AR15 = Religious Experience

PDA

ShaiVong
August 26, 2003, 06:32 PM
O.K. I just finally got my Bushmaster NM lower parts kit, and 20" upper with freefloating tube.

Took me two hours to put it together, including scrambling around because I didn't have the right tools (Hex wrench etc..).

Swung by the local outfitters and picked up a 10 rnd mag and a couple boxes of SS109.

Wow. And then; Wow. I love it.

This is the first centerfire semi I've bought, and I've never fired a .223 before.

First reaction was "Woah, what a small stinking bullet". I'm used to my Enfield.

But I'll admit shes got some power, this aint your momas 22mag.

One issue that I was afraid was going to crop up was mismatching in finish/fit between my RRA lower and BM partskit and upper. Luckily they look fine next to eachother, and they fit almost TOO tight. Solid.

The upper was well greased when it arrive, so i just sprayed some breakfree on the lower parts. Still having a tad bit of trouble with the second stage trigger, cant really GET a second stage, but it has a light pull (1lb or so i think) and only a few mm of creep.

I have a question about the rear long range sight though: 300-800m is just impractical for me. 300 is probably the FURTHEST i can shoot here in Maine, and its definately the furthest I can shoot accurately. Can I zet the mechanical zero to like 50m, and then use the rear sight adjustment? EX: Zero at 50m, then 150m is now "4" on the rear sight?

Also, it seems that the freefloating handguard is a ripoff, because the sling stud is still on the front sight, not the guard, so I'm still going to string shots with a sling. And there is no hole for a Bipod or swivel stud, so do i have to drill my own? ( :uhoh: )

If you enjoyed reading about "AR15 = Religious Experience" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ShaiVong
August 26, 2003, 06:35 PM
Also wanted to add that it shoots REALLY clean. I was expecting the thing to be fried when I was done, after all the talk about AR's crapping where they eat.

The upper was so clean I couldnt tell the difference before vs after, and the barrel was actually MUCH cleaner looking. I pushed a few patches before hand to make sure that there was no grit in there.

Nightcrawler
August 26, 2003, 06:50 PM
Did you clean it all the way? Remember, the bolt comes apart and the center of the bolt is where all the gas is directed. You'll want to clean that out if carbon starts to build up.

In my experience, M16s get fairly dirty with not too much firing, but your mileage may vary. (Don't get me started on blanks or the blue tipped plastic bullets...Cripes...)

Fortunately, it's YOUR rifle and you don't have to worry about pleasing some irritable armorer. (In other words, you won't have anybody sticking a cotton swab under your locking lugs (stupid fluted chamber), and telling you that it's not clean if the swab is the slightest bit discolored when it comes out...) Just give it a rudimentary cleaning after each shooting session and a good, deep, mulitple cleaning (CLP takes awhile to really break up the carbon and stuff...clean once, then again, then even a third time to get it REALLY clean) once in awhile. Avoid getting lubricant inside the gas tube. The AR gas tube is really small and you don't want stuff baking on in there. (It's what happens when I lube the gas piston of my FAL, but it doesn't matter on the FAL.)

AR-10
August 26, 2003, 10:18 PM
You can probably drill a hole at the front of the free float handguard to mount a swivel. Depends on what type of handguard it is.

The ss109 may not give you the best groups, unless you have a 1/7 twist barrel. Try some M193 or Winchester Q3131A if the barrel is 1/8 or 1/9.

voilsb
August 26, 2003, 10:46 PM
I have a question about the rear long range sight though: 300-800m is just impractical for me. 300 is probably the FURTHEST i can shoot here in Maine, and its definately the furthest I can shoot accurately. Can I zet the mechanical zero to like 50m, and then use the rear sight adjustment? EX: Zero at 50m, then 150m is now "4" on the rear sight?Well, it's not quite what you asked for, but it's a better zero than the USGI method:

Improved Battlesight Zero (http://www.md-ar15.com/improvedbattlesightzero.msnw): by LTC Chuck Santose. A great all purpose zero for all rifles/carbines (no matter the iron sight type); and you zero in yards (50) instead of meters. It keeps the bullet within 2" of the point of aim from 8M to 220M (very flat trajectory). Also perfect for carbines with A1 sights; and ARs having a 'Red Dot' type sight inline with their iron sighs [on a flattop or in front of the carry handle].

By the way, welcome to the wonderful world of the AR! Some good pages to get acquainted with are AR-15.com (www.ar15.com) and www.md-ar15.com. There's lots of good information at both sites.

ShaiVong
August 27, 2003, 11:34 AM
You can probably drill a hole at the front of the free float handguard to mount a swivel. Depends on what type of handguard it is.

It's a solid black aluminum freefloat tube installed by Bushmaster.. I would have thought there WOULD be a hole already drilled! I mean, whats the point of a freefloating handguard if you cant mount anything to it? :rolleyes:

ShaiVong
August 27, 2003, 11:35 AM
And the front sight assembly is bumped right up against the handguard, so I would be a pain to try and get inside there; I will have to be tapped too I guess. :banghead:

Engineer
August 27, 2003, 01:31 PM
Installing a bipod/sling swivel stud on a free float handguard is pretty trivial. I would recommend the stud by Metalcraft Specialties (http://metalcraft-ar15.com/accessories.htm). With this setup, you don't tap the handguard but instead there is a radius nut that goes behind the handguard to hold everything solidly in place. You can order the kit from Brownells (Part No. 100-000-738) for around $11. Measure the location for the hole, use a center punch to mark it and then drill. Tape off the handguard with some masking tape to protect it, use a magnet to move and hold the nut in place, put some red loctite on the stud and then screw it in. You won't have to remove the front sight block to do this. Overall, it took me less than 25 minutes to do the complete install on my v-match upper, and that included taking 15 minutes to be anal about making sure that I had the upper lined up perfectly in the drill press.

ShaiVong
August 27, 2003, 01:39 PM
Hmmmmmmm. I don't have a magnetic tool, drillpress, edge finder, or something to create a spotface.

For the money I spent on the handguard and upper, I think I might just send it back to bushmaster, or find a local smith, to have it done right.

gun-fucious
August 27, 2003, 01:56 PM
one issue with the freefoated front ends is that the threads may not be timed

so if you un thread it
and reinstall it

the stud may not realign at 6 o'clock

If you enjoyed reading about "AR15 = Religious Experience" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!