Does anyone NOT wear eye protection?

PDA

2TransAms
July 7, 2008, 05:39 PM
A post on another thread got me wondering...does anybody intentionally not wear eye protection when shooting? If not,why? You don't need it? You see better without it? Just curious...

Btw,I always do,and I've had enough ejected cases bounce off my glasses to make me glad I did. My eyes are bad enough (20/80),and I don't need a hot piece of .45 brass making 'em worse.

If you enjoyed reading about "Does anyone NOT wear eye protection?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SsevenN
July 7, 2008, 05:40 PM
I need a good pair.

Right now I use cheap safety glasses.

They are poor in low light, but better safe than sorry.

Thernlund
July 7, 2008, 05:41 PM
I always do, but my "eye protection" consists of prescription glasses. It's actually just about the only time I wear them. So for whatever that's worth.

I realize that I just answered the question you didn't ask. But hey, when in Rome... :D

-T.

exar
July 7, 2008, 05:47 PM
If I really think I need to, I will. Place's like indoor range's and the like. Most often, and my personal preference, I don't wear it(OMG!!1111). I try to be aware of what could hit me and avoid those situations. I also, for the life of me, just can't get a good cheek wield or fit with any type of eye protection and it makes my targets look different. I do wear hearing protection, always.

I won't/don't recommend it to anyone else. Everyone I let shoot at my place has to wear all the safety stuff unless I thoroughly trust their skills.

shevrock
July 7, 2008, 05:53 PM
I can't wear eye protection because i have glasses already. i need to get ear protection though. :D

kingpin008
July 7, 2008, 06:01 PM
I don't wear anything besides my prescription glasses. Never had an issue.

airman
July 7, 2008, 06:01 PM
Never did in the Army, and i don't now either. Well kind of take that back i wear my sunglasses. I'd look funny wearing saftey glasses deer hunting.

Bix
July 7, 2008, 06:04 PM
I've been cut and bruised by ricochets and lead splash, peppered by birdshot, and blistered by rifle brass. I wouldn't consider setting foot on a range without good eyepro on my face.

rugerman07
July 7, 2008, 06:10 PM
Sometimes, when I'm shooting a 22lr, I don't wear hearing protection, probably not a good idea. But I do wear ear plugs when shooting the bigger calibers.

tpaw
July 7, 2008, 06:35 PM
All the time.

TxState101
July 7, 2008, 06:38 PM
Wear my Oakley's every damn time I shoot. Those things are supposed to be able to take a beating. The only thing I would like to do is get some new lenses for them.

Best thing about them is that the lens comes out to the corner of the eye so you don't have to worry so much about something coming in and catching you on the side. Very desirable for me!

jjbduke2004
July 7, 2008, 08:41 PM
When I first started shooting at 12.5 yo at the local indoor range (Nassau County/Mitchell Field) eye protection wasn't mandatory. It is conceivable to me that those "old-timers" who grew up with out such rules would be resistant to change. Most places now, for liability reasons I'm sure, require eye protection.

If anyone is in doubt over the need for eye protection, I suggest shooting station 8 in skeet :evil:

Atla
July 7, 2008, 08:45 PM
Always wear eye protection.

For safety glasses I prefer yellow tint. And I always make sure it's Ansi rated.

PawDaddy
July 7, 2008, 08:51 PM
I didn't for a long time. But, I have to wear prescription glasses now, so I always have them on. I am getting old cause I have been wearing these things for over 20 years.

Huckle2
July 7, 2008, 08:52 PM
I always wear my old prescription glasses. Been hit with bit of lead large enough to damage an eye! :uhoh: Not optional at the indoor range I use. :)

Geronimo45
July 7, 2008, 08:53 PM
Sometimes/often. Here's the way I look at it:
Eye protection is like a helmet on a mountain biker. Not often needed (unless you're really bad at what you do), but it can come in really handy when it is needed.
Ear protection is like shoes on that mountain biker. Sure, you can ride up Pike's Peak barefoot... but it will be painful.

45Guy
July 7, 2008, 08:57 PM
I trust my prescription glasses for myself, but I make anyone shooting with me wear protective glasses. Even my girlfriend who wears prescription glasses.

Jim Watson
July 7, 2008, 09:09 PM
I see an amazing number of match rifle shooters who do not wear eye protection. Or they just wear the specialized shooting glasses with one small lens in line with the sights and nothing or a thin plastic shade over the other. I have a magazine cover picture of a junior shooter firing a BPCR with naked eyes.

Crazy.

rero360
July 7, 2008, 10:02 PM
I wear my oakleys at the ranges, but out hunting I don't.

cuervo
July 7, 2008, 10:05 PM
I'll wear glasses for pistol shooting but I usually shoot rifles without them.

This is usually because they will interfere with my being able to see the sights and I'm likely using a spotting scope and can't get close enough to the lens with glasses on.

SamG.
July 7, 2008, 10:10 PM
I do in tactical training when things tend to hurt (me) (hot brass, muzzle blast, people) I don't when I'm just punching holes in targets at the range.

VARifleman
July 7, 2008, 10:25 PM
I see an amazing number of match rifle shooters who do not wear eye protection. Or they just wear the specialized shooting glasses with one small lens in line with the sights and nothing or a thin plastic shade over the other. I have a magazine cover picture of a junior shooter firing a BPCR with naked eyes.

Crazy.

Guess I'm crazy to you, Jim. I don't wear eye protection while shooting my 2013 or my 9003. I have had a .22 round have a case failure, heck, I still have the case and the box it came from. The actions are so tight that I am confident that the gases released don't carry any bits that would damage the eyes, and they are quite cool after working themselves around the bolt of that rifle. The 9003 is an airgun, even lower pressures. As for ricochets, they are taken care of by the occluder and sights. I just can't see well enough with glasses on for my satisfaction.

I do wear it for every other type of gun I fire.

Frank Ettin
July 7, 2008, 10:42 PM
I always wear eye protection (and ear protection). I've seen perfectly good guns blow. I've seen gas blow back from pierced primers. I've been hit by ejected cases, ricochets and lead splatter.

HB
July 7, 2008, 11:00 PM
Guess I'm crazy to you, Jim. I don't wear eye protection while shooting my 2013 or my 9003. I have had a .22 round have a case failure, heck, I still have the case and the box it came from. The actions are so tight that I am confident that the gases released don't carry any bits that would damage the eyes, and they are quite cool after working themselves around the bolt of that rifle. The 9003 is an airgun, even lower pressures. As for ricochets, they are taken care of by the occluder and sights. I just can't see well enough with glasses on for my satisfaction.

I NEVER wear eyes when shooting 3-p air as it really interferes with sighting. I used to not wear them when shooting smallbore, but after having a sliver of lead come back and hit me in the lip during a match.... I put them on right away as did my teammates. I can't say that it hurt, but I differently felt it.
It really comes down to backstop type, action type, and environment. Indoors with steel backstop=YES, airguns with traps=No, everything else=Hell Yes

I ALWAYS wear ears when shooting

HB

justin 561
July 7, 2008, 11:48 PM
I don't wear eye protection, I know I should. But I know one day I will wish I did.

camacho
July 7, 2008, 11:54 PM
All the time, why risk it?

Ala Dan
July 8, 2008, 12:25 AM
I always wear eye protection, as I just spent $496 on a pair of titanium
frames with no line bifocals, in order too see my front sight~! ;) :D

S&WKING
July 8, 2008, 12:31 AM
i dont i dont know why i got safety glasses everywere but never got hit with an empty either

RP88
July 8, 2008, 12:56 AM
better safe than sorry.

My local indoor range had a chemical flash fire when a round . Sent three people to the hospital with serious burns to the face.

Knew a guy who died because he was a construction worker, and didnt wear glasses while using a manual hammer on some 16-p nails. Hit the head the wrong way, it flipped up and bolted into his eye. he died of a cerebral hemmorage, or whatever.

it's kind of like wearing your seatbelt. If doing something is well-known to be linked to fatal or disfiguring accidents, then take the safety precautions.

John G
July 8, 2008, 01:38 AM
For years I didn't wear eye protection. Now I always do. Nothing crazy happened, I just decided it was smart.

FourNineFoxtrot
July 8, 2008, 02:30 AM
I wear eye protection at an indoor range, of course. Not when shooting outside, though. I'm aware that there are very good safety reasons to wear them, but I really don't like safety glasses. I won't go so far as to say they ruin my shooting experience, but it does make it a lot harder to get into it.

Also, I can't see for crap with my glasses always fogging up. I'd rather be able to see what's going on around me clearly. There's always the chance a gun could blow up in my face, it's true. I could also get cancer, or get hit by a bus.

Actually, I'm hoping that if I ever have a gun blow up in my face, it just leaves me with a cool scar. Or just takes my left eye... I can do without that one, I think. I could wear an eye patch, and work phrases like "Yargh", "Avast ye", and "Scurvy Dog" into conversation a lot more. On a similar note, if I ever lose a hand, I'm not getting one of those fancy prosthetics. Nope, I'm having a socket affixed to my nub, anchored in the bone. Then I'm going to pester my machinist friend into making a variety of cool accessories that I can screw into the socket, including a hook (I'm a sucker for the classics), a knife, a church key (I'll be popular at parties, for once), and maybe a cup holder.

I try to look on the bright side of things.

FireArmFan
July 8, 2008, 04:07 AM
When I was younger and shooting at my cabin I never used to wear eye protection. When I started really getting into shooting and going to ranges that required it, I realized how smart it was to wear them. I now always wear eye protection no matter where I shoot. The only time I don't is when I'm hunting.

yeti
July 8, 2008, 09:51 AM
I wear glasses anyway, so except for the added cost for some 'shootin' glasses' it is no problem wearing eye protection.

bmitchell
July 8, 2008, 10:01 AM
I forgot to put mine on at the range last week and it was a very odd experience. I couldn't figure out what was different until the end of the shoot.
Of course, if I was in a less 'formal' setting, hunting or something, I probably wouldn't necessarily have them with me.

KI.W.
July 8, 2008, 10:13 AM
Yes, I not wear eye protections. I have good guns and make my cartridges.
Only when keep shooting with iron sights, I use + 0.5 eye glasses because am aboat 70-year old.
PS, I use hearing aid. Mayby never white stick. In my glass is Gutty Shark whiskey. :cool:

ColinthePilot
July 8, 2008, 10:31 AM
Always. Usually its just sunglasses, but I do have a few pairs of actual shooting glasses that usually come out when I'm teaching new shooters, setting the example, ya know.

chubbmann
July 8, 2008, 10:31 AM
I am ashamed to say that I don't like to and avoid it when I can. My pistols seem to spit the casing well away from my eyes so I have never had a problem so far...

JWarren
July 8, 2008, 10:34 AM
I'm going to be the odd-man-out and say that I don't in most cases.

Unless I have reason to believe the firearm or ammunition merits it, I typically shoot without it. If I have ENOUGH concern about the firearm or ammunition, I'm not going to shoot it.

While I realize that ANY protection that you have is better than not having it, I realize that practically any practical use I have for my rifle will be done without eye-protection.

I don't hunt with safety glasses on. It just isn't practical and can be a liability to the hunt.

This isn't a position I'm interested in arguing. It's just a statement of facts. I'd say do what is comfortable to you and what the situation merits.

-- John

ImARugerFan
July 8, 2008, 11:09 AM
Don't the shells eject to the right of semi-autos? I have some glasses, but I rarely remember to bring them with me to shoot, so I rarely wear them. Maybe I should more often.

Thumper_6119
July 8, 2008, 11:14 AM
If I'm shooting outdoors, I wear my 11 year old Oakley Romeo's (with prescription lenses). Indoors (which is rare), I usually just wear my prescription eyeglasses. Probably about time to update the prescription lenses in the Oakley's though.

KI.W.
July 8, 2008, 11:39 AM
I must to write; surplus shooers must to use eye protections. Volf and S&B-users ofcourse!

J Star
July 8, 2008, 11:44 AM
Almost always. When it gets real dark, I can't see with my shooting glasses on. (All of mine look like sunglasses.) I paid a few grand for LASIK surgery, so I don't want to screw my eyes up again. (ESPECIALLY on indoor ranges. Damn! I've never been hit by so much flying brass in my life!)

yhtomit
July 8, 2008, 11:46 AM
I wear prescription glasses -- not as fully protected as shop goggles, but I can see through them. If I had one of the eye surgery options, I'd still wear eye protection -- had hot brass come too close to my eyes for comfort!

timothy

Jim Watson
July 8, 2008, 11:50 AM
I have been hit all over, including the face, by pistol bullet fragments off of steel plate targets and rocks, once even by a whole bullet rebounding 15 yards off a well seasoned railroad tie when I flinched a shot below the target. Seen many other similar cases.

I have been hit in the head and face by hot brass ejected from autoloading rifles and pistols on the firing point to my left.

I once saw two (2.0) match conditioned AR15s kaBoom in consecutive relays at a highpower match.

You better believe I wear eye protection for ALL shooting.

22-rimfire
July 8, 2008, 11:55 AM
Glasses are a good idea. You only have two eyes. I wear perscription glasses mostly and wear sun glasses over top outdoors. Sometimes I wear safety glasses that way too.

LJH
July 8, 2008, 11:56 AM
Always, I dont want to chance it.

Seenterman
July 8, 2008, 11:57 AM
I always wear perscription glasses so I never bought a pair and figured that these are good enough but after hearing some crazy stories of riccocets that have gone thru people shooting glasses its making me want to invest in a pair i can put on over my normal lens. Besides my lens are pretty small when I think about it, my eyes are already ****ed up I dont want to be blind next.

Mr White
July 8, 2008, 12:01 PM
Usualy not. During matches, I try to, but my glasses tend to fog up, which isn't a good thing in the middle of a rapid fire string.

In 15 years of shooting I've never had anything more than a little bit of gas from my AR get back to my eyes.

I always make my kids at least wear their glasses and sometiimes they complain for the same reason, so then I get to play the "Do as I say and not as I do" card.

nambu1
July 8, 2008, 12:08 PM
I was out on the range about 2 years ago and forgot my shooting glasses on my reloading bench. I just received my 40 Cal. Hi-Power and wanted to shoot it. About half way through the first mag, I was struck by a hunk of brass on the bridge of my nose. I dropped the gun on the table and ran to my truck to use the mirror to see what happened to me. It scared my son when he saw blood on my face. When I checked the ejected brass on the ground, I found that every case had swelled and split. If I had seen this, I would have put the gun away. This ammo was bought at a gun show. I stripped the rest of the box. I did not have my dies and componets for the 40 yet. I have never gone to the range since without my shooting glasses. They are in my shooting bag and I carry a spare pair for any one I shoot with that does not have a pair.

Reddbecca
July 8, 2008, 12:14 PM
I wear sunglasses.

Avenger29
July 8, 2008, 12:23 PM
Yes, of course, I wear eye protection...

It is far too easy for a case head to seperate, or a rifle to KB.

I wear sunglasses.

You really, really, ought to look into ANSI rated protection. In fact, I don't even buy sunglasses anymore...I usually wear some Uvex shooting glasses as my sunglasses...

crankshop1000
July 8, 2008, 01:03 PM
Even Ray Charles wore eye protection in the Blues Brothers movie...

2TransAms
July 8, 2008, 04:53 PM
I don't wear eye protection, I know I should. But I know one day I will wish I did.It seems to me that eye protection is like your CCW piece...you probably won't need it but you'll be sorry if you do,and don't have it.

For the record,you get what you pay for. Cheap sunglasses and cheap clear safety glasses will get scratched easily,and they can distort your vision...you may not notice it during normal activities,but you will when you're trying to focus on the front sight or look down a scope.

tmslow
July 8, 2008, 05:05 PM
I always wear eyes and ears...out of habit.

Georgia Gunner
July 8, 2008, 11:07 PM
I always were hearing protection ,but I'm now trying to make myself wear eye protection. I imagine it would be hard to aim if I was blind.

Mk VII
July 9, 2008, 09:23 AM
No, I don't, unless it's bowling pins or similar. Don't wish to, and get annoyed by organisations that try to make me do it. I'll take my $$ elsewhere.

scrat
July 9, 2008, 10:58 AM
pretty stupid if you dont. Too many things can happen. especially since i shoot bp. flintlocks just caps itself. ya i know nobody wears eye protection during combat. however im not in combat and my eyes are important too mee. so my kidds and i always wear eye protection

mattk
July 9, 2008, 11:07 AM
Always.

abrink
July 9, 2008, 11:45 AM
Here's the way I look at it:
Eye protection is like a helmet on a mountain biker. Not often needed (unless you're really bad at what you do), but it can come in really handy when it is needed.
Ear protection is like shoes on that mountain biker. Sure, you can ride up Pike's Peak barefoot... but it will be painful.

Exactly! All though i can honestly say i don't wear a helmet when i mountain bike or wear safety glasses when i shoot:uhoh:.

However hearing protection is always a must.

If i find a pair of safety glasses that don't feel weird and bulky and stupid on my face I'll get them. But until then, I'll take my chances.

damien
July 9, 2008, 12:11 PM
I've found myself at the range shooting, having forgotten to put them on. They are much easier to forget to put on than hearing protectors. But I always intend to wear them and put them on once I have noticed the error.

Kentucky Kernel
July 9, 2008, 01:16 PM
I wear glasses all the time anyway. But, when I hit the range, I also add little clear plastic flaps to the side of my eyeglasses to increase protection.

KK

schadenfreude
July 9, 2008, 01:35 PM
I always wear eye and ear protection. A month ago we went out on a shoot and I was firing my brothers new Walther 22 which is a giant POS btw. Anyways it sent a case up and in between my glasses and face and I had to maintain muzzle control so I didn't sweep my bro as I madly tried to get my glasses off so it ended up being trapped there for a few seconds (felt like hours. Burned the hell out me. I now have a permanent scar on my face.

So even the best protection sometimes isn't worth ****.

I'm looking for a goggle style now.

PS Aside from a terrible glock bite several years ago I've never had any injuries in all the shooting I've done.

If you enjoyed reading about "Does anyone NOT wear eye protection?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!