It's here! My Remington 81 has been delivered!

PDA

Mike Irwin
August 26, 2003, 05:25 PM
Just got the confirmation from the UPS tracking site!

Now the shop has to log it through and I can pick it up!

This is so cool!

Edit -- Just got the call that it's ready to be picked up. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "It's here! My Remington 81 has been delivered!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cdbeaver
August 26, 2003, 05:32 PM
Good for you.

Now, see . . . UPS isn't so bad at that. They really can deliver on occasion.

What's next? Going to shoot it, stick it w-a-a-y back in the gun safe, or stay up all night and admire it?

Have fun with it.

Hand_Rifle_Guy
August 26, 2003, 06:40 PM
So, how long do we have to wait for pics, hmmmm?

M-81's are under-rated, under-priced, and overlooked. Two is not enough, gonna go get more, me. Next I want a .25, to put next to my as-yet-unacquired Savage 99 in .250-3000.

Mike, you realize this means you'll have to get one in .35 Remington, don't you? You might as well get used to the idea now. Helpfully, it'll be cheap, and I've yet to see a Model 8/81 in anything like bad condition. (Except my $165 .35, which is ugly on the outside, but beautifull inside. It's the most beat M-81 I've ever seen, and it runs great.)

Welcome to the cult. Thou art ours now. Shan't e'er be free of us, forevermore. Prepare to be envied. Mwuhahahahaha!

;)

MarineTech
August 26, 2003, 07:38 PM
Good for you Mike. It's always nice to know you're gun has come in.

Hope yours is in as decent condition as the Model 8 I just picked up. I went over it Saturday and did a detail strip and cleaning to see if I could find any problems. Everything is solid in the trenches. I had concerns about the bore because of what appeared to be heavy fouling. Turns out it wasn't fouling. I'm not certain, but I think it was old oil and dust built up over years. Ran some Shooters Choice through it on a brush, let it sit for about an hour, and then ran a patch through on a jag. The bore looks brand new. The rifling is clean and crisp with 0 pitting or wear. After taking this all apart, I'd swear that this rifle wasn't any more than 10 years old instead of the nearly 90 that it actually is.

Whoever originally bought it must have taken good care of it and not shot it much.

I managed to get my hands on an original Lyman 1A tang sight, now I just need to find the screw to attach it with.

I'm hoping to get this out to the range over the weekend and we'll see how it shoots. Looks like John Moses Browning's last sporting design might be making a reappearance in the Maine woods this fall.

Mike Irwin
August 27, 2003, 01:43 PM
Marine,

How much did you have to pay for the Lyman 1A?

I understand they are quite expensive.

MarineTech
August 27, 2003, 09:45 PM
Mike, a local gunsmith had a couple aperture sights sitting around. I paid him $100 for it as he was packing up his truck to head for a gun show last Friday. He didn't have a screw with it, but thought he may have one in his shop, so I'm going to try to touch bases with him again this Friday or over the weekend. He had several other Lymans, a couple Marbles, and a Redfield sight for a Model 8 as well. Price tags ranged from about $100 to about $170 depending on the sight, but he's not adverse to a little haggling.

If you'd like, I could take a look for you to see if he's still got them.

Gordon
August 27, 2003, 10:31 PM
I'm gonna search the junk drawers I KNOW I have one some where. I took it off and put on an old Marbles tang sight. When I find it it's yours Mike.:)

Mike Irwin
August 27, 2003, 11:03 PM
Gordon,

Whoa, thanks, Dude!

I picked up the rifle this evening.

I'M IN LOVE!

What a cool rifle!

I'm getting ready to do my first take down on it.

More later!

BigG
August 27, 2003, 11:33 PM
Cool! Enjoy that bad puppy, MI! My dad has the sister pump to that, Model 14, IIRC, heavy as LBJ's heart but nice!

Gewehr98
August 28, 2003, 12:00 AM
I've got a Williams rear peep on my .300 Savage Model 81. But I'm looking for the proper rear ramp barrel sight, there's just two threaded bushings in the barrel shroud right now. :(

MarineTech
August 28, 2003, 01:44 AM
One thing I will recommend highly, is picking up a copy of "The Great Remington 8 and Model 81 Autoloading Rifles" by John Henwood.

This book has everything you need to know about the rifles. Covers history, maintenance, parts, and all model variations. Very comprehensive and just a great read.

Mike Irwin
August 28, 2003, 02:18 AM
OK, I learned a few things.

First, it apparently has NEVER been taken apart. Christ what a mess. I had to struggle for nearly 30 minutes just getting the buttstock off, as it was pretty firmly welded in place with dried crap.

Of course, while trying to tap on the rear of the action to move it off the stock, I dinged the :cuss:ing action! AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHH!

Secondly, I don't have the proper sized brass punches to do a takedown right now. I need to get a set at the next gunshow, and until then I'm not going to shoot it because it's so filthy dirty.

Third, is the action spring plug supposed to be made out of wood? It would appear that the one on my rifle IS?

Four, my 81 appears to have stripper clip guides in the receiver? I thought only the Model 8 had clip guides...

Marine, thanks for the tip on the book. I'm going looking for one now!

Hand_Rifle_Guy
August 28, 2003, 03:01 AM
I stand shocked and amazed.

Those aperture sights cost THAT much? Wow.

My .35 Remington M-81 has a Lyman sight. A Rube Goldberg assemblage of complicated, high-precision, really TINY little parts. It works superbly, however. The rifle's embarassed now, as it only cost $165 to start with! If a USED Lyman sight runs $100-ish, how much is a new one? I sincerely hope I never break mine. (This gun also has a bronze/gold bead front sight. If that's not an included accessory to the Lyman rear sight, my bonuses grow fruitful and multiply.)

The .300 Savage-chambered M-81 has a less-classic-looking but eminently functional Redfield unit. Not a flip-up tang, but loaded with tiny little precisely-machined adjusting screws, and rock solid. Who's got a Brownells catalog handy, so they can tell me what this one costs? It arrived, BTW, on a rifle priced all of $145.

I know I got "you-stole-it" deals on both of the rifles, (They're both in "carried much, shot little" condition.) but to discover that the purchase price barely covers the aftermarket sighting equipment makes me worry about my Karmic balance. It just seems to good to be true.

It is true, though. I just got luckier than I knew.

Gewehr98, one of my guns has a broken off screw stuck in one of the bushings. The other has the factory sight on it still, I THINK. It's nothing to write home about, being basically a cheap POS buckhorn made of stamped sheetmetal, with a folded sheet step-block for elevation. It's so cheesy, it doesn't match the quality of the rifle, hence my doubts about factory origin. (It's old, though, and matches the gun in that regard. Hmmm.) You could make one with little trouble. It's a crummy sight no matter how you slice it, so I suspect you're better served with the Williams sight you've got.

MarineTech, someone wrote a book just on these guns? I'll have to track down a copy. Most of the rest of the literature around consists of my posts bleating about how excellent and relatively unknown to the present day these guns are. Is this book a recent publication, or do I have to try and find a copy at the gunshow bookdealer?

Mike! Confirming the wood plug. Both of my 81's have it. And I was wondering about the "charger bridge" also. None of the chamberings for these guns, .300 Savage excepted, fit in anything like a standard stripper clip. I was unaware that the M-8 had guides, but if they're the same as the M-81's, I suspect that they serve some other purpose. According to the Remington website, the M-8 was only ever chambered in the Remington Rimless series, which makes strippers a long reach. Funky little notches, those. Wonder what they're for?

FWIW, when I stripped my guns, I didn't have drift pins either, but I don't remember it being an issue. That was a couple of years ago, though, so don't hold me to that. Dis/re-assembly without a set of instructions is not recommended by me, although I did manage to muddle through. (I had to look up the initial step of removing the takedown screw from under the forearm. :o) Tricky takedown and complexity of manufacture was what doomed this remarkable rifle. You're finding out the consequences of that tricky bidness now, in the form of accumulated crappage 'cuz someone couldn't be bothered to take it to a gunsmith once a year for a detail-clean, just like you would a Winchester 94. John Browning's engineering shows through, though, as the gun only goes back together ONE WAY. You just have to remember what order you took it apart in, and have some mechanical aptitude to put it back together. That's a tall order for The World At Large. ;)

NOTE: Don't drop the bolt on your finger like I did while fiddling with the bolt release. It'll cheerfully drive a nice square-edged piece of fingernail right into the top of your finger, with resultant copious blood dripping into your nice rifle. Hurts, too.

The M-8/81 cult consumes, and grows large with food. This is well. Does this mean we can have a THR Remington M-8/81 shoot? I can go anywhere just as soon as I win the lottery. ;)

Mike Irwin
August 28, 2003, 03:28 AM
Hand,

Remington apparently provided their own stripper clips for these rifles. I found what I thought might have been one for auction the other week and posted a picture of it here.

AH! Here's the link to Gunbroker. I'm still kicking myself, I should have bought this.

Christ, it went for $8.00. I'm just sick about it now...

I'm not sure, but I don't think that anyone makes sights for the 8/81 anymore.

Hey, here's something cool about peeps on Remington rifles!

http://home.att.net/~eldad.too/DadsMem011bb.htm

The only thing I'm finding in Brownell's is a Williams receiver sight, and there's no way in hell I'm drilling and tapping this thing for a receiver sight.

It gets a tang or nothing.

As for disassembly, Gewher was kind enough to send me instructions that he scanned. Comprehensive. I'm printing them out at work tomorrow.

As for the buckhorn sight that's there, I disagree that it's crappy stamped steel.

Take a look at how thick its. Take a look at the machining that is done AFTER stamping, and how well it's finished.

Mine also has what appears to be a screw that allows for very fine elevation adjustments once the right ramp step has been selected.

No, I don't agree. This is not a crappy sight. Perhaps crappy for field use, and imprecise, but there's nothing crappy about it's quality.

zeke
August 28, 2003, 07:37 AM
My 81 came with a Lyman 41 R peep sight on it. Am not real familiar with different style peeps , but this ones fine aperature flips down for a bigger aperature size. Is this a common Lyman sight?

Have been looking for a new replacement recoil spring, without much luck. Like to change the recoil springs on the older guns purchased, but haven't found one for the 81 yet.

Neat rifle, last time shot it at range a couple of younger shooters backed off quite a bit for the guy shooting that "antique". :rolleyes:

Hand_Rifle_Guy
August 28, 2003, 08:15 AM
Sounds like I've got some sort of replacement iron sight, then. I suspected as much. Yours sounds nice. Lucky. I'm green with envy.

My crummy setup has no adjusting knob, no machining, no thick metal, just a thin stamped shape with up-bent buckhorn paddle and a pair of screw holes in an oval paddle on the other end that's been bent to match the receiver radius, sorta. Channel-shaped stamped steel stepped elevation block. It's a home-workshop reject, probably hijacked off of a pellet gun.

But I ignore it. I've got this really snazzy Lyman 1A that sits right behind it...;)

mtnbkr
August 28, 2003, 09:26 AM
I found this (http://www.remingtonsociety.com/journals/RSAJournal_03_1992.htm) while looking for more info about the M-81. Notice the article about Cartridge Clips ForThe Remington M8 & M81. I have no idea how you would go about getting a copy though since this issue is 11 years old.

BTW, what cartridges is the M81 chambered? It was a very neat gun, I might be tempted to get one if there's a chambering I like and the price is right. :)

Edit to add: They do have a way to get back issues, contact the person at the bottom of this page: http://www.remingtonsociety.com/journals/purchase.shtml

Chris

BigG
August 28, 2003, 09:46 AM
Hand Rifle Guy: If I'm not mistaken a .35 Rem is the same base as 30/06/45 ACP and all the other derivatives so a clip that fit one of those could conceivably be bastardized to work with one of the Rem autoloaders.

Gewehr98
August 28, 2003, 10:31 AM
It's got a rim diameter of 0.460", just shy of the standard 0.473" of the 7/8mm Mausers, .30-06, .308 Win., and .45 ACP.

http://www.reloadingcentral.com/data.html

At one time, I wanted to take a bunch of .35 Remington brass, neck it down to 6.5 or 6mm, and make a pseudo benchrest/varmint wildcat out of it. Problem was, that darned rim diameter required a custom bolt face.

Mike, that wooden recoil spring plug is standard, both my Model 8 and 81 have them.

I'm assuming you want a drift punch to take apart the bolt and bolt carrier assembly. The machining inside there is something to behold. Not that the internal and external machining of the receiver is any less impressive.

There's no drilled and tapped screw hole at the base of the "hump" of your Model 81, Mike? I was under the impression that they all left the factory drilled and tapped, with a blank screw installed to fill the hole.

HRG, my Model 8 has a Marbles rear barrel shroud sight, along with that early Lyman flip-up rear peep. It's really nice, not just a cheap-o stamped Dockendorf, but I'm sure it's aftermarket. I may just find a blind plate adapter for the 81, and stay with the Williams rear peep, or keep my eyes open for another Marbles. Gary Fellers is the first place I'd contact for vintage iron sights.

Mtnbkr, the Model 8 came chambered in the .25 Remington, .30 Remington, .32 Remington, and .35 Remington.

The later Model 81 added .300 Savage to the list. Some fearless folks with chambering reamers have taken this as a sign to rechamber several Model 81's to .308 Winchester. I've seen more than a couple of them, but refused to buy, let alone shoot, one.

Spare parts for the guns tend to accumulate. I've got a nice barrel in .30 Remington, and a new shroud recoil spring. There will be a spare buttstock soon, but it has been shortened enough to have a red rubber Winchester recoil pad installed.

Mike Irwin
August 28, 2003, 12:42 PM
Hand Rifle,

Wow. Yours could either be a replacement, or it could be a very late sight. I don't know.

I do know that the very few number of 8/81s I've examined (along with the Remington pump rifles from the same era) all have very well done and sturdy buckhorn sights.

I'll try to get a couple of pictures of it that show the construction.

Chris, thanks for the link! I'm trying to find out everything I can about these rifles at the moment.

Gew,

I also want the brass punch to take out the pin that helps hold the trigger assembly in place.

In PMing CR Sam last night he delivered a slap to my forehead -- brass brazing rod. Cheap punch instead of paying for a set. I've got a chunk of rod in my basement. Sigh.

And yes, mine has the little blind plug with a screw at the rear of the receiver hump.

Zeke,

The Lyman 41R was a pretty common and popular sight in the 1940s and 1950s, IIRC. I've seen a couple on rifles in the woods in Pennsylvania.

Mike Irwin
August 28, 2003, 12:50 PM
You know, I'm thinking that it may well be time to join the Remington Society. Between my Dad and I, we've now got several older Remingtons:

My 81 in .300 Savage.

My 722 in .300 Savage

Two 1903A3s

A 521T

A Model 58 Sportsman shotgun.

I'm also looking at getting an 11-48 in 20 or 28 gauge at some point in the semi-near future...

MarineTech
August 28, 2003, 01:08 PM
MarineTech, someone wrote a book just on these guns? I'll have to track down a copy. Most of the rest of the literature around consists of my posts bleating about how excellent and relatively unknown to the present day these guns are. Is this book a recent publication, or do I have to try and find a copy at the gunshow bookdealer?

Supposedly, this is a new printing of the book. The copy I got was up for auction on Gunbroker and was supposedly a pre-release. I've also seen copies of it for auction on Ebay.

Hand Rifle Guy: If I'm not mistaken a .35 Rem is the same base as 30/06/45 ACP and all the other derivatives so a clip that fit one of those could conceivably be bastardized to work with one of the Rem autoloaders.

While you may be able to modify an existing stripper clip to fit the .35 Remington case head, it's not necessarily going to fit the guide on the receiver.

Hand_Rifle_Guy
August 28, 2003, 01:55 PM
MarineTech: Thank you for the info, eyes are now peeled.

Mike, it can't be a late-model factory sight. It's on the .35, which has the earlier, fatter non-schnabel fore-end, and the serial #'s all of four digits: 26xx! That'd be '36 or '37 production, I imagine. I just have a REALLY cheap sight. Now WHY I have this lousy cheap trinket on my fine Remington autoloader in addition to the excellent Lyman sight is a mystery. I may buy a nice Marbles replacement just to give the rifle some of it's pride back. It's like it's wearing a polyester liesure suit. Pics of the actual-factual factory sight would be a good thing. Just another reason for those pics I pestered you about back when you started this most enjoyable and informative thread. ( I love threads about stuff I like. Validates my choices, and all that other self-esteem-boosting liberal doublespeak. ;) )

And it's not actually a buckhorn sight. It's more correctly a "flattop" as defined by Marbles. Like it matters. It is more properly "functional junk".

I need some of these alleged stripper clips, and a couple of those extended LEO magazines so I can make like an AK in more ways than just the safety. Up With Banana Clips! (Aww, why do I even dream. I bet those extended mags're illegal in this stupid state. "No ammo-feeding device with a capacity in excess of ten rounds may be sold, loaned, transferred, etc., etc...." That's right! the PRK, doing it's part to manufacture black markets, and the criminals, formerly law-abiding citizens who've had their legally-owned property criminalized ex-post-facto-ally, who use them. Stupid state. :mad: )

Gewehr98
August 28, 2003, 02:12 PM
If your Model 81 has that blind plug screw, that's where your Lyman rear peep sight attaches.

That brass rod drift punch you're making will also assist you in tightening or loosening the barrel bushing at the muzzle end. Just remember, there's a LOT of spring tension behind it, so keep it captured as it comes off. ;)

BTW, Mike, you need a Model 11 to fill out the early Remington collection. It will look nice sitting in the safe next to the Model 81. I know mine does. :D

Another neat trick, if you have a .32 Remington Model 8 or 81, it uses the same bullets as the .32 Winchester Special. This is a 170gr .321" diameter bullet, sold by Hornady and Speer. They can be "iffy" to find or order. So, I bought a Corbin swage die, and now swage 170gr 8mm Mauser bullets from .323" down to .321". Voila'!

Those of you folks with .30 Remington, .35 Remington, and .300 Savage autoloaders are in much better shape.

MarineTech
August 28, 2003, 09:07 PM
Alright folks, I've scouted out things for you.

Here are a couple auctions that feature THE BOOK.

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=11456363

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=11469655

Both are from the same person I bought mine from, and he's great to deal with. He's in Arizona, and I had the book in my hands 3 days after payment was made.

Enjoy.

Oh, and don't spend the money buying a repro of the original manual. Contact Remington directly and they'll send you one for free. Got mine in about 9 days.

Mike Irwin
August 28, 2003, 11:49 PM
"Contact Remington directly..."

Hey! Cool! I'm off to their Web site!

Gordon
August 29, 2003, 02:03 AM
Remington fans eh? How about: 43 Spanish Rolling Block, 7mm rolling block carbine, .41 Derringer, "baby rolling block" .22 carbine., Model 8 .35 , Model 51 .380, Model 1917 by Remington with Rem bayonet, Model 14 1/2 44/40 , Model 30s 30-06, Model 81 .35,Model 141 in .35, Model 513T, Model 511, Nylon 66, model 37 .22 target gun, Model 31 in 12 ga AND 20ga(my favorite), Models 721,722, model 40x, four model 600's, 4 model 700,s , four model 870's, three model 1100's, and one 3200. I might have missed something. I joined Remington club last Oct. Come on back now guys with yours. :D

Mike Irwin
August 29, 2003, 02:18 AM
Oh, I forgot the Model 700 in .243.

russlate
August 29, 2003, 05:54 AM
Some 81's in 35 Rem.

russlate
August 29, 2003, 05:56 AM
Some 81's in 35 Rem. were fitted with aftermarket 15 round magazines and used for guarding prisons. Forget the company name, but the magazines were beautifully solid and well made of incredibly thick stock. Think of forging rather than sheet metal stamping.

zeke
August 29, 2003, 08:02 AM
Went the route of contacting Rem for copy of the manual, only got half of it. Lady wasn't very cooperatiuve and wouldn't check into it. Appears they only had one side of a page, skipping every other page.

Fortunately someone on the boards advised me to get Firearms assembly/disassembly (ceterfire rifles revised edition) Part IV by JB Wood. This has complete disassembly procedure for a Model 8.

The long recoil is certainly a new experience. Using the factory loads, which some are loaded very light, some brass barely got ejected.

Gordon
August 29, 2003, 12:05 PM
I use (d) that manual for my guns with success. :)

Mike Irwin
August 29, 2003, 12:50 PM
Russ,

I thought the extended magazine was developed for the Model 8?

The more I learn about these rifles, the more smitten I am with them.

You NEVER saw them in Pennsylvania when I was growing up because you couldn't use them for deer hunting -- no semi-auto rifles at all for deer.

Gewehr98
August 29, 2003, 01:14 PM
But here's a Model 81 with the big honkin' banana:

http://www.mauser98.com/remrifle.jpg

Zeke, the images I sent Mike came from that disassembly manual. ;)

Mike Irwin
August 29, 2003, 02:00 PM
I forgot to mention the funny story that was recounted to me when I picked my rifle up.

Anyone here who knows Bernie at Virginia Arms knows he's a funny guy, and likes a good joke.

When my 81 came in, another employee at the store had never seen one before. Bernie had him totally convinced for a little bit that the shroud around the barrel was an integral suppressor. :)

russlate
August 29, 2003, 05:53 PM
The 81's were definitely a high class work. Fortunately I never had to find out the hard way if the 200 grain load would shoot through a Continental or Lycoming engine block. But that's another story.

Gewehr98
August 30, 2003, 03:36 AM
http://mauser98.com/oakleygun.gif

MarineTech
September 1, 2003, 11:51 AM
Well, finally got my Model 8 out to the range yesterday. Best group was about 3" at 100 yards with the stock semi-buckhorn sight and Remington's 150gr. loads. Not too bad with iron sights. I'll see how well it does after I get the tang sight fitted today. Second best was with Winchester's 200gr. Power points which came in just under 4"

2 things that I found out of interest in the experience.

1) Even though the gun was designed with a 200gr. bullet in mind, I found that the 150gr. Remingtons were a bit more accurate.

2) I found out why it looked like this gun was shot so little. RECOIL. I'm not terribly recoil sensitive, and I've been known to put about 300 rounds of .308 downrange out of an M14 in a shooting session, but this rifle was beating the heck out of me with 200gr. loads. Now I will admit that earlier in the morning I had run through 4 rounds of 5-stand. 100 rounds of 12 gauge trap loads can do a number on you, but this rifle was a beast with the heavier loads.

Guess I'll be sticking with the lighter Remington offering until I can start working up some decent loads of my own.

RussB
September 1, 2003, 01:43 PM
Reading through his thread made me dig into the back of the safe and take out my Model 8 in .30 Rem...

I bought this gun several years ago, just because it was so darn cool! Blueing is 99%, walnut has a beautiful patina. It set me back $200.

The serial # is 57793. The barrel is marked,
The Remington Arms Union Metallic Cartridge Co. inc.,

I believe it was made around 1924, IIRC, maybe someone could shed some light on this?

I was able to get a hold of 2 boxes of factory Remington ammunition at the Blue Trail range, aka the Lyman range, in Wallingford Ct. a few years ago.
I use a set of 30-30win dies, along with a different shell holder to reload for the gun.

these guns are beautifully built, the take down feature is super-cool, and they are just plain fun to shoot...I need to take a few pics of her :)

C.R.Sam
September 1, 2003, 02:59 PM
Mike...
You have let the monster into your lair.
It will begat and begat.
You will have to move again.

Consider a bank building with a walk in vault.

Sam

Mike Irwin
September 1, 2003, 03:12 PM
Funny you should mention that, Sam...

I was thinking last night that now I want one in .35 Remington.

But that's going to wait. :)

MarineTech
September 1, 2003, 09:41 PM
RussB, according to the reference I have, the receiver of your rifle was built in April of 1928. The rifle was most likely assembled sometime between April and July of that same year.

Mike Irwin
September 1, 2003, 10:46 PM
Hey Marine,

What do your references say about one an 81 with a serial number of 12,6**?

RussB
September 2, 2003, 12:02 AM
MarineTech,

Thank you for the information...this thread has revitalized my interest in my Model 8...I loaded up 20 rounds of 30 Rem, and will take her out to the range in the near future :)

MarineTech
September 2, 2003, 12:33 AM
Mike, you're a bit out of luck. Apparently nobody has been able to locate the log book of serial number assignments for the Model 81. Estimating from factory production stats, your rifle would have been built in late 1940 or early 1941. One thing that will help to better identify when it was built would be for you to check the left side of the barrel jacket head. There should be either 2 or 3 letters there that will identify when the rifle was assembled. See if you can find it and let me know what they are.

Mike Irwin
September 2, 2003, 02:02 AM
Marine,

There's an RJ on the left side, and what looks like an upside down checkmark on the right side... ?

Any help?

Target Shooter
September 2, 2003, 02:37 AM
I thought I was the only person who like's the Remington model 81.
I bought my first one years ago at a local show from a private individual selling of his deceased fathers guns. It was in a 300 Savage and then a couple of years later I rescued another 300 savage from a toothless redneck that was asking how much trouble it would be to drill and tap it for a scope. My dad bought that one from me.
I then decided I wasnted one in 35 Remington and after eight years of looking I finaly found one with the lyman tang sight and an early leather sling held on with what appeared to be Uncle Mike super swivels, But they were made in Germany back in the 40's. If i could find the other calibers I would probably buy them.:D

MarineTech
September 2, 2003, 09:34 PM
Mike,

That should be just about all I need. I'm at work right now, but I'll check the book when I get home at around midnight Eastern. Off the top of my head, I think it's an earlier model 81, but don't hold me to that. I'll find out for sure when I get home.

MarineTech
September 3, 2003, 01:17 PM
Mike,

The chart I have shows the following for the RJ marking.

R = November
J = 1940

So, the rifle was assembled in November 1940. The parts may have been manufactured a couple months prior.

redneck
September 3, 2003, 02:35 PM
The stamp on the barrel is pretty cool.

Here's a link to a page at rimfire central that explains it and has a listing.

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=9555

Mike Irwin
September 3, 2003, 03:47 PM
Cool!

Thanks, Marine!

Any idea what that weird checkmark might be?

Good link, Red. I've got a couple of things I can put that to use on...

MarineTech
September 4, 2003, 12:14 PM
Without actually seeing the mark to compare it to a list of marks in the book, I have to say that it sounds like an assembler's mark. It was used to identify who did the final fitting and assembly of the rifle. The book gives a listing of the marks, but dosen't have a cross reference as to who the actual people were.

If you enjoyed reading about "It's here! My Remington 81 has been delivered!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!