Ok. There is something funny going on here.

PDA

CajunBass
June 26, 2008, 07:40 AM
Back when I first started shooting I considered myself a "revolver guy." Not that I really thought about it, it's just every cowboy on TV, and all the cops carried revolvers, so that's what I wanted. A Model 19, Ruger Security Six's and Blackhwaks, and Super-Blackhawks..Even a few Taurus Revolvers.

Then I joined a club and started to shoot IPSC. Cool. Now I need a Semi. And I got hooked on them. Traded off all my revolvers. Got a 1911, then a S&W 39-2. Then a couple of Ruger 22's, a Kel-Tec, an XD, another 1911, even a GLOCK. :eek: I still carry a semi for "serious social work" as I believe Mr. Cooper, or perhaps Mr. Skelton called it, BUT.....

Lately I realized that it's been revolvers that are turning up in my gun cabinet. They're all 22's, but they ARE revolvers. Very strange. I went for years and didn't even look at a revolver and now there's a Ruger Bearcat, a Single Six, and a Dan Wesson 22 in there, and a Smith and Wesson 17 on layaway.

I'm gonna have to study on this. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Ok. There is something funny going on here." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kle
June 26, 2008, 09:13 AM
please keep us informed of your findings.

Me, I went from semi-auto to revolver, back to semi-auto, back to revolver...and now I'm back to semi-auto again (though I still keep all of my equipment to make it easier to switch back and forth =)

bannockburn
June 26, 2008, 09:16 AM
CajunBass

Your post reads like the story of my handgunning life, even down to some of the same models that I wanted and eventually acquired. First, I started out with wheelguns, of both the SA and DA variety. Then gradually came an interest in semi-autos, which soon overtook the revolver craze. Nowadays though I find myself gravitating back to revolvers, but without the exclusivity I had in the past. I'm not looking for any sort of balance of power between the two; just whatever peaks my interest at some moment in time. I think there's room enough for both revolvers and semi-autos in my collection.

foghornl
June 26, 2008, 09:40 AM
Been through that wash-rinse-spin-repeat cycle myself....

First center-fire handgun purchase was a .357 Blackhawk, then a .41Mag Blackhawk, Charter .44Spl Bulldog, .44Mag Super Blackhawk, Mdl 59 S&W..and a whole big sackful of various .22LR handguns..SA/DA/Auto

Oh yeah, almost forgot the Browing Hi-Power somewhere in that mix.

Now have Single-Six, MKII, .357 Vaquero, .357 50th Year Blackhawk, an RG snubby DA ".38 Spezial", couple of 1911's, and a Traditions "1859 Navy Colt" blackpowder

Goblin
June 26, 2008, 09:59 AM
The ever-swinging "Pendulum of Life".

James T Thomas
June 26, 2008, 01:04 PM
The phenomenon you describe can be attributed to taste.

Take a trip to your nearest IHop or Bob Evans and order breakfast.

Be sure to mention that you love waffles!

Shade00
June 26, 2008, 01:20 PM
When I got into shooting (not long ago) I was first only interested in semi-autos. Then, slowly, I began to sway toward wheelguns... and now I have far more wheelguns than semi-autos. My first S&W .22 revolver is on the way. Might pick up another one soon.

ClemY
June 26, 2008, 09:27 PM
I have been interested in guns since I was a little kid. My first gun was a Marlin 39A in 1963. My first handgun was a S&W Model 27-2 in 1974. I still have both of them and I have added a bunch more since then. Along the way I have sold something like 6 or 7, but I have kept the other 50 plus. At the moment, I am heavily into revolvers, shooting a lot of .22 stuff, partly due to cost, partly due to the pure fun factor. In the last few years I have had more money available to indulge myself. I live in a 1 gun a month state, and it is becoming easier to keep up with that pace.

easyrider6042004@yahoo.ca
June 26, 2008, 10:07 PM
My first handgun was a S&W .22 Magnum revolver. It was followed by about two dozen autos, mostly 1911s, and about a dozen revolvers, a Colt Python and various S&W.

Now 25 years later, I'm down to 3 S&W L-frames, a GP100 and a Blackhawk (all in .357 magnum), a S&W M17-2 .22, plus a few "survival" rifles in .22 lr, 357 magnum and 7.62 russian.

Maybe I just got tired of picking up .45 brass.

owlhoot
June 26, 2008, 11:43 PM
There's nothing funny going on, Cajun. That's how it ought to be. The three essential revolvers are a S&W m17 or 18 in .22. A m19 or 66 in .357, and a J frame snubby. Of course, if you also are bitten by the SA revolver bug that's a whole 'nuther can of worms.

Shade00
June 27, 2008, 01:45 AM
Hmm, can I substitute a Model 34 for a 17/18? I am afraid I like J-frames too much and can't afford to buy any K-frames right now to meet the essentials..... :uhoh:

MCgunner
June 27, 2008, 09:05 AM
I didn't discover autos, except for .22s, until the 80s. I still only have four center fire autos out of 21 handguns. I guess I'm a die hard. :D I never got tacticool, too old I guess. And, I never really thought Cooper was much more'n an opinionated gun writer.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ok. There is something funny going on here." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!