S&w M 617...

PDA

bflobill_69
June 23, 2008, 10:27 PM
Hey has anyone bought a new model 617 recently?

If so, what did you pay for it ((if you don't mind my asking...))?

Been pricing them locally and they seem REALLY high here.

Curious,

Bflobill_69

If you enjoyed reading about "S&w M 617..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hawk
June 23, 2008, 10:38 PM
BIN on this (unsold) guy was 620.00

clickage (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=102938278)

Locally, the dealers are close to intr4webz pricing. I'd expect 635.00.
I'm too busy bidding on an old beat up one to go looking right now, though.
After I lose the auction I might have to start digging around.

22-rimfire
June 23, 2008, 10:41 PM
I looked at one at Sportsman Warehouse the other day and it was priced at $700.

The_Shootist
June 24, 2008, 12:14 AM
10 yrs ago (ie prelock) the 617 in 6"bbl, 6 shot config was my first handgun. I feel I'll never sell it, and from what you guys are saying that just reinforces it.

Claude Clay
June 24, 2008, 12:34 AM
about 6 years ago a FFL friend of mine need to flesh out an order so i got a 617, 6" 10 shot for $405. its a pre-lock; sometimes ua get lucky

Stainz
June 24, 2008, 01:07 AM
Locally, the best price for either a 4" or 6" 617 10-shot is $619. The same place has the eight-shot 5" 63 at $589 - pretty dear prices. My 8-shot value-loaded 627 Pro was only $719.

Stainz

Wang
June 24, 2008, 01:49 PM
I bought a 617 about 10 years ago and paid about 450. I thought that was alot, but it is one of the nicest 22 revolvers I have seen. I like the fact that it holds 10 shots.It shoots really nice and I will never sell it but it's nice to know that it is still worth a good deal of money.

35Rem
June 24, 2008, 02:05 PM
Buds Gun Shop has about the best prices for comparisons.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/31/products_id/26307
$618 DELIVERED
I have noticed a price increase in the last week or so, too.

bflobill_69
June 27, 2008, 02:33 PM
Yeah I found a local shop who could come in around $650 and I think that is pretty good.

Thankyou all for your responses!!!

If anyone has bought one recently, what did you thing of the trigger action? Pretty linear? I am sure it wont be as nice as my old model 19...

Wondering if I will need to have some trigger work done to it.

Bflobill_69

Stainz
June 27, 2008, 03:13 PM
While I dry-fire my cf S&Ws with abandon, I think I'd use snap caps - or spent cases - as a safety measure - just double check the latter - then check them again! Dry-fire will 'wear-in' some parts in 1k or so 'clicks' - something you can do while having to watch the TV show you hate. Just be sure those are spent rounds or snap caps - I wouldn't want you to pull an 'Elvis' on us!

Afterwards, a good cleaning of the innards - with the sideplate off, if you've done that before - or just spritz lots of aerosol RemOil through the various crevices - followed by a decent amount of shaking it, while wrapped in a paper towel to absorb residual cleaner. When it comes out clean, you've likely ridded it of manufacturing and breakin residue.Plenty of lubrication will be left, too. You should note an improvement... at least a stronger trigger finger!

I've never tried Wolff springs in a rimfire S&W - so I cannot speak to the use of 'lightened' springs. Breakin will probably suffice, trigger wise. Congratulations! Did you end up with a 4" or 6" 617?

Stainz

BlindJustice
June 27, 2008, 08:54 PM
Bought
Dec. 2005 - 625 5" Bbl .45 ACP. for $625
then thought I'd get a 617 to DA practice
and I have a soft spot for K-frame .22s since
my first handgun I bought was a Model 18
Jan 2006 617 6: Bbl. 10 shot cyl. had to wait
3 weeks til the dealer found one for $629

I have other S&W revolvers but the above two
are my most accurate as well as FUN! THe 617
has Hogue uncheckered Coco Bolo wood with white
spacer and dark red/black butt cap. More than a couple
of people have said, "It's a Beauty" exactly those
words.

Randall

Blueduck
June 27, 2008, 08:58 PM
I bought a 4" model back in December for $599. Trigger pull was terrible in double action, over 14 pounds (High as my scale would go). I ordered a Miculek spring kit, both rebound and main). After a bit of polishing and fiddling with the mainspring screw I found I could get a 10-11 pound double action pull and still be perfectly reliable.

Wanting a bit less pull I tried a C&C extended firing pin, worked great with a nice 8# pull and reliable strikes....for about 200 rounds before the pin broke. That was all live rounds and not a single dry fire. Read later about other people having the same problem with C&S pins.

My 617 is gone now, just lost interest in the whole project. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but frankly I get to the range so rarely now days that the few times I can get out I tended to want to bring the "Big guns" so the main idea of savings with the 617 just did not work out for me, YMMV.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&w M 617..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!