spanish revolver 25 caliber ?

PDA

sst290
June 23, 2008, 06:43 PM
I found a spanish revolver 5 shot and was told it was a 25 caliber. It's chrome with mother of pearl handles and fold up trigger. The hallmark is what looks like VANCA at the top of a circle. At the bottom of the circle it says registrada. Within the circle is a picture of a raging bull. Any ideas what company this is? The 25 auto ammunition seems to stick in the chambers a little, but it fires. I was told there aren't any 25 revolvers. Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "spanish revolver 25 caliber ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SDC
June 23, 2008, 06:53 PM
Because 25 Auto is a semi-rimmed case, it will work fine in a revolver, but most of these were eclipsed by Browning 1906 copies after WW1. "Vanca" doesn't ring any bells with me, but some of these monograms can be hard to read; do you have any pictures?

RyanM
June 23, 2008, 07:24 PM
Sounds like some type of Velo Dog. Apparently, the .25 caliber ones can fire .25 auto, though I don't know how safe that practice is.

Here's a picture of a Belgian velo dog in .25, next to an NAA mini. http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/MiniR/MinR07/minr07.html

And another Belgian .25. http://www.auctionarms.com/Closed/DisplayItem.cfm?ItemNum=7790646.0

bannockburn
June 23, 2008, 08:18 PM
sst290

The Velo Dog type revolvers were developed by Charles Galand of Liege, Belgium in the late 1800's. Manufacturers throughout Europe, especially in Belgium, France, and Spain, made thousands of these small caliber revolvers for cyclists as means of defense against marauding dogs. Calibers included .22 Rimfire, .25 ACP, and the 5.5mm. Velo Dog. Unfortunately I could not locate any reference to a manufaturer by the name of VANCA; although there were many such arms makers located throughout Spain at that time.

sst290
June 23, 2008, 08:53 PM
Thanks..this revolver says SPAIN on the inside of the hilt and maybe yanca registrada..on top and bottom of a bull within an oval..trying to post a picture..

SDC
June 23, 2008, 10:16 PM
You may be misreading "marca registrada" ("registered trademark", a common Spanish marking) for "vanca registrada"; many of these Spanish guns had elaborate logos and monograms, and a picture might be the only way to nail it down.

sst290
June 24, 2008, 10:46 PM
SDC..your pretty sharp..under a dissecting scope..the V revealed itself as a worn M..and the N..was a R with the top the the loop missing..thus MARCA..so the bucking bull within the oval is a registered trademark..THANKS..

SDC
June 25, 2008, 12:04 AM
Glad to help; if you post a picture of the logo, someone here may recognize it.

If you enjoyed reading about "spanish revolver 25 caliber ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!