Ruger Security Six in nickel

PDA

yakkingallover
June 26, 2008, 11:55 PM
My uncle has made me a deal on a short barreled Security Six in nickel finish. He said it was owned by a boat captain and that is why it is nickel which makes sense. My question is, did this gun come factory in nickel or was it plated by the owner? I deal with hot rods and cars all the time and if I had to guess I would say the finish loos factory but I am not sure. Any help is appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Security Six in nickel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wristtwister
June 27, 2008, 12:05 AM
They made the Security Six in blued, nickel, and stainless. I've got one of the stainless models, and they're good guns. I'd be a little more satisfied with some different grips, but good solid guns anyway... especially if you really got a good deal on it.

WT

Logan5
June 27, 2008, 12:53 AM
There wasn't a Ruger factory nickle finished -Six series revolver; it'll be a custom finish or highly polished stainless.

9mmepiphany
June 27, 2008, 01:15 AM
i don't remember a nickled Security-Six ever being offered either

bannockburn
June 27, 2008, 07:53 AM
yakkingallover

I could be wrong, but I don't think Ruger ever offered the Service/Security Six in nickel. The only two choices were blued and stainless steel.

yakkingallover
June 27, 2008, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the help all, I will look it over again and check the serial number to see what it came as from the factory. After that I guess it will be some time spent with some mothers and a rag....

slick6
June 27, 2008, 12:25 PM
I collect Ruger "Six Series" revolvers and I can confirm that Ruger never made a Security/Service/Speed-Six with a nickel finish! I had already gone to the trouble of getting confirmation of this from a reliable Ruger collector organization! Any nickel finished "Six Series" revolvers were done after these guns were shipped from Ruger!

FEG
June 27, 2008, 03:08 PM
The manual that came with my two stainless Security Sixes (red and black) both say that the available options are blued and stainless.

Never seen a nickel one, personally.

The Security Six is an awesome .357 for people who secretly prefer the overall look of a S&W, but want something stronger than a 19 or 66.

slick6
June 27, 2008, 05:52 PM
FEG:

You are exactly right regarding the nickel finish not being a factory option as well as how awesome the Security-six is and for being much stronger than an S&W model 19 or 66.

Cougfan2
June 27, 2008, 05:56 PM
I have a 6" blued Security Six I got back in the early 80's. It's a tank. Only thing I ever did with it was put a Bullseye spring kit in it to lighten the DA trigger pull.

aryfrosty
June 27, 2008, 08:15 PM
I carried a couple of Security Six s over the years. I have never seen any Ruger firearm in nickel finish. Stainless and blued. Regards, Al

yakkingallover
June 28, 2008, 12:18 AM
I contacted Ruger today and gave them the serial number. The lady on the phone said it came blued from the factory but didn't sound so sure. I will check into it a little further. I can say for sure that this gun is not blued but I may have to manhandle it some more before I can make a definite conclusion.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Security Six in nickel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!