Ar-15 bumpfiring

PDA

richardsoll
June 25, 2008, 10:59 PM
I cant seem to bumpfire my new ar-15!!! could it be that the trigger is to stiff?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ar-15 bumpfiring" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Joe Demko
June 25, 2008, 11:23 PM
5.56 is trickier to bump than harder recoiling cartridges. With the price of ammo these days, why bother?

sarduy
June 25, 2008, 11:28 PM
Keep trying! It is like riding a bike, you have to get a feel for it. You can bump fire almost anything once you do. Keep your trigger finger solid and push the gun forward. Two stage triggers are the easiest. Good Shooting. And you DO NOT NEED a rubber band or some $40 gimmick to do this!

donjulio
June 25, 2008, 11:37 PM
Bumpfiring is just pointless showboating. It has no usefull purpose in weapons training, and is considered by many to be dangerous. If you want to fire a full auto, then buy one, or rent one at a range. As with so many other situations, there is no substitute for the real thing.

Big45
June 25, 2008, 11:46 PM
at .50/round, who bumpfires anymore:rolleyes:

Bartkowski
June 25, 2008, 11:47 PM
Its your ammo so I will not tell you how to use it, but I don't know why you want to bump fire a .223.

Anyway, just keep trying, you'll get the hang of it.

chris in va
June 26, 2008, 12:50 AM
C'mon guys. A bumpfire every now and then is fun. I call it the 'poor man's full auto'. Put a full mag through it, grin and laugh...then carry on as usual.

And since when is 5.56 50 cents a round? Target stuff?

Zach S
June 26, 2008, 11:14 AM
Decent plinking ammo was about 40 cents a round last time I got it, wolf was much cheaper though...

Bumping a .223 with a milspec trigger is tricky, but doable. I've found that I have much better control of where I punch holes when I cheat and use the rubber band.

Bumping a 9mm, that is cheaper to feed, is easier. But, like with the .223, I have better control of where I punch holes when I cheat and use a rubber band.

dewage83
June 26, 2008, 11:16 AM
Bumpfiring is just pointless showboating. It has no usefull purpose in weapons training, and is considered by many to be dangerous. If you want to fire a full auto, then buy one, or rent one at a range. As with so many other situations, there is no substitute for the real thing.
+1 ....but its your gun/money/saftey

buck00
June 26, 2008, 11:45 AM
I know you can burp/bump fire an AK, but some rifles don't take to it well.

It generally isn't the rifle to do it with. :scrutiny:

JFettig
June 26, 2008, 06:50 PM
3.5lb trigger + levang muzzle break does it real nicely for me... from the shoulder :D

Jon

justin 561
June 26, 2008, 08:01 PM
It generally isn't the rifle to do it with.

Huh? It's a great one to do it with. It's more fun than a AK(30rd mag) or SKS. Instead of feeling like the taliban, you get to feel like a real GI!

Supertac45
June 26, 2008, 08:07 PM
I can dump a 30 round mag on target now with control faster than I can afford.

Lovesbeer99
June 26, 2008, 08:07 PM
OK, I'll bite. What is bumpfiring?

mlw332
June 26, 2008, 08:10 PM
just keep at it. i have a friend that has been trying for almost a year now and i think he has done it once ha ha. but just keep at it and it dont matter what the ammo cost if it makes you happy its all worth it

Hiaboo
June 26, 2008, 08:16 PM
Just keep a really really stiff finger, heck use a stick if you have to.... Put the stick through the guard and pull the gun forwards w/ the handle guards only... This can get you in trouble quicker than you can say Ha-Ha that was cool!.. (I'd know..) In other words, I take no responsiblity.

yosarian
June 26, 2008, 08:16 PM
This is a bumpfire http://youtube.com/watch?v=U-nUA52BS3c

richardsoll
June 26, 2008, 10:12 PM
Ok, so i see that the majority of thr is against it.
Donjulio is right, it is just for show boating. so i can say "hey, look what an AR-15 can do," to my buddy that bought a mini-14!

And just how is it "unsafe"?

Floppy_D
June 26, 2008, 10:26 PM
Treat your left arm as a "gas pedal," and push forward gently (in a safe direction) until the trigger engages, and it fires. Gradually increase pressure with your left arm, and it will work. If you're lucky, you'll be as sexy as this guy (click) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTEoZ9fW_Rg). :D

taliv
June 26, 2008, 10:27 PM
NOW THEREFORE, In the interest of brotherly love, peace, friendship, self-promotion, political grandstanding, and all that, I TALIV, Prince and Grand Master of the Sovereign Military Hospitaller Order of St Adrian of Nicomedia, Patron saint of Arms Dealers, of Cookeville, of Algood and of Baxter, Most Humble Guardian of the Poor of Jesus Christ, Do hereby Proclaim:

richard, I wouldn't say we're against it... it is FUN and entertaining. We're just not under any illusions that it is useful beyond making heat/noise.

also, while I think it's poor form/sour grapes to whine about things others are doing just because you can't afford them, it is probably accurate to say that when the price of ammo doubles in a year, the interest in bump firing plummets

Hiaboo
June 26, 2008, 10:30 PM
ALSO the big thing here is that it is a safety issue.. The wrong person could be nearby when you do it and it could turn your day rather black and bad quick.

Floppy_D
June 26, 2008, 10:32 PM
It's not something to try at a range. I'd try that in Middle of Nowhere, NC (TM) with a spotter and a good backstop. Anything else is asking for trouble.

donjulio
June 26, 2008, 10:37 PM
What is poor form is to use a firearm in a way other than it was intended. It is dangerous because while showing off at the range, you are holding a weapon that is cycling far faster than it was intended to, with your weak hand, by the handguard, while your shoulder and strong hand have very little contact with the weapon. Not only is it irresponsible to practice, it is irresponsible to promote in a public forum. Full auto is great fun. Bump firing is not the same thing. But as was mentioned earlier, it is your safety/gun/money, do what you want with it.

richardsoll
June 27, 2008, 08:45 PM
You guys are kidding me right?

1. Ranges? Ok, I forget that the majority of you live on ranges. I live in bfe, and do all my shooting out in the middle of nowhere.

2. Money? price of ammo? Thats why i bought the gun. Well mostly for coyote, but also for a fun plinker. TO HAVE FUN WITH! if I chose to blow $100 on a couple of bump firing sessions, then so be it. It's my choice.

3. Saftey? you think the ar recoils that bad? I dont know about you, but even if my stong hand wasnt "barely toutching", I would still feel i have plenty of control. imo, an ar is barely more recoil than a 10/22. Take a look on youtube. seach "bump fire ar-15", watch any of the videos and tell me if they look like they are about to loose control.
Now as far as spoters, good backstops, and the wrong person around. I feel normal shooting safey is more than fine. in my opinion, anyone gets hurt bumpfiring, probably should not be shooting anyway.

4. My god, I wish i could really vent. this blows me away! But thanks for the support from the few of you.

Joe Demko
June 27, 2008, 09:01 PM
So, what you were really looking for was just validation?:scrutiny:

Compare your last post to your OP. How much of that additional information were your readers supposed to divine through psychic powers?

richardsoll
June 27, 2008, 09:39 PM
all i asked was what i was doing wrong. not opinions.
I dont think you need that info to answer my origional question, do you?

colt.45
June 27, 2008, 09:47 PM
i dont see anything wrong with it... sure your blowing money, but it's a whole lot cheaper than going out and butiny a $26,000 m-16! right? if a few bump firing's cures his itch then in my opinion, it's better that wasting money on an m-16.

as for the safety factor, you would have to be quite the whimp to lose control bump firing... seriously...

and it's use and useefulness? welll look at how usefull a real full-auto is. pretty much only good for suppressive fire, or quick destruction of cover... literally useless to a civillian in the first place so if you're gonna dog on someone for bump firing, dont say it's pointless because of ammo costs unless i can find you petitioning on at the damn knobb creek machinegun shoot! jesus! ... :scrutiny: FUN COSTS MONEY!!! :what: :p

and watching this guy(www.poormansmachinegun.com) it looks like if there was a use for a fast rate of fire in the first place... it can be done very well with bump firing and be put to use.

good day;)

AR-15 Rep
June 27, 2008, 10:29 PM
I say have fun with it, as long as your not going to get hurt or hurt anything else, have a little fun and enjoy living in a place that you can do it. Yes ammo is expensive, but it's not my ammo.

Zach S
June 27, 2008, 11:43 PM
I do wish I could bump fire my .22. I emptied 6 BDM mags trying it. Out of 150 rounds, I didnt even get a double...

donjulio
June 28, 2008, 12:00 AM
"all i asked was what i was doing wrong."

Have you tried saying, "Hey ya'll watch this."?

It could work.

TIMC
June 28, 2008, 12:09 AM
You can try following these instructions, it does work. Have fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVfwFP_RwTQ&feature=related

Zach S
June 28, 2008, 01:25 AM
"all i asked was what i was doing wrong."

Have you tried saying, "Hey ya'll watch this."?

It could work.
Nothing good ever follows that phrase. Not when I said it anyway...

AlexC
June 28, 2008, 03:30 AM
Almost all of the bumpfire videos in Youtube feature a group of teens with baggy pants, so I guess most people associate it with immaturity *shrug*

I just think shooting from the hip isn't fun. It is possible to bumpfire on the shoulder, but most people find they can't do it... so as long as you are OK with that shooting style, have fun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ar-15 bumpfiring" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!