1860 Spare parts

PDA

B00SS
July 7, 2008, 12:28 PM
I just purchased a Pietta 1860 Army over the weekend. I would like to purchase the spare parts that would be most likely to fail. What parts would you recommend that I buy and who has the best (quality) parts for my pistol. TIA.

If you enjoyed reading about "1860 Spare parts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Voodoochile
July 7, 2008, 12:57 PM
https://www.vtigunparts.com Pietta parts (https://www.vtigunparts.com/ab2240000Equick/shopdisplaycategories.asp?id=14&cat=Pietta)

They have everything that you will need & as far as suggested parts.

Hand & spring "they come together"
Trigger/Bolt Spring.
Trigger.
Bolt.
Hammer "maybe, I've yet to have to replace mine in 26 years"
Main Spring.

If you remove the screws often then maybe a set of screws but that is up to you again I've yet to need to replace any of mine.

Tresso Nipples as replacements when your present set in the cylinder wear out.

mykeal
July 7, 2008, 01:20 PM
I agree with VTI as a supplier; Dixie Gun Works is also a good source.

Which parts?

Hand/spring assembly
Trigger/bolt spring
Bolt
Full set of screws
Mainspring
Wedge

Trigger? Nope.
Hammer? Nope.

There is a wire trigger/bolt spring made by Heinie for the Colt Single Action Army that will fit the replica Colts. It's available from Brownell's. It improves trigger feel and function and has much better life than the flat trigger/bolt spring in the original design. I'd consider buying that as your spare.

Heinie SAA spring (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=6875&title=SINGLE%20ACTION%20TRIGGER/BOLT%20SPRING)

Voodoochile
July 7, 2008, 01:33 PM
There is a wire trigger/bolt spring made by Heinie for the Colt Single Action Army that will fit the replica Colts. It's available from Brownell's. It improves trigger feel and function and has much better life than the flat trigger/bolt spring in the original design. I'd consider buying that as your spare.

Too bad they don't make one for the Remington clones, I'd snatch up on one in a heart beat, "already have 2 for my 51 & 60 for when they do give way"

Old Fuff
July 7, 2008, 02:18 PM
Do keep in mind that hands and bolts are usually not "drop in" parts. They have to be fitted, either by a gunsmith or knowledgeable owner.

The two parts most likely to fail are the trigger & bolt spring and hand spring. They can be replaced by a knowledgeable owner. Extra screws are a good idea, as well as a set of screwdrivers with bits ground to fit them.

B00SS
July 7, 2008, 04:54 PM
Good point, Old Fluff, my Craftsman screw drivers are a bit thick at the blade. Would any type of precision drivers do the trick or is grinding the best method?

GNLaFrance
July 7, 2008, 05:21 PM
A good-quality set of gunsmith screwdrivers is what you want. They're made of tough steel and hollow-ground to fit in the narrow, square slots of gun screws. Forster, B-Square, Pachmayr, Wheeler and others make them. They'll pay for themselves many times by saving you the trouble and expense of replacing buggered-up screws.

Old Fuff
July 7, 2008, 05:39 PM
Good answer. I would add that Brownells also offer all sorts of parts, tool & supplies at: www.brownells.com.

Rachen
July 7, 2008, 05:51 PM
I am a VTI regular customer too. Very friendly service, really nice folks.

DGW also have spare parts, but if you have a gun that needs rare parts that DGW or Cabelas don't have in stock, VTI is the best.

Smokin_Gun
July 8, 2008, 03:27 AM
Make your own Piano wire Springs for your Rems...local hardare store has piano wire stock.
I don't like um myself for Colt or Rems... I prefer a crisp trigger to a spongy feeling one. That's speaking for myself...

Old Fluff, I got 3 Revs in the mail today. one from (AA) Auctions two from a friend at Voy. A CVA 1863 .31 Pocket Rem, Asm .44 1860 Army, Euroarms .36 1858 NMA (Army Police, Navy)About new dated XX7(1971) Was blowin by the clyinder slot every now and then so. As I suspected the bolt head and legs needed an India stone and polishing. Polished up the in'erds and cleaned up the bolt window some. That did the trick...here's the kicker. The hammer stops at the backstrap can only feel a half a hair a pull on the hammer when locked up. Bolt slides in nice and easy with hammer to the backstrap:cool:
Thought you'd like to know that I know;)

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Smokin_Gun/07-07-08_1129.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Smokin_Gun/07-07-08_1122.jpg

SG

Old Fuff
July 8, 2008, 09:30 AM
Interesting, and a nice collection. :cool:

Be sure the hand isn't too long. If the hammer stops at the backstrap, and I see that it does, the bolt shouldn't be able to overshoot the notch, even if it is out of time - unless you are speed-cocking the hammer or the bolt's too wide to fit in the notch.

I found another picture of an original colt (1862 Police) with the hammer back against the backstrap; but it's been converted to metallic cartridge so some people we know wouldn't be interested.

scrat
July 9, 2008, 11:05 AM
Now i have said this time time again. when you get the parts. take them off the gun one at a time. and file down the new parts to make sure they look just like the new ones. then try them out. use a sharpy to mark the new versus old. replace one at a time after you file them down. making sure your revolver works all the time. once all parts are changed with the new ones try it out. then replace them with all the old ones. now take all the new parts and put them away in a baggie. in the future if you eve have to use one of these parts you will have them already to go pre fitted.

Mike 56
July 13, 2008, 05:10 PM
Cabela's sells Colt and Remington parts sets for 25.00. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0006186214052a&navCount=3&podId=0006186214052&parentId=cat602736&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=catfeatcamp&catalogCode=XJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat602736&hasJS=true

Mike

If you enjoyed reading about "1860 Spare parts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!