Ruger Standard Model, dates? Value?

PDA

Mumbles_45
June 23, 2008, 10:51 PM
I picked up a Ruger Standard Model .22 pistol at a pawn shop today. I have no idea what it's worth, but I paid $300 even. It was pretty much an impulse buy as soon as I realized it wasn't a Mk III. I don't have a working camera right now or I'd put up a picture.

Can anybody give me any info on this gun? What I know so far:
-4 3/4" bbl, blued
-A100 frame with the mag button on the left side, which I believe puts it between 1971 and 1981
-SN 16-65XXX
-Finish has some wear on the grip and the bolt ears, but nothing too bad

I haven't taken it apart yet because I'm lazy and I really hate taking apart Ruger .22 pistols.

It's sporting stag grips right now, which I'm not a fan of at all, so switching them out will be the first order of business.

Edit to add: I can't get the bolt to lock back, any ideas why?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Standard Model, dates? Value?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bannockburn
June 24, 2008, 07:37 AM
Mumbles 45

Go to http://www.ruger-firearms.com/ to look for your serial number in their serial number history listing.

Mumbles_45
June 24, 2008, 10:40 PM
Thanks, looks like 1980 I guess. Looked up my 10/22s while I was at it. One was older than I would have guessed ('92) and the other I must have bought the day after it left the factory.

Anybody know where I can find some checkered walnut grips without a thumb rest? Brownell's discontinued. Midway is a special order, 90+ days (and technically for a MkII, but I believe they should fit, just with an unecessary cut for the bolt stop), a few small sites have grips that come close, but always missing one of the features I want. And everything seems to have a thumb rest. Oh, and I found one set of factory grips on Ebay, but they turned out to be for pre '72 only. I'd have thought just plain old checkered grips would be the easiest kind to find, and all the crazy thumb rest grips made of exotic woods would be the rare ones.

Clint C
June 29, 2008, 09:55 PM
If it is a Ruger standard or MKI you pull back the bolt and push the saftey lever up. that will hold the bolt open. If the gun is not cocked you cannot put the saftey on, which works as a cocking indicator. If the gun is cocked and you have the saftey on you cannot pull the bolt back.

Mumbles_45
June 30, 2008, 02:46 AM
I know that's how it's supposed to work, but it won't stay open.

XavierBreath
June 30, 2008, 06:53 AM
I have walnut checkered grips for your pistol in my spares box, I believe.

If you don't want the stags, shoot me a PM. We might be able to work a deal.

Mumbles_45
July 1, 2008, 08:11 PM
Well, I pulled it out and looked at it for real today, and discovered the reason the slide wasn't locking back was the hammer pin was not fully seated, so everything was a little out of line. All is well now.

Mumbles_45
July 1, 2008, 09:22 PM
Now that I've had the thing apart and all, I think it's safe to say the pawn shops won this round. It looks like it was someone's first gun and took all the misuse and abuse of a new gun owner with a lot of curiosity and not much instruction. Everything is scarred up or...bent? How does that happen? And it's got about no rifling. Oh well, as long as it goes bang, maybe it'll be good for new shooters I take to the range. This is the first non-1911 pistol I've bought, and in the past I've taken people who did not really enjoy shooting .45. I'm about to go home on leave, maybe while I'm there I can convince my friend to sell me his Mk II (doubtful).

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Standard Model, dates? Value?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!