Unusual targets

PDA

Restorer
July 6, 2008, 11:20 PM
Alright, it's time to 'fess up to the weird stuff you shoot. We all need something other than paper, bowling pins, clay targets or plates to inspire us to shoot better. Call it transference, motivation or stress relief if you must, but whatever you call it, sometimes the novelty helps keep it fun.

What prompts me to ask is that today, my wife cleaned out her shoe closet (closet, shelves, chests, etc...lot of shoes) and thus provided lots of material for my shooting pleasure. I confess that my first thought when I saw what she was doing was "I wonder what I can do to that sandal at 25 yards?" I got to spend a lot of money for her shoes, now I can spend more to destroy them in creative ways. This way we both get to wear out her shoes. I love it. Hey, I'm an American....blowing stuff up is in my blood.

In a previous career I worked for a BMW dealer. On my range days (lunch break on Wednesdays) I would buy several of the little stick-on wheel emblems and put them in the 10 ring. Did wonders for my concentration. I was shooting the problem cars by proxy, I guess.

How about it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Unusual targets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NeoSpud
July 6, 2008, 11:28 PM
Russets.

As long as you don't go back to the range for a while (they ripen a bit in the heat), they make for a great, super cheap "reactive" target.

JWarren
July 6, 2008, 11:29 PM
Let's see...

-- Cantelopes. Frozen Cantelope.

- Paint Cans. Filled them with water. I recently painted my house. I have PLENTY.

- Political Signs. I've worked on a few campaigns and had some left over.

- Golf Balls. Hey, its a challenge. Get the used ones at a proshop by the bucket.

That's all the unsual ones I can think of at the moment.

-- John

FieroCDSP
July 6, 2008, 11:38 PM
Did in a 33 1/3 Shaft soundtrack vinyl record once. With a Mosin 91/30, sticky bolt and all. Stuffed animals are fun. I also like to use an SKS to take trees out of season. :evil:

kcshooter
July 6, 2008, 11:41 PM
My old computer was about the most fun I ever had shooting at something. Tower and monitor both.

God that felt good.

RancidSumo
July 6, 2008, 11:42 PM
I try 22 shells but usually fail. It is fun when you get a hit.

Mil-Spec45
July 6, 2008, 11:43 PM
I've seen people blow up propane tanks and running lawn mowers on youtube, but for something safe but fun, I'd say stuff like an old TV or computer monitor, an old car door, a 50 gallon drum filled with whatever you chose (i.e. water), fruits and veggies are always fun, pillows, or action figures.

juk
July 7, 2008, 12:07 AM
1. Computer monitor with buckshot and slugs
2. old pots and pans with the 308, 45, and 22. They all make a nice metallic clang :)
3. Pieces of cinder blocks go to dust when hit
4. I have been known to push an old junky boat in a pond and sink it...
5. Can't forget the door almost blown in half by a new Mossberg 12 ga.

Tomahawk674
July 7, 2008, 12:10 AM
My PC's power supply unit died, so I'm saving it for the range, I just hope it doesn't fragment much for the cleanup.

don
July 7, 2008, 12:35 AM
I love to blast holes in campaign posters; the kind you see stuck in the ground. After the election of course and after I liberate them and take them to the range.

evan price
July 7, 2008, 12:39 AM
For fun, try shooting the keys off of old computer keyboards. Extra points for doing it in alphabetical order. It's great!

General Geoff
July 7, 2008, 12:46 AM
hard drives are a favourite of mine. Hydrogen-filled balloons are also great.

rockinrussky
July 7, 2008, 12:53 AM
Golf balls are fun for handgun practice. Double points if the backstop is sloped and you can keep the ball from rolling all the way back down.

redraidermgr
July 7, 2008, 12:56 AM
Bottle caps off soda bottles. I usually fill the bottle up 3/4 with sand or water to anchor it and set them on the berm. at 25 yards its not that hard but try it at 50 to 100 yards open sighted or at 300 with a scope. It is alot of fun and you really get to test yourself with any caliber you have available. I usually just use 22 it is fun to plink with.

Bonus points if you unscrew it and not destroy it (catch the little ridges on the side and it will spin right off ;) )

Dksimon
July 7, 2008, 01:02 AM
when i was young i would throw an empty pop can as far as i could and shoot it with the BB gun. I wouldnt stop till i cut the can in half.

More recently.

Spent shotgun shells, aim for the primer.

an old filing cabinet

Old desk chair.

Old microwave

old vacuum

anything that is garbage and looks fun to blast

Probasco
July 7, 2008, 01:11 AM
i like helium ballons on 20 ft of string on a windy day. ballons and helium at party stores. bowling balls and pins are good. i actually bought a frying pan set at an action so i could have a good gong.

armoredman
July 7, 2008, 01:14 AM
Cockroach taped to a target. It was a bad day.

jrfoxx
July 7, 2008, 01:17 AM
litle green plastic army men
old laptop
stuffed animals
old dishes
old license plates
cans
old books
spent shotshells
spent (non-reloadable) brass

woolfam
July 7, 2008, 01:22 AM
I like to not have to clean up afterwards. We've used eggs (good reactive target), Ritz crackers (good hits leave bullet holes in them), hard cinnamon candies (hang them by the wrapper and shoot into the wind - a good hit will powder-ize the candy, it will blow back to you and you can smell it).

The most fun we ever had was setting a slop bucket (bait) in front of a honey-smeared target (about 12 - 15 yds away) in the summer and picking off the flies and bees when they landed on the paper. We were using our tricked-out 10/22s. Man, that was fun.

PotatoJudge
July 7, 2008, 01:36 AM
I spent quite a bit of time with a Daisy Red Ryder and some little green army men when I was a kid.
Golf balls are fun. A good hit on the lower 1/3 can really send them flying.
I wonder how a cast iron skillet would do as a gong... (though I'd hate to waste a good bit of cast iron).

bogie
July 7, 2008, 01:45 AM
Acetylene-filled soda bottles.

Cars.

Appliances.

Necco wafters at 300 yards, with money...

sharkhunter2018
July 7, 2008, 01:46 AM
Many things have been dispatched at my range.
- Several computer monitors and towers
- Lots of keyboards.
- Ceramic tiles, as well as art from my old high school. One of my friends used to get any ceramic bowls, pots, vases etc. from the ceramics teacher when we were still there. All of it was stuff that was never claimed by the students. He knew what we were doing with them too. :D
- two dryers and a washer. Would shoot the dials off them.
- One of those stove/microwave oven combos.
- An empty 55 gallon drum. Was already rusted and had a few small holes in it so filling it wasn't going to work.
- A few old mufflers

Probably a bunch of things I am forgetting. I quit taking old junk just because I got tired of cleaning it all up. Now that it is summer, I will have a good load of squash and tomato. The plants produce more than we can eat.
In the spring its always fun sitting in the back yard and shooting the seed heads off of dandelions with a .22. Its a good challenge. Then in the fall, I love shooting the walnuts off the walnut trees behind my house. There are several trees below the house in the backyard and field. Plus there is a mountain directly behind there, so its not like I am shooting up in the air. Among other things, we've shot plastic bottles filled with water, golf balls, political signs, soda cans, frying pans, VCR tapes (its cool seeing the spools fly off and un-wind flying through the air), spent shotgun shells, spent rifle casings, pumpkins.

misANTHrope
July 7, 2008, 01:50 AM
I really want to get some life-size printouts of the King from the BK commercials. I figure that ought to motivate me to really make good shots.

http://blog.clickz.com/archives/king.jpg

chris in va
July 7, 2008, 02:29 AM
No one mentioned Tannerite yet?

mnrivrat
July 7, 2008, 03:38 AM
Dragon Flies !

velobard
July 7, 2008, 08:47 AM
Man, I really need to place to just go shoot "stuff". I spent awhile at the indoor range today, but it's just not the same. That said, I think I had a ricochet from one of my rounds at the end of the range that somehow flipped up and knocked out a flourescent light tube. Oops! I know I wasn't aiming anywhere near that high.

Last month I was invited to a private range, a quarry where the flat rock floor was partially flooded from recent rains. One of the popular things to plink at was golf balls we tossed out in front of the firing line. I got lucky and tiddlywinked one from a couple yards in front of the table, all the way to the mud bank back in the left side of the picture, just clearning the water.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/velobard/P6070018.jpg

Cannonball888
July 7, 2008, 08:50 AM
bowling pins
matchbox cars

Mr White
July 7, 2008, 09:04 AM
I acquired a life sized cardboard cutout of Jeff Gordon several years ago. I'm no big Gordon fan and back then I was what could be considered a Jeff Gordon Anti. Needless to say, the cutout became well perforated.

jrou111
July 7, 2008, 10:27 AM
Milk jugs filled with water.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/jrou111/shooting%208-22-06/th_PICT0236.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/jrou111/shooting%208-22-06/?action=view&current=PICT0236.flv)

Oranges shot with birdshot - they vaporize into orange mist!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/jrou111/shooting%202-2-08/th_0202081629-00.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/jrou111/shooting%202-2-08/?action=view&current=0202081629-00.flv)

Hard drives

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/jrou111/shooting%203-18-06/PICT0003.jpg

Laptops

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/jrou111/shooting%208-22-06/PICT0240.jpg

Oh and of course - computer monitors!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/jrou111/shooting%202-2-08/th_0202081621-00.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/jrou111/shooting%202-2-08/?action=view&current=0202081621-00.flv)

lions
July 7, 2008, 10:39 AM
I recently started shooting paintballs, they give a pretty good splat. I came across a whole mess of them for free but I won't pay for them as targets. I hope I can get more for free soon, I'm running low.

sharkhunter2018
July 7, 2008, 11:31 AM
I acquired a life sized cardboard cutout of Jeff Gordon several years ago. I'm no big Gordon fan and back then I was what could be considered a Jeff Gordon Anti. Needless to say, the cutout became well perforated.

ROFL! Now that you brought that up, I had a poster from a while back. I was young when I got it, so I knew no better. That poster was shot several times with a 12 ga. and then lit on fire :evil: It was very satisfying.

shevrock
July 7, 2008, 11:31 AM
I've got two satelite dishes i shoot at. i had a wooden door i shot at, but i cut it in half. But i always shoot some cans.

kentucky_smith
July 7, 2008, 11:33 AM
The little cheap dum-dum pops. Set up on a board drilled with holes. Shot with a .22, you have immediate feedback. If you've hit it right dead center, the stick will be gone.

Got to go back to mic'ing my .22 rounds now. :D

AmbulanceDriver
July 7, 2008, 11:34 AM
I don't mean to be a spoilsport here, but I have to admit to being perturbed by some of the items that have been shot at before.

I'm by no means a greenie, but I have real problems with a lot of the stuff being shot because it's NEVER CLEANED UP!

I've gone up to BLM land around the Portland area and found old computers, monitors, televisions, refrigerators, CARS, all sorts of crap that has been used as targets, and then NEVER CLEANED UP.

A lot of those places are now OFF LIMITS to shooting because people haven't cleaned up the crap they've left up there. Additionally, as satisfying as shooting that old computer that just kept acting up was, there are some potentially toxic materials in there that if not cleaned up properly will eventually leach into the ground.

Now, to add something positive to this thread, I like shooting the different targets as much as anyone. Punching holes in paper does get old. But I've found that those biodegradable clay pigeons are GREAT targets, especially for first time shooters who get to see their target break apart when they hit it. Another poster mentioned milk jugs filled with water, those are great targets. I like to freeze mine first, they tend to make the target last a little longer than one shot.

All I ask is that if you take it up there with you, and it's not biodegradable, bring it back home for proper disposal. And maybe pick up after your fellow shooters that weren't as considerate. That'll just mean that those public lands will stay open to shooters just a little longer.

hso
July 7, 2008, 11:42 AM
Yep, we should cleanup after ourselves to keep the property we shoot on open to our sport.

That said -

Vanilla Wafers make cheap fun targets.

Heavy rubber dog chew toys (My daughter gave 3 of them to me last birthday and the things take tons of abuse and still hold up well).

Zombie targets! http://zombietargets.net/store/media/z2_store_view.jpg

EHCRain10
July 7, 2008, 11:47 AM
old disc blades work pretty well if you hang them up

JWarren
July 7, 2008, 11:49 AM
One of the fondest memories that I have is following through with a threat that I made to my computer.

I had a Compaq that constantly needed working on. When I say work, I don't mean software issues. I mean PARTS failing.

One day, I said that if this thing dies again, I am going to shoot it.

Well, a couple months later, it did. True to my word, I dragged it out in the yard and shot it a few times with a semi-auto AK-47.

But that's not the fun part....

I then went back in the house and called Dell to order a new computer.

I got an Indian guy in a call center IN India. I calmly stated "Hi, my name is John, and I just shot my computer. I need you to build me a new one."

It set the tone for a unique conversation.

And both my Dells work perfectly.

-- John

CountGlockula
July 7, 2008, 11:53 AM
A guy a the range picked up a box load of toy rats from a garage sale.

bnkrazy
July 7, 2008, 12:47 PM
I shoot at all kinds of things:

Apples, oranges, grapes, melons.
Water bottles, spent 12 ga shell casings, .22lr brass, etc.
Tennis balls are fun and last a long time. I'll have to try golf balls.
Phone books, tree stumps, etc.

Kentucky Kernel
July 7, 2008, 12:48 PM
I put about a tablespoon of baby powder (via a funnel) into a balloon, inflate it, and then use that as a target. One gets a satisfying large POOF of white cloud upon shooting the balloon.

trueg50
July 7, 2008, 12:51 PM
Flea market garbage!

I have a decent sized flea market 5 minutes from my house, so when I go down their every weekend I keep an eye out for .50 cent and $1 ceramic and other "made in china" junk.

I have shot up snow globes (a solid glass one that some how survived 3 .357mag shots at 50 yards), ceramic toys, barbies, just to name a few.

Sheldon J
July 7, 2008, 12:54 PM
Dragon Flies !
Leave them critters alone they eat mosquitoes!
Meanwhile I like to shoot up my old expended fireworks tubes.

markallen
July 7, 2008, 01:07 PM
When I was much younger I bought a plastic model of the Bismark, that had a battery driven motor. It had a steering pattern that you could set to do circles, or figure eights.
Spent a previous weekend putting it togther, and the next weekend dismantling it on the pond while it did figure eights, till it sank.
If your real carefull with a .22 you can get hours of fun taking it apart from top to bottom.
It even sank like you see in the movies, bow up bloop, bloop, and .......gone.

Wang
July 7, 2008, 01:23 PM
If you are shooting with young kids, buy a 12 pack of cheap red pop. Shake it up and let them shoot it. My kids use to love it.

Cosmoline
July 7, 2008, 01:26 PM
I used to clear spruce trees by shooting them down. It worked esp. well in the dead of winter when they were frozen. Shotgun slugs were by far the most effective at this, even more than the .375 H&H.

I also considered any grouse a target of opportunity. A very tasty target.

psyopspec
July 7, 2008, 01:32 PM
Empty propane cylinder with a bad valve. Someone else had discarded it at the range, but I kept it going for three more sessions. It was fun sticking it on top of the 100m berm then shooting for it with a pistol. It was almost comedic to score a hit and hear the TING come back a second later.

PawDaddy
July 7, 2008, 01:39 PM
I really want to get some life-size printouts of the King from the BK commercials. I figure that ought to motivate me to really make good shots.

He is one creapy dude!

I have shot small trees in two with a shotgun and a .444 Marlin.

There was a tree on the land that we used to hunt that we would lean target up against. It was probably 4-6 inches in diameter. We shot it down over a period of a couple of years with .22's. It was not intentional. We just eventually shot targets on it till we shot it in two.

I have shot diferents things:

green plastic army men

bottles and cans

rocks

sticks

brick (.444 Marlin)

armidillos

But my favorite of all time would have to be turtles on a pond or creek!

I wouldn't mind some Obama, Jesse, and Al cutouts to shoot at!

I don't have anywhere to shoot now because I do not belong to any hunting club. There is an indoor range that I go to, but it is paper targets only.

jrou111
July 7, 2008, 02:00 PM
Oh, I just remembered another good one!

I made a home made gong by welding two 1/8" steel plates together. Then I welded that to a heavy duty door hinge, and bolted it to a wooden a-frame.

It handled .22, 32 H&R mag, .38spl & 9mm no problem. But when I shot it with the .44 mag then entire gong and stand leaped in the air and jumped back about 2 feet! :D

Restorer
July 7, 2008, 02:10 PM
I forgot about turtles! That was how I learned to target shoot. We had a lot of ducklings on the lake and my job as a kid was to keep the turtle population under control. Shot 'em with a Crosman pump. It was cool when there was no splash, just a clean head shot.

More snakes than I could count.

My sister's Barbie doll. She still brings that one out sometimes. Some people just hold a grudge, I guess.

blkbrd666
July 7, 2008, 03:01 PM
You can thread roaches through the rear end with a needle and a piece of thread about 4 inches long, pin the thread to the center of a paper target over cardboard, and send it downrange. Makes the boring paper target a little more interesting with the moving bullseye.

OAKVILLE SHOOTER
July 7, 2008, 03:03 PM
My PC's power supply unit died, so I'm saving it for the range, I just hope it doesn't fragment much for the cleanup.

Just use the de-fragment function when you get done.:neener:

Afy
July 7, 2008, 03:40 PM
Grapes and Olives can be challenging at 100+ meters.

So can .22 LR cases...:evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "Unusual targets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!