So, anyone use their EDC blades today?

PDA

DeTerminator
June 30, 2008, 08:28 PM
Hi everyone!

I got the idea to post this one after reading what hso and The Tourist posted about their Razels.

Maybe this thread would: 1)Cause us to use our "babies" more; not consider how much we paid for them, or how surgically sharp they were. 2) Actually carry for EDC the blades that might actually live in our dresser drawer, instead of in our pockets or on our belts. 3) Give a chance for professional sharpeners or blade designers/manufacturers to see what our actual uses are for our blades, and for everyone to profit from our input.

Granted, 95% of our EDC usage is boring, as most every- day stuff can be. But that extra 5% could be very, very, interesting, I would imagine!

Any way, after having brought up the subject, I really can't help out much today on my EDC's. My SwissChamp rode in my right hand pant's watch pocket, with the CRKT Stubby riding shotgun. Both took the day off.

So, what did your EDC's do?

Later,

Kerry

If you enjoyed reading about "So, anyone use their EDC blades today?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wheelgunslinger
June 30, 2008, 08:30 PM
my Buck 110 cleaned my nails after working on the motorcycle.

gripper
June 30, 2008, 08:34 PM
My Cold Steel Scimitar Spike put its partially sharpened edge on the spine to good use today;snapping through plastic strapping on some bundles of corrugate at work today.

rantingredneck
June 30, 2008, 08:36 PM
My Leatherman c301 opened a package from fellow member Flip180. My Leatherman Micra filed down a hangnail. My CRKT Crawford Falcon cut some rope.

bikerdoc
June 30, 2008, 08:57 PM
just got a MooreMaker Roper, yellow handle with pocket clip- no serrations

opened the mail, put a point on several tomato stakes, and opened a box. Tomorrow we will have the 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 y/o granddaughters over and G-PAW will make hot dog sticks

DeTerminator
June 30, 2008, 09:06 PM
Thanks for your replies!

The bread and butter results of our carrying a knife in our pocket or on/in our belt/backpack/bandana every day.

What do we do with the sharp stuff we carry on us every day?

Thanks,

Kerry

teknoid
June 30, 2008, 09:20 PM
My Old Timer served its main duty, opening boxes of parts, stripping wire, etc. I used the Boker Kalashnikov to tie up some tomato plants over the weekend. Unfortunately, I didn't pay close enough attention to what I was doing. The bleeding eventually stopped... That sucker is sharp.

highorder
June 30, 2008, 10:07 PM
I opened a box of Belgian chocolates for some girl in the Marketing dept today...

Okiecruffler
June 30, 2008, 10:18 PM
I got this old sharpfinger that I used to pry open a stuck car door, open a can of peaches and stir some house paint.:evil:

Actually, I been using my CRKT M16 all day to slice fruit.

jahwarrior
June 30, 2008, 10:30 PM
i use my chinook II for just about everything; from cutting steak at the Old Country Buffet;) to cutting open boxes. i bought it to use it, and use it i do.

sm
June 30, 2008, 10:44 PM
SAK Classic SD.

-Cut my bagel half into for breakfast this morning.
-Sewed a button on and used the blade to cut thread.
-Trimmed the excess Goop [tm] I used to fix a tennis shoe
-Cut sisal rope used to bundle up some items, both indoors and outdoors.
-Cut some flowers to present to a lady.
-Finished a small wooden slingshot made from the fork of a tree limb.
-Sharpened pencils
-Tightened a Ring Guard [tm] for a lady while at Mom's Doctors Appt.
[Assisted the gals in the Doc's office with all sorts of cutting chores from opening boxes to other things, some new equip was delivered]
-Cuff off the "child safety" rings from some Rx meds mom uses.
-Cut apart a Remington 20 ga 3 buck and Slug shotgun shell.
-Trimmed the rough edges off a polymer handgun, then used the nail file to smooth even more.
-Garden hose spliced.
-Cut a heater hose to fit.
-Chicken Fried Steak was cut up.
-Cut a package of bacon in half.
-Ham, cheese, turkey , carrots , green pepper , yellow pepper, prepped for a salad.
-Trimmed aluminum foil for a project.
-Cut poster board for a picture frame.
-Trimmed sharp edges off a Tippy Cup.
-Made some extra sling shot pockets.
-Cleaned 4 fresh caught Rainbow Trout, cut butter, lemon, onion. [teaching someone how to do trout "proper"]
-Cut a Rack of Ribs into.
-Peeled New Potatoes. [Green Beans & New Potatoes]
-Made a "parts cleaner" from a plastic 1 gallon Antifreeze container.
-Made a funnel from a plastic water bottle.
-New electrical cord for a lamp and fan
-Made "buff sticks" using paint sticks and emery paper with 200,400,1500 grit emery paper.
-Trimmed the top off a small tube of calk, applied caulk, trimmed when dry.
-Showed someone how to use a magnesium fire starter...
-Removed a coin from a "stupid machine" that took a little girls coin and stuck in the wrong slot . *wink*
(she has a cute little dawgie stuffed animal now)

EHCRain10
June 30, 2008, 11:13 PM
My sog powerlock removed staples from old files at work and my leatherman c301 helped clean my nails in class

Eleven Mike
June 30, 2008, 11:15 PM
Today, I only used mine to amuse me, as I flicked it open and shut. :)

JTW Jr.
July 1, 2008, 12:30 AM
Like Steve , used my Erickson cutom slip joint to cut my Cinnamon Raisin Bagel , opened blister pack for the the new AC thermostat and also at work to rip open some boxes that came in . Used my Rinaldi Matrix to remove a 1/4 of plastic off a mini blind I was replacing.
It was a slow day..hey it's 110 outside !

woolfam
July 1, 2008, 12:44 AM
EDC a Spyderco Centofante III. Used it to cut tape, open mail, slice a plum, trim some ribbon for some centerpieces for my son's upcoming wedding, trim a thread off my trousers.

I'd kinda like a new knife - I just can't seem to find one I like better. :)

Now that you asked, I can't remember the last time I went a day w/o using it.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/16034cento_III_d.jpg

ArfinGreebly
July 1, 2008, 01:35 AM
Last 72 hours:

Peanut: opened a package of frozen treats, opened my personal mail, opened a blister pack, opened box of "Mini Moo" creamers at work, opened a mega-pack of toilet paper and one of the inner packs.

Double Cross: turned a stirrer straw into a toothpick, cut loose thread from shirt, trimmed a sheet of paper to pocket size.

SAK: stirred my tea at dinner, since no place settings had been laid out for our table, opened a bottle of beer for son-in-law, trimmed a finger nail (scissors) and smoothed the edges.

Swede 92: sliced up leftover pork chop for on-the-move dinner snack.

And other stuff I'll remember later.

JohnKSa
July 1, 2008, 01:40 AM
Sliced a cable grommet off a cable bundle for a coworker and also used the back point of the blade to score a couple of pieces of paper since I didn't have scissors handy. Used it to cut open a package of cookies for the informal "snack bar".

OldCowHand
July 1, 2008, 02:14 AM
I picked up a factory-second ceramic folder a couple of weeks ago, blade kinda dinged up but edge okay, decided to leave it at the office for now because it's just a single blade with no tools, so I guess it's more of a working-hours weekday-carry. I used it today to cut the packing tape off of a package -- for some reason that tape always gums up the front of my all-day EDC Swiss Army Knife folder, but it comes off the ceramic blade very nicely.
When I got home, I used my fixed-blade EDC (CRKT Plan B) to open a pack of chicken breasts to cook one for dinner. So yes -- several of today's blades got to do stuff today.

Oh, and a couple of them were ready to hand as I rode my bicycle through some moderately sketchy neighborhoods on the homeward stretch of the commute. They didn't exactly get to do any work, other than being a comfort by their presence, and any day that ends with that being their only task is a good day.

alaskanativeson
July 1, 2008, 02:47 AM
Benchmade Mini-Griptilian

Opened two boxes that came in the m ail, cut a piece of rope to make a cord for the new BBQ grill cover (charcoal grill, not gas) cut open a bag of vidalia onions to make spagetti.

LawofThirds
July 1, 2008, 03:40 AM
I used my CRKT ringed razel to:
*cut up a lemon for some delicious iced water
*open a fedex box
*reshape a 15mm world war II miniature
*clean my nails
*threaten my cat
*single handedly defeat a legion of ninjas wielding chain-saws and riding bears in my front yard

(one or two of those might be a slight exaggeration)

alaskanativeson
July 1, 2008, 03:48 AM
What kind of bears? If they're big brownies or polar bears, I'd say you needed a bigger knife! :eek:

CZ.22
July 1, 2008, 11:52 AM
I don't use my EDC, whatever it may be, for food prep. Not that it couldn't- I just have kitchen knives, sitting right there. These are probably the knives I use most.

With my EDC (a Moore Maker Serpentine Stockman) at this time, I opened some mail, cut some string, trimmed a nail, opened a couple of packages.

With my kitchen knives (Henkcels, Wustof and two Wengers) I cut up a chicken to make fried chicken, sliced some bread up thick for french toast, sliced up skirt steak for fajitas, cut up my steak at dinner, cut up my chicken fried steak, sliced butter, spread butter...

MadMercS55
July 1, 2008, 02:16 PM
Took care of a mean pizza with my CQC-8. Later I deanimated some PVC tubing with my Dark Ops Stratofighter. That's about it so far today....

CWL
July 1, 2008, 04:10 PM
There's a similar thread right now on a knife forum. In that one, the OP distinguishes between EDU (every day user) v. EDC.

My EDU is a small gentleman's whittler by Rough Rider. $7.51 shipped from eBay. My current EDCs vary include Spydie Yojimbo and Civilian. Neither of these blades have ever been used.

I use my EDU probably 5-10 times each day without thinking about it.
Today, opened envelope, opened parcel, opened 2 boxes of cigars (from parcel), cleaned my cuticles. for me, the day's not over yet.

Pax Jordana
July 1, 2008, 04:35 PM
sm, you're making me jealous. it's like you're channeling huckleberry finn or something.

Lessee.. yesterday my sodbuster cut the plastic shavings from a newly drilled key tag (needed a new hole after I sat on it!) and my Leek trimmed down a fingernail - not essential, but helps to pass the time. the Blur sat quietly in my pocket and behaved, as it has since I bought it. Today I did not use my knife at all.

Thernlund
July 1, 2008, 04:40 PM
I can't find mine (Benchmade Griptilian). :( I left it on the counter next to my wallet last night I'm almost positive. Ugh.

I normally use mine all the time in countless ways. Never know when and for what it'll be needed.

I hope it turns up soon. Wife or daughter probably used it and didn't put it back. Hmph. :mad:

-T.

DeTerminator
July 1, 2008, 07:46 PM
Hi everyone,

Thanks to all for your replies!

It's amazing to see the wide usage of our pocket steel!

Some use theirs more than others. I carry a few blades, but use the one's I have at home more. It seems like most of my cutting involves kitchen use, where I can bypass my pocket knives for others that are laying out in the open and, "shudder", cheaper? I, too, suffer from the syndrome of not using my best super sharp, super cool knives unless I need to. I think we all can relate to that.

My Stubby Razel slipped out to cut open a pack of steak for the grill tonight. I pulled out my Swiss Army Knife to play with making a fire with the magnifying lens, but I think one needs a better lens to do so. I was hopeful, though.

I read somewhere where a guy killed a bear with his Buck 110, that was making a nuisance of himself and attacking things. That's the stuff that's unlikely to happen with EDC, but what I'm fishin' for amongst the forum members!

So, good to see some responses and pictures of what you're usin'.

Later,

Kerry

Valkman
July 1, 2008, 09:13 PM
I used one today that I made! How many can say that? :)

http://usera.imagecave.com/Valkman/gold/grn_Shark1_sm.jpg

Sweet!

RancidSumo
July 1, 2008, 10:19 PM
cut open and stabbed a hole in a 5 gallon paint bucket with my Emerson Mini CQC-7

MikeG
July 1, 2008, 10:36 PM
I have a Buck Mantis today. I used it to pry the write ring out of a 9-track computer tape. (One of the round reel-to-reel types)

sixgunner455
July 2, 2008, 12:53 AM
Only been carrying Case knives this week.

Texas Jack
-Cut up chicken breast at dinner
-Whittled a piece of cottonwood
-sliced out square from a piece of paper

Copperhead Wharncliffe
-opened box of frozen food
-trimmed fingernails
-whittled on stick
-sliced up steak
-opened mail

Peanut
-whittled stick
-opened mail

All got played with, as worry stones.

bikerdoc
July 2, 2008, 03:58 PM
had to go to training class on the new computer system at work, used my left pocket cammilus scout to open the laptop boxes and attach some screws with the flat head blade/ and put the stylus on the cord with the punch. That was the most fun I had all day- talk about boring!!!

Omaha-BeenGlockin
July 2, 2008, 04:26 PM
Today---Benchmade 520---just opened a couple boxes with it.

From the mundane to the sublime.

Carl Levitian
July 2, 2008, 04:30 PM
Used my Victoriox classic to open my mail, and slit open a bag of dog food.

Used my Victorinox bantam screw driver to give a little elevation adjustment on my S&W 617, for a dead on hold instead of a 6 o'clock hold.

John G
July 2, 2008, 05:23 PM
I used my Case Sodbuster Jr. to
-open the mail
-whittle a letter opener
-chop veggies for dipping
-slice some twists of lemon for a pair of adult beverages :D (Whiskey rocks for me, "County Cork Sunset" for her)

The Tourist
July 2, 2008, 05:57 PM
No, sir, I did not. In fact, for most of the afternoon, I wasn't even carrying my EDC.

Black Betty was getting a nice bath in the driveway, and I was soaking wet.

Brian Williams
July 2, 2008, 06:45 PM
I used my Case Amber Bone Canoe to open a few packages and scrape off a few stickers that had the hospital name on them from a couple of junk VCRs, cut a bagel, trimmed a small hangnail, fondled the bone and admired the patina forming, cut off a few wire ties, sliced some labels. Must be more things I have used it for but this is a good smattering of its normal EDUs.

sm
July 2, 2008, 07:02 PM
New EDC to me, with special sentimental attachement.

Mini-Trapper, with Blue Bone.
ATS-34 blades.

Etched on the blade:

Premier Issue-1999
Queen's Own Club Knife

Tang:
Queen's Own
Titusville,PA

Bolster: 198

<the crowd gasps! A numbered collectors piece, and the boy is using such a knife!>

I may share later about this, just for a teaser...

RC , moon pies, racks of ribs, 'taters, mesquite wood, wet rope, cardboard, strapping tape, and started a homemade sling shot made from the fork of a cedar tree limb.

*grin*

Oh yes, I will free hand sharpen this later this evening , using a 4" Norton Crystalon, combo coarse /fine, and 3" Case Arkansas Hard and strop on the back of a legal pad using Happich Semi-Chrome.
No. I will not tape the blade to protect the blade etching.

This is ain't my first rodeo...

DeTerminator
July 2, 2008, 08:40 PM
I love this post!

Maybe because I started it, but maybe because it shows a down-home attitude that everyone can relate to.

We all have knives that we carry, and we all have knives that we use everyday (pretty much), that we don't carry.

The fact is, we all like knives and use them fairly often. Some we don't use that much; not that we don't like them, but other's seem to take the spot-light for some reason. Those left behind remind us of those times of our lives that they were important to us, but we have moved on.

I've got a Cold Steel Tanto that I bought in 1984 (well, it came on 04/10/84, and I remember that day well). It sat a long time until last year when I had a local blade sharpener restore it's sharpness. It had been used somewhat before then, but was very dull. He charged me $6.00 to sharpen it. Later, he told me it took 2 hours to sharpen. Trying to match the tanto edge with the main edge was difficult. I told him I wouldn't ask him to do it again. I WOULD NOT HESITATE to send this blade to The Tourist in the future, if I decided to put it to use.

Any way, I think that the uses of the every day knife are very interesting and important.

As a side-note, my edc's enjoyed the day off. The Cold Steel Laredo Bowie knife (on the kitchen table) took up the slack to cut a cheese/ham sandwich in half.

Later,

Kerry

Kerry

Thernlund
July 2, 2008, 10:10 PM
He charged me $6.00 to sharpen it. Later, he told me it took 2 hours to sharpen.

You don't see that every day.

-T.

Geronimo45
July 2, 2008, 11:30 PM
Yes. To pry staples and stab open a blister pack. I hate blister packs.

Oh, right. Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn Mini-Covert.

CZ.22
July 2, 2008, 11:56 PM
SM
I know where you got that knife.
Hope it's doing well.

Tirod
July 3, 2008, 12:19 AM
I used my Strider SnG to cut weedwhacker line (repeatedly, it was overdue.) Later it opened a clamshell box of Tapcons for the durock on the back of the fireplace. And cleaned my nails.

My EDC's earn their keep, even the Buck Mayo TNT on Sunday.

snow
July 3, 2008, 09:38 AM
I used the awl on my swiss army spirit multi tool to clean my fingernails. I also used the small flathead screwdriver on it to tighten up a lightswitch cover.

feedthehogs
July 3, 2008, 10:08 AM
AFCK,

Yesterday: trimmed some cured epoxy, cut hose, scraped gaskets, scraped paint, trimmed some flash off a piece of aluminum flat bar cut on the band saw and when I got home I threw it at the neighbors cat that was on my wife's car.
Missed again.

hso
July 3, 2008, 10:12 AM
Used my Sebenza to cut some tape for the Home Depot returns clerk yesterday.

Used it later that evening to cut open the blister pack on a 5/8ths drill bit.

Pulled a stable from a set of documents for a PhD Psychologist this morning with it.

Boom-stick
July 3, 2008, 10:16 AM
Used my Fred Perrin Le Shark to open a bundle of papers and my Leather man Micra and Wilson Cop Tool in a TAG-TEAM Combo to open/fix the front door one of one of our tenants had broken to his apartment :)

ZeSpectre
July 3, 2008, 10:22 AM
After I lost my SECOND expensive Boker knife a few years back I picked up a dirt-cheap little folding thing for about $5.00 on my way to work so I'd have -something- to open boxes with.

Since then I've started calling this little knife "Bad Penny" because I've dropped it, left it in odd places at work, run it through the laundry (used to use a laundromat) and it ALWAYS COMES BACK!

The other weird thing is that it's a pain to sharpen but it really does KEEP an edge even though it gets used heavily and pretty much daily to cut tape and open cardboard boxes and cut "zip ties".

bikerdoc
July 3, 2008, 02:21 PM
Z, I got one like that, 7 bucks, all it says is 440 C on it, great knife

Todd A
July 3, 2008, 03:32 PM
I use mine everyday. One of the guys at work sliced his finger up pretty bad so they took away our razor utility knives:confused:. And I work in a corrugated container company so I always need to slice up some sheets,they gave us "safety sheers" :o. So when no boss is looking out comes one of the knives I happen to have with me ;)

These are my Schrade main users ,only two of them at a time though. I am not a knife nut :uhoh: Oh and the sharpfinger doesn't get carried at work.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm99/toddma/myschrades.jpg

sm
July 3, 2008, 07:57 PM
A true Southern Gentleman, not only carries a quality slip joint, he knows how to use it, and how to maintain it.

-The ladies in a medical clinic, had a nice gift for one of the doctors, and his wife for their Wedding Anniversary.

Queen Mini-Trapper was used to fix up this very nice gift, the expensive wrapping paper , bow and ribbon.
Along with the very nice treats, such as lemon, raspberry , cherry and chocolate .
Flowers needed to be cut for a vase, as a centerpiece.

Bandage scissors could not do this, nor could the dull knives in the lunch room.
Tactical knives offered, were declined.

[Boy them lemon and raspberry squares are some good stuff!]

-Chili Dawgs for supper were prepped using this Mini-Trapper tonight.

How raised-what you do.

TrapperReady
July 3, 2008, 08:10 PM
Benchmade Mini-Dejavoo:

1) Opened mail
2) Cut up an apple for lunch
3) Trimmed a fouled-up lace on a pair of my son's Rollerblades
4) Removed some grout
5) Levered back some vinyl siding on the house
6) Cut some medication in half
7) Opened packaging for some ant traps

In all, a pretty average day. I kept track one time and over the course of a couple weeks, I used my knife just about 10 times per day.

Carl Levitian
July 3, 2008, 08:50 PM
Buck Hartsook to open mail, cut up a roast chicken on a picnic, whittle a toothpick after. Opened a plastic blister package.

HuntAndFish
July 4, 2008, 12:52 AM
Yesterday, I used the small pen blade on my NRA coke bottle jack knife to jimmy the lock on the TP dispenser of a public facility so I could get the second roll to drop. Whew! That was close.

Note to self: Check the roll before you sit.

sixgunner455
July 4, 2008, 01:23 AM
I used my Copperhead to clean all the blond hair off the beater bar of my vacuum. Yards and yards and yards. Still wouldn't spin. Took it apart, and then cleaned more yards out of the inside.

Works now.

Wife says she must be shedding.

wheelgunslinger
July 4, 2008, 11:22 AM
I cut up a bunch of taters for supper last night, and again today. They're good taters.

I got a big black and blue cheese burger for the fourth.

CZ.22
July 4, 2008, 11:37 AM
I carried just my SAK classic yesterday, when driving from Durham to Charleston. My new Plugg cargo shorts have a watch pocket, which is the perfect place for this little blade. It did a myriad of simple opening chores. It's also a Wenger- I want a Vic, which I do believe is better.

Eleven Mike
July 4, 2008, 12:12 PM
I used mine on a drifter.

Browning
July 5, 2008, 02:02 PM
So far today I've opened a cardboard box, a manila envelope with some plastic on it, I've cut some rope and in a second I'll be using it to cut the heads off and to gut and clean some catfish that we'll be eating for dinner that someone just brought in.

All pretty normal stuff that has nothing to do with self defense except for the catfish, they've been giving me some hard looks and I feel like I'm in danger if I stick my hand in there, so I gotta take them out (plus it helps me keep my pimp hand strong to draw someblood here and there in righteous self defense).

sixgunner455
July 7, 2008, 09:30 PM
Jackknife deadheaded some roses. Sliced some cheese for a snack.

Huckle2
July 7, 2008, 09:50 PM
Cut the tape to open my wife's new vacuum cleaner.
Cut the plastic containers open to get the new flashlights I bought for my son and me. (Rayovac Extreme)

http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/nn405/Huckle2/Benchmade812.jpg

sm
July 7, 2008, 10:09 PM
*snicker*

SAK Classic had to open the box and package for a Tack-Tickle knife.
Since that new knife would not cut open CDs, butcher tape around 2 lbs of bacon, I used the SAK to do this.

I sure hope this fella does not get attacked by 2 pounds of slab bacon before he does his micro-breweries or whatever he is going to do on a doo-dad sharpener.

"Well that dinky thing (SAK Classic) is not big enough to cut a too-mah-toe".

Not sure what a too-mah-toe is , but for a Dr. Pepper I bet him I could cut up a 'Mater.
Which I did.

I got to sit next to two pretty young girls and they admired my Blue Bone Mini-Trapper by Queen.
"Darlin's , one can't buy skill and targets, and one has to knowed how to run what they brung".

The guy with the new knife and his buddies messed with his new knife, and played Zombie Attack X ( or some goofy game).

Me and the gals, went online:
They ordered each ordered:

-SAK Classics,
-Case Peanuts, (yellow handle, CV blades) and a Blue Bone Peanut,
-Yellow Case Mini Trapper, (yellow handle, CV blades), and Blue Bone,
and ..."yes darlin's, every aspiring Southern Belle from the great state of Michigan, needs a Case Slimline Trapper , with yellow handles, and CV blades".

I am a Southern Gent.
It is my responsibility to make sure young pretty girls with blond hair, blue eyes from up Nawth, get matriculated into Southern proper!

Use Enough Southern Charm

If you enjoyed reading about "So, anyone use their EDC blades today?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!