Higher-end revolvers?

PDA

Taffnevy
July 2, 2008, 06:52 PM
Who makes higher-end revolvers? I know about Freedom Arms, but who else is there with a good reputation?

Count out Smith and Wesson Performance Center, at least until the lock goes.

If you enjoyed reading about "Higher-end revolvers?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Redhawk1
July 2, 2008, 07:02 PM
Get as custom from Gary Reeder or Jack Huntington

Taffnevy
July 2, 2008, 07:11 PM
So, is this the same deal as 1911 smiths?

What is considered the best "base gun" for smith work?

Any other smith suggestions? I like the minimalist look.

Redhawk1
July 2, 2008, 07:12 PM
I like the Ruger Blackhawk as a base gun.

lee n. field
July 2, 2008, 07:25 PM
Higher-end revolvers?

Korth. The only way to spend more on a revolver is to pay someone to machine one for you out of a solid chunk of gold.

JERRY
July 2, 2008, 07:33 PM
the old school S&W guns are still available at reasonable prices...

PotatoJudge
July 2, 2008, 07:37 PM
BFR for factory stuff and there are used Interarm Virginians that were supposed to be pretty nice. There are lots of custom guys getting the most out of Rugers (Bowen, Hamilton, Reeder, etc.). Gemini does good DA work from what I've seen.

FullEffect1911
July 2, 2008, 07:48 PM
Korth. The only way to spend more on a revolver is to pay someone to machine one for you out of a solid chunk of gold.

now that's comedy.

I think if you get a revolver from any of the top tier manufacturers you will be more than satisfied. Especially if you consider PC smiths in there.

The revolver is an old design that has had a long time to be perfected. Therefore you can get a great performing gun from many different places.

wyocarp
July 2, 2008, 07:55 PM
fulleffect, hey do you know the name of who is making the solid chunk gold pistols? I'd like one.

FullEffect1911
July 2, 2008, 07:57 PM
wyocarp

I have a machine shop.... a one million dollar down payment plus the cost of materials and i'll get it done for you.

It won't fire and will look exactly like a S&W or whatever other specs I can find.

I'm now taking orders. :D

Snapping Twig
July 2, 2008, 10:32 PM
Linebaugh, Ross Seyfried is involved I believe although I don't know if he builds them. Lots of nice Ruger conversions out there.

Robusto
July 2, 2008, 10:37 PM
My Python will print sub 1" groups with good loads out to 30 yards in my hands. A good shooter at my old club put 6 shots into 1.25" at 60 yards. I still think that the old Colt Pythons are dollar for dollar some of the best (and best looking) revolvers on the market.

Moonclip
July 3, 2008, 04:21 AM
Manurhin MR73, Freedom arms,Korth, how high end are we talking? Willing to go used? I have a S&W 629 classic DX pre lock, I think they are the top of the line until you get in to performance center guns.

You could go the custom route also. Hamilton Bowen.

All joking aside I think there was a derringer made mostly of gold and with a diamond inlaid front sight.

Jim Watson
July 3, 2008, 08:49 AM
I think there were a few gold Walthers made for uppercrust Nazis.
Probably good for one shot to suicide when the Thousand Year Reich fell 990 short.

Randy Lee of Apex Tactical is the current darling of revolver competitors because of his light, smooth double actions.

Action_Can_Do
July 3, 2008, 10:29 AM
Fulleffect,

I'll take one of those gold guns. Make mine a model 29 smith. Do you take checks?;)

FullEffect1911
July 3, 2008, 02:38 PM
Do you take checks?

Sure thing, but work doesn't start until it clears, but once it does I will guarantee that I will devote all of my time to finishing the project... and then retire. :D

On topic however, higher end doesn't necessarily denote expensive. It completely depends on what you are looking for. Fit and finish, accuracy, smoothness etc.

Taffnevy
July 3, 2008, 10:22 PM
When I say higher-end, I just mean better made than a stock S&W or Ruger. I do not mean Korth, or solid gold, or Hitlers personal diamond encrusted six-shooter!

Can we make a little list?

-Freedom Arms
-Pre 2001 S&W
-Current Ruger with smith work
-?
-?
-?

Moonclip
July 4, 2008, 04:41 AM
Pre 2001 S&W too vague, some are very not "high end". If you have FA on the list, you might as well add Manurhin.

ArchAngelCD
July 4, 2008, 05:07 AM
I have to agree, Freedom Arms revolvers are usually $2000 and up. Some of the Korth revolvers I've seen were priced near $5,000 and they go higher. There are some original Colt revolvers that will run you 5 digits if you can get the owner to sell.

Here (http://www.gunsamerica.com/976982688/Guns/Rifles/TU-Misc-Rifles/KORTH_COMBAT_TROJA_357.htm) is a Korth revolver in .357 Magnum you can buy for a mere $5,050 if you cat fast!! LOL

Hey, the list goes on but for me, they are all out of my price range...

Stainz
July 4, 2008, 07:09 AM
For we mere mortals, a new 627 Pro, a decent set of wood grips, and a 'master revolver job' from S&W's PC shop will get you as close to nirvana as practical - and for a kilobuck, too. You'll have an excellent 8-banger 4" .357M that was affordable - at least enough so that you could carry it, plink with it, and clean it with pride. No room here for a Korth or Manurhin. And, if I want another SA with scribbling on the barrel, I'll save a bunch of sheckles and get a Ruger. At least they now put their's on the barrel's underside! TIC there, FAs are really nice - too bad I out grew SAs!

Stainz

lee n. field
July 4, 2008, 09:59 AM
When I say higher-end, I just mean better made than a stock S&W or Ruger. I do not mean Korth,

Saying that at the front end would have avoided much silliness.

So. What do you want to do with this high end revolver? What's it for?

PzGren
July 4, 2008, 10:07 AM
Freedom Arms revolvers are very well made but my first choice goes to Korth. Ever since I shot one my heart lusted for one!!!!

I just found a 1969 Korth .22 l.r. that had goofy grips on it, now I am looking for grips that fit me and guess I will have to make them myself. Korth in Germany and Nill in Germany have no grips for the older revolvers right now.

The quality is amazing, the accuracy unbelievable, the double action is just great...and the blueing nicer than on my Python.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z159/Andyd173/korth001.jpg

Moonclip
July 4, 2008, 11:17 PM
How much did you give for it? How bad are the earlier grips? Where did you find it?

PzGren
July 4, 2008, 11:26 PM
The grips are anatomical grips and just don't fit me, they are some extremely hard wood without grain and colouring.
I paid a bit under two grand for it in a private sale from a fellow that had inherited it and needed money.

I already have a walnut block and am working on the grips, trying to get as close to the original shape as possible, but will probably stipple them instead of checkering them.

I am afraid that this will not be my last Korth. I can barely see the line where the side plate is fitted in and the quality is amazing. The early Korths, before Dynamit Nobel bought Korth, had much more labor in them than the recent ones.

Ever since I shot a SIG P210, I also am waiting for good opportunity to get one:).

Moonclip
July 4, 2008, 11:28 PM
In think you got a good deal, I bet the grips look like those Herrett target grips. I wonder who made yours? Show us a target show with the Korth? Are you using high end ammo?

SaxonPig
July 4, 2008, 11:29 PM
I suggest a S&W Registered Magnum. An example with some surface rust and missing stocks will cost about $3,000.

Decent, with an old factory refinish will run in the $5,000 neighborhood.

Good original blue, uncommon features or barrel length and you're talking $10,000.

Original box and tools makes it a $15,000 - $20,000 gun. Add maybe $5,000 if the registration certificate is there.

That high end enough?

Chuck Dye
July 4, 2008, 11:32 PM
Bowen Classic Arms (http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/)

PzGren
July 4, 2008, 11:33 PM
The grips were custom made. No, I do not use high end ammo, yet. I use CCI and a 9 ring average bulls-eye style is good enough for practice.

PzGren
July 4, 2008, 11:35 PM
I suggest a S&W Registered Magnum. An example with some surface rust and missing stocks will cost about $3,000.

That high end enough?

High end or high priced collectible?????

AJD
July 4, 2008, 11:44 PM
US Firearms

http://www.gunblast.com/Cumpston_USFA-PreWar.htm

I was inclined to start looking for my own second generation Colt when a conversation with premier revolversmith, Hamilton Bowen, changed the equation entirely. Bowen had been using the USFA revolvers as a favored basis for his custom single actions, replacing the Italian lock work with domestic parts. Now, not only are the frames and barrels produced domestically, but the company has abandoned the brittle action parts in favor of high quality American components. Current examples Bowen had examined exhibited perfect fit, finish and timing as well as careful attention to barrel/chamber measurements. Bowen summed it up in this wise: “There is really nothing that needs to be done to them.”

mtngunr
July 5, 2008, 12:08 AM
USFA's are properly dimensioned in bore/chamber-throat relationships, and look about as nice inside as any pre-WWI revolver....

.38 Special
July 5, 2008, 12:32 AM
Don't forget the Triple Lock. It -- and the registered Magnum -- are in fact very nicely put together guns with top-notch craftsmanship and finish. They're not just "collector's" guns that are considered valuable only because they are rare and old.

As for the OP's question, I think he's silly. He wants to know what's nicer than stock S&W, but won't count Performance Center guns because of the lock, and also doesn't count the Korth because, apparently, it's too nice. So maybe I'll play as soon as the OP finishes out his list of arbitrary disqualifications. :neener:

PzGren
July 5, 2008, 05:12 AM
-Freedom Arms
-Pre 2001 S&W
-?
-?
-?

I was never happy with any pre-2001 S&W revolver until the action was improved and the gun often needed little adjustments. Worst were the guns from the period with the darn floating hand! My 629 Classic Hunter and 686 CS1 had that stupid thing!

Despite the lock, a Performance Center gun will do better than 98% of shooters will be able to appreciate, not even make use of.

And a Korth does not cost it's weight in gold, a good 1911 is not a really cheaper. Add to the list:

-Freedom Arms
-Pre 2001 S&W
-? S&W Performance Center
-? Korth
-? Colt Python
- USAF
- Colt SAA

However, I would really not call a pre 2001 S&W revolver higher end, they did set the standard being the most common handgun for a long period of time! And that in itself isn't necessariy negative and the very reason why I have a few of them in my humble accumulation of shooters.

SaxonPig
July 5, 2008, 12:02 PM
Pz- You would be hard pressed to find a better made revolver than the pre-war Magnum S&Ws (a Colt Python from the 1950s or early 1960s would be a close race). They were hand-built with total commitment to top quality fit and finish. The blue on an original RM has to be seen to be believed.

Collectible? I suppose. But I am not a collector. I have a 4" RM that I shoot regularly and even use sometimes for my carry gun.

http://www.fototime.com/6E233DC6AF3FD86/standard.jpg

PzGren
July 5, 2008, 12:59 PM
I had the pleasure to shoot a couple of them over the years. The problem that I see is that the prices reflect disprortionate collector value .

Yes, they are nice! The finish and fit is completely different from today's standards but considering metallurgical advancements, and all other things considered , I will go a different route.

I admit, even at their time, the registered Magnums were not standard quality but top notch - and they still are but at a very high price due to their collectability:).

bluetopper
July 5, 2008, 01:19 PM
I wished Freedom made a double-action revolver. The S/A grip just doesn't fit me.

mec
July 17, 2008, 05:33 PM
Factory built: Freedom Arms, Korth, USFA, STI Texican.

Custom: Google up the American Pistolsmith's Guild and study the member specialties/web pages. Avoid other "custom smiths" except for Clements and Alan Horton.

Redhawk1
July 17, 2008, 06:34 PM
Custom: Google up the American Pistolsmith's Guild and study the member specialties/web pages. Avoid other "custom smiths" except for Clements and Alan Horton.

And why is that?

Jack Huntington and Gary Reeder are very good custom gun smiths.

mec
July 17, 2008, 07:51 PM
http://www.pdhsc.com/JRH500-500.jpg
Huntington Revolver
http://tenring.com/Blackhawkengraved8.jpg
custom ruger by Alex Hamilton, Ten Ring Precision (APG) with engraving by Tommy Kaye and grips by Roy Fishpaw. Finish by Turnbull Restorations .
http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/NEW/images/1917_r1_c1.jpg
Bowen Classic Arms (APG)
http://www.reedercustomguns.com/revolvers/images/dh_classic.jpg
Reeder revolver
http://www.reedercustomguns.com/revolvers/images/num5_1.jpg
Reeder Revolver.

JohnL2
September 2, 2008, 08:21 AM
uppercrust Nazis.

(chuckling)

PzGren
September 2, 2008, 03:14 PM
Factory built: Freedom Arms, Korth, USFA, STI Texican.

I have been to the Korth shop in Ratzeburg, Germany. I would not call it a factory but a small shop in a quiet, beautiful town. And I talked to the only guy on the premises on a Friday morning - auf Deutsch. I think Les Baer is a whole lot bigger, so is Bowen.

crebralfix
September 2, 2008, 08:32 PM
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i236/crebralfix/revolvers/SW27sharp.jpg
S&W Model 27 Registered Magnum Performance Center from Lew Horton

It has everything on the gun that you could want except night sights.

Noxx
September 2, 2008, 10:07 PM
PzGren,

I'd say you did alright on your Korth, here's the same .22 on Gunbroker....

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=108530180

mbkmkk
September 3, 2008, 11:16 PM
Randy Lee of Apex Tactical is the current darling of revolver competitors because of his light, smooth double actions.

He also does great work on 1911's. He put in Bull Barrels in a couple of my 10mm's.

PzGren
September 4, 2008, 12:03 PM
Noxx,
....and you do not even know how ridiculously little I paid after a dozen years of wanting one!

Just when I was prepared to pay a hefty price, I got for ....a song:D.

And now I am looking for the SIG P210 that I also lust after for many, many years since I have first tried them...

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
September 4, 2008, 02:22 PM

Actually, I know one other way.... I'll charge you $10,000 for my Rossi, and if you pay me that, you will have spent more.

I hear that you CANNOT BEAT Freedom Arms, but never owned one.

Rmac58
September 4, 2008, 06:59 PM
http://www.kitsune.addr.com/Firearms/Revolvers/Mateba_Model_6.htm
Anyone familiar with this?

If you enjoyed reading about "Higher-end revolvers?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!