Went knifeless for second time I can remember.

PDA

rcmodel
July 6, 2008, 02:52 PM
I had jury duty last week.
SO I left my Benchmade 710 in the truck, and ran into a metal detector at the courthouse door.

The gruff 275 pound Sheriffs deputy told me in no uncertain terms my little bitty 2 1/2" Swiss Army knife was a weapon, and could not be brought into the courthouse. So, another 1/4 mile march across the parking lot to lock it in the truck with the Benchmade.

Got me to thinking that the last time I could remember being totally knifeless was at the Ft. Jackson Basic Training reception center in 1962.
They took my little two-blade Case away, but gave it back a day or so later!

Before that, it must have been 60 years ago, when I was 4 years old and just too little to have a pocket knife.

I felt truly naked without at least a small pocket knife!
I mean, what if I had a sudden urge to clean my fingernails while waiting almost two hours for jury selection to begin?

rcmodel

If you enjoyed reading about "Went knifeless for second time I can remember." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tank mechanic
July 6, 2008, 03:35 PM
Last time I went completely knifeless was in basic. I can remember four million times when I was doing something that a knife would come in handy( opening MREs, cutting tape and straps and so on) and I was pretty mad that I couldn't have one. So after graduation I bought a tiny little flat gerber knife from the px that I kept we me at all times for AIT(school), even though we were still not allowed to have them. It came in handy almost everyday and I was surprised that no one noticed me using it.

rcmodel
July 6, 2008, 03:41 PM
Yea!

I always wondered about the fuzzy logic of taking my little pocket knife, in exchange for an M-14 & Bayonet!

And then teaching me how to kill people with both of those, or my bare hands!

rcmodel

bikerdoc
July 6, 2008, 03:43 PM
I can relate
Had to fly to Denver in Oct, first time since I cant remember without a weapon of some sort. My basis was in 66. I gave the TSA guy an attitude said "You know Im the kind of person you want on the plane if something goes wrong"
Hos answer was "Yes Sir Im sure you are , have a nice flight"
Landed six hour later feeling naked, I went and bought a folder and then gave it to my host when I left

tank mechanic
July 6, 2008, 03:53 PM
I always wondered about the fuzzy logic of taking my little pocket knife, in exchange for an M-14 & Bayonet!

I also couldn't understand the logic when ever we would get on the plane to deploy. Put your knives in your checked luggage!:D No knives on the plane! And soldier after soldier would board the plane with rifles, M204s and SAWs. There is probably a nylon rope somewhere on the plane that holds the wings to the fuselage and they don't want a bored soldier to cut it on the flight.:)

EHCRain10
July 6, 2008, 05:22 PM
my father is a lawyer and i have to visit him in courthouses often so i have taken a blank key and put a decent edge on it so that I am not completely knifeless. Isnt good for much more than opening packages or cleaning my finger nails but if you have to go into secure areas often it might work for you cuz they wont take your keys away from you

The Tourist
July 6, 2008, 06:15 PM
Knifeless! Such communist propoganda, foolhardy doctrine!

Yikes, I went to the gym about two hours ago with a Razel in my shorts. How am I even supposed to eat?

Carl Levitian
July 6, 2008, 08:43 PM
Hint; take a single flake of obsidian or flint in your pocket. Its sharp enough to skin something with, and it's non-metalic. It can do most anything a small pen knife will do.

Pax Jordana
July 7, 2008, 01:04 AM
A stout ballpoint pen is good for cutting tape if you're stabby enough.

What about nail clippers (with the little dipsydoodle for cleaning and that stupid little file)? is courthouse security as bad as the TSA?

Last I had jury duty, I had to improvise with reappropriated cafeteria supplies. Hey, if I can't bring tools in I'll make tools :)

JTW Jr.
July 7, 2008, 01:09 AM
I went to the gym about two hours ago with a Razel in my shorts.

watching those young ladies on the stairmaster's will do that to ya ;)

The Tourist
July 7, 2008, 01:48 AM
watching those young ladies on the stairmaster's will do that to ya

Ya' know, I realized that someone was going to jump on that line the moment I hit the "submit reply" option.

The point is that I am taking these ridiculously sharp Razels everywhere. I'm putzing with a freshly polished one now.

When Josh makes my folder, I will probably never be without one, ever.

theken206
July 7, 2008, 02:00 AM
at the king county superiour court you can bring in a folder of certain link and they will would onto it for ya

Huckle2
July 8, 2008, 09:10 AM
I bet after carrying that 710 you certainly felt "naked" with out it as it is not something you would use as a toothpick! I have a 710 and the little brother, 705. Visited Canada a couple weeks ago and left by Benchmade 812 at home, felt very strange without it. First thing I did once I got home, put it back in my pocket. I could have checked it, but didn't want to risk losing it with my luggage! :eek:

ravencon
July 8, 2008, 05:57 PM
The gruff 275 pound Sheriffs deputy told me in no uncertain terms my little bitty 2 1/2" Swiss Army knife was a weapon, and could not be brought into the courthouse. So, another 1/4 mile march across the parking lot to lock it in the truck with the Benchmade.
Even in Massachusetts the courts have a provision for you to check weapons upon entering a courthouse. In some courthouses that means your gun or knife gets put in a desk drawer in other courthouses they have individual lockers.

I'm always a bit surprised when I hear of another state that is even worse than here.:eek:

JohnMcD348
July 8, 2008, 11:25 PM
When I have to go into places like that I always make certain I have a full metal Ball point pen with me. In a pinch it can be used for a weapon. ALso, it can be used to open packages to a certain degree, also, I have my keys with me that can be used for saw cutting if needed. I know my house key works really well for that job.

rodregier
July 14, 2008, 09:59 PM
A few years ago (but after 9/11) a Canadian airline still issued metal (dull-ish) knives as part of the dining flatware. I speculated if the Mensa candidates running security would react to bringing a sharpening stone or similar on board...

Voodoochile
July 14, 2008, 10:27 PM
The last time I was totally knifeless was when the missus & I took a flight to Vegas for a wedding.
Man I felt like as though I had lost my best friend during the whole time I was there & the only solice I had was I found a spot to acquire me a cheap folder to keep in my pocket during our stay.
Left it with the Bell Clerk when I was leaving to come back home.

Kings Dominion here is totally Stalag 13 with no knives or anything that is a weapon & check you at the gate, needless to say I try my best to have a good reason to not go to that CROWDED H*** HOLE.

kBob
July 14, 2008, 11:07 PM
I went through basic in 1973 at Knox. They made a big deal about no knives and had us dump everythingin our pockets into little bothes on tables with everyone facing out.

I pulled out everything but my used demo knife with paracord wrist loop on it and then showed it breifly to the inspecting two NCOs before dropping it back into my pocket. One nodded and the other just walked on.

Did loose it in AIT at Polk as in sat it on my footlocker stood up to get a bouse from my wall locker and it was mysteriously gone. Wierd thing was that evening as I cleared ground for a pup tent I found a little two bladed Tree that I kept for about a decade be fore it wondered off.

Went to the court house last year to see a lady about my lead like right foot and my certificate of completion from a driver's safety course and was careful to drop the Spiderco and a little Rhino (from when they were japanese) lock blade in the side pocket of the truck.

You know after twelve or thirteen years slipping a Leatherman on your belt becomes pure habit. They took it but were nice enough to give it back.

-Bob Hollingsworth

If you enjoyed reading about "Went knifeless for second time I can remember." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!