My 1st Revolver - It's a Colt!

PDA

arcticap
July 4, 2008, 05:10 PM
I bought a BP rifle from a friend the other day, sort of as a favor for his father. After paying him, he opened up a pistol case to show me this BP revolver and asked me to make him an offer for it. I wasn't sure that I even wanted it when he stated a price that I couldn't refuse.
So now I'm the owner of an Armi San Marco .44 Navy that only had about 50 rounds shot through it. It shows a date code of 1992 and he even pre-loaded it with 28 grains of black powder in each cylinder. He polished up the brass really nice and it doesn't appear to have been abused. However it does have a light trigger which because it's an Armi San Marco, I hope is not a bad sign.
From reading, that could be the sign of a soft hammer?
It seems to be okay for now anyway. Otherwise the action seems smooth & tight, and it has nice grips.
Should I have just let it be returned back into the case like an unwanted orphan? :D

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=80913&stc=1&d=1215202129

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=80914&stc=1&d=1215202144

If you enjoyed reading about "My 1st Revolver - It's a Colt!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Donny
July 4, 2008, 05:32 PM
Light trigger has more to do with an un-casehardened trigger than a soft hammer. VTI gunparts has replacement triggers for that revolver. Had the same problem with my Armi San Marco revolver. Trigger got scary light so I replaced it with no difficulty at all. Go ahead and shoot that gun and clean it thouroughly. I think you'll enjoy it very much. Don't forget to read the stickys regarding revolvers and don't hesitate to ask questions.

Don

scrat
July 4, 2008, 06:19 PM
Send it back heck no. Heck send it to me id give you a fair price if you wanted to part ways with it. Now you need to go out and shoot it.

Smokin_Gun
July 5, 2008, 05:29 AM
arcticap
Congrads on the 1851 ASM...looks great I'm sure you will enjoy it.
No fast draw holster for at least a month:rolleyes:

I got an 1860 ASM in the mail headed my way, with a .31 Pocket Rem to keep it company on their journey.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Smokin_Gun/remington_pocket-pistol.jpg

Have fun with it, that's what they are for.:cool:

mykeal
July 5, 2008, 09:05 AM
It's a fine looking gun, should give years of service with moderate to light loads. Replacing the trigger (I'd take the opportunity to replace the trigger/bolt spring as well, more on that later) is not difficult.

It looks like a Sheriff's model (5" barrel), which is unusual, especially in .44 cal, but makes for a very nice shooting gun. You should enjoy it.

Action parts are not expensive, often being less than shipping costs. I'd buy at least one spare for all the action parts, especially the trigge/bolt spring and hand assembly. You may never need them but at least you won't pay shipping twice.

Consider this: there is an aftermarket wire trigger/bolt spring made for Colt Single Action Army revolvers that will fit that gun and helps smooth up the action a great deal. It's made by Heine and is available from Brownell's. It's certainly not PC but it does improve the action and it will last forever.

BTW, I like SG's Remmy, too, Nice looking gun, esp. with the short barrel. Very nice, guys, thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "My 1st Revolver - It's a Colt!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!