There's a special layer of hell for me - silenced revolver

PDA

PTK
June 30, 2008, 09:23 PM
I must confess, I realized halfway through this project I shouldn't do it. I apologize.

I HAD TO! So many times I'd go out of my mind trying to counter the "you can't silence a revolver" argument, I'd try to explain that you could if you use a gas-seal revolver like the Nagant. But no, people just wouldn't listen, and I had to go and actually demonstrate it.

Purists... don't look. :eek:

link to the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvF4yurWSc0&feature=user)

If you enjoyed reading about "There's a special layer of hell for me - silenced revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
lamazza
June 30, 2008, 09:51 PM
very cool.

Gordon
June 30, 2008, 09:52 PM
WOW! That sucker is quiet. I might have to get me one of those (Nagants) for when I move to Oregon and (legally) buy a can.

wheelgunslinger
June 30, 2008, 09:53 PM
It's awesome. You're not the first to think of it, but the first on YouTube. :)

I like all your videos. Very no-nonsense and demonstrative.

Walkalong
June 30, 2008, 09:56 PM
Very cool indeed. :)

PTK
June 30, 2008, 10:00 PM
wheelgunslinger

Thanks for the kind words!

Gordon

May I suggest an inexpensive can such as the YHM 9mm Cobra and using Mike at Tornado Technologies (http://www.tornado-technologies.com/) for threading the barrel? He did absolute top-notch work.

Shade00
June 30, 2008, 10:40 PM
That's wacky! Neat video, though.

PTK
June 30, 2008, 10:47 PM
Wacky or not, you'd shoot it, we all know you would. :)

Technosavant
June 30, 2008, 10:54 PM
Niiiiiice. I'm guessing you used the regular 7.92 Nagant ammo and you were not involving a .32 cylinder.

Now you've got me thinking about a Nagant, since in another couple months it will be legal for us here to have suppressors (the MO law takes effect on Aug. 28).

Gator
June 30, 2008, 11:17 PM
Looks like you need to do some work on the trigger pull. :)

Some neat pics in this (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=327192) old thread.

Cosmoline
June 30, 2008, 11:28 PM
But no, people just wouldn't listen, and I had to go and actually demonstrate it.

It's an interesting experiment, but I'm surprised folks you talked to didn't know about the Soviet silencers. The Nagant was equipped with a variety of devices and saw very long service through the cold war.

HighVelocity
July 1, 2008, 12:01 AM
:cool: Very interesting. Thanks for taking one for the team.

PTK
July 1, 2008, 12:02 AM
Technosavant

I do indeed use proper ammo, in this case HotShot brand.

Gator

I like the trigger the way it is, actually. Don't know why. :)

Cosmoline

I showed a few people those pictures - they unanimously insisted that it was just Russian propaganda and fake. :scrutiny:

HighVelocity

Oh, yes, it was terrible having an excuse for another fun toy. :D

Noxx
July 1, 2008, 12:25 AM
WOW, your silenced 10/22 is ridiculous. Good work. (and I mean that in a good way, unbelievable)

PTK
July 1, 2008, 12:27 AM
Thanks! I knew some people would eventually poke around and look at the rest of the videos. :)

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
July 1, 2008, 12:33 AM
The NKVD used silenced Nagants as an assassination weapon, IIRC.

Regards,
Rabbit.

ZeSpectre
July 1, 2008, 12:33 AM
The Nagant was equipped with a variety of devices and saw very long service through the cold war.

Yeah, the Nagant is also equipped with a roughly 35 lb trigger as well :neener:

PTK
July 1, 2008, 12:39 AM
Mine is NOWHERE near that bad. Probably around 15lb, an inch of creep, and a handful of sand. :D

machinisttx
July 1, 2008, 12:51 AM
The DA trigger on my F.I.L.'s nagant is absolutely terrible. I think I pulled a muscle in my forearm trying to squeeze it...

You must be one stout mofo to squeeze shots off like that.

PTK
July 1, 2008, 12:52 AM
I used to make chainmail armor. My fingers/forearms are STRONG. I've not found a triggerpull that bugs me yet. :)

Dr.Who
July 1, 2008, 12:53 AM
Somebody said that it couldn't be done,
But he with a chuckle replied
That "maybe it couldn't," but he would be one
Who wouldn't say so till he'd tried.
So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin
On his face. If he worried he hid it.
He started to sing as he tackled the thing
That couldn't be done, and he did it.
:) Edgar Guest

rondog
July 1, 2008, 01:00 AM
Very cool! I see your location is "South Park", are you in Colorado by chance?

Magnum.35744
July 1, 2008, 01:00 AM
Wow!!! That's amazing! The only thing I can hear is the hammer dropping. Other then that I would've never guessed you fired the thing in the first place! :evil:

PTK
July 1, 2008, 01:03 AM
Dr.Who

Fitting! Thank you! :)

rondog

Yes indeed! Currently in the Denver area, but I'm in South Park a LOT. I go by Schaeffer's Crossing almost every day. If you're in the area, feel free to drop me a PM, you can try any of my guns you'd like!

Magnum.35744

If you listen, you can hear the bullet hit the berm. :D

loneviking
July 1, 2008, 01:28 AM
Cool video. I was just looking at a Nagant revolver at my local pawn shop. That is one strange looking gun!

Eightball
July 1, 2008, 02:07 AM
How much did it cost for shipping to tornado, and for them to thread the Nagant?

Now you have ME thinking about doing that.

PTK
July 1, 2008, 02:10 AM
It cost me less than $5 to ship them the barrel, and it was ~$75 to thread it.

Of course, I removed the barrel from the frame and didn't ship the rest. :)

grimjaw
July 1, 2008, 11:49 AM
Including shipping, it cost more to have the barrel threaded than it did for the gun!

jm

Evyl Robot
July 1, 2008, 12:09 PM
When I installed the silencer on my compensated 586, it didn't do anything at all! :rolleyes:

Seriously, though. I have often wanted to pick up a Nagant, but could never justify it to myself. I think you just gave me the excuse I was looking for!

La Pistoletta
July 1, 2008, 12:18 PM
Nice videos. I wish I could legally have one of those, I'd actually be able to shoot even with my sound hypersensitivity (hyperacusis).

Crow1108
July 1, 2008, 12:53 PM
That is an incredible video, and a really nifty idea. It's so quiet that if it weren't for the smoke escaping when you let off the trigger, I'd swear it was being dryfired :D.

Walkalong
July 1, 2008, 08:57 PM
10/22 SBR with silencer

That one is way cool. You can hear the brass hit the ground it's so quiet.

Mark K. C.
July 1, 2008, 09:05 PM
Job well done! Makes you wonder where we would be today if we all tried something that can't be done. God bless America.

njanear
July 1, 2008, 10:05 PM
Awesome video! Being an old M1895 collector, I just had to go post that for some buddies to see.

Again, great job!

Geronimo45
July 2, 2008, 12:30 AM
Yeah, the Nagant is also equipped with a roughly 35 lb trigger as well
The solution to NDs and itchy trigger fingers. :p

PTK
July 2, 2008, 02:34 AM
I made another film today, this time with THR's own MDeViney shooting...

I filmed further away and to the side, to show how quickly the sound drops off. Also note how slow the gas comes out of that silencer!

Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud_Os0WWpFg)

Evyl Robot
July 2, 2008, 10:31 AM
That is just too cool! I wonder if you could do that to a John Ross 500, since you can close up the gap so much...

wheelgunslinger
July 2, 2008, 12:00 PM
Yeah, but that last one was missing your video sig line
"And, there you have it..." :p

dbooksta
March 14, 2009, 03:43 PM
That is phenomenal noise reduction!

Are there any gas-seal revolvers other than the 7.62 Nagant?

messerist
March 14, 2009, 11:57 PM
Nice mod to a Nagant! Would love to try it on mine but alas I live in the People's Republic of Minnesota...no cans allowed.

heron
March 15, 2009, 12:55 AM
Trick! Very clever thing, there -- no B-C gap flare, either. Makes me wonder why it isn't done more often.

Yo2slick
March 15, 2009, 01:07 AM
Very nice work indeed!

gp911
March 15, 2009, 11:43 PM
You are a sick, sick man...

The world needs more sick, sick men... :D

I think you have finally topped your SBS H&R Topper for sheer giggles to dollars ratio, or at least mods to original price ratio. Impressive.

P.S. If you still lived here in OH I'd buy that NEF from you asap.

If you enjoyed reading about "There's a special layer of hell for me - silenced revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!