UK: 14,000 knife victims a year

PDA

sacp81170a
July 6, 2008, 08:01 PM
"14,000 knife victims a year"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/14000-knife-victims-a-year-860857.html

Knife violence in Britain is far worse than official statistics suggest, with almost 14,000 people taken to hospital for injuries caused by knives and other sharp weapons last year.

According to the latest Department of Health statistics, an average of 38 victims of knife wounds are admitted to accident and emergency departments across the country every day.

An analysis of hospital admissions data for England and Wales by the IoS revealed that assaults and injuries from knives and sharp implements, together with sword and dagger injuries, resulted in 12,340 people being admitted last year – 446 of whom were no older than 14. This is an increase of 19 per cent on the 10,372 admissions five years ago. The latest figures from Northern Ireland and Scotland bring the total number of victims in Britain to 13,795 each year.

Dr Tunji Lasoye, A&E consultant at King's College Hospital, London said: "In a nutshell the numbers of stab victims coming into A&E have gone up. It used to be that we would see isolated cases at weekends, but now it is nearly every day of the week. And the age of the victims has gone down. We used to see people in their early 20s; now they are in their mid-teens. And 10 per cent of the victims we see now are girls, which wasn't the case four or five years ago."

The latest statistics from hospitals in England alone highlight an 88 per cent jump in the number of children suffering stab wounds – from 95 in 2002-03 to 179 in 2006-07. And among 16- to 18-year-olds, there has been a 75 per cent rise from 429 to 752.

New figures provided to the IoS under the Freedom of Information Act highlight how the number of people being prosecuted by magistrates for possessing knives has rocketed up from the 4,489 in 1997, the year Labour came to power. By 2006, that figure had jumped to 7,699.

Most were not jailed, with just 14 per cent ending up in prison for little more than three months on average. Suspended sentences leapt from nine in 1997 to 552 in 2006.

The revelations undermine claims by the Home Secretary, Jacqui Smith, last week that knife crime "is not more serious than it has been previously".

Government assurances are based on results from the British Crime Survey, which has recorded "knife-enabled crime" as remaining stable at between 5-8 per cent of all violent crimes in the past decade.

But a report by the Centre for Crime and Justice Studies at King's College appears to confirm the IoS findings, noting that knife crime "suffers from a lack of research on the nature, extent, cause, motivation, frequency and possible growth of knife carrying".

London remains the centre of what is increasingly viewed as a nationwide epidemic. Fatal stabbings of teenagers in London total 14 since the start of the year. In total, 18 have been murdered, compared with 27 for the whole of last year.

The capital accounted for more than a third of all under-16s taken to hospital with stab wounds last year, and has seen numbers of teenagers needing treatment rise from 139 in 2002-03 to 324 in 2006-07.

Hundreds of people were due to attend a rally held early this morning in Islington, north London, where one of the most recent victims, 16-year-old Ben Kinsella, was stabbed to death last Sunday. Yesterday it emerged that the youngster had written a letter to Gordon Brown as part of his schoolwork, warning that knife violence was becoming "part of our culture".

Detectives continue their investigation into the knife murder of 16-year-old Shakilus Townsend in south London last Thursday.

In response to growing public concern about knife crime, the Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo) will issue new guidance tomorrow, calling on all forces and crown prosecutors to charge anyone over 16 caught in illegal possession of a knife. This will extend to under-16s already "known" to the police.

Acpo wants hospitals to notify police of all patients with stab wounds, in the same way that they do with gunshot victims. The police now want to use hospital records to identify knife-crime hotspots.

Campaigners calling for tough action were not impressed by the Met's announcement on Friday that just 75 officers – a fraction of its 30,000 strength – will run a new taskforce against knife crime across London's 32 boroughs.

Lynn Costello, co-founder of Mothers Against Murder and Aggression, said: "We have to get tough. We've let our kids get away with murder for years and now they are literally getting away with murder – or think they can."

Additional reporting by Brian Brady and Andrew Johnson

How do you regain control in a society that has effectively denied self defense to law abiding citizens? It would be easy to say restore gun rights and the right to defend oneself, but it simply wouldn't be pulled off overnight. I don't want to turn this into a slamfest against the UK, but rather to spark discussion. Reviving a gun culture would seem to be an almost impossible task. Given the task of remedying the state of affairs described in the article, what's a reasonable course of action?

If you enjoyed reading about "UK: 14,000 knife victims a year" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GlowinPontiac
July 6, 2008, 08:15 PM
Even if they start now it will take decades to overturn the UK's innumerable weapons laws.
When the peoples mindset has degraded to the point that the criminal has more rights than the victim there is sadly not much that can be done without a radical change in the government.

I'm sure the UK will enact a new set of laws to ban any and all knives so that the criminal will just use something else as a weapon.

Gunnerpalace
July 6, 2008, 08:30 PM
How do you regain control in a society

You don't, England is in the death spiral, THR's from there need to exfill while they still can.

Husker1911
July 6, 2008, 08:35 PM
sacp81170a
How do you regain control in a society that has effectively denied self defense to law abiding citizens? Install more cameras, obviously.

::sarcasm::

TallPine
July 6, 2008, 08:37 PM
Well, what I want to know is how many are hurt and killed by spears "twice as long as a man" ???

Anybody wanna take a stab at answering that question? ;)

LAR-15
July 6, 2008, 08:38 PM
They should just ban knives and be done with it.

Picard
July 6, 2008, 09:06 PM
They know they can't ban knives. Eventually they'll have to control the crime problem at the source since it seems they've exhausted all the other options.

pyle
July 6, 2008, 09:14 PM
If we weren't reading about knives it would be about "heads bashed in by stones" - then they would ban stones. Most of those folks are so brainwashed against guns and self-defense - I truly believe they think human beings are supposed to be sheep - it's very sad......

Standing Wolf
July 6, 2008, 11:18 PM
Install more cameras, obviously.

Funniest thing I've heard in days.

Fburgtx
July 6, 2008, 11:40 PM
When they ban the knives, then the criminals will start using cricket bats. Then, it will be heavy/thick-soled boots that they ban.

Men have been perpetrating violence on one another for thousands of years. I don't expect it to end anytime soon...

Evenflo76
July 6, 2008, 11:41 PM
They should just ban Hands. That way...

protolith
July 7, 2008, 12:26 AM
They know they can't ban knives.

Unfortunately they already have!!! I ***** you not!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article3181965.ece

Anyone caught carrying a blade will be prosecuted and will not be allowed to escape with a caution under a crackdown on knife crime promised by Gordon Brown.

“There are boundaries you cannot cross and one is this country’s zero tolerance on knives. It is neither cool nor does it make you safer to carry a knife. We must ease people’s fears. They deserve freedom from fear about their safety on the streets.”

If it didn't say "the times", I'd swear this was the Onion. Very very sad but true.

They now have knife bans that are almost as bad as the DC gun ban (at least thats been neutered) Chefs have to carry their knifes in locked boxes of face a dangerous weapons charge!

I'm sure our friends from the near east will be chiming in soon with their take on these things.

When I first heard about knife bans in the UK, I knew there would soon be headlines about "knife crime being out of control!" and here it is, all part of a panic driven cycle that can only lead to a nanny state of the most ridiculous proportions.

I swear if someone doesn't put a stop to it the UK will be a nation using plastic sporks and round end scissors, while asking for hall passes to move around their supposed "Free" country.

This sort of thing makes me throw up a little in my mouth every time someone says "it so much better in Europe, I wish it was more like that here."

/rant

Macpherson
July 7, 2008, 01:09 AM
Recently the prospects of visiting the UK have dropped down on my list of places I'd like to visit someday...It really is a shame that this is one or two generations removed from Churchill and the Blitz...they have fallen so far in a short time; cameras on every street corner, TV registration, heck even the Soviets weren't that bad.

dm1333
July 7, 2008, 01:14 AM
according to World Factbook the population of the UK (England, Scotland, Wales) was just under 61 million in 2007.

Cuda
July 7, 2008, 01:40 AM
When the average Brit finally gets fed up where will the next group of pilgrams go??

It's to bad but the UK is turning into what it was like when the Kings and Queens ruled..

C

Husker1911
July 7, 2008, 01:43 AM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c248/Husker1911/Sendagun.gif

It's sad to note how quickly the UK has long since forgotten their dire need, as the Blitz wore on, and they girded for defense of their very shores. Arms were in extremely short supply, and good citizens of America organized efforts to collect donated weapons from American sportsmen.

It's also sad to note those same weapons, donated to keep Hitler's wolves from the doorway of the British Isles, have long since been destroyed by a government bent on creating a nation of capons.

gallo
July 7, 2008, 01:44 AM
The highest percentage jump in knife attacks, per the article, happened in the under 18 populations, which gun ban or not are too young to own a firearm.

LightningJoe
July 7, 2008, 01:45 AM
If you want a serious answer, they can get a lot of the problem fixed by building prisons and filling them. Crime is always and everywhere a consequence of the presence of criminals. Remove the criminals by means of long-term incarceration, and the crime will go away.

America has the highest rate of incarceration in the world and we need it. Without that our country would be a hellhole with or without the 2nd Amendment. Guns will only get you so far.

Britain needs a much higher incarceration rate.

Now, if they could increase the respect for marriage, decrease illegitimacy, eliminate public drunkness, start believing in God, and pry their sorry asses off the couch, they could do with far fewer prisons. But that's asking too much.

The Tourist
July 7, 2008, 01:55 AM
Obviously there is something wrong in that country, and the injuries are no laughing matter. However, I'm not sure that their experience is truly different from our own.

Guns, their proper use and CCW permits are very important to staunch members of THR. However, that's not the norm. Most people in states with "shall issue" laws never apply for a license. Clearly, half of the population doesn't own a gun of any kind.

I live in Wisconsin, the worst of both conditions. We have no CCW permits, and not everyone hunts. Madison is often referred to as "25 square miles surrounded by reality."

I carry superior cutting tools because that's my trade. Virtually any person I meet is at a disadvantage. The best they have is "harsh language."

In effect, the circumstances of my average day replicate that of England.

The bottom line is Gov. Jim Doyle with his head in the sand. And like England, you can snow him under with police info, ER statistics and pictures of the victims, and the political agenda always seems to win out over flesh and blood.

HK G3
July 7, 2008, 02:03 AM
How do you regain control in a society that has effectively denied self defense to law abiding citizens?

Call this guy obviously:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/ZendoDeb/misc/V_for_Vendetta.jpg

But seriously, the English need to make some very serious changes in their society before the social decay becomes too much for their society.

H088
July 7, 2008, 02:06 AM
Now, if they could increase the respect for marriage, decrease illegitimacy, eliminate public drunkness, start believing in God, and pry their sorry asses off the couch, they could do with far fewer prisons. But that's asking too much.

Because clearly religion brings out the best in people!!!!!!!!!!!!!

La Pistoletta
July 7, 2008, 05:02 AM
Ttt, Europe...

<---

Oh shi-

Leitmotif
July 7, 2008, 05:38 AM
Hk G3 - you got his number? 'Cause no-one seems to be answering when I call...

(Incidentally, if you'd read the graphic novel then you might have some severe misgivings about calling V... ;) )

Hoplophile
July 7, 2008, 05:39 AM
That Mothers Against Murder And Aggression group is very scary:

Some friends and I are launching a campaign to try & reduce the number of knives being carried on the streets. We want the police to have carte blanche to stop & search & anyone carrying a knife without a very good reason is imprisoned for 3 years. How else can we stop this ever-increasing problem? Every 24 minutes someone is knifed in this country. If they have nothing to hide they have nothing to fear. Can we have your support on this please and of course your comments are needed. - From http://www.mamaa.org/new060208.html

This strikes me as...very faulty logic.

La Pistoletta
July 7, 2008, 05:43 AM
I guess they'll have to fistfight their attackers from now on. Hopefully the only violent criminals will be old grandmothers.

Not likely, though. Oh and they just might wear knives anyway while the innocents don't, hmm...

I vote for more cameras.

tuckerdog1
July 7, 2008, 05:45 AM
Soon, everything short of harsh language will be illegal. And everything will be swell. Just wait & see:D

Tuckerdog1

NeoSpud
July 7, 2008, 09:03 AM
Soon, everything short of harsh language will be illegal.

What makes you think they won't go after harsh language?

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words hurt my feelings so you should be fined 500 pounds for my emotional distress....

La Pistoletta
July 7, 2008, 09:16 AM
It's already illegal to criticize certain religions here.

Frankly I think many Americans aren't aware of just how unique their 1st Amendment really is. Or 2nd, for that matter.

Irwin
July 7, 2008, 09:48 AM
Now, if they could increase the respect for marriage, decrease illegitimacy, eliminate public drunkness, start believing in God, and pry their sorry asses off the couch, they could do with far fewer prisons. But that's asking too much. How is forcing people to belive in something they dont belive in going to help us? Whats that wrong with public drunkenness? Ive been out tonnes of times since I turned 18 and never seen a fight or got in one (cept if you count me giving me mate a right hook) Prisons are currently over crowded, what needs done is getting rid of the human rights act as most of the time it is used against the prisons if we built a few more prisons and actually handed out hefter sentences and made prison hard, insstead of earning money and having tv's and ps3's. The state of Britain aint that bad I live in scotland were supposed knife crime is very high ive never been threatened with a knife or heard of anyone who has, just seems like more scaremongering. As for Mothers Against Murder And Aggression group who can actually take there thoughts seriously ok you lost some one due to a knife but get over your self you are no more special than me or my mates in terms of the peccing order. Any one who has been put off coming over here due to this Id serriously suggest you rethink unless you are prone to get really drunk at pubs and start threating folk I think you will be fine, when I went to america everyone was telling me id get shot but geuss what im here infact the only time I seen guns was when my cousin showed me his hunting guns and when the police officer had it on his hip. Alot of you talk about sheep and point the finger at us maybe you should have a look behind the finger? Irwin

LightningJoe
July 7, 2008, 11:16 AM
How is forcing people to belive in something they dont belive in going to help us?

There's no forcing anyone to believe in anything. If only it were that simple. But the "believers" over there will be running the place before this century's out. They just won't be Christian believers.

Religious people (of one sort or another) will always supplant atheists. The autocthonous inhabitants of Europe will emigrate, convert, or fade away. The twenty-first (or at most twenty-second) century wil be the last for European aborigines in several countries: England, France, Italy, Spain, perhaps a few others.

Calibre44
July 7, 2008, 11:39 AM
Sacp8117a wrote: I don't want to turn this into a slamfest against the UK

Well, as usual, that’s exactly what you’ve got – nothing new in any of the posts. We’ve pretty much had most of the usual rhetoric except saving our asses in the war.

The simple answer to knife crime over here isn’t to ban anything but to remove the criminals from the streets. This means building more prisons but the Gov won’t do that because then it would have to admit that it’s idiotic policies don’t work.

Kitchen knifes are not banned nor are steel toe capped boots or screwdrivers. You can carry a knife so long as its blade is not over 3 inches long and not able to lock. This of course makes it more dangerous to the user but then the law is an ass. You can’t carry it for the purpose self defence of course which is where you folks in the States have the advantage.

I live 3 miles from the centre of a large city, which has had deaths in the past from knives and guns, but they are all committed in mostly the same area and usually by the same group of people.

Knife crime is not, repeat not, wide spread across Britain. I have lived here for 50 years and have never seen a knife used in a crime or seen a gun other than at a range or on someone’s premises. I don’t know anyone who has been threatened by a knife or a gun.

Believe it or not but I go about my daily business without any fear for my life. If you want to believe that I have been brainwashed then believe what you want. I can assure you I have not. Cameras are only in our major cities not where the majority of us live. They don’t bother me in the slightest when I am in cities because I’m not a criminal.

Not visiting this country because of media hype is ludicrous. This is a country rich in history and historical buildings and artefacts and has wide diversity of beautiful countryside including mountains and lakes.

If want to have a meaningful debate about Britain why don’t you consider this: I live in Bristol which some argue is the birthplace of America due to John Cabot who, over 500 years ago set sail for Asia aboard the Matthew. He actually arrived on the coast of Newfoundland and therefore was the original discoverer of America, not Christopher Columbus!

Here’s a link (http://www.matthew.co.uk/index.php) in case you’d like to view a working ocean going replica of his ship the Mathew.

TallPine
July 7, 2008, 12:01 PM
The state of Britain aint that bad I live in scotland were supposed knife crime is very high ive never been threatened with a knife or heard of anyone who has, just seems like more scaremongering.

My impression is that most of the violence in Scotland takes place in and around Glasgow, nach eil?.

IOW, pretty much the same situation as the USA where the vast majority of violence is in the big cities.

trueg50
July 7, 2008, 12:16 PM
*stands up* Hi my name is trueg50, and I recently added to the US equivalent of that number by slipping off the wood I was carving, and cut my self. I am a victim of my self, here's my knife.

I don't know if they consider that an accidental discharge, or what, but they really need to ban knives, they are really sharp.

NeoSpud
July 7, 2008, 12:26 PM
Calibre - I don't doubt you for a second; I'm sure the threat of knife crime in the UK is as over-hyped as gun crime in the US. No matter how much the media spins it, the violent crime rates aren't as astronomically high as they'd like us to believe. I personally hope to go sightseeing in the UK sometime in the next year or two, government policies and the media barrage aside.

sacp81170a
July 7, 2008, 12:52 PM
Well, as usual, that’s exactly what you’ve got – nothing new in any of the posts. We’ve pretty much had most of the usual rhetoric except saving our asses in the war.

Too bad. The problem of recovering what's been lost is a very sticky one indeed, and not easily solvable on an internet forum. I guess without a Constitution with an enumerated right to keep and bear arms you're pretty much screwed(as we almost were in the all too close Heller decision). Short of revolt your options appear to be pretty slim. I understand that violent crime is in fact a rarity in most of the UK, but that doesn't help the people in the areas where it's most prevalent. I guess that's why my ancestors emigrated.

:(

The Tourist
July 7, 2008, 01:29 PM
It's already illegal to criticize certain religions here.

Boy you hit the nail there!

I've already told one mod that I do not want any punishment or ban for any member who flames me on pesonal issues. One, I'm a big boy, two, that's how I met the guy who became my best man, and three, in the end we don't learn a whole lot from our fan clubs.

So here's my criticism. I would not like to live in a similar fashion as your average Londonite. Simply, more and more I'm noticing those "little gray smoked globes" which are actually surveillance cameras. I just saw two of them aimed at the cafe section of Borders where I have my latte' and read Blade Magazine.

Having said that, some people like it. A few months ago they installed cameras in the parking lot of The Princeton Club, my gym. The women like it. Frankly, it doesn't even bother me that much.

One could argue that an armed woman doesn't need cameras.

However, if people in London want cameras and metal detectors more than individual freedom, that's their call. I dislike it, but then as an American boy being raised my the WWII generation, I was taught to hate it.

And the Orwell book "1984" scared the Honda parts out of me.

Let me be polite in my discourse, "Englishmen, I disagree."

La Pistoletta
July 7, 2008, 07:03 PM
This describes the situation in the UK and most of Europe (including my own country of residence) well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxpiAtiZx5Q

Rachen
July 7, 2008, 07:23 PM
Some friends and I are launching a campaign to try & reduce the number of knives being carried on the streets. We want the police to have carte blanche to stop & search & anyone carrying a knife without a very good reason is imprisoned for 3 years. How else can we stop this ever-increasing problem? Every 24 minutes someone is knifed in this country. If they have nothing to hide they have nothing to fear. Can we have your support on this please and of course your comments are needed.

O...M...G!!!:eek:

Eerily similar to the Million Moms March over here. Except that the one in UK are against knives.

Wow, this is so eerily coincidental.

camslam
July 7, 2008, 07:54 PM
I feel badly for people in the United Kingdom that would like to own a firearm for defense and carry it responsibly. That being said, obviously that populace hasn't figured it out yet and hopefully at some point they will.

You have to wonder how blind people can be to the facts.

Putting that aside, really we are talking about CRIME control, not gun control or knife control. If you lock up criminals and KEEP them off the streets, a funny thing happens.

THEY DON'T COMMIT CRIMES ON THE GENERAL POPULACE ANYMORE. :banghead:

Kind of amazing isn't it.

Hopefully we'll get more serious about crime control in our country as well.

La Pistoletta
July 7, 2008, 08:38 PM
camslam: to do that you must assert that criminals are truly guilty. That's far from a given to many.

Hardware
July 7, 2008, 09:02 PM
You don't, England is in the death spiral, THR's from there need to exfill while they still can.

Man, that's a long way. I don't think we can stage a Dunkirk to get them out.

Psywarrior13
July 7, 2008, 09:03 PM
I feel badly for people in the United Kingdom that would like to own a firearm for defense and carry it responsibly. That being said, obviously that populace hasn't figured it out yet and hopefully at some point they will.

Sadly I don't think they will figure it out... until it is too late to make a meaningful difference.

Grey54956
July 7, 2008, 10:09 PM
Sad.

I find it funny that more than 60 years after Hitler died trying to bring England and the rest of Europe under the boot of oppressive totalitarian government, he's finally having a bit of success. Way to go Britain!

Seriously, once upon a time, the British were a people to the feared and respected. Now, sadly, they are only to be pitied.

camslam
July 8, 2008, 12:39 AM
Seriously, once upon a time, the British were a people to the feared and respected. Now, sadly, they are only to be pitied.

See that is a tough one for me. I don't want to pity the British because they have been good allies and when I have visited the islands they have been extremely nice hosts.

I don't see much of a difference between the British, New Yorkers, Californians, New Jerseyians, Illinoisians, or in reality all of us as Americans.

People that keep voting in the same types of politicians that pass these sorry laws are the ones to blame. Fortunately the craziness hasn't reached all of us, but when you look at the joke of a Congress we have, you kind of have to wonder if we all shouldn't be included in the pitying.

La Pistoletta
July 8, 2008, 05:07 AM
People that keep voting in the same types of politicians that pass these sorry laws are the ones to blame.

It's more than that, though. It shouldn't even be possible to vote away rights, even if the majority consists of the entire population minus one. Any system that allows such is corrupt.

That's why the US are a constitutional republic instead of a democracy. Lots of domestic terrorists would like to sneak in the concept of democracy to the US, though, by trying to substitute it for the idea of constitutional republic.

Catherine
July 8, 2008, 05:29 AM
How have people in the UK defended themselves against a KNIFE attack if they can't have a gun?

If the victim is not a knife carrier herself or himself, can't pack a gun - open or conceal with all of the anti gun laws, what do they do besides the 'usual tactics'? Lay down, bleed or die?

How do the UK people defend themselves?

Catherine

La Pistoletta
July 8, 2008, 05:35 AM
How do the UK people defend themselves?

They don't. Neither do Swedes.

sacp81170a
July 8, 2008, 05:37 AM
If the victim is not a knife carrier herself or himself, can't pack a gun - open or conceal with all of the anti gun laws, what do they do besides the 'usual tactics'

In my training and experience, the best weapon to counter a knife isn't another knife. Preferably, it's something longer that keeps you out of reach of the knife yet allows you to strike your attacker. In my case, it happened to be a camera at the end of a neckstrap used like a morning star or a mace. A long, flexible weapon like a belt with a large buckle or a stick weapon like a cane are particularly useful. Hopefully those items won't be the subject of the next ban.

For members in the UK: are there laws against carrying a "walking stick" or cane unless you can prove a disability?

Catherine
July 8, 2008, 05:46 AM
Thanks for the information.

Catherine

wristtwister
July 8, 2008, 06:33 AM
They remember how much trouble all those colonists were in America with guns... They practically broke off from England and formed their own country...:what: Imagine the audacity!.. a country based on FREEDOM...

WT

natjan
July 8, 2008, 05:12 PM
For members in the UK: are there laws against carrying a "walking stick" or cane unless you can prove a disability?
No laws against, however it would depend on who was carrying. Example 1, 48 year old gentleman, slightly portly, 5'10", grey suit, brown dress shoes. Example 2, 22 year old man, track suit, gold chain around his neck, 6'2", athletic build. Both of these men get mugged, example 1 cracks the mugger round the head & makes off, the mugger( 5' 8" proportional build, 19 years old first time offender ) get picked up by the police & tells the police he is pressing charges for assault against example 1. The case goes to court, the court finds example 1 had no intention for the cane to be used as a weapon. Example 2 goes to court in the same scenario, but the court finds against ,him, the jury decided that the only reason example 2 was carrying the cane was as a weapon. As you all should know by now, any object that is carried for the express purpose of self defence that can inflict injury to another person is a punishable offence.

Tyris
July 8, 2008, 05:44 PM
Sounds like in england, the police are as much the enemy as the the yobs when it comes to self defense.

Stab the bad guy, then flee the scene. Cool thing about knives is they're quiet.

-T

Irwin
July 8, 2008, 06:05 PM
Sounds like in england, the police are as much the enemy as the the yobs when it comes to self defense.

Stab the bad guy, then flee the scene. Cool thing about knives is they're quiet.

-T

Here we go from uk bashing to leo bashing lol, on the whole the police are generally great guys and gals and you get the odd exception to the rules and England is part of Britain its like only refering to Alabama as America. Irwin

natjan
July 8, 2008, 06:14 PM
Cool thing about knives is they're quiet
Ok, i was at work & in the morning we all have to go to a meeting, well there is only about 7 of us there. After 5-10 minutes other folks start to roll in. We all ask what happened, it seems the police had set up a dragnet on the train station to catch we don't know who. Take into account it is approx 07:20, most of the, no all of the people they stopped were on their way to work & the station is in the middle of nowhere only a bunch of large factories & warehouses. The reason my colleagues were late, the police were taking their names & addresses whilst confiscating their safety knives.
By the way these knives do not have any exposed blades the knife looks like the letter "P" with a tiny gap ( 2mm ) so card & plastic sheet can be cut.

sacp81170a
July 8, 2008, 07:01 PM
As you all should know by now, any object that is carried for the express purpose of self defence that can inflict injury to another person is a punishable offence.

So what could Example 2 carry? I really am curious. I suppose the camera on a strap in my example would pass muster if it were at functional.

The reason my colleagues were late, the police were taking their names & addresses whilst confiscating their safety knives.

By the way these knives do not have any exposed blades the knife looks like the letter "P" with a tiny gap ( 2mm ) so card & plastic sheet can be cut.

Was there any explanation as to why they were confiscating tools?

get picked up by the police & tells the police he is pressing charges for assault against example 1.

I'm really having a hard time wrapping my mind around the concept that a criminal can press charges against his victim for defending himself. Does not compute....

ZombieHunter
July 8, 2008, 08:30 PM
I'm not sure which version of V for Vendetta I liked more...but both were great.

Wow...I'm not sure if I'd want to visit the UK anymore. I used to have such romantic ideas of it and whatnot...but I guess the 1960s UK is long gone and dead. Paul Simon should be sad >.>

Old Grump
July 8, 2008, 09:52 PM
www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-05/bmj-adc052505.php

Will be banned for everybody if the lawmakers can get it passed. They claim they have interviewed professional chefs who assured them that kitchen knives with points have no use in the kitchen. One of the chef's quoted said he never said such a thing and the idea was ludicrous.

Irwin
July 8, 2008, 09:56 PM
Lol nearly fell for lol.

hso
July 8, 2008, 10:33 PM
Well, this one's gone in the dumper.

If you enjoyed reading about "UK: 14,000 knife victims a year" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!