Tin Band-Aid Boxes.

PDA

sm
July 5, 2008, 10:32 PM
Tin Band-Aid Boxes.

Mr. Johnny Guest, this one is for you sir.

I was raised to pass forward as mentors and passed forward to me.
I was also told I was born in the last decade that was worth a flip; and of course my mentors and elders were correct about this as well.

I ain’t getting any younger, and I best pass forward what needs passing forward whilst I still can…

Society has gone to hell in a hand-basket, and folks wonder why.
I know why…

1. Demise of the Drive-In Picture Show.
2. Demise of Drug Stores with the lunch counter that served open faced roast beef sandwiches.
3. Demise of Tin Band-Aid Boxes.
4 The…

*interruption*

“What do you mean by Tin Band-Aid Boxes?”

*sigh*

Mentors said I would go through “dimensions”. The said they could not share exactly what these “dimensions” were, but knowed it, when I was in one.

*dimension*

Band-Aids used to come in tin boxes, with a hinged lid that snapped shut.

“What has that got to do with responsible firearm ownership, civil liberties, and taking the high road in life matters?”

*mentor*

Tin Band-Aid Boxes are what free thinkers, self reliant folks, and those with ethics, values, and manners were raised with.

Go get a Dr. Pepper and fried pie, or a RC and moon-pie and come back.

I’m going to go smoke, come back with a cup of coffee, and do some passing forward.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tin Band-Aid Boxes." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sistema1927
July 5, 2008, 10:36 PM
Band aid boxes were wonderful for storing all of your various treasures.

They were even better if you "jappaned" them in a fire and burned off all of the printing.

MMCSRET
July 5, 2008, 10:36 PM
The old Prince Albert hinged lid tobacco can is in the same dimension!!!!!!!!! I miss it.

Thernlund
July 5, 2008, 10:41 PM
I miss Band-Aid tins too. They were great.

Their demise is due to capitalism. I can't feel bad about that. Paperboard is far cheaper.

-T.

Sans Authoritas
July 5, 2008, 10:42 PM
They were perfect for bringing home interesting bugs you didn't want to crush while running through the brush.

-Sans Authoritas

Thernlund
July 5, 2008, 10:44 PM
They were perfect for bringing home interesting bugs you didn't want to crush while running through the brush.

Heh. I used baby food jars for that. Sometimes mason jars, but if my mom caught me... :fire:

-T.

Sans Authoritas
July 5, 2008, 10:46 PM
Hell hath no fury like a mother whose son broke one of her mason jars while running with a bug. (And cutting yourself in the process didn't usually help, either.)

-Sans Authoritas

M249MachineGun
July 5, 2008, 10:47 PM
Its okay! We have altoids mint tins now! Would you rather use up a box of band-aids to get a metal box or a box of breath mints? Personally, I'd take the mints and a lovely lady to "share" them with.

Sixtigers
July 5, 2008, 10:49 PM
I do enjoy me some sm writing. Finish soon...the ice is melting in my pop!

Sans Authoritas
July 5, 2008, 10:51 PM
Its okay! We have altoids mint tins now!

It's just not the same. Height, depth, the way the lid opened, the plain jane lettering vs. the fancy new stuff. Just not the same.

-Sans Authoritas

EShell
July 5, 2008, 10:52 PM
Band aid boxes were wonderful for storing all of your various treasures.
LOL, mine is full of porcupine quills from the only porky I've ever seen in MD.

Thernlund
July 5, 2008, 10:55 PM
http://www.google.com/products?&q=band+aid+tin

-T.

murph50
July 5, 2008, 11:01 PM
Out in my tool shed--I still have stuff stored in those band aid tins and a few of the Prince Albert ones too

sm
July 5, 2008, 11:06 PM
Tin Band-Aid Boxes were available in different sizes. Some offerings were the same size band-aid in the tin.
Others had a variety of sizes and shapes.

There were no big chain stores that were open 24/7/52.; furthermore many areas of the country had “Blue Laws”, meaning stores were not open on Sunday.

Folks bought what they needed when stores were open. There was none of this running to a store for something, 24/7/52, whether it was a serious need, or just a whim to get out and go shopping.

Nurses, Doctors, Policemen, Fireman, and anyone else that worked shift work, like at the Plant, had to think, plan and get what they needed when stores were open – like Band-Aids.

Personal responsibility for one’s self.
Being self reliant, and having the ability to improvise, adapt and overcome.
One was respectful, civil and polite with neighbors and anyone else they interacted with at work, or in daily affairs.

A kid could be out playing, and scrap a knee, and a neighbor would come out, or a kid could knock on a neighbor’s door and that tin band aid box meant “safe” and “everything was going to be all right".

There was no 911, folks did not need the government to tell them what to do and when.
Folks were raised right.
A kid knew his neighbors, as he/she was parented and mentored about not talking to strangers.
Adults, earned trust of other adults with kids, and the kids themselves. It was everyone’s responsibility to parent kids and be a mentor to not only kids, anyone they had an opportunity to pass on something they had experiences with.

Manners were used when that skinned knee was fixed up.
A kid said “thank you” and used “ma’am” or “sir” when addressing an adult.

Tin Band-Aid Boxes, are more than just containers for band-aids, they make great containers for all sorts of things responsible firearm owners use as well.

Husker1911
July 5, 2008, 11:21 PM
Enjoy your coffee, sm. Me, I surely miss drinking an icy cold Green River on a hot summer's evening.

scrat
July 5, 2008, 11:27 PM
you mean they are not tin anymore.

i guess its been a while since i bought a band aide

Rokyudai
July 5, 2008, 11:36 PM
I remember them well. Like everything pure and simple, it eventually gets gussied up some.... I bought some of these... kids love the gum and I get left with the tin snap box!

Enjoy!

http://www.amazon.com/Hubba-Bubba-Ouch-Bubble-2-Ounce/dp/B000FKIYI0

justin 561
July 5, 2008, 11:38 PM
Nice poem, but I hardly see how this is gun related. I do love the band aid boxes though, my grandmother has 20-30 of them in a box.

Thernlund
July 5, 2008, 11:49 PM
Nice poem, but I hardly see how this is gun related.sm has some status on THR, so there's more leeway than usual.

-T.

justin 561
July 5, 2008, 11:50 PM
Oh ok, I did enjoy the poem at least.

sm
July 6, 2008, 12:03 AM
Tin-Band-Aid Boxes would hold small glass bottle of Mercurochrome, or Iodine, along with the Band-Aids.
A tongue depressor, or even a Popsicle stick, with adhesive tape wrapped around it, a gauze pad or two, small pen knife ( with or without scissors) , some tweezers, Gillette Blue Razor blade, needle, pinch of tobacco for bee stings…etc., and one had a durable first aid kit.

Everyone had one.
At home, in the shop, the family car/ station wagon, truck, businesses, boats, tractors, range bags, packs, hunting/fishing cabin…etc.

Add a small compass, matches, and a few other items, and one had the emergency kit all folks were supposed to have, while out hunting, hiking, camping and just outdoors.

Small parts were kept in these for guns, whether out at the range, or out hunting.
A very small, still portable, gun maintenance kit, with some oil, patches and the like were fashioned out of the tins.

Extra ammunition was kept in these, in family vehicles, and the trucks, tractors and other equipment used on farms and ranches.

Many a person purchased loose ammunition from the hardware store, feed and seed, bait shop, gas station, or grocery store, as it was done back in the day.
It might be a kid that had turned in some coke bottles for two pennies each that bought a few loose .22 rim-fire shells, or the widow that bought a few .38spls, or the farmer wanting to replace the few 30-30 shells he used.

The “clink” of cartridges into a tin band-aid was a common sound of freedom.

Doggy Daddy
July 6, 2008, 12:20 AM
Ahhh... fergit about the Band-aid tins. Steve hooked me with the open-faced roast beef sammich. Though I prefer mine closed face.

And that's with mashed potatos and gravy over it all.

Dangit, Steve!

theotherwaldo
July 6, 2008, 12:40 AM
What about Alka Seltzer bottles? I always used them to hold the bullet lube for my '58 Remington, popsicle stick and all. It fit perfectly in my US surplus grenade pouch that held my fixin's.

sm
July 6, 2008, 12:41 AM
Tin Band-Aid Boxes have fought for freedom and symbolize preservation of freedom just as Metal and Wood [Bateman].

Adults needed to investigate and verify what was going on with freedoms.
Adults tossed a kid a empty tin band-aid box and that kid was entertained. Putting stuff in, taking stuff out, shaking it, and having a good time.

Parents could read the evening paper, watch the evening news and stay current with events.
Politics, Supreme Court, Cold War, John F. Kennedy being assassinated in Dallas, Jack Ruby shooting Lee Harvey Oswald on live television, Lyndon Baines Johnson being sworn in as President of the United States, Gun Control Act of 1968...

A kid will take that tin band-aid box into the bathroom and take a bath. The kid plays with the tin, and then finally with bath time all done, and tucked in bed, the parents can work on Freedom.

Letters are typed, envelopes are addressed and postage stamps kept in a tin band-aid box are applied.
Parents and Mentors wrote elected officials about concerns in regard to freedom.

The kid gets a bit bigger and crayons in a tin band-aid box, are wonderful!
In a town meeting a kid can color and entertain themselves, and even share with other kids, so adults can attend and participate in local affairs of freedom.

At home, the kid sees his parents doing things and wants to be a part of what is going on.
So at the table with crayons, the kid sees and hears parents and mentors writing letters and, that other tin-band-aid box has the stamps.

The kid learns to put on stamps correctly and involved in preserving freedom.
Time passes and the kid is a teenager, and the vehicle they get to borrow, has a tin band-aid box with first aid, extra ammunition and emergency phone call money.

When the teenager goes hiking, camping, fishing and hunting, that tin band-aid box has an emergency kit.

As an adult, the lessons passed forward beginning as a kid with a tin band-aid box, are passed forward.

Tin Band-Aid boxes are more than containers for band-aids.

Wheeler44
July 6, 2008, 12:47 AM
This time of year a person should read some of Steve's stories and Ray Bradbury's "Dandelion Wine" while sittin' on the porch wit a big glass of iced tea. (or a small shot of mountain whiskey fer some folks)

bogie
July 6, 2008, 01:05 AM
Well, I've been in the search for the Perfect Glass Jar to hold solvent and patches.

Butch's Bore Shine will eat a lot of plastics, so that's out... And it needs to be wide-mouthed, so I can fish the patches out easy. And it's gotta seal.

The band-aid tin is a sort of personal ammo can... Not as big, won't hold the heavy tools, but they're still useful.

Aguila Blanca
July 6, 2008, 01:07 AM
Not only that, the BandAids that came in those tins were wrapped in an envelope that had a string you could pull to tear it open, so you could actually remove the bandage and use it in the same century as the injury. Try figuring out how to open the inner envelope on a BandAid now.

Plus -- back then when you bought a 3/4" BandAid you got a bandage with a pad 3/4 of an inch wide. Today you buy a box of so-called 3/4-inch BandAids, and the pads are maybe a half inch wide. Which translates into essentially useless. You have to buy a 1" BandAid to get a useful pad. Try to find a box of 1" BandAids.

230RN
July 6, 2008, 02:23 AM
I'm nobody's grandmother, but I still have a bunch of them around in which I keep various items like buttons, orphan screws and nuts, etc, etc, etc, etc. I used to keep my collection of little die-cast miniature tools --hammers, pliers, screwdrivers --in one of them more'n a half century ago. Don't know whatever happened to that collection --and the Band-Aid box they were in.

I tried packing some spare rifle cartridges in them once but found that was too noisy in the field.

The remark about 3/4" Band-Aid pads brought in mind the 23/32" plywood stack I saw recently. One stinkin' thirty-second of an inch off of what used to be 3/4" plywood must be saving a lot of trees.

As well as bucks for the CEO who dreamed that up.

I cracked up over the remark about needing to get a Band-Aid out of the little cellophane packages in the same century that you got the wound. Very good!

And yes, sm is special!

Robert Hairless
July 6, 2008, 03:10 AM
Adults tossed a kid a empty tin band-aid box and that kid was entertained. Putting stuff in, taking stuff out, shaking it, and having a good time.

I heard of one kid for whom an evening's entertainment was two paperclips hooked together.

By the time he figured out how to separate them he had graduated from law school, made partner with a prestigious Washington, DC firm, and was advising the District on how to handle the aftermath of Heller.

GlowinPontiac
July 6, 2008, 04:11 AM
I have a ton of those old tin band aid containers back at my parents house. they are amazingly useful for holding small parts and assorted hardware. as a kid i used to keep em full of firecrackers.

back then after you used a product you kept the packaging because it could be used for a million other things. nowadays you throw it out because you have to destroy it just to get it open.

mnrivrat
July 6, 2008, 04:36 AM
It might be a kid that had turned in some coke bottles for two pennies each that bought a few loose .22 rim-fire shells,

You know SM is a mite younger than I, but it seems sometimes we were raised in the same place at the same time. Been a long time since I remember young people coming into the little gas station on the corner to buy ammo - and yep ! Sometimes it was just a few rounds as he always kept an open box for them occasions.

Seems to me nowdays most households don't need bandaids - they just take the little ones to the doctor for anything that bleeds a little. My day, Mom was the doctor and got plenty upset you were costing them the price of that bandaid by being careless. She always made sure she cleaned that finger good before applying the bandage - sqeezing the wound to make sure it bleed out good as to not have any dirt in there.

Anyhow - thanks sm for another trip down memory lane. A few rounds of .22 shorts and my old Remington 510 Targetmaster was all the intertainment I ever needed. (Well - Lone Ranger on the radio was kinda a nice time as well)

Claymore1500
July 6, 2008, 07:39 AM
I have read this thread thru, twice now, Not gun related "true" BUT, (although I am sorta' new here) I love reading this kind of stuff, I may be new here but not so new out there, I seem to go back in time when I read these threads.

I don't think they are meant to take up bandwidth, but instead, give pause to those of us who remember cashing in pop bottles, sitting in front of a b&w tv set with only 3 channels, sleeping with a 7 transistor radio under my pillow(listening to AM, knowing mine was better than my brothers cause he only had 6 trans.)

Above all, these threads take those of us that remember away from "What should I carry for shtf, To carrying school books for the everlasting love of the fifth grade".

It's early Sunday morning, I am sitting here waiting for the new love of my life to get up, so we can go fishing, this thread made me think, "Put all the grafite composit rods away and get out the bamboo, Thank you very much for the time travel, I for one appreciated it.

Walkalong
July 6, 2008, 07:47 AM
I have read this thread thru, twice now, Not gun related "true" BUTbut it is about freedom, a time when we were much more free, and guns are about that freedom too.

**Ya gotta read between the lines**

Claymore1500
July 6, 2008, 08:08 AM
"Walkalong"

No offence to you sir, (read my entire post) the outright message in the OP was extremely clear, no need to read anymore into it than is already there.

Hardware
July 6, 2008, 10:26 AM
I was just reflecting with my girlfriend how many businesses were open as usual on the 4th of July. I can recall not that many years back how nothing was open on any of the major holidays. Woe betide the man or woman who forgot to buy whipped cream (or whatever) before Thanksgiving Day. If you ran out you did without.

Just Jim
July 6, 2008, 10:37 AM
Reflecting over times that change is just an old mans way of looking back at his life. He looks to his own soul and what he has held important then compares to todays men. We are not todays men.

jj

Walkalong
July 6, 2008, 06:37 PM
No offence to you sirNone taken, but I think you missed my point.

The Lone Haranguer
July 6, 2008, 07:00 PM
The little flat tins Altoids breath mints come in can fit some objects. I've been using them for small fasteners and cotter pins in my work, and they should be handy for small gun parts (pins, screws, etc) as well.

rdrancher
July 6, 2008, 07:29 PM
Tin Band-Aid Boxes.

I still have a few.

I keep 3 pairs of earplugs in a typewriter ribbon tin in my truck for running chainsaws and the random target practice. (That's gun related for those so inclined to bi*ch.)

I use an old Folger's Coffee short tin to house a stack of coffee filters next to the coffee maker. The tin looks better than a plastic sleeve and keeps the filters handy. Come to think of it I have a bunch of tins out in the barn full of nuts and bolts too.

There's a Sucret's tin full of oddball coins in the safe to boot.

I have lots of old stuff. They remind me of much simpler times - Driving crosscountry, laying in the back window of our big sedan looking at the stars. Leaving the house after breakfast and exploring all day with my friends..."Be back by supper Johnny!"

I miss those days.

rd

Stevie-Ray
July 6, 2008, 07:42 PM
There were no big chain stores that were open 24/7/52.; furthermore many areas of the country had “Blue Laws”, meaning stores were not open on Sunday.Clymer PA, where my wife is from, still has the blue laws.

Sans Authoritas
July 6, 2008, 07:44 PM
Well, I've been in the search for the Perfect Glass Jar to hold solvent and patches.

Butch's Bore Shine will eat a lot of plastics, so that's out... And it needs to be wide-mouthed, so I can fish the patches out easy. And it's gotta seal.

A yeast jar. Wide-mouthed, has a built-in rubber seal. It's even amber.

-Sans Authoritas

Thernlund
July 6, 2008, 07:45 PM
Blue Laws are unconstitutional for the most part.

-T.

C96
July 6, 2008, 07:50 PM
I also still have a couple of the band aid boxes with special things in them. For more practical small storage devices I seemed to have moved to empty CCI .22lr boxes. I have plenty of both the 100 round and the 50 round boxes with all kinds of springs, magazine parts, sights parts and what ever needed temporary storage. The CCI boxes have nice sliding lids, you can see into them without needing to open them and they seem to multiply by themselves in my ammo storage area.

The band aid boxes were great in their time but I think it's time to move forward into the seventies. :)

MT GUNNY
July 6, 2008, 07:50 PM
There is a drive-in picture show in Columbia Falls MT Two shows a night,

Up until last year this time there was one in Libby MT but the big wind storm blew it over, I loved that place
If I had the money Id buy it, and fix it

ACORN
July 6, 2008, 08:13 PM
I remember well the days of the "blue laws". Dad having to stop to get gas or milk Saturday night because no-one was open on Sunday. There was a little mom and pop variety store about 1/2 mile away that was open on Sunday. The great part about the store was that the store was attached to the owners house. You could walk in to the store and if the door was open look right into their kitchen. "Grandma" or the owner would be watching the store from the kitchen table.
My dad could send me to the store for a pack of L&M's for .27
You didn't dare buy them for you and your buddies to smoke. Every cashier knew your mom and they'd tell sure as shooting.
Me and my buddies all had sling shots. Not the store bought kind either.

Gaucho Gringo
July 6, 2008, 08:41 PM
I still have a couple of Prince Albert cans(what my grandfather smoked) and one Band Aid can. The Prince Albert can being thinner and wider was easier in my opinion to carry around in ones pockets. I also think that cans with the lids on top are more useful. I used to carry all the things a well equipped boy should carry: marbles, string, matches, fish hooks, paper clips, bottle cap candles, .22 ammo and other sundry items. I also remember coming home from school and waiting until 4 PM for the 3 B&W TV stations to come on the air. We never had a TV set until I was 8 years old in 1958. But the good old days have some what of a downside. I have had cerebral palsy since birth because the medical community weren't sure of the cause which today is almost non existent except in very early preemies. Fortunately, mine is not very severe in comparison to others and I have lived a fairly normal life partly because when people said I would never be able to do something, I did it to prove them wrong. My loving wife of 25 years of marriage said that this is what originally attracted her to me. Today I have 2 grown children and 1 adorable granddaughter. Anyway I am going shooting tomorrow.

novaDAK
July 6, 2008, 09:47 PM
I still have a tin band-aid box. Still holds band-aids. I just refill it when it gets low :)

sixgunner455
July 6, 2008, 10:44 PM
Steve's a bit older than me, but I remember those boxes, too. Loved them.

I had forgotten the red strings!! I remember how ticked off I would get if the string came loose from the opposite end, or broke, and you're standing there bleeding, usually from a finger, and trying to get the package open. Usually used the pen blade on my jackknife, then.

And it kind of threw me the other day when I opened a bandaid and had to figure out how to get the piddly little pad to cover the wound.

Cmdr. Gravez0r
July 6, 2008, 11:13 PM
I am removed by a generation by the kind of life Steve describes. My grandfather comes from God-fearing country stock, though he is probably a little older than Steve. He settled in the suburbs with my grandmother where they raised their kids, but still got out on the farm all the time. And me...I'm just a city boy.

*sniff.*

sixgunner455
July 6, 2008, 11:16 PM
Odd computer glitch. Nothing to see here.

moosehead
July 7, 2008, 01:29 AM
Ahh, the good old days... I must be getting old!
I too remember the tin Band-Aid Boxes, and the Mercurochrome (it hurt less than iodone, don't ya know. Another good, albeit somber use for those boxes, pet burials. In the backyard of the house I grew up in, there are a few of those old tin Band-Aid boxes buried with the remains of 3 hamsters and 1 box turtle.
Jim

sanglant
July 7, 2008, 03:22 PM
if you watch close walmart still has the band-aid tins on occasion:D

cracked butt
July 7, 2008, 03:52 PM
I used them for holding nightcrawlers and a few spare hooks and splitshots when fishing.

They had their uses, but for most things I prefer the miracle space-age containers that are zip-locks.

Simms65
July 7, 2008, 04:32 PM
Novelty pirate Band-aids still come in tins. :D

Dave Markowitz
July 7, 2008, 04:48 PM
At 40, I'm old enough to remember tin band aid boxes, and the string in the band aid wrapper. Don't have any but I think my parents have one left.

I have on my desk a Baccarat cigar tin which is 4.25" long x 2.25" wide x 1" tall. It held 8 "Connies." About the size of a tin band aid box but it hinges open along one long side.

I need to pick up another one. Then, I can fill them with stuff like a Victorinox Classic, some twine, safety pins, and even a few band aids. Then I can give them to my little girls.

Thanks again for sharing, Steve.

.cheese.
July 7, 2008, 04:54 PM
I remember those. It's been a while though.

Stevie-Ray
July 8, 2008, 02:09 AM
I too remember the tin Band-Aid Boxes, and the Mercurochrome (it hurt less than iodone, don't ya know. And hurt WAY less than Merthiolate!:what:

XDKingslayer
July 8, 2008, 09:22 AM
I used the tin bandaid cans to hold my toilet paper when I was hunting. Put the bumwad in a sandwich bag then put it in the tin can. Made it easy to find in my pack.

and the string in the band aid wrapper.

THOSE I do not miss. They always did the same thing. You had your thumb or pointer finger on your right hand damn near cut off, either of which was necessary to pull the flippin' string to begin with. So you'd try using your left hand (if you're right handed) and you'd end up with nothing but a string or the string would rip the package halfway open then pull out...

bogie
July 8, 2008, 01:03 PM
Ah... and what I miss already, and it isn't even dead yet...

Film cans... The metal ones were nice, but the little plastic jobbies were great for small parts.

Thing is, as I get older, I find I have an ample supply of old prescription bottles...

James T Thomas
July 8, 2008, 01:40 PM
Before the past becomes dim...

This brings to mind: the tin of aspirin, the small, wooden match box, tooth powder, pocket combs with protective sheath, shoe laces that do not fray for months on end, undershirts with neck collars that last, single and double edged razor blades, my wife adds the large size hair curlers,
the handkerchief, and way far from the subject; except it too is impossible to find, is the lifetime durable manual geared can opener!

Much of today is new and improved, however, some things are just hard to improve on.

CajunBass
July 8, 2008, 02:07 PM
I too remember those tin band-aid boxes. They held a lot of fishing tackle in my youth, when I was "prowling that old pond" as mother called it. She was convinced that I would "get hit by a truck," "bit by a snake" or "drowned to death in that old pond." Somehow or other, I managed to avoid all three fates.

Then for years I used Skoal Bandit cans for all that little stuff. Plastic boxes that snapped tight shut. Not as nostalgic as Band-Aid boxes, but I seldom threw one away. If I didn't need it someone else would.

Then when I quit dipping I thought I'd lost my source of neat storage boxes and cans. Then I got an air rifle. Did you know that Daisy puts air rifle pellets in the neatest little screw top, "tin can?" About the size of a Skoal can, but metal with a screw top. Getchaself some. :D

arthurcw
July 8, 2008, 02:25 PM
I too remember the tin Band-Aid Boxes, and the Mercurochrome (it hurt less than iodone, don't ya know.

And hurt WAY less than Merthiolate!

I haven't thought of Monkey Blood in years!

*sniff*

pbearperry
July 8, 2008, 02:28 PM
I miss those tin boxes too,but I really miss the old aluminum ice cube trays that had the handle to break them up and dump them out.I hate the plastic ones.

Husker1911
July 8, 2008, 03:18 PM
And hurt WAY less than Merthiolate!Man, when Mom daubed that stuff, we'd be puckered and blow like hell on the cut, to slightly alleviate the sting!

I've fond memories of accompanying my older brother, on special winter afternoons, to the local pond to cut some ice with an axe. When he had a couple big bushel baskets full (remember bushel baskets?), we'd return home and Dad would crank the ice cream maker handle, and the ice was placed, in chunks, around the perimeter of the device. Salt was sprinkled onto the ice, to increase the melting.

Yum, home-made ice cream the old-fashioned method!

sixgunner455
July 15, 2008, 04:49 PM
Quote:
I too remember the tin Band-Aid Boxes, and the Mercurochrome (it hurt less than iodone, don't ya know.

And hurt WAY less than Merthiolate!

No, mom, no!! AAAAAHHHH!!!

Hated that stuff.

pingpingping
July 15, 2008, 05:18 PM
I think what sm is trying to say is that as goes the band-aid box, so goes the moral fabric of our society. I could be wrong.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tin Band-Aid Boxes." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!