Remmy, Bushy, shotty, Winny, etc.....

PDA

mtngunr
July 6, 2008, 06:08 PM
what's with the baby-talk names for guns, nowdays?.....is this some hangover from text-message lazy young typists, or what? Truly don't understand it....to take what is often perceived as a manly-man masculine persuit, and turn it into effeminate baby-talk....please explain?....I never see women shooters posting of shotties and Winnies....are they more manly? (wink).......(seriously, you women shooters have my highest respect, and we wouldn't have plinking were it not for Plinky Topperwein, better half of the Ad Topperwein team...and I bet she wouldn't have called a 12ga a shotty, either).....

If you enjoyed reading about "Remmy, Bushy, shotty, Winny, etc....." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
psyopspec
July 6, 2008, 06:13 PM
I don't use the slang terms you're talking about, but they don't bother me either. I know a few people who are annoyed to no end by them. I can assure you the nicknames have been around a lot longer than cell phones and "txting." And you're right, I don't think "shottie" is a term the Topperweins would have been apt to throw around.

R.W.Dale
July 6, 2008, 06:15 PM
this some hangover from text-message lazy young typists, or what?

If that were the case they would use the proper abbreviations. Rem, Sav, Win ect ect.

Jorg Nysgerrig
July 6, 2008, 06:17 PM
You're not alone. There have been several threads mentioning this exact thing. In most cases, it seems to simply be a convenient "tell" that someone's shooting experience is rooted in online forums and video games.

shevrock
July 6, 2008, 06:19 PM
I don't text or anything, but i will use "shotty". Mostly because i game alot. It's easier to say "I picked up the shotty let me go in the room first" the say the actual name of the gun. sometimes i use it in real life, but not to often.

jnyork
July 6, 2008, 06:21 PM
Not to mention Annies, pills (for bullets) etc. Will we now have Smitties and Wessies, M1 Garannies, Savvies, and even Colties? Doesnt really bother me, just seems very juvenile.

mtngunr
July 6, 2008, 06:30 PM
krochus brings up a good point, and I do know some older Winchester collectors who love their Winnies....it doesn't especially bug me, just baffles me....suppose I could just chalk it up to guys affectionately applying diminutive/feminine names to a favorite....truly didn't know this had been discussed before, and not trying to be a language Nazi....just didn't get it......

shevrock
July 6, 2008, 06:34 PM
I know i'm still looking for a name for my shotgun. she's a pretty lady :)

General Geoff
July 6, 2008, 06:34 PM
There are lots of nicknames for almost any proper nomenclature, it's not limited to firearms. These "baby name" abbreviations are just a few of the more childish-sounding ones.

I've been known to call my shotgun a "scattergun," my polymer pistol a "bottom feeder," and my revolver a "wheelgun," and those are all nicknames as well. They're just different, that's all.

Keegan
July 6, 2008, 06:39 PM
I'm not sure I understand the big fuss; they're just nicknames. Is the issue that these particular names do not convey the grave tone with which we should speak of firearms?

El Tejon
July 6, 2008, 06:44 PM
Hip hop.

Grey_Mana
July 6, 2008, 07:00 PM
Little Heller.

mtngunr
July 6, 2008, 07:38 PM
Keegan, I'm quite sure a pink pistols member wouldn't see the big fuss....as a matter of fact, I don't see a big fuss at all, was simply asking for theories.......

mtngunr
July 6, 2008, 07:47 PM
Shevrock, I've got one gun with a name, named after a friend who talked me into the caliber, the friend a retired Texas State Highway Patrol and Texas Ranger....it's a 32-20 Browning 53, and his Texas Ranger card resides in an augered-out hole under the steel buttplate along with a note naming the gun and why.....pick a good one, masculine or feminine, so long as it has meaning......

The Lone Haranguer
July 6, 2008, 07:58 PM
The names are rather silly (along with those little stick figures representing family members stuck on car windows), but they don't bother me ... certainly not to the point of starting a rant about them. ;)

shdwfx
July 6, 2008, 07:58 PM
Wook at da widdle Bushy-Wooshy.
Does hims wants a lighty-wighty and an eotechy or a big boy ACOG-y?
Yes hims does!

Here comes de MAGPUL maggie! Raaaarrowooarrararoaorr! Woop!
There it goes.
That's a good Bushy!
Eat all those FMJs and you'll gwoah up big and stwong like big bwother, M1a. :neener:

Ok I'll stop. Yes, I'm making myself sick too. :barf:

The Lone Haranguer
July 6, 2008, 08:06 PM
Wook at da widdle Bushy-Wooshy.
Does hims wants a lighty-wighty and an eotechy or a big boy ACOG-y?
Yes hims does!

:scrutiny: OK, now I'm starting to get annoyed.

Ragnar Danneskjold
July 6, 2008, 08:13 PM
Being lazy is not the sole domain of the young, nor is being sensible exclusive to being old.

Deanimator
July 6, 2008, 08:14 PM
A lot of this infantile buffoonery oozes out of the United Kingdom. I've seen them refer to football (soccer) as "footy". It makes my skin crawl. Every time some simpering Brit anti-gunner in usenet refers to someone having a firearm as being "tooled", that earns him a double strength face ripping from me. All of this manages to be simultaneously infantile and effeminate, the two adjectives most appropriate in describing contemporary British society, whose members are both advised not to assist crime victims and to discard table knives with sharp points.

If Boy George owned a shotgun, I have absolutely no doubt that he'd call it a "shotty"...

Corporal K
July 6, 2008, 08:25 PM
"Shotty" is asinine.

acdodd
July 6, 2008, 08:38 PM
I hate all of those moronic names. :cuss:
I don't understand what people are trying to convey by using stupid names like shotty, remmy, & winny. Maybe it makes them feel special.
Yes it is one of my pet peeves.
AC

Keegan
July 6, 2008, 08:45 PM
So much hate in here. :uhoh:

Stevie-Ray
July 6, 2008, 08:46 PM
:neener:By God, I actually saw somebody refer to his Bushmaster Dissipator as his Bushy Dissy.:barf:

Rembrandt
July 6, 2008, 08:50 PM
Schools gave up trying to teach illiterates how to use and spell 4-to-5 syllable words.....as a result, this is what we got.

Dumpster Baby
July 6, 2008, 08:55 PM
Pvt. Pyle and "Charlene".

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews9/full-metal-jacket/full-metal-jacket-PDVD_00901.jpg

Kentak
July 6, 2008, 09:05 PM
LOL. Of all the things to bitch about, this was it?

JohnBT
July 6, 2008, 09:20 PM
"they're just nicknames."

Just not very good ones.

John

mtngunr
July 6, 2008, 10:07 PM
Keegan, just because someone takes the entire scripture rather than just cherry-picking what feels good, doesn't mean they hold one speck of hate in their heart....sorrow for those so mislead, but no hatred....I would suggest you read ALL of Paul's letters such as Romans 1:24-27, rather than just quote a paragraph which you seem to feel should embolden you to advertise youself as a pink pistol member.....now, back to the subject which has already gotten out of hand and which I'll now ignore like a good internet poster...(wink)....

Keegan
July 6, 2008, 10:10 PM
Allllllllllrighty then.:confused:

mtngunr
July 6, 2008, 10:22 PM
Kentak, it certainly is a better subject than another Obama-cide, no? (wink)....I hate only unthinking rants, and if you ever catch me "bitching" or ranting, be sure to call me on it.....

Aaryq
July 6, 2008, 10:55 PM
You folks are getting so upset over words. Are my words hurting you? If I speak of my shotgun as a shotty, how does it hurt you? I rarely play video games and I don't spend an ungodly amount of time on internet forums. I despise texting. I don't see the point about all of this.

Shotty
Shotty
Shotty

If that caused harm to any one of you, please let me know.

mtngunr
July 6, 2008, 10:59 PM
owie!
owie!
owie!

Another shut-up reply...sigh....the standard nuclear reply being "oh, YEAH!?", or, "your mother wears combat boots!".....

bogie
July 6, 2008, 11:06 PM
we lazy typists, dude.

The Swede
July 6, 2008, 11:14 PM
What is with all of ...... the dots? A regular period would work. Also, what is up with using commas in the wrong spots? Some of us Young txt idiots know how to use proper punctuation. Some of us also know that you capitalize the first word in a sentence.

bogie
July 6, 2008, 11:15 PM
izzaboomstickanyway.

dmazur
July 7, 2008, 01:40 AM
Oh, I can tolerate the nicknames. Eventually, I'll read enough to put 2 + 2 together and come up with an answer.

Also, most posts are in paragraphs, made up of sentences which generally end with a period. The ones that are run-on make it more of a challenge, but eventually I can wade through the whole thing.

My silly question is, does the use of abbreviations, lack of punctuation, and run-on sentence use make it easier for the OP to read? I mean, does he prefer replies in the same format as his question?

I probably sound old-fashioned, but I believe some effort is appreciated on the other end of a person's writing.

SuperNaut
July 7, 2008, 01:50 AM
What about gunny?

Those Marines, buncha baby-talkin', "y" addin', milky-lickers. ;)

CSG
July 7, 2008, 02:20 AM
I get rather tired of hearing about "this puppy" or "this bad boy". People that talk like this sound like idiots to me, sorry.

Of course, I've been known to refer to my 442 as a snubby...

If you enjoyed reading about "Remmy, Bushy, shotty, Winny, etc....." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!