Weatherby 375 H & H Magnum - How bad did I miss out?

PDA

Old School
July 4, 2008, 06:10 PM
When my grandfather died, one of the things that he left behind was a Weatherby 375 H & H Magnum. When it came time to sort out his belongings, I requested that I be considered for any of his guns. Unfortunately my uncle called dibs on the Weatherby Rifle. I do not know to much about the rifle as I did not get a very good look at it. All I remember is that the rifle was origionally purchased for an African safari. In fact, I don't know if my grandfather or my great grandfather origionally purchased the rifle. I do know for sure that it was older than the 1980's because that is the first time that I saw the rifle. It was walnut in color bolt action with some glass on top.

The sad part is, the first thing my uncle did was liquidate it for cash. I don't know much about those big game type rifles. Did I miss out on something special?

If you enjoyed reading about "Weatherby 375 H & H Magnum - How bad did I miss out?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
eastwood44mag
July 4, 2008, 10:54 PM
Probably worth a grand or so, but hard to say for sure without seeing it.

24kshooter
July 5, 2008, 10:34 AM
You uncle seems like an unusually interesting specimen. The 375 H&H made by Weatherby was sold prior to the more powerful 378 Weatherby taking it's place. With some of the early Weatherby's in the more powerful calibers the wood may have been very very nice. In terms of money 1 to 1.5K - in terms of memories - priceless. Sorry.

22-rimfire
July 5, 2008, 11:40 AM
I think you missed out. There is more to it than just money. It is not an easy rifle to find in that caliber especially if you want a 375. The 378 Weatherby may be one of the best calibers ever developed if you believe Elmer Keith.

wheelgunslinger
July 5, 2008, 11:45 AM
Find it and buy it back.

Geno
July 5, 2008, 11:47 AM
Wow, well, it probably was not a .375 H&H. It was likely a .378 Wea. Mag, or a .375 Wea. Mag. Yes, .375 Wea. Mag, as in improved version of the H&H. Without the serial number it isn't possible to say for certain which it is. Either way, if it was a Mark V, it is a nice firearm. They last and last.

Doc2005

Old School
July 5, 2008, 12:25 PM
Unfortunately, I don't know anymore than I told you. I really don't have any idea how old it was either. I just know for a fact it was older than the 1980's for sure. Anybody know when Weatherby started making rifles in 375 h&h?

Jim Watson
July 5, 2008, 12:34 PM
Unless you were planning a hunt in Africa or maybe Alaska, don't get worked up over it. It is gone and that is that. Inheritances lead to more ill will and downright dishonesty than anything I know of for people without a jail record.

Weatherby only made rifles in .375 H&H for one year that I can find, 1992. Before 1980 I see mention only of .375 Weatherby and .378 Weatherby. The .375 Weatherby came out some time in the early 1950s, it is not in a 1951 Gun Digest but is in the 1957. By then they also had the .378 Weatheby and the .375 Weatherby was off the lists by 1963.

Special order? Maybe, but no way to show it without the gun in hand.

ElToro
July 5, 2008, 12:55 PM
defrock your uncle from the family.

thats something that kills me. a non gun person inherits a nice piece with sentimental value then burns it for rent money. at least offerit to other gun nuts within the family. god i hope that happens with my family guns.

anyway, cant say much about your G'pa gun but its a shame.

i passed on a early mauser action Weatherby with vintage glass in 300 weatherby. like a dope i had no use for it at the time. never seen one for sale .

Geno
July 5, 2008, 01:04 PM
If you are interested in a current Weatherby Mark V chambered in .375 H&H, Weatherby does still have some listed in the following models:

Fibermark Composite Link: http://weatherby.com/products/guns.asp?prd=Rifles&prd_sub_type=1&prod_code=FBM257WR6O

Synthetic Link: http://weatherby.com/products/guns.asp?prd=Rifles&prd_sub_type=1&prod_code=SNS222RR4O

Doc2005

Jim Watson
July 5, 2008, 01:06 PM
Um. So much for my out-of-date Blue Book

Geno
July 5, 2008, 01:11 PM
Jim:

I suspect that these are oooooold rifles, and simply have not yet all sold. I had the great fortune of locating a NIB, 1992 Mark V last year. I ended up paying $599.00 for it. :) It was just sitting there in the gun store for all these years.

I'd like to get my hands on a Mark V Deluxe in .375 H&H! Wow, can you imagine that?! :cool:

Doc2005

Gordon
July 5, 2008, 03:00 PM
I have a Mauser actioned .375 Weatherby Magnum that Weatherby made in 1856. I also have a Shultz and Larsen actioned .378 Weatherby that they made in 1960 or so. I think the MK V action .378 was released in 1963. You could still get a .375 Weatherby for a while also in the MK V, but they are not common. Once you fire a .378 you won't be firing it alot!

wheelgunslinger
July 5, 2008, 03:05 PM
I'd like to get my hands on a Mark V Deluxe in .375 H&H! Wow, can you imagine that?!
Yes, but I have to close my eyes and draw the blinds.
That's a collision of two great things. Like the reese's peanut butter cup of rifles.

publiuss
July 5, 2008, 03:43 PM
Too bad that was a nice rifle. I don't like ANY of my Uncles.

Old School
July 5, 2008, 03:49 PM
Inheritances lead to more ill will and downright dishonesty than anything I know of for people without a jail record.

That is an absolute fact. I have seen it first hand. Seems like people lose thier mind over stuff like that. I don't feel any ill will whatsoever. I just feel like it was a shame. Their is far more interesting and rare legacy items still floating around the family though. Maybe next time I visit those relatives I will photograph them and share the photos with everyone.

hunter3705
August 17, 2008, 09:24 AM
I actually was just recently fortunate to acquire a used mark V in .375 H&H, I haven't even fired it yet. I'm still waiting for the scope/mount/rings I ordered to come in. It's American made (Saco Defense in Maine - I think because of the SB serial no. prefix), appears to have a factory "Sporter" stock and recoil pad. 24 inch barrel, sort of a matte finish. At some point I'm going to spend the fifty bucks and get a factory history on the rifle, but the consensus on the Weatherby forum is that it's a 2001 model. I thought - like you - that it was particularly interesting in this caliber. I have also seen the "circling sharks" effect when someone dies in the family, it's not a pretty sight. Some people get sort of taken over by greed. I'd contact your Uncle and see if I could buy/trade the rifle back.

Reid73
November 6, 2008, 05:27 PM
I'd contact your Uncle and see if I could buy/trade the rifle back.Good thinking, but unfortunately his original post said that the uncle immediately sold it to a third party. Perhaps it might be worth tracking down the purchaser, assuming that the uncle sold to a specific individual and not to a pawn store etc.

Old School, sounds like you have the right attitude. Sure, it's a nice rifle, but at the end of the day it is just a fungible object. Not worth losing sleep over; life is too short.

If you are interested in a current Weatherby Mark V chambered in .375 H&H, Weatherby does still have some listed in the following models: Fibermark; SyntheticThey also currently make the (special-order) "Mark V Safari" in .375H&H; see Custom Shop (http://www.399weatherby.com/_pdf/2008_Custom_Shop.pdf).

If you enjoyed reading about "Weatherby 375 H & H Magnum - How bad did I miss out?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!