i get another .22 revolver its going to be a single six. So can have a .22mag.

22LongRifle
June 23, 2008, 04:32 AM
Now, this is the second H&R revolver I've seen that can hit paper at 25 yards! Normally, they just plain suck.

I have an older standard model from the early 80s that can put nine shots in a 1" group at 25 yards! My jaws dropped! Most of the times H&Rs have patterns instead of groups.

I have an old MK1, the H&R, and Ruger Bearcat. Love them all.

22lr

Legionnaire
June 23, 2008, 07:10 AM
Everyone ought to have a Single Six. And the .22 version of the SP101 is nice (although hard to find, and therefore NOT inexpensive).

woad_yurt
June 23, 2008, 08:03 AM
When you remove the cylinder to unload the empties, use the cylinder pin to push the ejector out. It'll dump all of them at once.

ClemY
June 23, 2008, 08:51 AM
I helped fix one of the top break H&R revos for a friend. Taking them apart is easy enough: drift out the 3 pins. Putting them back together in working order can be a major ordeal. The mechanism is straight out of the 19th century, with no visable improvements made along the way.

I have a few Ruger and S&W .22 revos. The H&R is junk by comparison.

CajunBass
June 23, 2008, 08:54 AM
Revolver or Semi? I like 'em both. And I love 22's. I loved 'em long before ammo costs went up.

I've got a couple of revolvers.

Thats debatable I would have to go with the ever so indistructable Bearcat I love mine. I have to admit if i get another .22 revolver its going to be a single six. So can have a .22mag.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/CajunBass/handguns/002-1.jpg

I solved that problem by getting one of each. :D The Bearcat gets carried most every day. The big Dan Wesson shoots like a laser beam. The Single Six ain't bad either.

Browning
June 23, 2008, 09:15 AM
Rainbow Bob : If you look at the second pic down you can see that there's a loading gate, but no ejector rod to knock out the empties unless you take out the cylinder rod (might as well just take the cylinder out altogether).

cerberus65
June 23, 2008, 09:33 AM
+1 on "no better gun for introducing a new pistol shooter to basic principles" They're brain-dead easy to operate and no recoil to speak of.

I recently acquired a very nice, used S&W model 34 for the express purpose of starting my wife out on it. Well, and my collection felt like it had a hole in it without a .22 revolver. :-)

ZeSpectre
June 23, 2008, 09:42 AM
bought a used heritage rough rider dirt cheap a while back. It's fun for plinking though I wouldn't really recommend anyone else go and buy one unless you can get it really cheap and are only using it for casual/fun stuff.

Interestingly enough mine is great with .22 Magnum but with .22LR it's just overwhelmingly adequate.

Yeah I wish I'd gotten a Single-Six but these days a SS is not exactly what I'd call an inexpensive gun <sigh>.

Wang
June 23, 2008, 10:13 AM
I have a 10 shot S&W 617 with a 4" barrel. It's a really nice 22 revolver. It isn't cheap. It has a really good feel to it. I also have Ruger single six but I like the 617 the most.

woad_yurt
June 23, 2008, 10:30 AM
Clemy, why so harsh on H&Rs? There are millions of those .22s around, working just fine. They're definitely not junk by comparison. An RG, yes, but H&R is good stuff.

broken
June 23, 2008, 10:48 AM
Just finished up a nice set of wood grips from numrich for a arminius hw7 22lr and it turned out slick, plus for around 100.00 its a great shooter,i know you cant seem to get rid of me and oh no its a german junker,but it plain outshoots my old buffalo scout single action,i just cant believe a s&w 22 is so high in stores around here.

kle
June 23, 2008, 11:28 AM
I have three S&W 10-shot revolvers (617-4, 617-6, and 17-8) and love them all. Definitely not cheap, but certainly worth every penny.

Leadhead
June 23, 2008, 11:45 AM
This is my favorite plinking revolver....$250 used.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/Candown/buntline.jpg

Funderb
June 23, 2008, 11:49 AM
I only buy revolvers in 600 caliber.

really, never thought about getting one, but I'm a rifle guy.

tinygnat219
June 23, 2008, 11:53 AM
Whatever you also do, stay away from the Taurus 94. It will seduce you with its price. Then it will give you the STD bouquet as it constanly misfires.

rainbowbob
June 23, 2008, 01:27 PM
If you look at the second pic down you can see that there's a loading gate, but no ejector rod...

Browning:
I missed the pics somehow. I see what you mean. How old is that shooter? Why would they build it without an ejector rod, I wonder?

Everyone ought to have a Single Six.

Actually I had the choice of purchasing a Single Six from a buddy for $200 and turned it down because the crazy thing shot waaay to the left unless you cranked the sights all the way to the right. I don't know if somebody had used it to hammer up wanted posters or what ;) - but it was way out of line. Then another good friend, who thought I needed a .22 revolver, gave me an H&R knock-off of the Single Six (complete with the mag cylinder). It shoots straight and is a fun little plinker.

Browning
June 23, 2008, 01:42 PM
rainbowbob :I missed the pics somehow. I see what you mean. How old is that shooter? Why would they build it without an ejector rod, I wonder?

I honestly don't know how old it is.

1940's maybe.

You could try dragging the fired case out with your fingernail, but it's pretty tough to get it out and bending your nail back is almost a sure thing due to the force you'd have to use.

ClemY
June 23, 2008, 03:48 PM
Clemy, why so harsh on H&Rs? There are millions of those .22s around, working just fine. They're definitely not junk by comparison. An RG, yes, but H&R is good stuff
woad_yurt

I guess I am spoiled by my S&W 17, 617s and 63, and I did repair an older one and was not favorably impressed.

MCgunner
June 23, 2008, 04:02 PM
Quote:
The Single Six is the King of .22 single actions.

Well, Freedom Arms in .22 cal would HAVE to be the most indestructible, most accurate, best made, toughest SA .22 ever made by anyone anywhere in the world and Mars included. :D Kinda weird chambering .22 in a frame that can handle .454 Casull, but hey, they're awesome accurate.

plinky
June 23, 2008, 07:16 PM
I just got my first .22 revolver, a Taurus Tracker. I didn't go looking for it but when the dealer handed it to me I was surprised at how clean the machining was and how solid it felt. It was used but just barely by the looks. It was a deal. Haven't shot it yet. Hopefully it will perform as good as it looks.

My Ruger Mk II has been a mainstay for years but I felt like something more like my DA revolvers would give me better practice. That's all the excuse I needed.

countryrebel
June 24, 2008, 01:19 AM
I have a high standard double nine and it is a lot of fun.

Browning
June 25, 2008, 06:47 PM
plinky : I just got my first .22 revolver, a Taurus Tracker. I didn't go looking for it but when the dealer handed it to me I was surprised at how clean the machining was and how solid it felt. It was used but just barely by the looks. It was a deal. Haven't shot it yet. Hopefully it will perform as good as it looks.

So they're pretty decent huh?

I almost bought one awhile back, but the guy wanted too much for it.

Maybe I'll buy one the next time I see one for a decent price.

Confederate
June 25, 2008, 09:04 PM
I also have to give an enthusiastic "thumbs up" to the Rossi 511 stainless kit gun. Also, the Ruger Single-Six, which every pistolero should have. The Mark II autos are superp when it comes to camping and survival, but I can't think of a bad .22LR pistol right now...well...except the Sterling pocket pistols produced back in the '80s. Even my Jennings J-22 has never caused me a problem. And I reckon the jury is still out on the Beretta 21a, but revolvers tend to be great when the hammer strike is enough to fire them. I still remember the RG .22LR I had in school. Cheap and nickel plated, yet it worked!

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/jriler/Rossi511a.jpg

Rossi M511, about the size of a 63 and
sports an ejector shroud!

plinky
June 25, 2008, 09:28 PM
Browning said: So they're pretty decent huh?

I almost bought one awhile back, but the guy wanted too much for it.

Maybe I'll buy one the next time I see one for a decent price.

Well, I'll reserve judgement till I get it to the range. Should be this weekend. I paid $279 with the Taurus scope base included. I don't dry fire rimfires but by playing with the trigger it seems like the single action is pretty good but the double action feels rather rough. I have several types of ammo so hopefully it will like one of them.

wnycollector
June 26, 2008, 08:11 AM
+1 on H&R revolvers. They are inexpensive and soilidly built.

My step dad carried a 2.5" barrel H&R .32 for a while back in the 70's. It was the 1st pistol I ever shot and I have a soft spot in my heart for them!

foghornl
June 26, 2008, 09:49 AM
Have the 50th Year Single-Six "Convertible".

WAAAAAAAAYYY UP on the "Fun Gun" List. I had a Bearcat for a short time several years back, but it was just a tiny bit too small for my Ham Fists complete with Sausage Fingers.."Fat Hands"

Also had an F.I.E. knockoff of the Colt SAA in .22LR/.22Mag. I sort of very vaguely remember it was called the Bufalo Scout. No matter which cylinder was installed, it sent almost as much lead downrange as it sent sideways.....

kennedy
June 26, 2008, 09:02 PM
+ 1 on high standard double nine, my first handgun, bought in 1973, from a hardware store for $89, shot over 5000 rds thru it and still shoots great.

plinky
June 29, 2008, 03:36 PM
Finally had a chance to try the Taurus Tracker .22LR today. This seems like a good place for a range report.

The gun functioned fine. The single action was a little heavier than I had thought but broke cleanly. I honestly forgot to try the double action. No failures of any kind. The gun is pretty chunky and really doesn't budge when it goes off. If you're used to the jiggling of a semi-auto, the impression is one of total stability.

I tried Federal Champion 40 gr solid and Win, T22 ammo. Didn't get around to Mini Mags. 25yd groups hovered around 2" with T22 possibly having an advantage and shooting a bit under 2". I will shoot more Winchester next time to verify.

Also, next trip I will have a scope mounted. My only gripe with the Tracker is the sights. While they are made to mimic the S&W sights (red ramp front, white outline rear) the red ramp looks like vinyl tape and picked up so much glare that it literally shown white on the target by the end of my session. The Ruger MkII with it's black undercut front sight still had a good sight picture. I will try to improve the sights on the Tracker as I'm sure that part of the group size is due to this problem.

Overall, I'm happy with the little gun and think it will be a very good shooter in the end. I may treat it to a set of Hogue grips.

Edit: BTW, groups were 7 rounds...a cylinder full.

jad0110
June 29, 2008, 05:31 PM
Already have a S&W K-22, but I'd love to add a SA one day - maybe a used sub $100 Heritage Rough Rider as a knock around gun. I'd also like to have a Browning Buckmark or S&W 22A or 41.

I like to get my kicks in, but I really enjoy 22s as well.

Big B
June 29, 2008, 11:10 PM
Had a Rohm RG 10 for two days and had it destroyed before I could take it to the range and hurt myself.(the cylinder had 1/4" or more play locked up)
Now I'm on the hunt for a used 4" s&w 17 or 617(to go with my 28-2). I already have a bunch of 22lr, which are nice and cheap, and the rifle club I'm thinking of joining has a private indoor range for 22 rimfire only. It would only take a few trips to the range to pay for the 22, over shooting just 38/357.:)

Rex B
July 1, 2008, 03:48 PM
Gee, I love those things:

Ruger Super Single Six convertible (2)
Heritage convertible
NAA Black Widow convertible
NAA MiniMaster convertible
H&R 922 12" barrel project (see ad in classifieds)

I need a Bearcat (trade for a Single Six?)
and I also want a regular NAA 1-5/8" .22 Magnum
And a stock, nice H&R 9-shot
..and a S&W
....maybe a Taurus 94SS...

geez:banghead:

rockymtnhigh
July 1, 2008, 07:06 PM
I'll give a +1 to the H&R. Had a 9 shot revolver given to me by my brothers when I was ~12. Many a gopher met their maker d/t that H&R.

Rmart30
July 4, 2008, 10:20 AM
Whatever you also do, stay away from the Taurus 94. It will seduce you with its price. Then it will give you the STD bouquet as it constanly misfires.

I disagree, my 94 has maybe had two misfires in a cpl of thousand rounds.

If you enjoyed reading about "Inexpensive .22 LR Revolvers." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!