Gun Carry and Messy Jobs?

PDA

3KillerBs
June 28, 2008, 04:52 PM
OK, DH and I got our permits yesterday and he's wearing his gun around today. He's painting in the current project room and I hear him calling. He wants to take a shower but has wet paint on his hands and needs me to take his gun so that he can get undressed without getting paint on it.

So, that leads to the question, ...

What, other than putting a very small gun in a deep pocket (DH only owns the S&W M&P at the moment), are some good ways to cope with concealed carry while doing messy jobs like painting, plumbing, yardwork, concrete, and like things where you're apt to end up coated in some kind of goo that you don't want to get onto your gun or your holster?

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Carry and Messy Jobs?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mark K. C.
June 28, 2008, 04:57 PM
The first thing that comes to mind is inside your waistband.

pappy
June 28, 2008, 04:58 PM
I use a Kangaroo which you can see at: http://www.kangarooind.com/
Sorry I couldn't figure out how to make it a clickable link.
It's a form of belly band that works pretty good, just wear it under an old shirt and your gun stays clean.

yakkingallover
June 28, 2008, 05:05 PM
I work in a machine shop/car shop and have also thought about this, usually in that environment though I will wash and dry my hands before removing my gun or have a clean shop rag handy to manipulate the gun. Getting your gun messy is also a reason you never see many guns in adult films...(sorry not very THR but i couldn't resist..)

RyanM
June 28, 2008, 05:08 PM
Glocks are nearly impervious to the elements, and can be detail stripped into every single moving part in a couple minutes. I wouldn't worry about getting crap on one.

redneckrepairs
June 28, 2008, 05:18 PM
As a long time ccw , and a fella who works for a living ( i ranch with attendant machinery , paint , solvent , ect.. issues I have come to the choice that i carry a " good" gun ( normally a kahr ) in a fair holster ( normally a don hume iwb ) . Both get abused and beat up . and both still work . My p9 has lost half the nickel off the back of the slide , my don hume has been soaked in things ranging from fuel to malathion . Both are now ugly , but both work well . On the other hand my p7 looks near new and the custom K&D holster i have for it looks new . Neither one will see " work gun conditions " if i can help it . Point is that if you actually wear a gun day in and day out it will get " character marks , other wise known as honest wear . You can have a tool or a collector , but if its a tool no matter how hard you try it wont stay in that " new " condition . Many would say i abuse my carry gun(s) . However to me they are tools , and favored tools show more wear than unfavored lol .

Geronimo45
June 28, 2008, 05:36 PM
Coveralls.

redneckrepairs
June 28, 2008, 05:39 PM
Coveralls.

dont fit and i for one cannot work in them day in and day out .

mtngunr
June 28, 2008, 05:46 PM
The only solution I've found is an "always" gun small enough to fit in a pocket....current favorite is a stainless Autauga (Seecamp clone) in .32ACP that's 100% reliable with premium HP's....I'm a mechanic for a living, which means climbing/crawling/kneeling/low-crawling/getting upside-down/etc....the gun fits in the back pocket with the pocket buttoned closed to prevent loss.....

dralarms
June 28, 2008, 08:01 PM
GEt one of those "sonic scrubbers" and use it and a little clp on it. It will take the paint right off (not the baked on paint).

I work in the alarm business, sweat, dirt, mud, insulation, and yes even some paint. The sonic scrubber and a little weapon shield clp makes it shiney as a new penny.

woo18
June 28, 2008, 08:17 PM
I really like the middle of the back holster by Galco. It is really out of the way.

strat81
June 28, 2008, 08:48 PM
Get a small, ugly gun - preferably something cheap.

Wash your hands before handling it unless you need to draw.

Zach S
June 28, 2008, 09:55 PM
I'm a greasemonkey. I wash my hands before I go to the restroom out of habit.

However, if I'm covered in grime, and I would need my pistol, I would live with getting grime on my pistol. Hopefully.

And I wear gloves when I'm painting. I have ever since I painted my subframe connectors with POR 15...

fjolnirsson
June 28, 2008, 10:54 PM
Smartcarry could be an option. One of those fancy concealment shirts with the built in holster might be good. Maybe a bellyband?

akodo
June 29, 2008, 04:23 AM
sounds like a job for a makarov, FEG PA-36, CZ-82, or other surplus firearm in the mid $200 range.

When those freestaters were doing open carry trash pickup, on the video some of them put sandwitch bags over their firearm handles while in the holster in the rain. Something like that could be done, protect the gun from drips of paint, and protect the gun when you unholster it with dirty hands in a non-emergency

RaspberrySurprise
June 29, 2008, 05:13 AM
I imagine a full flap holster would do the job for the most part of course then you'd have to clean the holster instead. If you look on the milsurp market you might be able to find an old surplus one that would fit or be close to your pistol. Not the greatest carry option but it should help.

Starship1st
June 29, 2008, 10:42 AM
Don't forget to try the leg holster? There are a wide verity for different type guns. :cool:

TAB
June 29, 2008, 11:03 AM
Trust me, any way you carry a gun that you could get too it with in a couple seconds will get stuff on it... Also something else to think about... they are a large chunk of metal, they are not something you want to fall on.

CrawdaddyJim
June 29, 2008, 11:05 AM
Fact: Work guns get dirty.

This gives you a reason to clean and lube and check your gun often. Which leads to familiarity and learned behaviours. Which leads to better responses in times of great stress. Which leads to you being alive to paint another room.

Quote:
Coveralls.

Dont fit and i for one cannot work in them day in and day out .

They do make them in more than one size....:D

3KillerBs
June 29, 2008, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the thoughts. Just to clear up any misinterpretations, its not about fear of getting goo on the gun if its necessary to use it. Its about protecting it from gunk while doing routine dirty work.

I think he'd like an excuse to get an LCP since a friend of his is crazy about his. LOL

Deep in the pocket sounds like the best option so I guess I'll put a pocket gun for him onto the family priority list.

OOOXOOO
June 29, 2008, 05:17 PM
I work in a very dirty enviroment so I bought a Glock 26. It is reliable for me and you can't make a Glock any uglier. I'm also the kind of guy that buys things with all hopes of using them to death and some paint or scratches or surface rust dosen't bother me. You could go the other route and buy a BBQ gun worth so much you don't worry about that old S&W anymore.:rolleyes:

ctdemolay0405
June 29, 2008, 05:20 PM
how about a shoulder holster under a button down shirt, or something like that?

TAB
June 29, 2008, 05:38 PM
If you can't get to it, draw and fire with in 2-3 seconds... might as well not have it.

velobard
June 29, 2008, 05:41 PM
I second the smartcarry for this sort of situation.

murph50
June 29, 2008, 05:49 PM
I do wildlife control. A lot of digging and crawling in attics and on roofs. I carry my KT P3AT in weak side front pocket. Sometimes I just leave it in the truck --I haven't ever run into a BG in a 130 degree attic

brett30030
June 29, 2008, 07:29 PM

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Carry and Messy Jobs?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!