Price check S&W48-2

PDA

smee781
July 3, 2008, 07:11 PM
Hi all,

I found a 6" 48-2 today, for $420 OTD. It may have its box and papers (gun is on Consignment) owner is looking for them. It looks to be in good condition, there is a little muzzle wear on both sides of the barrel, a bit of a turn line and the grips are a little ruff/scuffed. It does seem to lock up nice though, and is pinned and recessed. So what is the going rate for a revolver in this condition????:confused:

Thanks all,

If you enjoyed reading about "Price check S&W48-2" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
steveno
July 3, 2008, 07:33 PM
maybe a little high but not much. M-48 in 22 mag is a lot of fun to shoot although a little on the expensive and noisy side.

smee781
July 3, 2008, 09:29 PM
The noise should not be a problem.......I shoot my cut down 5 1/2 30 carbine blackhawk :D

machinisttx
July 3, 2008, 10:54 PM
I'd buy it for that.

Shade00
July 4, 2008, 12:22 AM
I'd do it in a heartbeat and not think twice.

theNoid
July 4, 2008, 01:31 PM
I'd jump on it fer sure...ifn's I could afford it right now...lol.

Noidster

Shade00
July 4, 2008, 03:35 PM
Although the .22LR S&Ws are in high demand and .22 mag ammo is much more expensive, my justification for purchasing at that price would be fivefold:

1) It's a classic S&W.
2) It's at a good price - $420 for a rimfire S&W in good shape is a good deal.
3) Seems like the .22 mag guns command a higher price than their .22 LR counterparts. I dunno, maybe S&W didn't produce as many.
4) I don't have a wheelgun in .22 mag.
5) It's a classic S&W.

So yes, if I saw that gun in the shop today for that price, it'd be mine. Maybe a little bit of haggling would come first, though. :)

Old Fuff
July 4, 2008, 04:15 PM
3) Seems like the .22 mag guns command a higher price than their .22 LR counterparts. I dunno, maybe S&W didn't produce as many.

True, they didn't. Check production numbers in your Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson. But remember those high $$$ come from collectors looking for perfect pieces. But there also seem to be a shooters market interest in the .22 Magnum. That I find interesting. I have a friend that has a little 4" Taurus, and he loves it.

smee781
July 4, 2008, 04:26 PM
Thanks all for the info, I tried to haggel a little but it was a consignment gun and I watched two other people come in asking about the gun after I had them set it in the safe for me. Just in time......

Thanks again,
Ron

steveno
July 4, 2008, 06:21 PM
you will like it. 22 magnums can be a little finicky about ammo. I had a M-48 made in 1959 and the only thing it shot well was Federal 50 grain hp's. I currently have a M-48 made in 1965 and it doesn't like the Federal's at all but does like the Winchester 40 grain hp's and the new Hornady 22 mag ammo

If you enjoyed reading about "Price check S&W48-2" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!