Is the .41 Magnum fading away?

PDA

gizamo
July 4, 2008, 08:10 PM
Love my .44 Magnums, but I've come to think the .41 Mag is the better cartridge. And yet, slowly ~ year by year it seems to be fading away.....

What is the future of this wonderful cartridge? Will it end up being a cult cartridge, or will it ever become embraced by the gun writers and general shooting public again?

Giz

If you enjoyed reading about "Is the .41 Magnum fading away?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Reddbecca
July 4, 2008, 08:12 PM
The .41 Magnum has always been a cult cartridge. Despite my love for the oddball and my desire to get one for myself, there's just not all that much call for it.

Old Fuff
July 4, 2008, 08:17 PM
Well for some time the handgun market has been shifting toward automatic pistols, and I think this trend will continue. The great majority of revolvers now being sold are .38 Special and .357 Magnum snubbies.

.41 Magnum fans (including the Old Fuff) tend to be loyal, but not very numerous. But as long as cartridges such as .32-20 and .38 S&W are still being made I don't think the .41 Magnum will go away.

Leanwolf
July 4, 2008, 08:19 PM
Double post.

Leanwolf
July 4, 2008, 08:23 PM
Fading away?

Not in my house. S&W 57 .41 Mag. Ruger Blackhawk .41 Mag. Marlin 1894S .41 Mag.
(I also have .45 Colts and .44 Magnums, but prefer the .41 Mag.) ;)

There are quite a few .41 Magnum owners in these parts. There are numerous gun shows in Idaho, and a good .41 Magnum on the table tends to be snapped up pretty quickly.

L.W.

1911Tuner
July 4, 2008, 08:33 PM
I like the .41 Magnum a lot. IMO, it's a better general-purpose revolver cartridge than the .44 or the .357, and if Smith & Wesson would just introduce a 5-shot L-Frame in .41 Magnum...3-inch round butt and 4-inch square...with fixed sights and the firing pin moved back to the hammer where it should be...I'd have at least one of each. Ditto for a 4 and 3/4-inch Ruger Vaquero...especially if somebody would ante up with a Trapper-length levergun.

.cheese.
July 4, 2008, 08:39 PM
Wasn't there just an article in Guns And Ammo or one of the gun rags about dying cartridges, and the .41 magnum was listed?

JesseL
July 4, 2008, 08:54 PM
I love my Blackhawk in .41 Magnum. I bought it just a couple years ago because I felt it struck a better balance than the .357 or .44 for what I wanted in a woods gun. No brown bears around here to worry about, but I still might want to try handgun hunting for deer.

Reddbecca
July 4, 2008, 08:56 PM
Wasn't there just an article in Guns And Ammo or one of the gun rags about dying cartridges, and the .41 magnum was listed?

Yes there was. I believe it was entitled "cleaning house" and on the list of cartridges that're dying out or should be left to die, amongst others, was the .45 Colt as well. They said that since the .454 Casull existed then there was no longer a need for the .45 Colt since there aren't enough modern guns chambered for higher pressure loads.

Old Fuff
July 4, 2008, 09:01 PM
Ammunition makers, big and small, look at the number of guns chambered for certain cartridges that are out there, not necessarily how many are being made now.

Magazine writers on the other hand.... :banghead:

Bob R
July 4, 2008, 09:05 PM
Quote:

Yes there was. I believe it was entitled "cleaning house" and on the list of cartridges that're dying out or should be left to die, amongst others, was the .45 Colt as well.

Oh man, I am hosed. :rolleyes: I don't even have a .44 (mag or special) but I do have a few .41mags and a couple of .45 Colts. I guess I had better stockpiling ammo! :uhoh:

Nah, I don't think so, I think the .41mag is just as popular today as it was when the guns were being made for it. If you don't believe me, see how long they last on the for sale forums of different boards. :)

bob

gizamo
July 4, 2008, 09:09 PM
I could never figure out all the hoopla about the ballistic coeficients....

I must have a issue with math....so anyone step in and fix the mess I am about to create....

Isn't the 44 something like.429 not a true .44....

And .41 is something like .411....

So is the difference really .018????????:uhoh:

Giz

MCgunner
July 4, 2008, 09:20 PM
Well, I'll join the .41 club someday. I've always admired the caliber, can do anything a .44 can do and in a smaller, slightly, case. I really like it, though, because few others seem to. I gravitated to the .45 Colt vs .44 mag for the same reason. Dumb, I guess. The .44 mag is a great cartridge.

Far as everyone going auto pistol, revolvers are still more accurate and more powerful in the field. I don't think the auto pistols will take over handgun hunting or for general outdoor carry. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but the good ol' SA revolver in powerful magnum calibers, let alone DA designs, just seem far more appropriate than auto pistols for outdoor uses. Super strong, super accurate, and super powerful.

Confederate
July 4, 2008, 09:22 PM
Well, there's not a whole lot of difference between the .41 and the .44 mag. The .357 mag is a better manstopper and the .44 mag is marginally better for game. The only real advantage is if you have a Smith & Wesson .41. The gun will handle higher pressure loads longer than a 29/629; still, given the .44 mag's popularity, ammo is much more readily available in that caliber.

Many people bought the .41 because the .44 mags were hard to get and more in demand.

JesseL
July 4, 2008, 09:22 PM
Nah, I don't think so, I think the .41mag is just as popular today as it was when the guns were being made for it. If you don't believe me, see how long they last on the for sale forums of different boards.

Don't forget that Ruger and Taurus are still building new .41 Magnums.

Reddbecca
July 4, 2008, 09:23 PM
What would you guys recommend in the way of a .41 Blackhawk, one with the long barrel or the short barrel?

I've got a .357 NM Blackhawk with the 6.5" barrel, and it's my opinion that the longer barrel helps tame recoil and improves accuracy. Should I get the same configuration in .41 Magnum or get the short barrel for a change?

.38 Special
July 4, 2008, 09:25 PM
G&A has been running those "Hot and Not" articles periodically for decades. I have one from '83 or '84 claiming that the .41 Magnum was on its way out.

I try to give the gun rags a break, as it's probably pretty tough to continually come up with new ideas for articles.

I view the .41 Magnum as I do the .44 Special: a very good cartridge with a special niche that, while not seen by everybody, is seen by enough that it will keep rolling along.

JesseL
July 4, 2008, 09:33 PM
What would you guys recommend in the way of a .41 Blackhawk, one with the long barrel or the short barrel?

I like the 4-5/8". It packs and points easier without giving up too much velocity.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m5/J_M_Lambert/Guns/100_2089.jpg

ArmedBear
July 4, 2008, 10:10 PM
I'd get the 6 1/2", myself, unless I wanted a compact gun. 6 1/2" IS a short barrel, compared to my 10 1/2" SBH...:)

I have a .357 Colt clone in 4 5/8", and while it draws quickly, it doesn't point like a somewhat longer gun does. I like it, but with the balance point farther back, I don't get the same feel for where it's pointed with the short barrel as I do with a longer one. I have to use my eyes more with the shorter barrel, and my eyes have never been the best things anyone's ever used to see with.

But then I tend to like longer barrels. Learned to shoot with black powder.:)

BTW if Ruger made a stainless BH in .41, I'd really, really want one. Hey Ruger...

gizamo
July 4, 2008, 10:23 PM
Course there are the older S&W's that pair up nicely with a Marlin....

These two won't fade away for a good long time:)

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/Gizamo1/41s005.jpg

Giz

whatbrick
July 4, 2008, 10:27 PM
I've posted this pic before, but here's my baby:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/88/260112874_60a98f9964.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatbrick/260112874/)

I like the .41 Magnum, though this is the only firearm that I have that's chambered for it. Wish I had the funds to go looking for more.

45crittergitter
July 4, 2008, 10:40 PM
The .357 mag is a better manstopper...

Not hardly. :scrutiny:

Old School
July 4, 2008, 11:12 PM
My father had a Dan Wesson chambered in 41 mag in the 80's. I remember hearing: it will never catch on, it didn't catch on, it's fading away ever since.

Oddly enough, I see that you can still buy new revolvers in that caliber from the major manufacturers. It seem that the 41 is a victim of the 44. When you are talking about big thumpin revolvers, I would speculate that people say well 44 is more than 41 and more is better. Fair or not, that is probably the case.

.41Dave
July 5, 2008, 01:21 AM
People have been predicting the imminent demise of the .41 Magnum for at least 25 years now. Fact is, there is a wider variety of factory ammo and reloading components for the .41 than ever before. It will be around long after we are all gone.

.Some .41 Magnum goodness...

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii120/dhultsch/is_00034-1.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii120/dhultsch/is_00346-1.jpg

Matt-J2
July 5, 2008, 01:41 AM
I have an interest in the cartridge, but honestly know very, very little about it. So if you .41mag fans could steer me to some good material, it'd be appreciated. :)

Walkalong
July 5, 2008, 09:49 AM
They will be debating that when we are gone. It will still be hanging in there.

22-rimfire
July 5, 2008, 09:57 AM
The 41 magnum is more popular than ever. It will be around for a long time.

Those that shoot it often like it more than a 44 magnum revolver. I know that I shoot it better than a 44. So, the 44's are gone from my inventory.

Old School
July 5, 2008, 10:24 AM
My father had told me that the 41 had some ballistic advantages and that it was more accurate than the 44 but I can't speak to that. I can tell you that I shot a dog/wolf mutt that was attacking one of our horses with his dan wesson loaded with semi-wad cutters and it was one shot effective and left a very shocking exit wound on the dogs neck.

Virginian
July 5, 2008, 10:26 AM
I can relate to the 41 fans plight, being a 44 Spl. fan myself, but I think it has long since peaked, and it was more of a foothill than a peak to begin with. The early loads contributed to ambiguity, and it is sandwiched between the two most popular handgun chamberings, both of which offer the huge advantage of being able to handle two different cartridges, each.
The 41 does exactly what one would expect looking at the specs. It's bigger than the 357, so it kicks more, and you can't shoot 41 Specials in it. It's smaller than the 44, so less whomp, and "Wow" factor, and less recoil, but hey, they still have the 44 Spl.
If you like it enjoy it, but don't expect the bandwagon to get too crowded.

1911Tuner
July 5, 2008, 10:37 AM
My father had told me that the 41 had some ballistic advantages and that it was more accurate than the 44 but I can't speak to that.

I won't say that the .41 is an inherently more accurate cartridge than the .44, but I can attest to the fact that it's easier find an accurate handload for it. Over the years, I've handloaded extensively for both cartridges, and...having been thoroughly hooked on metallic silhouette for about a decade...I can qualify that statement.

The advantage that the .44 has is, of course, owing to the ability to use heavier bullets while keeping the trajectories suitably flat for the steel critters. Ya gotta hit those rams high and hard with a .41 in order to to clean the rack. The .44 is a bit more forgiving.

Blacksmoke
July 5, 2008, 10:59 AM
Does anyone recall when the .41 Magnum was the official sidearm caliber of the San Francisco Police Department's uniform officers?

That was the early 1970s.

1911Tuner
July 5, 2008, 11:10 AM
Does anyone recall when the .41 Magnum was the official sidearm caliber of the San Francisco Police Department's uniform officers?

Yep...Model 58 Smith & Wessons...and also for San Antonio, Texas. There were 2 or 3 others that issued it...but I can't recall which ones.

I've got an early M-58 and won't part with it for love nor money.

Blacksmoke
July 5, 2008, 07:04 PM
Yep...Model 58 Smith & Wessons...and also for San Antonio, Texas. There were 2 or 3 others that issued it...but I can't recall which ones.
-1911 Tuner

Thanks. I could not remember the model number and wondered about that. Also back then, Cops in S.F. were mostly big Irish American guys, a few large Blackmen and a beefy Chicano or two .The point is the Model 58 was not too much gun for them to heft. Nowadays, the dainty wrist factor keeps that kind of ordinance out of service.

19-3Ben
July 5, 2008, 07:13 PM
I've always thought the Ruger Redhawk would make an awfully nice .41 mag.

I'd kinda like to see that happen. I'd bet if they sold a 4" fixed sight and 5.5" adjustable sight model, they'd sell. Of course, the .41mag market is pretty small.

Gator
July 5, 2008, 07:17 PM
Ruger Redhawk would make an awfully nice .41 mag.

It does! Now if I could just convince my buddy to sell me his 5.5"....:)

1911Tuner
July 5, 2008, 07:27 PM
Thanks. I could not remember the model number and wondered about that.

Here's an article and a few pictures of the 58. The author makes a little mistake when the states that it's actually a .40 caliber. The .41 Magnum is a true .41 caliber...unlike the .44 which is actually a .43 caliber bullet.

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/classics/sw58_061507/index.html

ACP230
July 5, 2008, 07:27 PM
I have two Redhawks in .41.
One is a seven-inch stainless gun.
The other is a five and a half inch blued gun.
Good shooters.

kentucky bucky
July 5, 2008, 08:36 PM
Not fading in my house!!

1911Tuner
July 5, 2008, 09:16 PM
After all is said and done...the .41 Remington Magnum cartridge has a relatively small, but intensely faithful following. Those who like it...like it a lot.

It's held on since 1964...and that in itself says something. Cartridges that don't have something going for them generally don't last nearly a half-century. Even many of the ones that do...fade pretty fast.

The .41 had two tough acts to follow in the .357 and the .44 and it didn't have a successful parent cartridge that got a toe-hold like the .38 and the .44 Special did...so it was running a race with a sprained ankle.

But, yet...it hangs on. It's still there, begging us to just take a look.
"Try me! You might like me!"

I very much like the .41 Magnum. It'll always have a place in my battery.

gizamo
July 5, 2008, 09:48 PM
The reason I originally posted this was because I am a die-hard caster and reloader. This is one of those cartridges that shines ~ when one rolls there own:) I have a few .44 Mag loads that I use for 100 yard gongs, steel plates, or hunting...worked on them for years.

But ~ the .41's that I have owned have almost always outperformed the .44 Mags. Anecdotal evidence, but I believe there are more then a few that would concur.

This thread has me thinking it is time to buy a few more .41's and to heck with the naysayers~~~~

Guess us Grizzley Ole Fart's need to hang onto somethin':D

Giz

publiuss
July 5, 2008, 10:30 PM
.41Dave that S&W is absolutely beautiful. I bought a M58 when I was much younger and it had worn blueing. I foolishly had it teflon coated instead of sending it to S&W to be reblued. Oh well, I still have it and someday I'll get around to sending it to S&W. I love the .41 and if it's falling out of favor I suggest everyone with one contact me and I'll give you 50cents on the dollar for that obsolete thing.

22-rimfire
July 5, 2008, 10:31 PM
Gun folks talk about how the 44 magnum was so popular when it was introduced in 1956. I recall reading that it was such a powerful cartridge that the gun writers of the day almost encouraged folks not to buy guns in it. It wasn't until the Dirty Harry movie came out in 1971 that the caliber was such a big success. Dirty Harry didn't even shoot full power loads. It was at that point the sales skyrocketed and the guns were hard to find. However, even then the public was not ready for the 44 magnum; so many handguns were bought and shot a few times and sold due to recoil issues.

Why is this important?

The 41 magnum was introduced in 1964. Basically the problem was that the 357 over penetrated with police use and police generally could not handle the recoil of the big 44 magnum.

A one shot man stopper was wanted of a larger caliber than the 357 and not as powerful as the 44 magnum. Hence the 41 magnum came into being with the encouragement of Elmer Keith and several other gun writers. The 41 magnum did what its designers wanted it to accomplish.

The problem was that the 41 magnum was brought out in the N Frame Smith (same size as 44 magnum) which was too large for most police officers to carry. Also the ammunition manufacturers in their wisdom brought out the 41 magnum with a hot load first rather than the lighter recoiling wadcutter load that was advocated by Elmer Keith and others. There should have been two calibers; the 41 special and the 41 magnum.

Then Dirty Harry came along.... the caliber was relegated to second class status as compared to the "It'll blow your head clean off" 44 magnum.

All this is doesn't matter much as semi-auto pistols became more popular for police use. The change over happened quickly after the Glock 17 (9mm) was introduced in 1980 (I believe). By the mid to late 1980's, you could buy N frame revolvers for a song at gunshows. Revolvers weren't selling and pistols were. The introduction of the 40 S&W was probably closer to what Elmer Keith wanted in terms of preformance in the 41 magnum. There won't be any 40 Magnum loads unless you consider the 10mm the "magnum" load.

Bullet Bob
July 5, 2008, 10:50 PM
It's been dying for over 30 years now :)

I like my model 58 a lot; have heard it described as a "model 10 on steroids", which seems about right. Here it is with a box of the original "police loads", which are sort of like a .41 Special, compared to the full-house magnum loads.

http://fototime.com/B6AD5860D0A71BF/standard.jpg

Reddbecca
July 5, 2008, 11:36 PM
What we need is a movie where one of the main characters uses a revolver chambered in the .41 Magnum and praises it in a convincing manner. That might boost sales.

slabuda
July 6, 2008, 12:18 AM
There are quite a few .41 Magnum owners in these parts. There are numerous gun shows in Idaho, and a good .41 Magnum on the table tends to be snapped up pretty quickly.

Well next gun show in Boise I hope to be someone that snaps one up. Im looking for a mountain gun, wanting more than a .357 and dont think I need as big as a .44.

freakshow10mm
July 6, 2008, 12:26 AM
I'm getting into the 41 Mag right now. I'd like a BH 4 5/8" in the 41 Mag and maybe a GP100 conversion (Gemini does these). Hell, any 4 inch 41 Mag DA is good with me.

Ala Dan
July 6, 2008, 12:28 AM
No, I don't think that the .41 magnums are dead; or will ever die for that
matter. :scrutiny: :D

bestseller92
July 6, 2008, 12:32 AM
The .41 Mag. has been fading away for 40 years now.

I suspect it'll fade away for a hundred more, at least.

Jenrick
July 6, 2008, 04:17 AM
See it's threads like this that get me in trouble with the wife.

How does the recoil of the .41 mag in the police loadings compare to modern .357 duty rounds in a large frame revolver? I'm not particularly recoil sensitive, but shooting .357 duty rounds in a J frame is about the limit to how much fun I'm willing to have.

-Jenrick

1911Tuner
July 6, 2008, 06:32 AM
How does the recoil of the .41 mag in the police loadings compare to modern .357 duty rounds in a large frame revolver?

With the 210 LSWC at 975 fps in the N-Frame...felt recoil is roughly the same as the .357/158/1235 fps (advertised) in a 4-inch L-frame.
The .357's muzzle blast makes it seem a little worse than the .41's, but it's pretty close to equivalent.

I've chronographed some of the .41 "Police" loadings from Remington and Winchester...and most runs to about 900-925 fps...not the advertised 975.

You can duplicate the police load with a 210-215 grain cast SWC and 8 grains of Unique. Velocity is in the 1,000 fps range in my M58.

Bob! If ya ever decide to part with that old, obsolete revolver in that dyin' caliber... :D

nerfsrule2
July 6, 2008, 08:22 AM
It won't die out around my house.. I have two S&W 's chambered in 41 Mag. Both are Nickel, One in 6 " and the other 8 3/8 target.. Great to load for and even better to shoot !!!

tmutant
July 6, 2008, 04:59 PM
Didn't Taurus come out with a 5-shot Tracker in .41 Magnum recently?

Matt-J2
July 6, 2008, 05:11 PM
Yes, at least a few years ago now. They even had a 2" barrel version, now discontinued. The 4" stainless version is currently available with an Ulralight version available 3rd quarter this year, according to the website.

grendelbane
July 6, 2008, 05:12 PM
I definitely love my model 58. Mine is a tad bit slower than Tuner's, as 8 grains of Unique over a cast bullet gets about 970 FPS. Still plenty good!:)

I do wish that there was a good medium power level cartridge for the .41, though. About 200 grains in the high 900s with an appropriate hollow point would be wonderful! Remington makes a 200 grain JHP, and it is wonderfully accurate, and expands quite well when pushed super-sonic, but it is not going to open much below 1000 FPS.

The cartridge was designed to be a good stopper back before hollow points became popular. Though lots of good hunting ammunition is available, there is not much in the way of a decent cartridge for defense. You young whippersnappers may not realize it, but there was a time when lots of people frowned on hollow point bullets.

I recently found 2 boxes of Winchester 210 grain lead SWC's at a gun show. I will re-create the old load with these.

1911Tuner
July 6, 2008, 05:30 PM
I do wish that there was a good medium power level cartridge for the .41, though.

Try the 175-grain Silvertip. I guess it's still available. I've got 60 rounds of it left. Mild and easy on the gun and shooter. Opens up to the size of a nickel in ballistic gelatin and penetrates deep.

454c
July 6, 2008, 05:46 PM
The intoduction of a 41 special would help the 41 mag. survival. Way overdue.

1911Tuner
July 6, 2008, 05:47 PM
Didn't Taurus come out with a 5-shot Tracker in .41 Magnum recently?

Never could figure why a company would market a gun aimed at the outdoorsman and insinuate suitable for rough service...with a macho name like "Tracker" or "Mountain Gun"...and put adjustable target sights on it.

jdh
July 6, 2008, 05:57 PM
The Silvertips are still available, just bought a box. They are what I carried for duty ammo in a previous life. Good performance mild recoil.

Making your own 41 special is easy if you reload:
Brass
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=559371

Load data
http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt41spec.htm

454c
July 6, 2008, 06:09 PM
True but how many shooters reload?

The reputation of being a "reloaders cartridge" is part of the 41 mags downfall.

22-rimfire
July 6, 2008, 06:26 PM
I agree with that statement. If you are considering buying a 41 or 44 and you aren't going to reload, which do you choose? I have read this repeatedly on threads on THR.

CSA 357
July 6, 2008, 06:40 PM
There Is Nothing Wrong With The 41, I Like It But I Have A Few 44 Cal Guns And Why Have To Get Brass And Cast Bullets ? I Will Stick With 44 Mag And 44 Spec. Csa

grendelbane
July 6, 2008, 06:45 PM
Well, at least this discussion has motivated me to photograph my 58. Shame it is such a sunny day. I take much better pics on overcast days.

I have fired the Silvertip, it is a good load. I am just being picky in wanting something a little heavier and slower. I do not understand why the ammo makers keep introducing new hunting loads, when there is a definite shortage of SD loads.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm90/grendelbane6/model58.jpg

S&W should introduce a model 658.

JesseL
July 6, 2008, 07:00 PM
True but how many shooters reload?

The reputation of being a "reloaders cartridge" is part of the 41 mags downfall.

As the proud owner of a 6mm Remington rifle, 6.5x55mm Swede Rifle, .308 Norma Magnum Rifle, and .41 Magnum Revolver; this comment amuses me.:D

frankt
July 6, 2008, 08:16 PM
I am a fan of the .41 Magnum also. I bought a 4 5/8" Blackhawk in 1969 and I still have it and enjoy it. I have taken several deer with it and I think the 4 5/8" and open sights is a perfect woods carry, close in hunting weapon.

My Brother-in-Law was an old Sheriff and he carried a Nickled S&W 58 with Super Vels and he fueled my fire also.

Several years ago my grown Stepsons gave me a Redhawk, stainless 7.5" with a Pentax scope. They said it was for all the grief they gave me getting them raised:eek:. I like it a lot and it is one of my primary hunting weapons.

I would love to have a 4" S&W 57 or 58 but apparently a lot of folks like those and the prices stay out of my reach.

I do think you need to be a reloader to really enjoy the .41 plus it lets you be able to afford to shoot it a lot which is the real plus.

freakshow10mm
July 6, 2008, 09:46 PM
454c, a lot more shooters reload due to ammo prices.

454c
July 6, 2008, 11:29 PM
I have no doubt that the higher ammo prices have more people looking into and starting reloading. Even at that, I still see more factory fodder burned than handloads.

freakshow10mm
July 6, 2008, 11:33 PM
I haven't seen factory ammo at the range in two years.

And the 41 Special is a wildcat that's been around. No SAAMI headstamp, pressure, etc is available. COTW has info on it.

22-rimfire
July 6, 2008, 11:41 PM
Honestly, I rarely see handgun ammo that are handloads at the range.

FEG
July 6, 2008, 11:47 PM
I doubt this has affected its mainstream popularity or lack thereof, but I used to want a .41 Magnum. (I reload). Now, I have a S&W 610, and I doubt that I will ever get that .41 Magnum. For me, it would be another cartridge to invest in (dies and components) while prices are so steep.

Like I said, I doubt this is much of a factor, if any, but it can't help that 10mm is pretty similar.

grendelbane
July 6, 2008, 11:58 PM
There really doesn't need to be a .41 Special. Just .41 Spl level loads in .41 magnum brass. 6.3 grains of 231 behind the ubiquitous 215 grain SWC clocks in at a little under 800 FPS in my 58. Both accurate, and pleasant to shoot.

Now I understand some ranges do not permit magnum ammunition. Fine, conventional .41 cases could be produced with a .41 Special headstamp.

Personally, if I were going to go to the trouble of trimming magnum cases, I would skip the .41 Special, and go straight to the .41 Russian.:what:

Think about it. If all of the special brass in the world were to disappear, would you trim your magnum brass down, or just load it like it is, with an appropriate special level powder charge?

jdh
July 7, 2008, 12:12 AM
The new COP of the department, who came in after I had been carrying a 41 for about a year and a half, was a magno-phobic. Since there was no ammunition with 41 SPC head stamp he decreed the 41 not suitable for duty carry. Thus ended my carrying a revolver. I would have been most happy to see 41 SPC brass all those many years ago.

So I would be one to say there is (was) a valid reason for the existence of 41 Special.

ArmedBear
July 7, 2008, 12:22 AM
.454, .460 and .500 are getting a lot of attention, especially the overkill S&W revolvers.

This will fade -- not the calibers, but the whiz-bang factor -- and eventually the .41 will garner more interest again, I think, but not as a defensive or LE round.

What I like about it is that it will fit well in a smaller package than the .44, but offers similar performace at least until you get into the specialty super-hot heavy-bullet .44 loads. With 6 rounds or more, revolvers get bulky fast, as you increase case and bullet diameters, especially when you're talking about hunting magnum guns that have plenty of steel -- SAA .45's are pretty compact for the round they shoot, but they have no extra steel and aren't a good choice for really hot loads. .41 fits well into a Blackhawk (not Super).

That said, I have a .357 revolver (SAA clone) and a .44 revolver (SBH) and no .41's at present. The .357 and .44 were both readily available and at good prices.

JesseL
July 7, 2008, 12:35 AM
For anyone interested GalleryOfGuns.com has a new 4-5/8" Blackhawk in stock (http://www.galleryofguns.com/Genie/default.aspx?pg=list&mfg=All&mdl=All&cat=All&type=Revolver&cal=41M&fin=All&sit=Adjustable) which I got quoted as low as $387.99.

Matt-J2
July 7, 2008, 01:23 AM
I wish there were more current production choices in .41mag. I'd love me a Taurus Tracker, they handle so well for me, but I can't hunt here with a 4" barrel. Looks like I'm limited to a 6.5" Blackhawk or a Taurus Raging Bull in 6" or 8". I think the Raging Bull is a little hefty, so I'm more or less limited to the Blackhawk. Which is fine, no complaints about Blackhawks from me, I'd just complain less if I had more options to reject. :P

Ben Shepherd
July 7, 2008, 09:21 AM
Yeah a 5 shot 3" fixed sight DA revolver in 41 mag would sell like hotcakes I think.

As for it dying out? Not in the near future anyway. The local sportsmans wharehouse has actually added options in 41 mag ammo in the last six months.

Currently I've got 3 redhawks, one blackhawk, and a marlin levergun in 41 mag. If I ran into more of any of the above, I'd pick them up if funds allowed it.

22-rimfire
July 7, 2008, 09:38 AM
I'd buy a 3" or 4" steel framed (smaller than N frame) Smith in 41 magnum with a 5-shot cylinder. It would make an excellent woods gun or self defense piece.

I also think there is a place for a 41 special. Manufactures are limited to the maximum pressures of the 41 magnum in building a revolver. A 41 special would solve that problem. But it would probably be priced about the same as the magnum loads since demand would be less just like the 44 Special factory ammo. Loading costs are not just component cost, there are volume considerations.

I need to find a Marlin 1894 in 41 mag since they aren't cataloged anymore. I put off buying one and now they stopped production. My 41 mag accumulation is dominated by Model 57's. I have one each of the Blackhawk and Redhawk in 41 mag. I think it may be time for another ammo order from GA Arms.

Matt-J2
July 7, 2008, 05:28 PM
Talked to a few folks today whose opinions I trust, and I decided I need to join the .41mag club soon and keep it from fading away. :D

Also today I learned that the WI DNR 5.5" barrel length requirement is measured from muzzle to firing pin with the action closed. This probably doesn't surprise man but I had thought it was just barrel length, not counting chamber and such. Hooray for learning, even if it means I failed to read the regs correctly the first time and looked a bit dumb!

bigmike45
July 7, 2008, 05:49 PM
Man.....talk about a warm & fuzzy feeling. That is what this thread does for me. It's nice to know I am not the only 41mag lover in these parts. Prior to my first 41mag I had 44 mags, 45LC & 45ACP, several .357mags then I shot my first 41mag and went to the gunstore the next day and bought my first, a stainless 7.5" Redhawk and started using it for hunting Texas Whitetails and Mule Deer, and I even took a nice Fallow Deer. I always wanted the 5.5" version of that gun and about 8 years ago found my first one. 3 years ago I found another 5.5" and decided to buy it to customize. I shortened the barrel to 4" and recrowned it, added a new front sight, worked over the trigger group components and dehorned the gun. Lastly I bead blasted the gun and now carry it as a field gun whenever I an in the woods or at my ranch. The 41mag will always be a part of my revolver arsenal. Here are my three kings:
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/mike_seale/ThreeKings1.jpg

D.A.C.
July 7, 2008, 06:47 PM
Heck, I traded a well-used Glock 17 that I'd given $300, +$50 for a near mint S&W 657-3 with Eagle grips last year. I have the S&W, a NM Ruger custom Blackhawk, and a Marlin 1894 all in .41 mag.

22-rimfire
July 7, 2008, 08:49 PM
MattJ-2; you won't regret buying and shooting a good 41 mag revolver. I really like them. The 41 mag occupies the highest number of firearms in a single caliber after my 22's. I definitely want a 1894 in 41 mag. I'll settle for one in 357 only out of convenience, but would prefer 41 mag. This year so far has been a 22rf year for me so far. Been buying rifles.

Bush Pilot
July 8, 2008, 01:12 AM
I picked up my 5th Marlin in .41 mag just last Thursday (July 3rd), it was advertised in one of those pulp magazines you get at the grocery store. Funny thing, this is the second one I've purchased through this rag and I've NEVER seen one at a gunshow or gunshop. When I met the seller after work he said he'd only had one other call all day after my call that morning.

Ben Shepherd
July 11, 2008, 01:29 AM
Bush Pilot, you are officially a schmuck!! I had to hunt for three years to get my marlin in 41 mag! And there you go, just "happening" into ANOTHER one? You suck!;)

jaholder1971
July 11, 2008, 01:54 AM
Don't own one, no dog in the fight but...

The gunrag writers have been declaring the .41 DOA for 30 years now and yet it's still here.Either these guys don't know what they're writing about or else some reverse psychology going on.

2ndamd
July 13, 2008, 02:36 AM
I just read an article from G&A October 1993 issue (15 years ago). And they were discussing the ".41 The magnum that will not go away."

Actually a good read. I do not see myself owning one but can appreciate the performance offered by the .41.

buttrap
July 13, 2008, 03:48 AM
No the .41 is not dead

Frizzman
July 14, 2008, 11:43 AM
No caliber is dead as long as there are some of us who like it and are willing to reload for it. I have a .38-40 or .38WCF and I like it. It is essentially an old revolver cartridge version of the .40 S&W. When I got my first .38-40 in the 1990's, it was in a new Colt SAA. Ammo was just about impossible to get and very expensive.and loading components , particularly brass, were expensive and somewhat hard to get.

Then the Cowboy Action game resurrected the old .38-40 and it is now not so dead. You never know what will be rediscovered and become fashionable again! The .41 will only "die" if people don't care enough about it to keep it alive. That doesn't seem likely anytime soon...

RonC133
July 14, 2008, 09:01 PM
I recently acquired a used Taurus Tracker with 4" barrel. I would rather have had a Smith or Ruger but they are way too rich for my blood nowadays.

Had I checked the price of 41 Mag ammo, I might have had second thoughts. I found a box of UMC 50s for $70 at Gander Mountain. (I passed.)

I had bought another reloader's kit and already had the 41 dies. I have had a hard time getting what I thought should be magnum velocities out of it but after disassembling Federal factory, I am comfortable with 21 gr of H110 behind a 210 gr sjfp for a max load.

Funny how each caliber has its own distinctive recoil pattern. 357 has hard kick and a fireball, 41 and 44 are also distinctive. And 45 ACP just shoves and twists as it rises. Love the feel.

slabuda
July 14, 2008, 09:24 PM
I recently acquired a used Taurus Tracker with 4" barrel.

This is what I am looking for as I cant afford a S&W price right now. What didi you pay if you dont mind?

And to all that shoot, I dont reload so what would I expect to pay to feed it?

RonC133
July 14, 2008, 09:41 PM
Slabuda: I got it for a little less than $400.

I can reload for about the same price as 44 Mag, about $25-30 per hundred.

I have found older ammo, PMC and Federal, for $20/box of 50 up to $18/box of 20 (PowrShok.) I was told the current wholesale price for a Remington box of 50 was over $45.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is the .41 Magnum fading away?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!