Why does Rachen's name have "Loves Mao" under it?

PDA

PTK
July 2, 2008, 03:20 AM
As the subject says, why does THR member Rachen's name have "Loves Mao" underneath it instead of "new member", "member", or "senior member"?

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=80790&stc=1&d=1214983334

I would think THR staff would be above this sort of pettiness.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why does Rachen's name have "Loves Mao" under it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Thernlund
July 2, 2008, 12:53 PM
I'm interested to know too. However, IF it was some sort of maliciousness, I think it'll likely be swept under the rug.

-T.

JohnBT
July 2, 2008, 01:02 PM
I had to go search for posts out of curiosity.

All I found was:

Rachen

Thernlund
July 2, 2008, 01:06 PM
It's since been fixed. The title follows the member name, not the individual post.

PTK's example above is accurate as to how it did appear.

-T.

hso
July 2, 2008, 03:20 PM
We're trying to figure that out as well.

As to "I think it'll likely be swept under the rug.". I'd like to know what makes you think that THR would officially do that?

Geno
July 2, 2008, 03:59 PM
If found to have been malice, it would not be swept under the rug. THR stands for "The High Road". It is called that for a reason; we do not low road here. Let's give the mods time to investigate. In closing, a very serious thank-you to PTK for asking the question.

Kudos!

Doc2005

Cosmoline
July 2, 2008, 04:04 PM
Can we change our own?

Geno
July 2, 2008, 04:11 PM
Cos:

Precisely my question. When we were given the ability to lock our own threads, did perhaps some "other" abilities open? Is there a fluke of abilities somewhere?

The answer will be interesting, :D

Doc2005

Thernlund
July 2, 2008, 06:25 PM
As to "I think it'll likely be swept under the rug.". I'd like to know what makes you think that THR would officially do that?

I don't think that would be the official line from THR. Perhaps "swept under the rug" wasn't the correct term. I do not think THR would go out of its way to suppress such a case.

What I do think is that if a moderator or administrator did it maliciously, none of us in the rank-and-file would be apprised of it. The SOP is usually, "take it to PM". Public scrutiny of an individual, for right or wrong, isn't tolerated very long, if at all, on THR. In that vein, I expect that the offender would be quietly dealt with and nobody would wiser. It wouldn't be a state secret or anything, but it wouldn't purposefully be made known either.

This of course presupposes that maliciousness on the part of a THR mod or admin is the cause. I certainly expect that this isn't the case. But however unlikely, nothing is impossible I guess. As such, being that this is "The High Road", I would expect a public apology would be in order. If said apology was not rendered, I'd at least want an explanation from a third-party.

It is the explanation, in the very unlikely case of maliciousness, that I would not expect to see.

-T.

PTK
July 2, 2008, 07:03 PM
I wasn't trying to stir up trouble, folks. I was genuinely curious why a member of THR would be singled out like that.

Cosmoline
July 2, 2008, 07:08 PM
I can't do it to my own, but someone should as Rachen if it was really a prank or insult.

Thernlund
July 2, 2008, 07:17 PM
For my part, I suspect it may have been. He was involved in this thread...

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=374743

...where he seemed to be supporting China. I was not involved, but only investigated when I noticed the title change yesterday.

-T.

rbernie
July 2, 2008, 07:18 PM
By his own posts, Rachen is a 20-somethingish year old citizen of PRC, was born/raised in HK, and is an avowed admirer of Chairman Mao.

I suspect that he figured out a way to hack VBB to insert his own string.

Rachen
July 2, 2008, 08:37 PM
By his own posts, Rachen is a 20-somethingish year old citizen of PRC, was born/raised in HK, and is an avowed admirer of Chairman Mao.

Actually I am born and raised here in USA, but I love my ethnic country just as much as this one.:)

And I believe the "loves Mao" thing is a glitch, because THR has been experiencing some glitches lately, like that thread where the OP's post was the second post. The Internet is a funny place.

Rachen
July 2, 2008, 08:39 PM
I suspect that he figured out a way to hack VBB to insert his own string.

Yeah, come on:rolleyes:

When I first saw how my profile changed, I tried User CP and see if I could change anything. But no. Your member status cannot be changed.

Cosmoline
July 2, 2008, 08:41 PM
Rachen's good people even if somewhat misguided on the political front ;-)

If MY name has "loves Mao" under it, then we can start hunting for pirates.

4v50 Gary
July 2, 2008, 09:02 PM
You were born here Rachen? I thought you came from the Central Kingdom as a young adult.

Geno
July 2, 2008, 09:38 PM
Sorry fellas...I just find this whole thing funny. It's straight out of Attribution Theory. I'll keep checking back.

:D

Doc2005

Rachen
July 2, 2008, 09:39 PM
Yes, I am born here. That is why I work so hard for Sino American friendship. There are many of us born here that love China, as well as the USA.:D

XavierBreath
July 2, 2008, 09:40 PM
New Member, Member and Senior Member are set into the program based on post counts outside of the trading forums. Moderator and Administrator are assigned in accordance with duties.

Occasionally when an esteemed moderator such as Pax goes into retirement, we will change the title to Moderator Emeritus. More recently, when a member was murdered at the range, they became Member Emeritus.

Only a select few on Staff have the ability to alter user titles. Determining the culprit is/was extremely simple by looking at user log times and the Staff with access. I will not point fingers, but I will say the Staff member responsible is known, and the issue will not occur again.

Just as we do not discuss official Staff/Member warnings and removals in public, we do not discuss Staff/Staff issues. That has long been our policy and we wish to stick with it. One of the moderators confessed to poking fun at a member they knew wouldn't be offended. I can say that the moderator in question and the Staff at large apologizes for this occurance and the lowering of the standards we try to uphold.

Fair enough?

Geno
July 2, 2008, 09:47 PM
XB:

You're the best! So is THR! I knew it would be addressed. :cool:

Rachen:

Way to be a "good sport"! Kudos!

Doc2005

Thernlund
July 2, 2008, 09:54 PM
Fair enough?

As I piped up about likelyhood of an explanation being slim, I guess I'll respond to that...

Sure.

-T.

4v50 Gary
July 2, 2008, 09:57 PM
So I can't put after Rachen's name, "Champion of the proletariat peoples?"

BTW, I remember in our early days someone on the staff gave me the title, "Minister of Propaganda and Culture." Oh, for those happy days.

Geno
July 2, 2008, 10:12 PM
My wife and daughter call me "Dr. Evil". Any possibility I can have that added?! :neener:

Doc2005

Thernlund
July 2, 2008, 10:14 PM
I want mine put back to just "Member". I don't really feel senior to anyone here.

-T.

Robert Hairless
July 2, 2008, 11:14 PM
When we were given the ability to lock our own threads, did perhaps some "other" abilities open?

We have the ability to lock our own threads? How?

I suppose it took place during one of my naps. All the good stuff does.

XavierBreath
July 3, 2008, 12:26 AM
It's only in the trading forums Robert. After an item is sold, the OP has the ability to lock the thread.

JShirley
July 3, 2008, 12:28 AM
Locking your own threads is only possible in The Trading Post areas. Sorry. :)

John

TimboKhan
July 3, 2008, 12:33 AM
Can we change my "senior member" to a more simple "Rocks!!!"? That would be awesome, and pretty true. I do, in fact, rock.

Cosmoline
July 3, 2008, 01:37 AM
I want mine to say Master Debater.

wheelgunslinger
July 3, 2008, 10:58 AM
I want mine to say non-sequiturist :)

Robert Hairless
July 3, 2008, 02:25 PM

That'll be the day. :)

Rats. I had immediately worked out a scheme whereby I could lock a thread as soon as anyone disagreed with me, then reopen it when I had another point to make and relock it fast. I suppose it's unnecessary, though, because it's rare that anyone disagrees with me. Still, it might have been fun.

Remind me of when are we going to get an Off Topic message section? I lost my note on the scheduled date, and nobody has asked recently.

I want mine to say non-sequiturist

I've always wanted to take sequitur lessons but my fingers aren't nimble enough to manipulate the strings.

Thernlund
July 3, 2008, 05:04 PM
Remind me of when are we going to get an Off Topic message section?

Some time after man colonizes Europa. Firm date not set.

-T.

Rachen
July 3, 2008, 06:54 PM

I want mine to say "Division Commander. People's Liberation Army. Zhijiazhuang District.":D

Bazooka Joe71
July 3, 2008, 09:37 PM
Hmm...Mods will moan at the slightest deviation to one of our rules, lock the thread in a heartbeat and sometimes ban users...And this happens.

Peculiar.

Jdude
July 3, 2008, 10:21 PM
I want mine put back to just "Member". I don't really feel senior to anyone here.Senior is not based on your post count, but on your sanity. I got my senior tag when I posted "where can i buy peaches and cream oatmeal?" over in strategies and tactics.Hmm...Mods will moan at the slightest deviation to one of our rules, lock the thread in a heartbeat and sometimes ban users...And this happens.
Peculiar.Mods and admin do not get banned. Whoever was guilty was taken out back and... reassigned. The last time this happened, mine was changed to "Jdude moved chairman mao's cheese cause Jdude is a capitalist meanie". We lost 15 moderators and 2 admin to the execut- err temporary reassignments. ;)

Larry Ashcraft
July 3, 2008, 10:29 PM
Hmm...Mods will moan at the slightest deviation to one of our rules, lock the thread in a heartbeat and sometimes ban users...And this happens.

Peculiar.
Hmm. I hadn't noticed, but it must be Thursday. :rolleyes:

WNTFW
July 3, 2008, 11:21 PM
Under my user name I would like:
Loves MOA

I would prefer:
Loves Sub MOA

However I'm not that good of a shot and people would spend too much time telling me so.

I can tell you guys that THR is The High Road compared to many sites out there. Partly because of the mods. Mainly because most of the membership does conduct themselves accordingly, either by not being a problem or by not tolerating a problem. Of course there are exceptions, but by and large I like it here because I can count on a certain level of civility & fairness.

Thanks for having me,
WNTFW

MaterDei
July 3, 2008, 11:32 PM
Can't or can, WNTFW? :)

Loves MOA is cool!

WNTFW
July 3, 2008, 11:45 PM
I saw the cant in question.
edited
thanks

Art Eatman
July 4, 2008, 10:31 AM
I gave up moaning for Lent, back around 1960 or thereabouts. Never did find it again, after that...

TGIF. Dead horses get buried on Fridays...

:), Art

If you enjoyed reading about "Why does Rachen's name have "Loves Mao" under it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!