Was wondering if you guys would make an "Off Topic" forum for this site

PDA

online poker player
June 23, 2008, 04:23 AM
Hey guys,

I only just found this site the other day, but it seems like it is by far the best gun related website I've seen on the internet to date (from what I've seen so far).

I was just wondering...

Is there any possibility that you guys might make an "off topic" section for the THR forum?

I have been a member of several different forums over the past few years (poker related), and they all generally had some form of Off Topic section, where people could discuss pretty much any subject.

I've noticed that this has always seemed to be a very good addition to any forum, because, it both:

1. Cuts down on people talking about non-relevant/pertinent subjects in the non off topic forums. (for example, let's say someone is just dying to talk about how his wife said she'll XXX if he buys her a new gun, or I dunno, just throwing out a random example, well, obviously this would not be very pertinant in ANY of the forum sections of THR... however, if you had an Off Topic forum, then instead of posting his story in an innapropriate section, where it doesn't belong, he would now have an appropriate place to tell his story, off topic as it might be

2. It is fun and brings the forum community together. Every now and then, it is nice to be able to just relax, and "shoot the sh*t" (no pun intended), when you aren't in the mood to discuss the intricate details of reassembling a Ruger mk3, and have maybe had a couple beers in you.

Overall, I think it would be a good idea to add an Off Topic section to the THR forum. If you guys disagree, I understand, I'm simply throwing the idea out there.

-OPP

If you enjoyed reading about "Was wondering if you guys would make an "Off Topic" forum for this site" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Warren
June 23, 2008, 06:00 AM
We had an off-topic forum but it just did not work out.

So go here:
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php

It's owned and run by the same guys who run this site.

prism
June 23, 2008, 03:47 PM
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=350166

TimboKhan
June 23, 2008, 05:44 PM
THR has a pretty narrow focus as concerns topic matter. Political and other non-gun related chat is welcome at THR's sister forum APS.

I hope this doesn't sound rude, but the chances of having an off-topic forum here at THR are exactly zero. Not that you asked, but in case you do, the chances of having the political forum return to THR are -1.

let's say someone is just dying to talk about how his wife said she'll XXX if he buys her a new gun, or I dunno, just throwing out a random example, well, obviously this would not be very pertinant in ANY of the forum sections of THR... however, if you had an Off Topic forum, then instead of posting his story in an innapropriate section, where it doesn't belong, he would now have an appropriate place to tell his story, off topic as it might be.

This would be inappropriate at THR, period. Keep in mind that we have minors that contribute to these forums and plenty of minors who just look through with their folks. Add to that the fact that we have ladies that post who would find such a story offensive. Even if we did have an off-topic forum, this would still not be appropriate material for THR. I realize I sound like a prude here, but we are a family friendly forum.

TexasRifleman
June 23, 2008, 06:03 PM
There is already an off topic forum. In fact it got so big it needed it's own server!

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com

JWarren
June 23, 2008, 06:33 PM
I've once liked the idea of an off-topic forum. Then I realized why we don't have one on THR.

If you want to do off-topic, there is always

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/

And if you have an specific interest, well you need to post that stuff there.

Hence, I am a member on numerous boards with specific interests.

-- John

springmom
June 23, 2008, 06:51 PM
Welcome to THR. It's a great place to learn about just about anything firearms related. In that vein, no, there won't be an OT forum. For discussions of things not related to firearms, go to Armed Polite Society. That is the APS in the top right of your screen.

And while one of the mods has already edited your post, I'd suggest a re-reading of the forum rules, because X-rated stuff is not welcome here.

Springmom

If you enjoyed reading about "Was wondering if you guys would make an "Off Topic" forum for this site" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!