Have you ever run completly out of ammo?

PDA

Shooter973
July 7, 2008, 08:21 PM
Have you ever run completly out of ammo for one of your guns? :uhoh:

I never have but then I'm a bit anal about having plenty! But one of my sons called the other day and said that he wanted to go shooting but was completly out of 9mm ammo! :( Could he come over and get a couple of boxes from me? Of course I said yes and he did get 2 boxes of reloads from me.
I've never come close to running out of my ammo, but was wondering if I;m the only one thats this way.

If you enjoyed reading about "Have you ever run completly out of ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rodregier
July 7, 2008, 08:22 PM
A firearm w/o ammo is a poor club :-)

Packman
July 7, 2008, 08:26 PM
No, but I have a special "emergency stash" for every one of my guns that doesn't get shot up unless I need it. I usually rotate it out about once a year.

Regolith
July 7, 2008, 08:27 PM
Nope. I have a rule to always keep a box on hand. Though there are times when I'll have just bought a gun and go a few weeks before buying ammo because I haven't had a chance to take it to the range, yet.

TAB
July 7, 2008, 08:27 PM
yep...

all out of 257 wtby.

shevrock
July 7, 2008, 08:28 PM
I'm almost out now. i've got 20 22lr rounds, and 9 12g. o.o

Rugerlvr
July 7, 2008, 08:30 PM
There are times I've run out of a caliber, but never out completely since I've owned guns.

Thernlund
July 7, 2008, 08:33 PM
In 20+ years I've never run out. Not that I made it a point to have ammo on hand. It just worked out that way. Heh.

-T.

.cheese.
July 7, 2008, 08:38 PM
Just ask Burt Gummer. It's happened to him.

DoubleTapDrew
July 7, 2008, 08:39 PM
There has probably been a time or two I've run out of one caliber or another but never completely out of everything. Whenever I go shooting I keep at least one mag full for the trip home (if I shoot the carry gun). Would be pretty bad to run through a few hundred rounds then be left with an expensive club or two when you needed them most.

rhubarb
July 7, 2008, 08:56 PM
I thought I ran out once. Then I looked under the seats of my truck and found enough loose ammo in three calibers for an afternoon plinking.

SoCalShooter
July 7, 2008, 08:59 PM
Nope.

JohnBT
July 7, 2008, 09:03 PM
I used to shoot up all of my BB's regularly - the last time was in 1957 or 1958 I think.

John

herohog
July 7, 2008, 09:11 PM
Sometimes it just gets too darned fun to stop! Besides, that's why we reload!

PTK
July 7, 2008, 09:12 PM
I keep (as an absolute minimum) four loaded mags for my AR-15, 2 loaded mags for my PS90, and three loaded mags for each other gun (if I have them, some guns I have only have two mags, three or four only have one)

That would be ammo I've tested, know it works, and I do not bring it to the range or shoot it - it's completely off limits for shooting.

qwert65
July 7, 2008, 09:15 PM
I'll always keep 3 or 4 rds of 30-30 and a full magazine for my 1911 plus theres always some .22lr around

EHCRain10
July 7, 2008, 09:21 PM
Ive run out of calibers but never all of them so in a way yes but not really

Psywarrior13
July 7, 2008, 09:50 PM
I always keep a certain amount of ammo for every weapon I own, once I hit that minimum level, I don't go to the range until I have more, or I buy some at the range. But I refuse to let myself run out completely.

ZombieHunter
July 7, 2008, 09:51 PM
+1 to #9
That scene in Tremors 2 was priceless!

I'm low...I don't like it >.>

browningguy
July 7, 2008, 10:02 PM
Yes indeed, more than once I've found myself with no .300 Sherwood or 360 No 5 loaded up. Then I have to dig out the few cases I have, resize some bulelts and load them up to go shoot.

yakkingallover
July 7, 2008, 10:04 PM
Before I got back into shooting, I still had ammo for guns I didn't own anymore. Since I have gotten back into it I started out with low numbers but it has grown exponentially since then...

Walkalong
July 7, 2008, 10:05 PM
Not since I got into reloading some 20 plus years ago. Before that I would run out occasionally.

RickH
July 7, 2008, 10:41 PM
I only run out if I shoot up all my .22lr. A good day at the range and I can run out of every caliber I shoot. I of course buy more before going home, but am technically out from the time I leave the range until I get to the cash register.

Even if I didn't buy more before I went home odds are there are at least a few spare rounds rolling around in my glove box or shooting bag.

I guess now that I think about it I don't really ever run out. I have a 50 round box of .45 AP, but no gun in that caliber, so I until I get a .45 I will never be totally out of ammo. I will just be out of ammo I can use.

PotatoJudge
July 7, 2008, 11:00 PM
Some days most of my ammo is in component form, but I always keep enough of what I need around. The only exception would be one week not long ago when I was going to fly to meet my wife for a trip home (she drove up a few days prior to my flight), so I sent her everything I planned on shooting. Problem was, that included my ammo cans. All I had kept was a CZ-52, unloaded. I had to load a couple magazines full before bedtime that night.

lechiffre
July 8, 2008, 12:35 AM
i voted no however:

i have a S&W 3566 .356tsw. it was a few months after buying it that i found ammo.

i own a walther model 7 .25acp i have never had any ammo for it. same story for my cz82.

10-Ring
July 8, 2008, 12:35 AM
I run out of practice ammo fairly regularly -- but never out of defensive stuff

41magsnub
July 8, 2008, 12:38 AM
I am currently out of .38 spl though that is purely target ammo for me (have the .357 good stuff in the speed loaders ready to go).

GigaBuist
July 8, 2008, 12:41 AM
I used to on a regular basis. When I first start shooting (2001) I just kept a box or two of ammo on hand. Usually had to pick more up every single time I hit the range.

That got annoying. These days, well, somebody already said it:
I thought I ran out once. Then I looked under the seats of my truck and found enough loose ammo in three calibers for an afternoon plinking.

About a year ago my manager was invited to a day at the range with me. I figured he'd want to start with a 9mm after his .22 Ruger. I got up that morning thinking I was out of 9mm.

I found 450 rounds around the house.

davepool
July 8, 2008, 12:43 AM
Yep, every time i fire the last round in a magazine :)

N1150X
July 8, 2008, 12:51 AM
for a specefic cal. yes having no bullets to speak of for any gun in my house never as of right now I have no 7.62x39 :cuss::fire: but I have bullets for all my other guns (.22 9mm .308 20ga)

MGshaggy
July 8, 2008, 01:09 AM
Run out...of ammo?

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Whew...thanks, I needed a good laugh tonight...

Smilin Jack
July 8, 2008, 01:28 AM
Never run out of ammo. My dad taught me to keep a mag or two for the trip home from the woods. I guy might get ambushed or... something on the way home.
I also keep a box of 45 ACP and 357 mag and 30-06 in the truck and my car. On the Honda bike, I just carry a box in the tank bag and several loaded mags for the 1911A1 on my belt.
I am still looking for my Kolpin rifle scabbard. It must be under that mountain of camping junk... must be time to clean the garage.
This is a picture of Iron Mountain LO in Oregon over the long weekend. No rifle on the bike, just the SOB holster for the 45 ACP.

Telesway
July 8, 2008, 03:00 AM
Never. I'm a novice but I always keep a tiny back up of 200 rounds in the closet (and 17 + 16 with the gun). If I don't have any more than that I skip practice until I get more ammo.

flynlr
July 8, 2008, 03:15 AM
not possible to run out. in every other drawer or box o crud scattered inside and out of the house. you can find at least a few rounds of 22 or 7.62x54r

res7s
July 8, 2008, 03:19 AM
People used to come in my store and ask "is that gun loaded". I'd say "it aint a paperweight". Nope never did. touch wood.

freakshow10mm
July 8, 2008, 03:28 AM
Never ran out of ammo, never ran out of gas.

Mac45
July 8, 2008, 03:40 AM
I've run out of a given caliber a time or two, but I've never run completely out everything

U.S.SFC_RET
July 8, 2008, 07:11 AM
Never ran out of ammunition that I can remember. that doesn't count being stationed in Germany where its difficult to get your hands on it.

tinygnat219
July 8, 2008, 07:17 AM
Actually, I run out of one or another all the time. Hey, when you stock 23 different calibers, it doesn't really matter if you are out of one or two does it?

HK G3
July 8, 2008, 07:19 AM
The only time I was out of ammo was when I didn't have any guns.

That said, I usually shoot off all range ammo fairly often, but always have 2 home defense mags (hollowpoints, ballistic tips, etc) for each gun.

Catherine
July 8, 2008, 07:22 AM
I never ran out of ammunition for ANY caliber that I owned and I never ran out of gas for a vehicle.

Catherine

Arkady
July 8, 2008, 10:07 AM
Can't say that I have ever run out. Low, but never out.

I make sure to always keep at least two mags/speedloaders per weapon. On my main calibers (9mm, .22, and 5.56) I try to keep a thousand around, on my plinking calibers (.45, .357, .38, .30-30, 12 gauge) I am less demanding. (.45 used to be a main caliber, until I could no longer afford to shoot it)

learn2shoot
July 8, 2008, 10:26 AM
I think that the last time I ran out I was 16 and that was because we cut down a 6" diameter tree with a .22. Took hours and about 1,000 rounds but we did it!

I think this guy is all set!
http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=4627874&postcount=123

Thin Black Line
July 8, 2008, 10:29 AM
I still have ammo for calibers of weapons I no longer own.

williamthedog
July 8, 2008, 10:30 AM
sometimes i get a little low on .454 casull
but i always have plenty of all the other calibers

22-rimfire
July 8, 2008, 10:37 AM
The only time I can recall ever running out was when I was out shooting. Didn't take enough with me like anyone cares.

chubbmann
July 8, 2008, 10:53 AM
I just went shooting with my brother. We blazed 150 rds through my 9mm and 100 through my .45 in no time. Towards the end of our hour I looked over to him sheepishly when he reached for another magazine and siad that I never leave my guns empty so we had to stop. A gun with out ammo is about as effective as a thrown rock.

mr.72
July 8, 2008, 11:42 AM
I am not sure I really understand this question but you know I am a "new" gun owner.

When I bought my gun I bought one (1) box of 9mm ammo to go with it. I figured what's the point in owning a gun with no ammo. I brought the gun home and after my wife finished freaking out then we decided to go out on the next Saturday and shoot it. So I went down and bought two or three more boxes of ammo and we went out and shot it all, returned home with zero ammo. Later that week I went out and bought a box of JHP and loaded the gun for HD.

I didn't bother getting any more practice ammo until such time as I was preparing to go out and practice shooting again.

I guess I have not been conformed to the gun-nut culture enough to where I feel the need to have thousands of rounds of ammo on hand all the time. Right now I have two mags full of JHP and about 100 rounds of FMJ. I don't buy ammo just to have it around. I have enough stuff to store at my house as it is. More ammo is available at Wal Mart and I'll let them store it for me until I need it.

packnrat
July 8, 2008, 11:45 AM
never out....but i did get below 1k for my .45 once.:eek:

mtang45
July 8, 2008, 11:56 AM
When I was younger, the stash was very small. There were times when I would have to go buy a couple of boxes to go shooting. But as I grew older and anality set in, the size of the stash grew larger until I reached a relatively FAT comfort zone :). Have not run out of ammo for years!

MaterDei
July 8, 2008, 11:58 AM
A firearm w/o ammo is a poor club :-)

Not a Mosin!

cerberus65
July 8, 2008, 11:58 AM
I shot through all my 9mm once at the range. I still had two guns with me that had plenty of ammo plus more guns+ammo at the house but I doubt I'll ever do it again. It didn't take me long to think through just how useless that Px4 was without a single round to put in it.

Grey_Mana
July 8, 2008, 12:42 PM
I've run out of range ammo before, but if I'm low on hollow-points I keep what I have until I buy more. Seems like an odd question actually. Who would shoot the last of their ammo unless they were hunting food or in a shtf situation?

ToeRag
July 8, 2008, 01:14 PM
I can say NEVER.

actually I have 3 different calibers and no weapons for them (yet).

I have two NEW guns that I'm picking up this week, and I bought an assortment of HD and range rounds.

Reading these posts however, leads me to believe that I didn't buy enough!

I have

600 rounds of .22lr
300 rounds of .38 specials
200 rounds of .357

most here would think I was almost out!

Blackbeard
July 8, 2008, 01:20 PM
Yes, but only the first box I ever bought. Bought 50 rounds of 9mm, shot them all, so at that point I was completely out of ammo. Haven't been out since I bought the second box :)

weisse52
July 8, 2008, 02:44 PM
Yes, I ran out....I was fresh out of the Navy and poor as snot....

Of course I did buy more on the way home. But, I was out for a short while!:neener:

buzz_knox
July 8, 2008, 02:53 PM
My first AK class was when 5.45 briefly dried up. I had a hundred rounds more than the class requirements called for, but the rifle was so easy to shoot and we were moving so fast, I was running short on TD2. TD3 involved me scrounging and doing the minimum number of rounds per drill.

If you enjoyed reading about "Have you ever run completly out of ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!