July 2008 THR bolt action Extreme Accuracy Challenge

PDA

R.W.Dale
July 4, 2008, 04:20 PM
This match is an open invitation for the proud owners of a centerfire bolt action rifle to pit your rifle's accuracy and your shooting skills against other manufacturers and your fellow THR members. But remember this is meant to be FUN.

This match will end in two ways with two winners. First there will be an individual winner over all. Second when the dust settles I'll average all groups together by manufacturer and have a Manufacturers title as well.
This way everyone is encouraged to join no matter what rifle you have, be it a Varmint target rig or a deer gun. Be it large or small everybody's group effects their rifle's manufacturers overall score.

Tha rules!

rifles

The rifle used must be a bolt action in a centerfire cartridge.

It must utilize a factory action (sav, rem, win, CZ ect ect)

EVERYTHING ELSE GOES!

the shooting

You will be scored by firing a pair of 5 shot groups at a range of 100yds using this target printed on a piece of STD printer paper.
http://www.glockfaq.com/targets/bullseye/bullseye_halfinch_2.pdf

For those with lower magnification scopes you may add a target dot of your choice, But the groups MUST be fired on this target.

You may utilize any shooting position <bags, bipods or rests> you desire. The only stipulation is YOU must shoot the group and not use a shooting vice. I want a human finger pulling the trigger, a human face against the cheekpiece and a human shoulder against the buttstock. No fixed rifle shooting vices

Scoring

When you have a target you're satisfied with your score will be calculated by averaging together the group size in inches calculated C.T.C. of BOTH 5 shot groups. ON THE TARGET make note of the rifle used, caliber, group size <individual and average>, date and any other relevant information. Then scan and or take a pic of it and post it here.

this as an example of how the finished and scored target should look

Each member is allowed to submit only ONE target for scoring. So pick your best shootin iron. You can shoot as many targets as you want but again only one will be submitted for scoring

If you don't have access to a measuring equipment or a way to post pics PM me and we can make arrangements for you to mail the target to me.

Like in Golf the lowest score wins!

This match will rely on the honor system for the most part please be honest.

the deadline for target submittal is Sunday Aug the 3rd

If you enjoyed reading about "July 2008 THR bolt action Extreme Accuracy Challenge" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JustsayMo
July 5, 2008, 09:08 PM
Cool! I've got to get a scope on my Remington 700 in 30-06!

sarduy
July 6, 2008, 12:11 AM
i'm in;)

photo_guy
July 6, 2008, 12:18 AM
I'd love to join this month but I am equipment challenged in the bolt rifle area.

I'm going to pick a nit here...as you have defined the scoring this is really an "Extreme Precision Challenge" since group size is the only criteria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accuracy_and_precision

I'm glad you guys are running these contests - no matter how you title them. ;)

bgeddes
July 6, 2008, 01:04 AM
I was at the range with my father-in-law this weekend. He did this (5 30cal shots in 1/2 in.) twice, and he wasn't satisfied with the rifle's performance. He shoots a 10.5 pound gun with a 6x scope. Weapon was on a benchrest but the rifle was not clamped, just rested.

I was shooting the AK, poorly I might add, and I could keep my groups in the 8" range.

NvTwist
July 6, 2008, 01:48 AM
I'm in, Next time I head out shooting I'll be sure to print up the target. I'll be using a Savage 12fv chambered in .223

sadlsor
July 8, 2008, 01:00 AM
Hi Krochus, I appreciate your offering up this opportunity to un-safe the bang sticks.

However, I will be the one to ask those annoying goober questions, not to irritate anyone, but to step up in place of those timid souls who are perhaps just too embarrassed to ask what's really on their minds:

I understand the basic meaning of "bolt action." To me that says, don't submit a target I might want to shoot with my Winchester .30-.30, which is obviously a lever action. (Yeah, I read your sig line, so don't ask me why I'd want to shoot that caliber anyway... just consider this a hypothetical, OK?) :)

Rather, I might wish to bring a .22-.250 Ruger M77 Mark II, which has that knobbed reloading handle that sticks out the side. Likewise a Mauser 6.5x55 (assuming I could see the target over iron sights, which is doubtful at 100 yds.)

:confused: But someone mentioned shooting their AK... hmmm. My M14 Bushmaster, which I shoot in hi-power matches, has a bolt, too. For that matter, there's an M1A downstairs, with a similar action. It just doesn't have the knob-thing hanging off the outside of the gun. Are semi-auto bolt actions acceptable?

Further, you state that with lower magnification, we "may add a target dot of your choice". So, could we, say, color in the next 3 or 4 target rings?

Would these two examples be a blatant violation, or maybe too liberal an interpretation of the spirit of the rules? If so, I can accept that.

Sorry for the feigned ignorance, but it's really not. Feigned, that is. Let's just say I've been wrapped up in the rimfires lately, as JustSayMo will attest. :)

Thanks for your patience with my silly questions. No, I mean, er... the silly questions which might be on the minds of those souls alluded too, above, who are reluctant to risk public humiliation. Yeah, that's it. :D

R.W.Dale
July 8, 2008, 06:18 AM
If the ATF or manufacturer considers your rifle to be a bolt action then it qualifies. Otherwize NO

Color in as many target rings as you wish. I just need to be able to ascertain that the proper target was used.. This is to keep out groups fired before this match was started

skinewmexico
July 8, 2008, 09:46 AM
If you do this again, you might want to think about 3 groups - AR, factory, and gunsmithed. Assuming you get a good turnout on this.

Medusa
July 11, 2008, 03:50 AM
Eh, I forgot to take the target's pictures, but those were non-standard (No.4, used here) anyway.

But with TRG-22, .308Win, I scored 2.75 inch group @300m (330y). With semi auto Galil, also .308Win (ammo US standard M80 ball), my last score was 5 inch, same distance.

Last time I shot 100m (110y) with semi-auto .22LR rifle, which scored 1.25 inch, before that M14 (also M80) that was 2 inch@100m.

All are prone and on bipod with optics (M14 is only one bone stock).

I just might start "shooting" the targets, when I do go to 100m lane, as it's not challenging to shoot such a close distance, so it doesn't happen very often.

R.W.Dale
July 14, 2008, 06:36 PM
I expect everyone to shoot a few targets in order to have a "pick of the litter" so to speak, but I really thought there would be a couple posted by now.

Horsemany
July 16, 2008, 02:34 PM
I believe the problem is the possibility of a critic. No matter how good there's alway someone better. That could be intimidating for some.

R.W.Dale
July 16, 2008, 06:29 PM
I believe the problem is the possibility of a critic. No matter how good there's alway someone better. That could be intimidating for some.

That may be the case elsewhere but it ain't gonna happen in my thread! I'm going to ask the mods to delete anything even remotely critical of any other members targets.

I think a lot of it is that this match is quite a bit more challenging than it sounds. Not only are you encouraged to shoot two tiny groups on the same page but the target must satisfy the shooter first and foremost. The hard part is shooting two groups together that are a constant representation of what you and your rifle can do. I know I'm having a hard time doing it. There always seems to be that ONE flier in group number 2 that ruins everything

Zak Smith
July 16, 2008, 06:31 PM
I'm going to see if I have time to get it done this weekend...

FireArmFan
July 17, 2008, 04:40 AM
I would love to participate but unfortunately I don't have a bolt action in a centerfire caliber. I do have a bolt action .22lr. But my centerfire rifles are semi-auto.

wobster
July 19, 2008, 10:28 PM
I am by no means a great shot, but I will give it a try tomorrow. Got a Savage 308 that I want to see how well it does.

Afy
July 20, 2008, 07:18 AM
Where are the targets?

I am travelling :( So no shooting...

wobster
July 20, 2008, 08:42 PM
Well, my performance today was lackluster. I will be going out again later this week. Bottom group was .87 CTC, top was 1.5. Will be going out again when it is not so hot. It was 95 and humid today, rest was so hot I couldn't touch it without putting something down over it. I will have a target up before the contest is done.

Zak Smith
July 21, 2008, 02:49 PM
Life intervened and I couldn't get to it this weekend. Still plan to try to get out, though.

DRYHUMOR
July 21, 2008, 06:38 PM
I'm in

bogie
July 21, 2008, 07:10 PM
Hmmm...

(looking at my Stevens-built Savage 110 chambered in 6BR, and my rail gun, and wondering if I really wanna pull the top end of the rail apart...)

EricTheBarbarian
July 21, 2008, 08:31 PM
maybe if you do another one of these, a milsurp bolt action class would be good........

esmith
July 24, 2008, 02:19 AM
Once i get the rem 700 tactical i have been talking about i think ill give this a shot.

maybe if you do another one of these, a milsurp bolt action class would be good........

only to have the k-31s and finnish m39s shoot us all out!

jerkface11
July 28, 2008, 12:14 AM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a261/jerkface11/Savagegroup.jpg

The pic didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped. But it's a Savage Model-12 in 6.5x47 shooting 109gr scenars. With an average group size of .475

doc2rn
July 28, 2008, 08:52 AM
Ugh I am trapped in DC hell and my long arms are back in Kansas!

Good luck to all!

How soon to the next one?

Afy
July 28, 2008, 05:17 PM
What distance were you shooting that 6.5x47? Looks good... infact its the best one I have seen all thread. Congratulations..

jerkface11
July 29, 2008, 12:39 AM
It was shot at 100 yards as specified in the rules.

chute2thrill
July 31, 2008, 03:54 AM
Now I need to scope my 700 .30-06..

xringonly
July 31, 2008, 02:38 PM
OK guys, I really tried. Havnt done any shooting in years but I cleaned the ole .308 last night and gathered my stuff this morning. Out at the big range I discovered I only had 6 rounds of "good" ammo. We proceeded with sighting and my eleven year old daughter helped me shoot,(me 2 shots, her 1 shot), a group of <.250! I was very happy! Alas, the only ammo we had left was Fed. match of an untried lot#. Inch groups was all we could achieve, not even cutting holes! I will try to finish reloading/gun room so we can compete next month, till then good luck all.
Carl

jerkface11
July 31, 2008, 11:10 PM
If I win by default I'm still going to brag about it.

Afy
August 1, 2008, 11:28 AM
I am going to the range tomorrow... but dont think that I will be able to offer too much of a challenge.

But yes... please do brag away. :)

R.W.Dale
August 4, 2008, 12:24 AM
Well the RESULT is in. A month later and right at 1377 views and only one person participated.

Jerkface11 congratulations your .475 average wins the 2008 bolt action extreme accuracy challenge overall best score.

And the manufacturers title goes to Savage Arms

Afy
August 4, 2008, 04:32 AM
Are we having one for August?

R.W.Dale
August 4, 2008, 11:25 AM
Are we having one for August?

NO not with the level of participation this match garnered. I think the heat may have factored in in the low participation. I MIGHT do another in September or October if enough people commit to shoot in it.

General Geoff
August 23, 2008, 12:33 PM
Only if you allow autoloaders next time. ;)

(which, btw, should drastically increase interest in this sort of thing)

Schleprok62
August 23, 2008, 12:51 PM
Krochus,

You should still have it this month... reason: Garnering a following will take time, and patience. Believe me, the rimfire matches have gained because it is there month after month, participation level fluctuates, but it is growing... as is the competition. You should do the same... the participation will slowly start gaining in numbers... I was planning on doing it this month now that I have my weekends free...

Just my 0.02

R.W.Dale
August 23, 2008, 01:11 PM
Krochus,

You should still have it this month... reason: Garnering a following will take time, and patience. Believe me, the rimfire matches have gained because it is there month after month, participation level fluctuates, but it is growing... as is the competition. You should do the same... the participation will slowly start gaining in numbers... I was planning on doing it this month now that I have my weekends free...

I think for September I'm going to try something that may garner more interest. I'm going to have a Milsurp only match, Issue sights, 5 rounds at 100yds, must be a true milsurp rifle

Schleprok62
August 23, 2008, 01:54 PM
well, that would leave me out... I don't own a milsurp... LOL... and finding an affordable M14(not CHEAP) has not been successful at all... :)

skinewmexico
August 23, 2008, 04:43 PM
Only if you allow autoloaders next time.

Maybe some of the people with so much interest in autoloaders could take the initiative to do a match on their own.

R.W.Dale
August 23, 2008, 05:04 PM
An M-14 wouldn't qualify

By true milsurp I mean that each individual rifle MUST have been owned by a military at one time

taliv
August 23, 2008, 05:16 PM
holy crap. how did i miss this thread?? krochus, has this always been in the rifle forum? i read the rifle forum (as you all know) usually 5-10 times/day and i've never seen this thread. i would have participated for sure.

however, i can't between now and end of sept because i have matches or a carbine class scheduled nearly every weekend.

krochus, how come you didn't post a target?

grats, jerkface! heh (just remember, you came in dead last too! :P)

woof
August 23, 2008, 05:19 PM
I don't get the point. Obviously there is a very wide range of equipment eligible and a very wide range of shooter skill level. There are so many variables, what is being compared in the results? Is there a competition intent? In other words, why would I want to send in my 3 in group and say, look how bad I am, when my rifle and I never miss when we shoot at a deer?

NvTwist
August 23, 2008, 05:29 PM
The one time I did make it out to the desert the humidity level was 40% and it got way to hot, I didn't even break out the rifle and just did some Pistol and shot-gunning. Would have been a race of the Savage's, I've got a model 12FV in .223.

R.W.Dale
August 23, 2008, 06:16 PM
krochus, how come you didn't post a target?

I shot a couple groups but I didn't feel it was right for me to participate in my own match, If there had been a couple dozen participants I might have thrown my hat in the ring just for funzies but I wouldn't have counted myself towards the winning. For the milsurp match though I'll be all in

BTW My target was vutrually identical to Jerkface's

General Geoff
August 23, 2008, 07:21 PM
An M-14 wouldn't qualify

By true milsurp I mean that each individual rifle MUST have been owned by a military at one time

What if it's a real, select-fire, NFA weapon from the 1960s?

R.W.Dale
August 23, 2008, 07:27 PM
What if it's a real, select-fire, NFA weapon from the 1960s?

In that case not only it would it qualify but it would also quite heavily rock out in the process

General Geoff
August 23, 2008, 08:00 PM
Unfortunately I don't have one, so I'll have to enter with my M44 Mosin Nagant. :D

1858rem
January 15, 2009, 10:44 PM
is there another match coming up/going on? jus saw this thread and iv got a rem788 in .308 i have shot a few 1/4inch@100yd and 2"@330yd groups with(still working a load:neener:) an this sounds really fun, if not ill still post pics next shoot....gotta 204 ruger too but cant do better than half inch, only due to wind i think, vertical height is often 1/4-3/16"!

so whats up!?!:scrutiny:

1858rem
January 15, 2009, 10:47 PM
ooh, meebe put a thread on this in handloading too cause i think handloaders could do some super good shootin as well!

taliv
January 15, 2009, 10:56 PM
feel free to start a new thread for jan/feb, 1858

1858rem
January 15, 2009, 11:17 PM
sure thing, need to see what some 150g sst can do first, been using bulk packed 165g corelokt lol!

helz_mcfugly
March 2, 2009, 12:31 PM
March is here. you doin this again or what?

R.W.Dale
March 2, 2009, 01:02 PM

NO!

Why would I nobody participated in this one

1858rem
March 2, 2009, 03:12 PM

if you want to start one go ahead an ill enter with my .204 which is good for .9"to .25" often but not reliable(me i think), but for now i cant get better than 1"-.75" with my .308

1858rem
March 2, 2009, 03:15 PM
Each member is allowed to submit only ONE target for scoring. So pick your best shootin iron. You can shoot as many targets as you want but again only one will be submitted for scoring

can you update the target or only post one and thats it?

ole farmerbuck
December 4, 2010, 05:23 PM
Well R W, when's the next match now that i'm a member? jerkface might be gone on vacation!;)

JDMorris
December 4, 2010, 08:57 PM
Uhh, I have one at the top of the stickys?
do you not like the way I set it up, or didnt see it?

ole farmerbuck
December 4, 2010, 10:24 PM
Sorry. Didnt see it.

JDGray
December 4, 2010, 10:53 PM
Uhh, I have one at the top of the stickys?
do you not like the way I set it up, or didnt see it?

No offense, but I've never seen an accuracy contest where a guy can throw away 2 shots in the group. I enjoy shooting these matches no matter what the rules, and will continue playing by the rules, but all shots count in my book. Someone may not like your rules, and shoot another guys match, no sense in grilling people;)

JDMorris
December 4, 2010, 11:03 PM
he didnt see it, there was no grill, it was a question, and nowhere did I say you had to have the flyers. but there is no reason to get upset about it, some people appreciate it, especially when they know why the shot was off.

JDGray
December 4, 2010, 11:08 PM
No sweat JD, enjoy your match;)

JDMorris
December 4, 2010, 11:22 PM
you arent shooting anymore in it?
I didnt mean to jump you like that, I have seen the same thing about the flyers alot before so I ran short on you. my bad.

Robert Wilson
December 5, 2010, 12:05 AM
I'm waiting for a contest about true hunting accuracy. One group, three shots, 200 yards. Group to consist of the first shot out of a clean cold barrel, from an unsupported position. Only one shot may be fired into the group per day. No shots may be discounted for any reason. I'll enter that one...

highorder
December 5, 2010, 02:04 AM
I'm waiting for a contest about true hunting accuracy. One group, three shots, 200 yards. Group to consist of the first shot out of a clean cold barrel, from an unsupported position. Only one shot may be fired into the group per day. No shots may be discounted for any reason. I'll enter that one...

Hear hear. I'll shoot it with you.

If you enjoyed reading about "July 2008 THR bolt action Extreme Accuracy Challenge" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!