1911 jams with +P ammo

PDA

larryw
January 13, 2003, 04:18 PM
I have a full size 1911 that, after tweaking, has been very reliable. Usual loads are standard velocity 200gr and 230gr RN FMJ and 200 gr LSWC.

Today I shot some +P 185gr JHP ammo through it and ran into jamming problems (three times out of 50 rounds). Jam was the gun wouldn't go into battery and the hook of the extractor was behind the case rim. Cartridge was in the chamber.

Recoil spring is stock with less than 500 rounds through this one (gun had Wilson's ShokBufs and springs most of its life). Could stock spring weight be the problem? If so, any recommendations on a spring that will handle both standard ball and 1150fps 185gr +P ammo?

Any other thoughts?

I really like the way this particular 1911 shoots and would like to use it as a house gun, but not like this.

thanks,
Larry

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 jams with +P ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sean Smith
January 13, 2003, 05:53 PM
Going to an 18.5 lb spring MIGHT fix your problem.

As a side note, you might want to think about why you need +P in a .45 in the first place. :D

Dogsoldier
January 13, 2003, 11:57 PM
What is the cartridge over all length? I have seen some 1911's choke up with a too short a round. As my dear old dad would say, "Son, you slide is moving too fast"*** I'm with Sean, change the recoil spring to a heavier one. Or pick up a Wolff variable tension spring.

*** Actually Dad was usually heard to say to me..."What the hell are you doing now?":what:

larryw
January 14, 2003, 12:51 AM
COL is 1.205", which is right where my manuals want a 185gr JHP.

I'll try a 18.5# spring. Thanks.

Why +P 45? Isn't that a silly question coming from a 10MM fan? I like them big AND fast. :D

Sean Smith
January 14, 2003, 12:00 PM
It's like trying to make a cow into a drag racer... :D

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 jams with +P ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!