IZHMECH MP-412 Rex

PDA

Footcheese
June 26, 2008, 11:37 AM
I'm a revolver fan in his late 20s so naturally when I fired up the latest Battlefield game (Battlefield: Bad Company) I was surprised to see the sniper class, while playing as Middle East Coalition, has a rather interesting looking top-break revolver as a sidearm. Makes perfect sense that a sniper would need a side arm with a little extra fire power but what the heck was it? Well after digging around on the world.guns.ru site I was happy to find it, the IZHMECH MP-412 Rex! It not only is a top-break design but apparently the frame is made of polymer. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen but it certainly looks cool.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg49-e.htm

If you enjoyed reading about "IZHMECH MP-412 Rex" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RecoilRob
June 26, 2008, 06:57 PM
The polymer grip only surrounds a steel subframe which does all the work. The Russians don't usually make guns that are frail...and I doubt that this one would be anything but a tank.

I've got 4 IZH rifles and pistols and they all work very well.

And Welcome to THR!

theNoid
June 26, 2008, 07:39 PM
That's just freakin' kool looking. Now if I could only get one in rimfire please. :D

Noidster

Footcheese
June 27, 2008, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I've been a lurker for some time now.

The gun looks like something out of Demolition Man or The Fifth Element. I guess it's unique looks are what makes it a good option for a video game. I think I'd definitely buy one if it were sold here.

I wonder how the barrel / underlug is structured under all of that?

Otony
June 27, 2008, 01:47 PM
Footcheese,

The polymer portion is what you see behind and below the cylinder. The rest is steel.

+1 to the idea of seeing one of these in .22LR. I can easily envision a 7 to 10 shot version that could take the place of the sadly departed H&R 999 Sportsman.

Light weight, easy to manufacture, I am surprised no one is doing it already.

Onmilo
June 27, 2008, 09:16 PM
And in an emergency you could use the gun as a hammer, jack handle, boat anchor, or channel dredge!:)

theNoid
June 28, 2008, 11:24 AM
The polymer portion is what you see behind and below the cylinder. The rest is steel.

And even then, under the polymer is a steel frame so strength really isn't an issue there. Yuppers, 22lr with a 22mag cylinder on the side...that's what daddy needs.

Noidster

wheelgunslinger
June 28, 2008, 12:08 PM
uh, I think it's fine the way it is. 357 mag in a top break, polymer/steel, easily carried package? yes, please.

22? what the heck for?

armoredman
June 28, 2008, 12:37 PM
Too bad it's not imported.

Footcheese
June 30, 2008, 11:37 AM
Heck, why not chamber it in .357 Maximum?

I wonder what these 2 little fellas would think when they first see it? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Wild_Pig_KSC02pd0873.jpg) "Hmmm that's interesting looking."

theNoid
June 30, 2008, 08:19 PM
22? what the heck for?
Because shooting .22 is fun, and besides...why not?

Noidster

theNoid
June 30, 2008, 08:23 PM
DOH!!!

SaMx
July 1, 2008, 06:26 PM
I've run across a description of this before. I really like it, but I think any "futuristic" looking revolver is really neat. Plus being a top break makes it unique. I really wish this was being imported.

If you enjoyed reading about "IZHMECH MP-412 Rex" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!