what is the best smith and wesson model 29

PDA

tuckrr
June 26, 2008, 08:32 PM
i prefer a 8-3/8 inch barrel and only a half underlug, and of course a blue finish.
what are your favorite types of model 29s and where might i find the one that meets my requirements?

If you enjoyed reading about "what is the best smith and wesson model 29" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Oro
June 26, 2008, 08:44 PM
I prefer a 3" barrel, round butt, and factory combat grips. I use mine for carry sometimes and this is the most "packable" and controllable variant of the 629 I have found. I agree in general blue is prettier, but this was to be a woods gun when duty called, so I went with stainless.

Good places to find them are GunBroker of course, Auction Arms, and the classifieds at the S&W Forum. They appear less frequently here than at the S&W specific forum. Gun shows and pawn shops, if you can find what you want, will likely be cheaper than the above sources by a little bit - not a fortune. I have an acquaintance locally who has one for sale - late model, blue, 6.5" barrel, cased, ANIB, one of the new "Classic line" I think (had IL). I can't recall the price but it was VERY fair. Let me know if that interests you - I'll see him this Saturday.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd275/kamerer/S-W/629-1/IMGP2534-1.jpg

tuckrr
June 26, 2008, 09:24 PM
im actually looking for a 8 and 3/8s model, also do u happen to know what specific model is best for me. like 29-1, 29-2, 29-3 or whatever. i just cant find a site that lists the differences between all the variants.

Oro
June 26, 2008, 09:39 PM
OK, these are my thoughts, others can disagree:

1) I do not like guns post 1997 with the CNC cylinder stop, MIM hammer and trigger, internal firing pin. No functional reason, just sort of aesthetic - mostly the CNC cylinder stop down the side - just looks cheap and ruins the lines. I'm very "visual" so this is my beef, it certainly is not every one's.

2) I REALLY don't like guns past 2001 with the Internal Lock, but again, others don't mind it so much. I will not rant and rave and say "don't buy one with the lock," - but since there are functionally identical ones out there without out, I simply buy an older one instead and save a little $$.

3) Starting with "-2E" in about 1987, they started getting "Enhancements" to the lockwork to increase strength - longer cylinder bolt, radiused hand, etc. These are nice enhancements, but the "no dash" and "-1" models work just fine. The gun had been in continuous production for 30 years (in the 29 carbon steel variant) before these "enhancements" came along. My opinion is get the gun that is the best mechanically (tightest b/c gap and lock up, best trigger, etc). regardless of whether it is "no dash," -1, -2, -2E, -3, or -4. -5 is Ok if you want (1997 to 2001), but -6 and later I don't like (just the lock, not really anything else). If you are going to shoot 300gr loads at higher velocities on a regular basis, or push or exceed SAAMI spec on the rounds with handloads, then you need the enhancements of a -2E model or later. If not, don't worry about that.

Others can add their opinions which will vary.

jmr40
June 26, 2008, 09:52 PM
Just personal preference, but if I was going to carry a .44 with a barrel longer than 6" it would be my Marlin. I own 2 629's a 3" and 4". The 4" gun is my favorite. The snubby is mainly used with .44 specials. I had one of the 5" barrels with a full lug and like a fool I sold it. Maybe someday I will find a good deal on another.

Catherine
June 26, 2008, 10:10 PM
The S&W Model 29 in 29-2 and 29-3 are VERY nice guns. Six (6.5"?) inch barrels is what I know about. I have Never shot the shorter or longer barrels in those models.

Anyway... I have owned and shot those models. One was a gift to me and one was my husband's. We sold the 44s. I mainly did because I had more in 45Colt and kept my ' bigger guns' in that caliber. Same for him. They are VERY nice guns... the Model 29. One of ours had the wood box, papers, tools, etc. and the other one did not have the famous 'wood case'.

I rented a Model 629 (Stainless steel, non wood grips-Hogue, etc.) but that was many YEARS ago. Pre lock and so forth at my former gun store's range back east. The original Model 29 is much prettier in my not so humble opinion. They both shoot well. I shot cowboy loads or specials in that rental gun.

I shot some magnums but I did MOST of my shooting with 44 SPECIALS or lighter loads. I used this firearm for the 'woods' too. In an Uncle Mike's shoulder holster. It was NOT my plinking gun! I did practice with it but it was mainly a 'woods' gun and as I said it was a GIFT to me. I did not choose it or pick it out myself. It was a surprise GIFT to me.

If you find one that is well taken care of and know the background on... you will be VERY pleased.

Best wishes to you.

Catherine

Catherine
June 26, 2008, 10:15 PM
PS:

They have the pretty replica CLASSIC guns out now in Smith and Wesson. I think that they may have those 'locks' though. NO clue... I bought my S&W firearms right before they went to the 'locks' - 1998-2001. Some people have NO problems with them though. I don't know much about it so NO offense on my ignorance.

That may help you too.

Catherine

tuckrr
June 27, 2008, 01:20 AM
thx for all of your help, i was just wondering which variant is the BEST if im looking for a 83/8inch barrel, and is there a site that can list the differences in every one of the variants, like -1 vs -2 vs -3 vs -4 etc.

Oro
June 27, 2008, 01:30 AM
Other than the detailed description I gave above, I do not know of a source that details the descriptions other than purchasing the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson, 3rd Edition. It will tell you what I related above, basically. However, for $30 or so delivered from Amazon or wherever, it is a great value and a wonderful book. Beautifully illustrated, well written by knowledgeable and literate guys, just a great gun book like few I have ever seen.

harmonic
June 27, 2008, 01:54 AM
You can check gunbroker.com for what you're looking for. Looks like it will run $700 up.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.asp?SearchResults.asp?SearchType=0&Keywords=Smith+and+Wesson&Cat=2325

and is there a site that can list the differences in every one of the variants, like -1 vs -2 vs -3 vs -4 etc.

Yeah, here, on THR:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=356710

Best of luck. Sometimes the search is as much fun as the find. When I was living in **********, I'd drive all over the state looking for Smiths.

Catherine
June 27, 2008, 01:56 AM
You're welcome.

I heard of that one book that the other person mentioned HERE and it is supposed to be VERY good.

I only have one S&W book by Roy Jinks and he wrote many of them.

Catherine
PS:
http://www.theswca.org/
I don't belong to this group but I heard it is VERY good for all kinds of S&W information.

tuckrr
June 27, 2008, 02:40 AM
i mean, i am finding a bunch of great looking 8 3/8 inch blue 29s, but im just wondering if i want a -10 -2 -7...
on wikipedia the model 19 has a description for each -variant. i wonder if i can find something similar.

Oro
June 27, 2008, 05:22 AM
Damn, I'm sorry I went out of my way above to describe the variations that the dash numbers mean. I'm sure the other resondents now feel the same way. Christ, you can buy the book and do your own guessing, or listen to those of us who have owned them for years. Sorry our collective 60 years of wisdom wasn't enough.

Catherine, harmonic, and i have really tried hard to give advice, and your best response is "cant you do better than wikipedia?" Jeez....

A

dwf6666
June 27, 2008, 10:59 AM
You're welcome.

I heard of that one book that the other person mentioned HERE and it is supposed to be VERY good.

Catherine
PS:
I don't belong to this group but I heard it is VERY good for all kinds of S&W information.

The link that you provided is the S&W Collectors Association. They run a closed forum for members only. The link you want is:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve

This is an open forum where every aspect of Smith & Wessons are discussed. They are very fine people over there and will help anyone interested in Smith & Wessons.

Don

LA Rondo
June 27, 2008, 12:11 PM
Best of luck. Sometimes the search is as much fun as the find. When I was living in **********, I'd drive all over the state looking for Smiths.I s'ppose that must have been when gas was still a buck and quarter or less per Gal ... ;)

Schofield3
June 27, 2008, 12:36 PM
http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ammunition/GAfifty_101105A.jpg

So Sweet:D

harmonic
June 27, 2008, 01:11 PM
I s'ppose that must have been when gas was still a buck and quarter or less per Gal ...

Now that you mention it, yeah, that's the case. You're right, I wouldn't be driving like that these days.

kamerer, thanks for that valuable information. I've been collecting/shooting/selling Smiths since the early 1970s and I didn't know all of that. At some point I'll probably buy a recent manufactured Smith and that info is valuable.

MMCSRET
June 27, 2008, 08:04 PM
I have a 29-2 in my safe that is as you describe in the first post.

Catherine
June 27, 2008, 09:42 PM
QUOTE:

You're welcome.

Catherine
PS:

The link that you provided is the S&W Collectors Association. They run a closed forum for members only. The link you want is:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve

This is an open forum where every aspect of Smith & Wessons are discussed. They are very fine people over there and will help anyone interested in Smith & Wessons.

Don

~~~~~

Dear Don,

Thanks. I know some people who belong to the public/open board and some people who belong to the private/members only board in the collectors group. I should have clarified that here.

Take care and have a good weekend.

Blessings to you and yours,

Catherine

Confederate
June 27, 2008, 10:25 PM
Well, I think you're gonna be hog-tied with a long barrel like that and would urge you to get a 6-incher or a rifle. Me, I like stainless, so put a six in front of the twenty-nine. Still, the older blued finish was awfully nice. Trouble is, the new bluing isn't the deep luxurious bluing of the 80s and it wears off. Stainless also resists gas cutting and blast better than carbon steel.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/jriler/SW629_Emblem.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/jriler/SW629_3.jpg

Hutch
June 28, 2008, 12:19 AM
Confederate, that's mighty pretty. A P&R 629. They don't fall out of every bush you shake...

Gordon
June 28, 2008, 12:39 AM
I have a 1959 4" that is retired and in about 85%. NONE of the latter ones have the 'swiss watch' feel this one has.
I have a 1969 8 3/8 29-2 blue in about the same shape that is accurate and fun, but I am retireing that to the safe also.
My 1979 629 6.5 has been carried alot, shot quite a bit but still buffs out pretty nice. Mad Dog made a holster for it that turns it into one hell of a hunting side arm.
But for frequent carry , where ever - on the trail or in town, NOTHING beats my pre Mountain gun 629 ' Mountain Revolver' from 1989 ! This gun is very well put together, has 2E enhancements but is all forged and startlingly accurate. I have a great old Lawrence 120 Keith holster for it on a 2" Lawrence belt with 12 loops.- perfection and it thrives on 300 grain loads with my favorite cast 320 wideflatpoint over a case full of Win. 296 !
I owned a 329 when they first came out but soon sold it as it was too cheesy made for my tastes-yuck!

Catherine
June 28, 2008, 05:45 AM
Beautiful pictures and thanks for sharing them!

Catherine

tuckrr
June 28, 2008, 07:08 AM
thx confederate and every1, confederate what is your personal favorite -? if i was gonna get the 8 3/8 and in blue.

Dave P
June 28, 2008, 09:07 AM
Here is the best:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v371/Finster123/Pistols/RightSide.jpg

AlPackin
June 28, 2008, 09:45 AM
I'm wanting one like this next

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj300/AlPackin/29-3.jpg

Gordon
June 28, 2008, 03:50 PM
That's cool. Catherine: I've posted pictures of everything I named on THR before and got less hits than a RG22 or a Rossi post! Not worth my effort to unpack and layout them again-sorry.

Confederate
June 28, 2008, 04:37 PM
confederate what is your personal favorite -? if i was gonna get the 8 3/8 and in blue.
Well, my personal favorite would be a pristine model from the 80s. You may find it difficult to get one with a pinned barrel and recessed chambers, but that would be my favorite. Not sure that's what you were looking for, but recessed chambers would be worth some extra $$$.

I certainly wouldn't get a Classic, one with an underlug barrel.

But I ran across this one (http://www.gunsamerica.com/928126514/Guns-For-Sale/Gun-Auctions/Pistols/Smith-Wesson-Revolvers/Full-Frame-Revolver/Smith_Wesson_29_5_44_mag_8_3_8_blu.htm), a 29-5. Might want to check it out.

Guillermo
June 28, 2008, 04:53 PM
My favorite is the 5inch but they are difficult to find.

6 inches is enough barrel for me. Beyond that I am thinking rifle.

gizamo
June 28, 2008, 05:43 PM
My favorite is the 5-Screw 44 Magnum in 4.5" that was a special order for the NH State Police under a former illustrious Gov'r....:)

One side of the stocks had a NH emblem in place of the S&W logo, the other side the badge # of the Trooper assigned to the Gov's detail....

Only seen one, in a long time of collecting S&W's....

Giz

Catherine
June 29, 2008, 12:53 AM
To the one gentleman here:

No problem on posting pictures.

I have only done that on 'private' boards and that was when I had 'help' in posting them on those former old boards that I helped moderate plus my own private/invite only board.

I am ignorant in even getting some pictures in an email! Sometimes it works and sometimes I screw it up or it is --- INSERT computer lingo here aka too BIG!

That goes for gun shoots, vacation pictures, scenery, goats, sheep, moose, elk, deer, bear, lake, falls, ocean, river, my simple wedding bouquet, etc. pictures.

Catherine = No computer whiz here!

Stoney
June 29, 2008, 02:04 PM
I like the three and four inch barrel models with combat grips.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c119/pstone001/100_2986.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c119/pstone001/100_2577.jpg

Guillermo
June 29, 2008, 03:20 PM

Who peed in your Cherrios?

Gordon
June 29, 2008, 07:55 PM
1989 Production "Mountain Revolver" 629 with Performance Center Aherns Combat grips. My favorite Model 29 (well 629) With a Mad Dog BearCat 6"x3/16th" knife:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/gordonhulme/P1010499.jpg

magnumman44
June 29, 2008, 07:58 PM
I'd take a 629 cl/dx over any of them, but the pics of all of yours look really nice.

Gordon
June 29, 2008, 08:09 PM
Lets see if I can find the other 29s.: Here's my 629-1 6" which was my favorite take along pistol in my extensive hunting during the 80's and early 90s. The other 2 older (4" and 8 3/8" pictures have already been posted and won't allow them to be reposted.

Catherine
June 29, 2008, 08:38 PM
QUOTE and post by Guillermo:

Quote:

Who peed in your Cherrios?

~~~~~

Huh? You know if I could even understand what you meant by your comment - it might make some sense.

I was addressing the one nice man on here and could not remember his 'name' without going back from what I was posting. I called him a gentleman - there is NOTHING wrong in calling a nice, smart and well mannered person - a gentleman. We were discussing his firearms here along with everyone else.

Vice versa on a lady and addressing a lady.

If you have a problem with a post and where a person addresses someone like that - gentleman or lady or says, Dear so and so or just a quick answer - don't read the post.

I really do not understand some people but I am sure that they can say the same thing to me too.

For your information... I did not eat any cereal lately and for that matter no one has ever urinated on my 'Cheerios'.

Thank you very much.

Have a nice evening.

Catherine

Catherine
June 29, 2008, 08:44 PM
Quote:

Lets see if I can find the other 29s.: Here's my 629-1 6" which was my favorite take along pistol in my extensive hunting during the 80's and early 90s. The other 2 older (4" and 8 3/8" pictures have already been posted and won't allow them to be reposted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name: christmas 07 and pistols 061.jpg Views: 0 Size: 495.8 KB ID: 80657

~~~~~

Dear Gordon,

Very sweet and I will do a search on your other previously posted pictures.

WHO made the grips in this picture that I posted above of yours?

Did you leave the grips alone straight from the factory or did you stain the wood a bit darker?

My husband and I have several hand guns and rifles with beautiful walnut and other types of wood.

Very nice and thanks again for sharing.

Sincerely,

Catherine

Guillermo
June 29, 2008, 08:57 PM
you said to the "ONE" gentleman here.

that was a (obviously unintended) slam to the others

I am glad that you keep your breakfast foods unmolested

shoot straight

Confederate
June 29, 2008, 10:13 PM
Don't sweat it, Guillermo. She's only after his gun!

Guillermo
June 29, 2008, 11:37 PM
Got to love a woman angling for a 44 magnum.

Impressive!

Evyl Robot
June 30, 2008, 11:34 AM
They have the pretty replica CLASSIC guns out now in Smith and Wesson. I think that they may have those 'locks' though. NO clue... I bought my S&W firearms right before they went to the 'locks' - 1998-2001. Some people have NO problems with them though. I don't know much about it so NO offense on my ignorance.

My 29 is in the Classics series. Yes, it's got the hole. The hammer and trigger are FORGED, the action is crisp, and the side plate has four screws.

./Michael

If you enjoyed reading about "what is the best smith and wesson model 29" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!