Bought "early" SAR-1...NICE!

PDA

vanfunk
August 26, 2003, 09:30 PM
Hi Folks,
After much internal debate and brouhaha, I decided to buy a Romanian SAR-1 as a cheap-ammo-no-maintenance-bastardsonofavarmint-fun-gun:cool:
I went to my local gunmonger to check his wares, and there on his used gun rack was a dirty ol' SAR-1 priced attractively at $199. A quick field strip revealed the flotsam of about 500 rounds of Wolf 7.62 sans cleaning. The boresnake-purged bore shone bright. Quite alarmingly, the blued finish was well-applied and even over all metal surfaces. Even better was the execution of the electropencil markings. These were so well done that they were either cut on a stencil or carved by a guilded craftsmen. The serial number revealed a manufacture date of '99. The wood, while of unremarkable grain, will refinish well, I'm sure. I bought it.

I compared the SAR-1 to a new SAM-7 ($589), and two used post-ban premiums (Arsenal SA-93's) and thought the SAR-1 to be quite competitive. The only negative I can discern is the appalingly ugly lower handguard on the SAR, which I will attempt to refinish tomorrow, along with the other stock pieces.

Anyway, anyone else have a SAR-1 from '99? If so, what is your finish like, and how well were the markings executed? This piece far surpassed other new SAR-1's in the store (though I like the new laminated furniture) in fit and finish. Overall, I'm VERY happy with my find.
Thanks,
vanfunk

If you enjoyed reading about "Bought "early" SAR-1...NICE!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DMK
August 26, 2003, 10:14 PM
That's not a bad price for a decent SAR 1. Right now they seem to be appreciating due to the "no more SARs being imported!" scare.

Check out www.aimsurplus.com for some great deals on mags. I just got a bunch of 20 and 30 rounders from them and they are nice.

MAKOwner
August 26, 2003, 11:26 PM
I've got a fairly nice 99 SAR1 too. Mine is literally 100% straight, one of the few of any year that I've seen that didn't have the least bit of cant in the front sight or gasblock. My stock set was actually fairly nice looking. My 02 SAR2 on the other hand had the ugliest glopped on varnish I've seen (it however is also literally 100% straight, but it was the only one out of 7 I had to choose from at a gunshow that was...). I've since redone both of the stocksets with spray on bedliner though, so it doesn't matter. The finish on my SAR1 was decent, but not on the level of any of the higher priced AKs I've seen. I took care of that by redoing the metal with 1200 degree bake on "Ceramic" Engine Paint though. Looks friggin sweet now...

SodaPop
August 26, 2003, 11:32 PM
The early ones were the gooder ones.

I've passed many a $400 SAR at gun shops and gun shows.

Starpower
August 27, 2003, 02:27 PM
I got mine for $300 new w/ 8 30 rd mags. Immediately went to web site SKS Parts Politically Incorrect and bought a Corlite stock set for $54 (+S&H) which fit perfectly with no trimming. Now it's bitchin!! The only thing required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Burke :)

mattd
August 28, 2003, 05:46 PM
Don't belive the hype, there will be more sars, don't sweat it.

Silent Bob
August 28, 2003, 05:58 PM
I always heard that the earlier SARs were the ones bad about front sight and gas block cant???

mattd
August 28, 2003, 08:09 PM
Some new ones, some old one have the cant, you can fix it very easy http://linx310.nothingbutguns.com

WonderNine
August 28, 2003, 08:32 PM
Hmm, I'd like to get one someday. I can't decide what are the best mags for the SAR-1 are though. The metal Euro ones? The waffle mags? The new Polish polymer ones? Others?

mattd
August 28, 2003, 08:40 PM
They all work the same just weigh more, cost more and look better. The 10 dollar metal ones are the best choice just for shooting and maybe a few waffle mags for the sake of it. And of course everyone needs a 75 round drum.

WonderNine
August 28, 2003, 08:43 PM
I think I'd skip on the 75rd drum. Too heavy. :D

30 round mags are fine for me.

mattd
August 29, 2003, 07:46 AM
Well I'm a fascist so you have to buy one.

Starpower
August 29, 2003, 08:43 AM
The cheapest drums I've found were $99, used, from Cheaper Than Dirt, but that seems like a lot of money for an unnecessary toy. Would be fun to spray and play, but I think, for myself, I'd rather get $100 worth of ammo.

The only thing required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Burke

DMK
August 29, 2003, 08:58 AM
AIM's got 40 round mags for $15 each. Get two of them for $30, tie them together with two jungle clips from CDNN for $10/pair and you have 80 rounds on tap for $40.

For the price of one drum, you could make two of these and if you want to make three, the price of the mags drops to $13 each.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Rifle_Magazines.html

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/magjunclamho.html

mattd
August 29, 2003, 09:02 AM
Or you can make the 2 40 rounds 1 80 rounder. But the 75 drum is very easy to load. Is the Drum to heavy to bump fire?

Buy some duct tape to be true to da game, not that fancy pants jungle mag stuff.

Futo Inu
August 29, 2003, 10:43 AM
Picture of the rifle?

Starpower
August 29, 2003, 02:10 PM
Talking of Flash suppressors and brakes on another thread. Just found a double brake for $10 for an SKS. Will it fit my Romanian SAR-1. ??

Also for FUTO, I'd be glad to put a picture of it onboard, but I usually play with this thread from work (some job, huh?) and I don't have photo capability. I do at home, so maybe if I take a picture there, then e-mail to myself, maybe I can pull it up at work and include it as an attachment, so I can get a couple of pictures included. Possibly with side scope, Bipod and a 30 rd mag inserted. I'll play with it over the weekend and see what I can do.

And DMK, Cheaper than Dirt has the metal two magazine clamp for only $6.00, (pg 12) and German 30 rounder mag for $10.00 bucks.(Pg 9) or a 40 rounder for $20. That makes 60 rounds for $26, less ammo, or an 80 rounder for $46.

The only thing required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Burke

mattd
August 29, 2003, 02:43 PM
Buy a threaded Ak brake and thread the barrel and solder it to the barrel so its legal.

Starpower
August 29, 2003, 04:14 PM
MATTD: Thread the barrel?? Is this Fed or Nebraska regs? What's illegal about front sight pins? I can't even sweat seal a copper tube! Oh, excuse me, am I whining?

DMK: Just saw the drum on sale for $85.00 CheaperThanDirt.com.

mattd
August 29, 2003, 05:13 PM
You need to solder it on because its against the awban to have a threaded barrel with a detachable mag and pistol grip because you might put a flash hider on which makes you want to and you will kill people faster..........

Noting Illegal about the pin version its just that the threaded one is better imho.

85 is ok, 70 is a good deal and 90 is the most I'd pay.

http://ak-47.net/ak47/brakes/index.html

Starpower
September 2, 2003, 08:33 AM
So, MATTD, a flash suppressor and a detachable magazine makes me want to kill more people, faster, and more efficiently. What of the guy at the gun shows with the fake fully auto trigger throbber? You know the guy, he's been at all the shows for the last three years, always says BATF has outlawed the manufacture of these things, and he only has two or three of each kind left, but he never seems to run out? Now that could waste a ton of ammo in real short order. I think that thing is waste of money, and a waste of ammo, and the guy is a schyster, so of course, I'm gonna get me one!! I mean, after all.

The only thing required for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Burke

DMK
September 2, 2003, 10:01 AM
You can't just solder a muzzle device onto a threaded barrel. You need to silver solder it on. There's a regulation for temperature required to remove it. I can't remember, but I'm thinking it's like 1000 degrees? I know it's hot enough that many folks don't want to do it for fear of ruining the barrel.

Another option is to blind pin it and solder or tack weld over the hole.

OEF_VET
September 2, 2003, 10:37 AM
Let me assure you, the 75 round drum is VERY fun. It does take awhile to load, but it also takes awhile to unload. :D The only problem is that a fully-loaded drum makes the rifle a bit heavy to hold up to your shoulder for an extended period of time.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?postid=380299

Frank

igor
September 2, 2003, 03:01 PM
You'll be better off with the waffle mags - the metal ones can dent which leads to malfunctions.

A local military depot sells domestic green waffle 30-rounders for 8€ apiece and that's what I'm getting for my Saiga. The green ones were a development model Exel made for Sako/Valmet - they were phased out and the current issue mags are made of a bit harder, black plastic. Haven't seen any of these Polish polymer things yet though, are they any good?

edit: typo, dumbo...

mattd
September 2, 2003, 03:10 PM
I'm guessing 8 euros is 8 dollars but In American the waffle mags cost about 5 bucks more. From the normal 10 for steel mags.

SteelyDan
September 3, 2003, 01:51 AM
I don't know, my one waffle mag is the only one that won't feed. Obviously not a representative sample, and probably easily fixed, but still...

igor
September 4, 2003, 02:50 PM
Matter of fact, the green ones I'm talking about are so cheap just because you can get the occasional lemon... :( AFAIK they were made during the later 80's in several versions that aren't easily told from each other and some won't feed reliably when fully loaded. The material was too soft, I guess.

Since Sako/Valmet came with the M92S and the actual RK95, they furnished the black ones, and those will set you back considerably more. I don't think any significant numbers of any of this has been exported, though.

Are the waffle mags you're talking about the hard plastic, red/brownish Russian ones? Or Chinese?

Here (http://www.finnrappel.fi/lippaita.htm) you can see pics of these: the black waffle mag is in the same pic with the Russian 40-rd steel mag. This shop also has a bit different pricing policy... :D

mattd
September 4, 2003, 03:16 PM
Do you get to have full auto or just semi?

SteelyDan
September 5, 2003, 12:52 AM
igor:

I'm not at all sure your question about "which AK mag are you talking about" was directed at me. But if it was, it's really a nice looking and solid feeling black waffle mag. There are no external markings except for a "10" with two or three circles around it, at the bottom left hand side of the mag. A buddy was buying some from an internet site, asked me if I wanted one, I said "sure." So I don't know where it came from. It was relatively expensive, however, and for some reason (that I haven't taken the time to figure out) it just won't feed.

igor
September 5, 2003, 03:48 AM
SteelyDan, yes it was. Yours doesn't sound familiar... the problem does, though. Good luck!

mattd, full auto is possible but seldom seen. You'll need to jump a lot of hoops, establish an "acceptable need", gain "collector status" with the registering authority and whatnot. No punishment taxes though, and every firearm purchased (dealer or private) must be applied for and registered in any case.

With the same gear readily available semi-auto ("military reserve sports" a universally applicable "acceptable need"), not many go through the trouble. No "appearance-based" restrictions, only an OA length minimum for rifles that puts folder stock models in a different category with more hoops to jump... or to the welding shop for a permanent length adjustment :scrutiny: as often done.

Sorry about the thread creep... but the original issue seems pretty much solved, I hope? :uhoh: :)

Starpower
September 5, 2003, 10:17 AM
IGOR. Tell me about the crimped sided 7.62 round in your last picture. I get good prices on Russion Wolf green lacquered steel , but I've never actually seen one crimped that way. Seems the velocity expansion would be lost, or at least greatly reduced, in the space between the crimps. Who makes it?? What are the stats?? I can usually get Wolf for around .09 cents a round. How about these?

The only thing required for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Burke

igor
September 5, 2003, 05:15 PM
The crimped round below is made by Lapua or some military depot, seemingly - it gives its projectile as much velocity as your javelin practice will allow with zero expansion on target :p

ahem... it's a LATHAP dummy round. For dummy conscripts practicing filling mags and clearing their weapon. Somehow they've become a service time memento kind of a thing. The crimps and the nickeled colour serve telling them apart from live ammo :D :scrutiny: .

benEzra
September 5, 2003, 07:31 PM

If you enjoyed reading about "Bought "early" SAR-1...NICE!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!