Good Blade And Where To Have It Sharpened

PDA

Monkeybear
June 25, 2008, 10:56 PM
I was sharing with a good friend of mine my new interest in quality knives. He seemed enthusiastic at the prospect of getting a quality blade for use at work. He has been a great friend to me and has helped me out a lot these past few months so I figured I could be the one to provide said blade.

A folder with a pocket clip, liner lock and easy to open one handed are his requirements. A great blade that holds an edge and can stand up to heavy use would be nice as well. I was hoping for around $100-150 to buy the blade and have it professionally sharpened as a budget.

The Lone Wolf T1 (http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=9127&strVarSel=&strCompare=) was a logical choice for me because its the one I choose for myself. I don't really know what is out there but if there is something else in this price range that would be better please let me know.

Also I need a recommendation for a good sharpener and general information about proper etiquette. Basically I need a primer on how to get my knife professionally sharpened.

If you enjoyed reading about "Good Blade And Where To Have It Sharpened" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Tourist
June 25, 2008, 11:25 PM
The Lone Wolf looks like a Bob Terzuola design, and that's a very good one. The blade is made from S30V, a good alloy, however it must be mirror finished to provide the best service.

As for tinkers, I suggest you go to the very place where the degenerates all hang out. It's called "Keeping Sharp" on KnifeForums. It's about the only place I know where five full-time professional tinkers all get together. It has the same "playful adult feel" that we have here at THR. The guys are pros with decades of experience.

Word of advice. If a "story" starts to roll, just nod and pretend you believe every word. Never show a tinker your entire wad of cash until the knife is completely polished. If a tinker asks for something with "vitamin D and riboflavin" he simply means tequila.

If my daughter ever brought home a tinker...

RancidSumo
June 25, 2008, 11:27 PM
Emerson Mini CQC-7. It doesn't get any sharper then it is right out of the box.

feedthehogs
June 26, 2008, 09:52 AM
Look at the sticky at the top of this forum.

CWL
June 26, 2008, 01:27 PM
A good blade in your price range should not need sharpening when new.

The Tourist
June 26, 2008, 05:41 PM
A good blade in your price range should not need sharpening when new.

You are absolutely right--they should not. Most of they do, and most of the problems come from simple grinding errors. I've seen knives where the left bevel and right bevel don't even touch to form an edge.

But consider this. If you buy a new rifle, you check to make sure the screws are all in to the correct torque. You clean it, you test fire it. In fact, most of us consider a man foolish to go afield with a rifle that's never been fired.

Remember the old canard about combat pistols? Just about everyone advised you shoot 200 rounds through a pistol before you stake your life on the gun.

My motorcycle is the most over maintained vehicle in the county.

So why should knives be any different? It's a tool, and some are made on Friday afternoon. Yeah, CNC machinery and laser tolerance checks minimize the rejection rate, but that's my money and my pocket.

Like anything made of metal, better check it first.

DeTerminator
June 26, 2008, 06:21 PM
I'm not sure if you're looking for a sharpener (meaning a system of sharpening) or someone that will professionally sharpen your knife.

If you need it professionally sharpened, I have only one person I can recommend that I have dealt with on a personal and professional level.

Send a P.M. to The Tourist...

Later,

Kerry

Tom Krein
June 26, 2008, 06:26 PM
That knife was actually designed by Bill Harsey. He is a custom knifemaker and builds some seriously kick @ss stuff! Bill is good people. That IS a good knife and is built pretty stout! It is pretty good sized also!

The Tourist has been know to do a nice job sharpening, but not sure if he is sharpening Tactical Folders. If not you could shoot me a PM and I could touch up the edge for you...

Tom

The Tourist
June 26, 2008, 06:45 PM
The Tourist...not sure if he is sharpening Tactical Folders.

Yes, I do. I carry Emersons as my EDCs quite often.

What I spoke about was knives designed, built and sharpened as weapons. Now granted, I believe that an 800 year old fully restored katana is more a thing of art, no matter its roots.

However, I'm in an enviable position. As the company owner, I can choose my projects.

Tom Krein
June 26, 2008, 07:31 PM
Wasn't trying to put words in your mouth, I guess I read between the lines a bit too much in that other post. :)

It IS good being the boss isn't it!

Tom

Valkman
June 26, 2008, 08:03 PM
It IS good being the boss isn't it!

Yes my wife enjoys it quite a bit! :D

The Tourist
June 26, 2008, 09:17 PM
Wasn't trying to put words in your mouth

No prob. I'm a big boy, a bump here or there is simply the buy in.

My point was "a realization of conscience" not pre-judging what kind of knife you carry. That is a decision only you can make.

And I do sharpen for soldiers. I try to put my best work into knives for soldiers about to be deployed. I'm even trying to figure out how to get more involved in charities.

If you carry a weapon, that's totally fine with me--I carry things which guaranty me a chance of survival. In all things, there is a line of decorum where you have to question yourself.

Monkeybear
June 26, 2008, 09:26 PM
I'm not sure if you're looking for a sharpener (meaning a system of sharpening) or someone that will professionally sharpen your knife.

I was hoping to give my good a friend a robust knife with an edge that will spoil him; help him truly appreciate a well designed/constructed and finely sharpened knife as a craft and not just another Gerber.

He wants a Suzuki C50 too, but I'm not that good a friend. :p I told him before that I would make him a good deal on my old '98 VLX Deluxe as a starter bike but he passed on it. Its a great scooter for getting around town in Houston traffic and I'll miss it. I really wish I could've sold it to someone I knew so I could see it every once in a while but all the guys I know seem think displacement makes the rider.........whatever.

Tom Krein
June 26, 2008, 09:34 PM
Send it to The Tourist then!

From what I have heard he puts a gnarly edge on a blade.

Tom

DeTerminator
June 26, 2008, 10:16 PM
Just give The Tourist a PM!

You will be happy that you did!

Later,

Kerry

Valkman
June 26, 2008, 10:33 PM
Tom or The Tourist will work - Tom is also known for extremely sharp knives. :)

DeTerminator
June 26, 2008, 10:34 PM
I really don't know what to post at this point,

There are people that know how to sharpen knives. There are people that make it there lives to know how to sharpen knives. There are people that are truly obsessed into perfecting making a sharp knife. There are people that can scare a person with what they can do with a blade.

There are people that like a good tequila. And with that, I suggest getting a hold of The Tourist.

Nuff said,

Kerry

Monkeybear
June 27, 2008, 12:13 AM
Thanks for all your input guys! I'll contact Tom or The Tourist once I have the knife and see if either one of them has the time/inclination to accept me as a patron.

I'll look into Emerson blades as well Cold Steel and Benchmade. I just need a knife with a really good blade that will keep an edge, so I guess the type of steel is more important than brand.

If you enjoyed reading about "Good Blade And Where To Have It Sharpened" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!