Speedloader -vs- BUG?

PDA

Katana8869
June 24, 2008, 08:05 PM
What's your preference? Pro's? Con's? Speedloaders are great and with practice they are pretty quick, but having another gun or a small auto readily available seems like a good option too.

Sometimes I carry one or two speedloaders, sometimes I carry my P3AT in my left front pocket. I can't make up my mind which method I like better. What's your choice?

If you enjoyed reading about "Speedloader -vs- BUG?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MedWheeler
June 24, 2008, 08:43 PM
When I was a LEO, I went through a live-fire drill conducted by a traveling training company. The scenario was a "shots fired" call, and I would have no backup. I asked the instructor what I should carry in the drill (regarding how much ammo). He replied "carry what you carry while working". I was still in uniform, having gone to the range straight from shift, and we carried the S&W Model 67 .38 revolver (this was in 1989, I think.) I also carried on my ankle a Charter Arms Undercover .38. On my duty belt were two HKS speedloaders for the 67.
The drill was set up with pop-up targets, and they had made sure there were four "aggressors" in addition to the "innocents". We were trained to double-tap each aggressor. With adrenaline running, I, of course, was dry in the 67 when the last target appeared, simulating a woman with a snub revolver. I quickly ducked behind a corner, drew the Undercover, and double-tapped the target. One to the right shoulder, the other hit the hand "holding" the gun. The instructor then stopped the drill, saying I had reached the end. This was in a wooden structure made to replicate a three-room apartment. He went on to tell me that he was hoping to see a "tactical reload", rather than a second gun. (He did admit that the shot hitting the target's hand likely would have disarmed her, and I admitted that it was not my intended strike point.) I replied that, to me, the fastest reload was indeed a second gun, and reminded him that he told me at the beginning to carry what I do on the job. I then demonstrated a tactical reload for him, one for left-handed shooters, since I am a southpaw..
So, to me, a capable BUG beats a speedloader any time. But, if I can have both...

BikerRN
June 24, 2008, 09:43 PM
I prefer to carry a BUG or two, and Speedloaders for the "Primary" when I'm off duty.

As some of you may know, I prefer Revolvers over the issued "bottomfeeder". :) I've always found a second gun to be faster to access than even shoving a magazine in the bottom of the handle of my noisemaker. It's not that I'm slow with an Autoloader, it's the economy of motion in drawing a second gun that makes it faster.

If I'm off duty and I've shot through all my ammo in my three guns then I have bigger problems than an Autoloader can handle and my tactics sucked.

BikerRN

pinkymingeo
June 24, 2008, 09:51 PM
On my daily walks I avoid the OK Corral. Easy enough, since I live in Florida. On the other hand, if I see a bank robbery in progress, I'm getting out of Dodge in a hurry. I'm not Wyatt Earp. Don't get paid to run the Clanton Gang out of town, or clean up Deadwood. I carry a J-frame without a reload, and don't feel undergunned in the least.

sean m
June 24, 2008, 10:17 PM
Usually a Sp101 with a speed strip in the pocket, and a speed loader in the car. Always a NAA minimag in the front pocket.

cocojo
June 25, 2008, 06:40 AM
When I worked patrol I liked to carry a back up, but not because of ammo and reloading but because of a problem with my primary. Now that I retired I carry my colt Agent or Cobra with two speed loaders.

SAWBONES
June 25, 2008, 08:47 PM
Both.
It's not an "either-or" proposition, ya know; you can do both, and if you can see your way to carrying a main wheelgun plus a backup wheelgun, then carrying an extra speedloader is easy.

Primary plus BUG plus one or two speedloaders = EDC.

If you enjoyed reading about "Speedloader -vs- BUG?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!