New To The Scene

PDA

July 1, 2008, 07:53 AM
Well, in the past few weeks all I've been doing is looking at guns and drooling over guns here or at the stores. I've always liked long range shooting. I think I've found the gun I want but I feel like I could use a little guidance from you guys. I have this Savage 7mm Rem Mag in mind. I've been looking for a good scope and until yesterday when I looked at a Nikon 3-9 with bdc I realized there is a difference in quality. Granted, it's nooot Leupold I could tell the difference between that and the scope that comes with it. I also plan on getting an extra swivel on the gun so I can have both a sling and a bipod. From what I've heard or from what I've seen I think I'm headed in the right direction. Later on I'd also like to get a Dragunov stock for it as well. Is there anything I'm drastically missing or I'm overseeing? Thanks for the read, and don't be afraid to comment. =]

If you enjoyed reading about "New To The Scene" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Art Eatman
July 1, 2008, 11:39 AM
Rambling around, sorta miscellaneous like: How much rifle shooting have you done? What sorts of rifles; what ranges?

Have you ever shot rifles that use such as the 7mm Rem Mag? Acquainted with the recoil? Is affordability of ammo a consideration?

Nothing wrong with you choice or ideas, don't misunderstand me. It's just that there's a learning curve, and your post doesn't say where you are on that. :)

Art

July 1, 2008, 08:32 PM
The guns I've shot.. Hm. About the average guns I would guess. That being: AK, SKS, M1 Garand, Nagant, some 9mm's, 45 ACP's, 4-10, and a 22lr.. lol

I know I have quite the resume, but I gotta start somewhere. I like to get pretty knowledgeable about anything before I do it and I would like to think someone with my build could handle recoil fairly well. Prices on ammo, I have checked, about 25 bucks for a box. Prices on things I want don't really come into play with me. If I'm into something I dedicate to it and stick with it.

It's kind of funny actually because the only times I ever shoot are in my yard, hunting, or at the local range. I live about a mile from the state forest and they have a shooting range there. I was playing around with my friend's 9mil and I was wearing some milk jugs out about 50 yards away.

I understand there will be a learning curve, and I'm pretty good at adapting and taking things in. Later on once I fully understand my gun I plan on breaking out the ghillie and doing some long-range-style-stalk-erm..-hunting.. If anyone understands that.. Think sniping for deer.

Okay, I hope that was adequate material.

Shawnee
July 1, 2008, 09:09 PM
The Savage is likely to be a good rifle: the 7mag. is both fun and challenging to shoot well, and the Nikon is a fine scope even if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Have a blast !

:cool:

July 1, 2008, 11:30 PM
Thanks for that, I can't wait to start training. I really would like as much feedback from everyone as possible. I love being given advice and such personally. Any and all feedback is appreciated. =D

Thanks for reading!

dmazur
July 1, 2008, 11:47 PM
Not knocking the 7mm Rem Mag...

If you haven't looked into F-Class shooting, you might want to search that.

Then, you'll probably notice that the .308 is allowed in F-Class Target (as is the .223). Anything else is F-Class Open.

http://f-classinfo.com/page1/page1.html

Then, look at Savage's 12F/TR

http://www.savagearms.com/2007_pressrelease.htm

This isn't a 7mm Rem Mag, but it's an acknowledged long range target rifle that can double as a long range hunting rifle. With a proper scope, you'd be set.

Art Eatman
July 2, 2008, 08:00 AM
Unless you get into serious turkey hunting, camo and ghillie stuff isn't at all necessary. Most any dull earth-toned clothing from GoodWill is plenty good. I've eased up close on many a deer while wearing old khakis. Learning how to walk quietly is probably the most important part of hunting. That and how to move without marching along...

July 2, 2008, 08:09 AM
Yeah, I live in West Virginia. I've been hunting many times in blue jeans and a beer shirt, lmao. Good times all around. I'd just like to take on a role of complete stealth. As with stealth, I like not being seen in general, I like observing. I guess I could be uhm, one with nature and stuff? Haha.

Also, thanks for showing me about F-Class, I think once my shots are good on the range I'll probably step it up and get into competition. But for now, I'm just a average hunter who is insane about his accuracy.

If you enjoyed reading about "New To The Scene" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!