AB on knives

PDA

hso
June 25, 2008, 01:32 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ap2CkFjYACI&feature=related

If you enjoyed reading about "AB on knives" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Tourist
June 25, 2008, 02:21 AM
I've seen the video a few times. While he is funny, he is quite knowledgeable on knives. In fact, it will probably be because of AB that I buy a Shun.

I agree with him on most things, except for sharpening. I never send mine out.

John G
June 25, 2008, 02:23 AM
Nice video!

My buddy is a chef, and a big fan of Alton Brown. I'm thinking of getting him a Shun chef's knife for when he returns from the OEF (national guard), just not sure if I should go with the regular chef's, or the Alton's Angles version.

His wife said it won't matter, as long as it's AB approved!

TAB
June 25, 2008, 02:33 AM
I've always liked that guy.

I do agree with him about sending your kitchen knifes out to be sharpend. Sharpening is an art, most poeple are not willing to put the time and/or effort in to learning how to do it. I take mine in with me when I take my other things that need sharpening ( mainly wood working machinery blades)

PTK
June 25, 2008, 02:50 AM
Great guy, I own seasons 1-10. Problem is, I don't send my knives out because I learned how to sharpen properly - but most people can't sharpen properly and should listen to him.

I really liked his "Feasting on Asphalt" series too, especially how it showed him whipping out a pocket knife fairly often as a normal, ordinary thing to do.

CWL
June 25, 2008, 03:08 AM
Bought a set of Shun knives before AB became their rep'. They are my kitchen counter knives.

Dunno why but he gives me the creeps...perhaps it's because he reminds me of Thomas Dolby (reference to 1980's music that did not withstand the test of time!)

Eleven Mike
June 25, 2008, 07:17 AM
From Wiki:

Brown is an avid knife collector. In addition to his personalized line of Shun kitchen knives, in Good Eats and Feasting on Asphalt he can be seen using Spyderco and Kershaw products.

hso
June 25, 2008, 08:31 AM
AB worked with Ken Onion and Kershaw on the development of the Shuns to produce what was supposed to be the perfect marriage of properties.

If you're at the Blade Show you might run into him early on Friday.

Bix
June 25, 2008, 09:09 AM
Somebody ought to send Alton a Sharpmaker :)

One of the reasons I picked a couple Shuns for the kitchen is that they are VG-10 at ~30 degrees -- which is a formula that I [total non-knife-guy] have had good success with on the Sharpmaker.

CZ.22
June 25, 2008, 10:21 AM
Tourist, you're the type that AB would send his knives to.

In I'm Just Here for the Food, he says he has downgraded to five knives- a Forschner boning and cimeter, an electric knife, a paring knife, and an Asian cleaver, which he uses on the earlier seasons of Good Eats, and which is more of a chef's knife than anything else. Later on, he uses Shuns. He also had a whole episode about knives, cutting, and knife mantience. He uses pocketknives many times during his show- in Down and Out In Paradise, he has an SAK with blue handles. In a Chuck for Chuck, Chuck can be seen with a Buck 110. In Salad Daze, Brown uses a Spyderco. In later episodes, he uses either a Kershaw or ZT something or another, with a recurve. This is also the knife he used on Feasting on Asphalt.

Brown is an avid knife collector. In addition to his personalized line of Shun kitchen knives, in Good Eats and Feasting on Asphalt he can be seen using Spyderco and Kershaw products.
He also collects watches and rides motorcycles.

There was also a GLOCK 21 featured in the stew episode.

The Tourist
June 25, 2008, 10:44 AM
Tourist, you're the type that AB would send his knives to.

Actually, I'm not.

When AB began to gravitate towards laminates (in this case, "clads") I figured he had a polisher out there somewhere. There aren't that many of us.

However, he did another little vignette where he had his sharpener come out to his house to--in his words--"work his magic." A guy like AB should know better.

The sharpener shows up in van with a motorized belt machine. In many cases, that's fine if the machine has some form of cooling attachment. This one didn't seem to have anything but the belt.

Same with out professional B&M sharpener on the west side of Madison. All automated equipment. He didn't seem to even know how to polish with waterstones. Yikes, I hope no one brings him a real-deal katana.

It's an important issue. I've seen spots of delamitation when new, right out of the box. The edge appears to have little tuffs of tinfoil sticking to the edge of a blade.

CZ.22
June 25, 2008, 11:47 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=PA7Fkk5eGM0
There is the episode in question. He seems to polish with some spinny-wheel thing after using the belt to grind the bevel.

The Tourist
June 25, 2008, 12:05 PM
Yikes, I shut it off. I couldn't stand the grinding sound.

waterhouse
June 25, 2008, 12:51 PM
Someone got me a Shun for a wedding present. I've only been using it for 6 weeks, but I'm a big fan.

hso
June 25, 2008, 01:45 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=l2X_wKm05-s&feature=related

If you enjoyed reading about "AB on knives" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!