What have you done for your Country today?

PDA

Risky buisness
July 7, 2008, 06:15 PM
As I read the the posts here I am truly relieved to see the amount of and number of varied opinions regarding the RKBA, and how some of you folks support your rights and your Country through activism, Outstanding!
I would like to pose this question;
What have you done today, personally, to support your rights? Have you written a letter? Sent an Email, talked to a friend about what's going on with Firearms rights? Maby taken a friend shooting? You know, not even today, what have you done last week, over the 4th, it's easy to sit down here and type items for discussion or alerts amongst folks that in all proability agree with you, but why is it so tough to to do the same typing, only addressed to your Representitives or news paper, I don't know why but it's tough for me too, perhaps, if we all make one concerted effort at least once per week to send commentary to Washington, or your State Capitol it might get easier. Anyone out here have some ideas as to how to overcome this? Folks I'm all ears(or eyes, as the case may be).

If you enjoyed reading about "What have you done for your Country today?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MD_Willington
July 7, 2008, 06:23 PM
yes, everyday.

Psywarrior13
July 7, 2008, 06:25 PM
In the last week I have been writing my State legislators and my Governor about open carry laws here in Missouri. Also I have taken a couple of my friends who have never even held a weapon out shooting, and taught them how to safely handle a firearm. I continue to further my knowledge of gun laws and legislation that is being introduced and debated. I truly believe that we can make a difference, one letter/email/phone call at a time.

Floppy_D
July 7, 2008, 06:32 PM
Organized a Communications project which will allow me to present to the president of my university the need for CCW amongst my fellow students. I'm also active duty. :)

ScottyT
July 7, 2008, 06:39 PM
What do I do for my country (and State/Community)?

-I Open Carry every day (whenever I am not and work or restricted by law)

-In the last week I have written letters (like with paper and an envelopes and stamps!) to legislators regarding Open Carry issues (illegal city ordinances, etc.) and the liability of private property owners (stores, etc. that prohibit firearms need to be liable for their disarmed customers).

-I have engaged in friendly discourse with more than a few people -- strangers, family, friends -- about our divinely-bestowed and constitutionally protected right to self defense (via RKBA, mostly).

I hope this thread gets people thinking about what they can do! Every little bit helps! You don't need to go knock doors or man phones for politicians (though that helps), something as simple as educating a neighbor can go a long way in protecting our rights!

mljdeckard
July 7, 2008, 06:55 PM
Yes, I have recently written to my state and federal reps regarding upcoming votes. Yes, I have taken people shooting. I have bought a gun. I will buy another before the elections in November. I RENEWED MY NRA MEMBERSHIP, AND GUILT-TRIPPED EVERY GUN OWNER I KNOW WHO ISN'T A MEMBER. (The NRA can use my help and money a lot more effectively than I can use it myself.)

I have a small outing planned for some of my friends here who have never done any shooting other than what the army has taught them.

For my foreign language classes, we were debating politics. When the Heller case came into the news, I requested that the faculty let me debate against the rest of the class by myself, including the European faculty. They had never thought so much about rights they don't exercise.

Thernlund
July 7, 2008, 07:02 PM
What I do for my country... I go to work, I make money, I continue to be a productive member of society.

But you mean in a firearms-related sense of course. What I do there is to indulge any person who chooses to talk me up about firearms. I try very hard to break the stereotype of a beer-swilling, mullet-wearing, confederate flag-waving redneck by being as real as I possibly can at all times. But I also do not try to swing to far the other way. I do not give canned answers only because they are the right ones. I don't make myself out to be superior to those who I interact with. I always try my best to act in good faith when dealing with anybody.

Above all, I always act like a real person. I am not overly altruistic, and I am not overly selfish. Just because something is right does not make it good, and just because something is wrong does not make it bad. I can be deep and I can be shallow. I can be proud and I can be humble.

What I do for the RKBA... I put a human face on gun owners. And so do you.

-T.

KI.W.
July 8, 2008, 10:59 AM
I do nothing for my contry. It is rich and welfare state. No wars, no bad natural phenomenen. It takes too much tax from me. :cuss: Bastard politicans........:fire::fire::fire:
My country needs only my tax money.

ColinthePilot
July 8, 2008, 11:27 AM
I woke up and went to work today. I just came back from a month of Temporary Duty (TDY) in the Air Force, which even though I stayed CONUS the whole time, really made me appreciate the freedoms we have and whats been given to keep them. I came home and went shooting as fast as I could. Now back on home station, I think I'll have to see what more I can do from a non-military standpoint. In the meantime, its back to work with me.

Ala Dan
July 8, 2008, 11:50 AM
Circulated a letter, showing Barrack Obama's stance on the 2nd amendment~!

siglite
July 8, 2008, 12:08 PM
I was instrumental in preventing a city gun ban two weeks ago. I'm currently involved in challenging (currently politically) bans in two other cities, one of which may be illegal under my state's preemption law. In the past month, I've spent several hundred dollars in travel costs alone supporting RKBA in my state.

Over the past year, I've been instrumental in defeating a statewide carry ban in certain private establishments. I'm in the halls of our state legislature weekly while they're in session.

In fact, I cannot think of a single day in the past year that I haven't been at least tangentially involved in working for the RKBA in WV. I'm in daily communication with the president of the WVCDL, discussing political and legal strategy, as well as current events, and how they apply to RKBA.

There are a lot of folks here on this forum that are pretty active in working for our rights. I'd love to see EVERYONE on this forum active in this way. 30,000 activists would be of enormous influence nationwide.

Reddbecca
July 8, 2008, 12:16 PM
Well I haven't done it today, but...

I got the word out on the Tiahrt Amendment through public channels, I joined the NRA, I helped passed the Emergency Powers legislation in Kansas and get the state opened for the sale of NFA weapons, voiced my displeasure with any AWB attempt to my state legislators and representatives, bought an AR-15, and chewed out more liberals than you can shake a stick at.

gallo
July 8, 2008, 01:31 PM
I've supported my country since 9/11 by religiously going to the mall every weekend.

Feud
July 8, 2008, 02:12 PM
What have you done today, personally, to support your rights? Have you written a letter?
but why is it so tough to to do the same typing, only addressed to your Representitives or news paper

I work for my Congressman, if I have an issue I usually just talk to him (he's brought up shooting more often than I have). :)

doc2rn
July 8, 2008, 02:25 PM
I worked as an intern for the DoD making rock bottom wages:) I could have made more by staying in Kansas!

alex_trebek
July 8, 2008, 02:53 PM
I RENEWED MY NRA MEMBERSHIP, AND GUILT-TRIPPED EVERY GUN OWNER I KNOW WHO ISN'T A MEMBER. (The NRA can use my help and money a lot more effectively than I can use it myself.)

What about those of us who aren't members, but donate anyway? :D

BTW I donated $50 to the NRA today (pure $50 donation, none went for a membership fee or anything).

jkingrph
July 8, 2008, 09:01 PM
I worked today, so the govt collected a nice little sum in taxes.

U.S.SFC_RET
July 8, 2008, 09:05 PM
Served my country for twenty years. I continue to teach for the U.S. Army. I recently became a life member of the NRA. I also teach women defensive firearms instruction. I continue to serve my country today as I speak.

psyopspec
July 8, 2008, 09:07 PM
Taking the week off, just having finished 7 months of Army training, often 10+ hours a day six days per week. I did head down to a new gun shop in the area and give them some business, and when I get back home I'll be taking my little brother to the range, hopefully to complete his 2A conversion.

TexasSkyhawk
July 8, 2008, 09:57 PM
Among other things, I volunteer at a VA hospital helping returning wounded vets adjust to The World again. I also fly some of them to different treatment centers.

Without them, and those before them, you wouldn't even be able to ask the question you did.

Jeff

knockonit
July 8, 2008, 10:37 PM
I work my ass off supplying employment for 7 Americans that speak english, along with that I pay every friggin government hack for something every month, so with that I'm a tax payer thats what I do for my country.
being middle class, am supporting the indigent and nare do wells not willing to work.
ha.
rj

Lurp
July 8, 2008, 10:54 PM
Speak of the devil...I just got home from mailing three letters to various state politicians concerning open carry in Texas :D. Next week I plan to send a couple more letters concerning CC on college campuses. I usually write my politicians every couple of weeks in regards to different 2A related issues.

datruth
July 8, 2008, 11:03 PM
after personal Hygiene, put on My acu's and tried to get some work done, then talked to some younger soldiers about how they have nothing to bitch about being stateside and being able to see there families every night that's IT, and posted on this great sight, your normal 0400 to 1800 hundred day, nothing to special, hey I tried.

Cmdr. Gravez0r
July 8, 2008, 11:04 PM
being middle class, am supporting the indigent and nare do wells not willing to work.

It makes us middle class dudes look good when we spell correctly.

"ne'er do wells"

One of those you hear but rarely write.

Got your back, brother.

SSN Vet
July 8, 2008, 11:44 PM
bought a marine dinner.

does that count?

aka108
July 8, 2008, 11:48 PM
Sent two letters to several Congressmen. Sold some sponsorships for a Friends of NRA event we are having in town of 02 Aug.

jrfoxx
July 9, 2008, 12:25 AM
nothing today, as I work 12 hor night shifts, and sleep 8 hours during the day, but within the last week I wrote a thank you letter to my Rep in congress, in response to a letter he sent me about the various bills he supported/is supporting to increase the care and benefits of veterans. I think a thank you when they do good, is as important as making a request of them to support or not support ceratin bills.

for OR people, DeFazio seems like a stand up guy, at least when it comes to RKBA, and veterans. His name is always on the right bills on those things when it should be, and absent on the ones it shouldnt.I have written to him and Gordon smith numerous times, and they have always responded (albeit slowly, but I'm sure they get TONS of mail, and NEVER with a from letter that I can tell), and when they said they would vote for this, or against that, like I requested, I followed up to see, and they did just as they said they would.Pretty rare for politicians, IMHO (No, I'm not saying they voted one way or the other based on my letter, but that they did what they told me thay were going to do)

GRB
July 9, 2008, 12:46 AM
Today, actually last night since it is now past midnight, I ordered a gun from SAMCO. I suppose that is one way to help support my RKBA, and a way to support our economy.

MT GUNNY
July 9, 2008, 01:01 AM
So far this year Ive registerd to vote and plan on voting, I have joined the NRA, bought Two firearms so far,
I Open Carry as much as I can,
Brows the internet during free time to gain knowlege

GRB
July 9, 2008, 01:11 AM
Oops, Pandora's Box was just opened by Mt Gunny, he let the whole year into the picture.

If we are going to mention things done throughout the year, let's see:

Over the past year I have voted pro-gun, I have written many a letter to my senators and representative in Congress, and to the vice president and president in support of gun rights and in support of strong borders and stricter immigration laws and enforcement, I have donated funds to political candidates, I have donated funds to the NRA, I have written many pro RKBA blogs, I have written a few pro-strict-immigration enforcement blogs, I have joined and supported a pro-immigration reform group, I have sent in a lifetime NRA membership application (paid for by me) for my son, I have gone hunting and bought a hunting license, I have made numerous firearms related purchases, I have made several hunting related purchases, I have taken my son hunting, I have taken my son shooting, I have paid my annual dues for the rifle range of which I am a member in the heart of NYC, I paid my annual dues for the NYSR&PA, I have carried out my official duties as a federal agent with integrity, I joined Soldiers' Angels and sent many emails and care packages to a soldier and his unit in Afghanistan, I solicited funds for the care packages through my blog, I got donations of items from others, I recently signed up to be assigned to a second soldier and suppose I will repeat the whole thing with him. I could go on.

It's not hard, really, to do things in support of your country or your rights - you just have to do it. If you want to know how to email your elected officials in the federal government, I have links on the right side of my blog; and the same goes for links to support groups for our military.

All of the best,
Glenn B

Cuda
July 9, 2008, 01:19 AM
What have you done for your Country today?

Did not buy any gas because most of the money goes overseas...

Finished two new target stands.

And continually try to teach my three kids morals.

C

justin 561
July 9, 2008, 01:20 AM
Planning to join the Marines when my broken collar bone heals.

Catherine
July 9, 2008, 09:02 AM
I can't say what I did via telephone and email because it would get, gasp, 'POLITICAL'.

We contributed another $100. recently to our PRO gun organization. I spoke to the attorney's office that will handle a case this coming fall when it comes to hunting 'rights' here in Montana.

I called CONGRESS about many 'issues' including PRO GUN rights. I called Republicans and Democrats. I especially called some on my 'list' of anti gunners in Congress. I gave them my name and home telephone number which I am sure is already on their own 'list'. Ha ha.

I spoke in a few chats, sent emails to friends about ALL kinds of issues including PRO GUN issues, the candidates, etc.

I prayed for peace and sanity in ALL issues including REAL pro gun rights.

I organized our ammunition and rotated 'stock' in that.

This was not all done yesterday or 'today' but in the recent past especially when the primaries were going on. Some of the other stuff was very RECENT.

Catherine

Colt Smith
August 8, 2008, 02:08 AM
I am a member of the NRA and contribute money even when they aren't asking for it. I just sent in dues for a life membership to the New York State Rifle and Pistol Association. I write my legislators asking them to support/oppose various bills. I try to educate myself on the issues so I can help to educate others. I buy firearms. I recently had an illegal restriction placed on my carry permit so I am talking/meeting with different organizations and lawyers in an effort to have it removed or to sue the judge. I have written letters to the courts, the Commission on Judicial Conduct in New York City, and to the NRA. I try to comport myself in a polite, responsible and intelligent manner so that people who don't know any better realize that "gun owner" doesn't mean "Hillbilly" or "Homicidal Maniac".

Citizens that don't participate in their democracy have no right to complain. Your rights are disappearing faster than the rain forests. Wake up!

JKimball
August 8, 2008, 02:47 AM
I sent in an application to become a Border Patrol agent. (So thanks for paying your taxes, please keep it up.) ;)

I reserved a local gun range for an upcoming family reunion. There will be over 70 people at the reunion, and I'm hoping a lot of them will want to participate in the shooting activities. Guns were an important part of my grandpa's life, but many of his grandkids don't seem to have much opportunity to experience them. ( I have heard my California cousins are excited about the opportunity.)

maestro pistolero
August 8, 2008, 03:48 AM
Three letters to editors in major cities

230RN
August 8, 2008, 04:28 AM
Your rights are disappearing faster than the rain forests. Wake up!

Gotta remember that line. Subtly pointed. Someone I know I can use it on.

Been sidetracked lately, but introduced someone to CCW, e-mailed him links to Carry Permits in his county just yesterday. Same with another person last week. Closed e-mail with the "can't carry a cop around all day" line.

Donate to NRA and The High Road when I can. Both are instrumental in maintaining our rights, among other organizations, of course, but these are my favorites. Still occasionally contribute to noindoctrination dot org.

Used to write letters to papers, but hardly ever read them anymore, so don't "advise" them anymore.

Found a new gun shop the other day.

Bought a gun last week. FTF sale.

Hope I can get more directly involved again after a while.

Hoping also that the leftists are so filled with their own blood-lust and overconfidence that they overdo it (again) and lose left and right.

Pun intended.

Zwetschgen
August 8, 2008, 04:38 AM
Unfortunately, I haven't done much up and beyond the daily grind, but that being said, I doi support the NRA. Also, as a side note, Psywarrior you are writing about open carry in Missouri? I live in KC, and I'm pretty sure we have an open carry law... Message me any important info...

If you enjoyed reading about "What have you done for your Country today?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!