Sp-101 .22 LR review needed

PDA

Carbon_15
June 27, 2008, 07:06 AM
Looking for input on teh 4 inch Sp-101 in .22. How does it rate in accuracy? How does it shoot, point, handle etc. Does shooting .22's 6 at a time out of a 10 pound revolver get boring fast?
Thanks,
Jason

If you enjoyed reading about "Sp-101 .22 LR review needed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
icecorps
June 27, 2008, 09:44 AM
I have one, and I am pretty happy with it. I was a little worried about accuracy (no better than 3" at 15 yards) but I think it just needed a good cleaning.

As far as boredom; if your range allows set up some clay birds or steel targets. Lots more fun than poking holes in paper.

Try different ammo, everything from super-maxi-hi-velocity to Colibri loads powered entirely by the primer.

And you'll always be able to sell it. I believe they are no longer made. I've had several offers for mine already!

Carbon_15
June 27, 2008, 08:00 PM
Any idea as to the current value. I am being offered a very clean 4in in trade. Its a neat gun, I just have no clue what its worth

22-rimfire
June 27, 2008, 08:13 PM
Does shooting .22's 6 at a time out of a 10 pound revolver get boring fast?

Not at all for me. I prefer the 6-shot cylinders on 22 revolvers. I find them easier to load. My biggest negative on the SP101 22 model was the trigger. I never bought one for that reason and have looked at many.

I don't know current value of the 22 SP101. The last one I ran into was new and the seller wanted $350 which was after they were discontinued. That was about 2-years ago.

If I really wanted one and was going to be fair, I'd price it same as a current new one (wholesale) since it's the 22. They are in demand and are easy to sell.

mtngunr
June 27, 2008, 09:07 PM
My wife's gun is exceedingly accurate and pleasant to shoot, the windage-only rear sight the only downside....vs. a nice old K22, it's a lightweight......

Moonclip
June 29, 2008, 07:06 PM
I have the 4" full lug, got it last year for $200. It was filthy though it cleaned up nice. Sights kind of too basic. Accuracy so-so. Trigger kind of heavy. Very heavy for a gun of this type.

ravencon
June 29, 2008, 09:48 PM
I've never been seriously tempted by one of these for the reasons others have stated--rudimentary sights and mediocre (if you're lucky) trigger.

theNoid
July 4, 2008, 07:08 AM
Maybe not the most accurate and comfy gun for some but hey, they don't make them anymore and that alone makes it worth owning if the deal is right.

Noidster

Stainz
July 4, 2008, 07:21 AM
I bought a 4" .32 H&RM new - owned it for 1.5 yr - happily parted with it. I have shot a friend's similar, but .22LR, SP101. The good news is that the trigger is straightforward to improve, as it is just a down-sized copy of Ruger's GP100/SRH lockwork. Lots of cleanup and deburring later - and some lite Wolff springs - and my 4" .32M SP101 was nice. Still, I tired of it's design-fault, shared with the .22LR - a cheesy rear sight, adjustable only in windage. Also, it's large-ish chamber IDs worked the .32M brass - and made extraction of spent rounds more difficult than it should have been. They do have a following - and seemingly command a decent price ($350-$450 in decent shape) nowadays. I'd save my sheckles for a decent S&W 17/617.

Stainz

If you enjoyed reading about "Sp-101 .22 LR review needed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!