.44 Magnum Home Defense?

PDA

bg226
July 7, 2008, 07:38 PM
What are your thoughts on using .44 Magnum for home defense duty?

If you enjoyed reading about ".44 Magnum Home Defense?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hankdatank1362
July 7, 2008, 07:43 PM
Depends.

Do you have neighbors, or others living in the same house as you?

Are bears kicking down your front door?

GP100man
July 7, 2008, 07:44 PM
fine if you live alone!!!!!
i use 357 with wadcutters at low loadings inhouse.

GP100man

.38 Special
July 7, 2008, 07:53 PM
I don't know anyone who can shoot full house .44 Magnums accurately and quickly. Lots of people can do one or the other, of course, but putting it together seems to be a bit tougher. I'm sure there are people who can do it...

So my question would be based around that. Assuming that you are accurate with it slow fire, can you get the gun down out of recoil quickly enough to satisfy your needs?

Clint Smith did a recent article about the .44 for defense. He claimed that he could not manage the full power loads, so downloaded (handloaded) his cartridges to a lower level -- though he didn't give any specifics.

Along those lines, I personally would absolutely depend on a .44 Magnum gun for defense, with reduced loads or .44 Specials.

HTH!

GearHead_1
July 7, 2008, 08:13 PM
Blow your head clean off. Now do you feel lucky? :D

dwave
July 7, 2008, 08:29 PM
Way too much power, and it could cause some hearing damage to boot. Biggest problem would be over penetration, unless there are 3 charging in a row!

Standing Wolf
July 7, 2008, 09:05 PM
I don't know anyone who can shoot full house .44 Magnums accurately and quickly.

Practice, practice, practice.
If you have to choose between accurate and fast, choose accurate. Inside your home, you have the enormous advantage of knowing the territory, which the criminal doesn't.
One of the tangential advantages of big calibers is that the sound of the first shot may bring hostilities to a screeching halt.

.38 Special
July 7, 2008, 09:08 PM
If you have to choose between accurate and fast...

I don't. I use the .357. :)

GearHead_1
July 7, 2008, 09:21 PM
Clean off!!!! :D

plinky
July 7, 2008, 09:24 PM
My bedside gun is a Redhawk. I hadn't shot it in a while so I took it out on the 4th. I had several "almost empty" boxes of ammo that I wanted to clean up and most were 300gr loads. After a few of those I was starting to question my choice in HD weapons. Then I switched to the stoked up 200 gr Gold Dots that I keep in it. Like night and day, there was very little recoil. I haven't really tested this load out but I don't think overpenetration will be a problem. The opposite is possible.

The blast...well that's a good point. But at least it will be just as bad for the BG. Gun has a mechanical issue anyway. I think it needs a new mainspring. Glad I found out on the range.

zxcvbob
July 7, 2008, 09:26 PM
Load it up with .44 Specials and you'll have one of the best HD handguns available.

GearHead_1
July 7, 2008, 09:39 PM
Do you feel lucky!!!

Seriously though, I think it is a reasonably good choice but don't think it would be my first choice. .357/38, .40, .45 would probably all rank a little higher in my book for the very reasons listed. Shooting virtually any magnum load it's going to be tougher than many calibers to get back on target and the muzzle flash can be blinding on both ends of the confrontation. That could be said of the .40 and .357 depending upon load also. I've got a Glock .22C that has almost unbelievable muzzle flash, not a good choice for a night defense weapon. A .44 loaded with .44 specials would be a good choice.

Mark K. C.
July 7, 2008, 10:08 PM
If a .44 mag. is all you have then of course it is perfect. I love my S&W mod. 29 and I shoot it regularley but it is not what I keep handy for home defence. My main concern with the .44 mag. is over penetration.

Kosh75287
July 7, 2008, 11:44 PM
+1 to what zxcvbob said. Load it with .44 Special ammo, and it'll have roughly the same stopping power of a .45 Auto with FMJs. A .44 Mag with .44 Specials in it reminds me of a medium frame .357 (A Colt Trooper or S&W M19) with 148 grain WCs, in terms of recoil. Stopping power along the lines of the .45 ACP with the perceived recoil of a .38 wadcutter sounds like a DANDY home defense gun.

Confederate
July 8, 2008, 12:04 AM
You'll do okay if you use .44 Spc. loads, preferably a little hot, but nowhere near magnum outputs. The .357 mag is your best revolver defense bar none. You can pick loads all the way from .38 Spc wadcutter all the way up to major loads. If you're camping or hiking, a good magnum will always be advisable. But a .44 mag is too powerful for home use. Listen to what these guys are telling you.

Me, .38s in the house, .357 out of the house and on the road. If you've got a Mighty .44, use the Spc loadings in the house. Once you're out of the house, or in the outhouse, magnums are fine.

klover
July 8, 2008, 12:05 AM
What you really need to start with is a 454 Casull :D

No, but seriously, 44 specials unless it's a bear makes for a very versatile weapon. You could add a lever rifle to really give bear a headache or go pig
hunting. Love the .44 magnums and specials!:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Diggers
July 8, 2008, 04:41 AM
I do.....NOT :p use .44 mag for HD. :D

I have a speed loader with winchester ST .44 specials hollow points loaded up. Thats a 200 grain bullet going about 900 fps seems pretty good.

1000 fps would be better but I would have to start reloading for that......hummmm.;)

Moonclip
July 8, 2008, 04:59 AM
I've done it with Glasers or .44spl or with loads that are not full house.

mnrivrat
July 8, 2008, 05:07 AM
Mine has served that roll from time to time ,and I consider it a great choice.

I do admitt I also loaded mine with .44 Spl for the most part, but typically would do 3 and 2 . First three rounds .44 Spl and the last two .44 Mag.
My reasoning has something to do with my house and location - I want the ability to penitrate, and my house stands alone, it is old ,having plaster and layth (sp) construction.

In urban area and modern construction I also would stick with .44 Spl ammo and feel confident in the outcome if needed.

Stainz
July 8, 2008, 07:27 AM
A 4" 29/629 is a great HD firearm - if you don't have a .357M/.38. For the former, I'd load either the Blazer 200gr GDJHP or, better yet, the GA Arms Starline brass loaded with the same bullet (Speer #4429). That round opens reliably over 800fps, which it barely eclipses from my 2.5" 296.

Of course, for a 2"-4" .357M/.38, I'd load the tried and proven 'FBI' load, the +P 158gr LHPSWC, like the Remington R38S12. True Magnums are great - for hunting or protection from dangerous animals - not for HD from two-legged predators.

Stainz

robsc
July 8, 2008, 09:54 AM
.44mag. is a great choice. Include a 3in or 3 1/2in 000 buck in 10ga. shotgun. You`ll never know the taste of sweet justice until you:fire: ram the muzzle of a .44mag or 10ga up their nose.

Intruder stoppers/they won`t be back.

:evil:

jrou111
July 8, 2008, 12:31 PM
I find my ported 4" .44mag is WAY too loud for indoors use...without hearing protection would be like shooting a M44 Mosin indoors. And the muzzle flash at night is really bright.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/jrou111/th_PICT0214.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/jrou111/?action=view&current=PICT0214.flv)

The Tourist
July 8, 2008, 01:22 PM
.44 Magnum for home defense duty?

If you are determined to do this, I have two 6-round bubble packaged Glazer Safety Slug rounds.

Contact me PM.

woodsltc
July 8, 2008, 01:56 PM
A .44 Mag loaded with .44 Specials is an excellent home defense round.

You don't need the magnums ---- .44 Special Cal. is more than enough. Plenty of "knock-down" and a "large hole" without the over-penetration of the magnum rounds.

Don

smirnoff a
July 8, 2008, 01:56 PM
Sounds like an overkill to me, unless you have a Grizzly breaking in. Hearing damage would also be an issue.

batmann
July 8, 2008, 02:08 PM
I use Cor-Bon 165gr in .44 Spl in my S&W. They also make the same round in .44M.
Full house loads are pretty iffy for home use, better to use loads designed for SD.

Guillermo
July 8, 2008, 04:59 PM
Nathan Bedford would say to get there "firstest with the mostest"

Not many can but if you can shoot it quickly and accurately but if you can a 44 magnum is excellent.

If I have to investigate a noise I carry an XD45 or a Smith .357.

As Dirty Harry would say "A Man's Got To Know His Limitations."

Mine are .357 and 45ACP

woad_yurt
July 8, 2008, 05:49 PM
To me, a .44 Magnum seems a little too harsh for indoor use in one's home, IMHO. How many walls would one blow through, anyway? My guess is 3 on an old, solid house, at the very least. In a new house, with 1/2' sheet rock and that vinyl siding, I think the question should be "How many houses would a .44 Magnum blow through?"

un_lucky
July 8, 2008, 06:45 PM
corbons 165grn 44special is alot like a 45auto.

rondog
July 8, 2008, 08:02 PM
Get away from my TV, maggot!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/guns/DirtyHarry.jpg

.38 Special
July 8, 2008, 09:02 PM
FWIW, I don't think noise should be a primary concern for a defensive round. Gunfire generally falls into the range of 150-165 dB. Anything above 140 dB is almost certain to cause serious and permanent hearing damage.

I am aware of some folks who keep a pair of electronic ear muffs at the bedside in case of emergency. Regardless of caliber, this seems like a good idea, although the paranoia factor is getting up there...

Bill B.
July 8, 2008, 09:06 PM
44 Special Cor Bons 165 JHP makes it a very nice house gun!

44 Mag.'s in a house and it will be several days before you can hear again .........even if you "can" or "do" hit what you were shooting at!

researchdoc
July 9, 2008, 11:25 AM
Should do just fine.
I would tend to use the light mags as to keep the blast ring further down the cylinder. Go with hollow points.

bruss01
July 10, 2008, 02:57 PM
How lucky you feel has a lot to do with which end of the .44 magnum you happen to be standing.

janof
July 10, 2008, 09:22 PM
I have S&W Trail boss 3" . If I will use it at home, it broke the windows. But if I didn.t aim the criminal, he must die from loud shock:fire:

Blacksmoke
July 10, 2008, 11:27 PM
I am not a handloader. Cabellas offered .44 mag reloads with a 240 grain lead flatnose bullet. I tried them in a Ruger Deerfield autoloader and this ammo lacked the power to cycle the action. I don't have a chronograph but I am guessing this ammo is hotter than .44 Special but clearlt less than standard magnum loads. The point is this seems like a good self defense load- less likelt to over penetrate but enough power to push through heavy clothing and the over developed pecs and abs that come from hours and hours of weight lifting in the exercise yard at the local pen.

gtmerkley
July 11, 2008, 12:45 AM
May be you alternate one round 44mag one 44 spiecal.

Cliff47
July 11, 2008, 07:36 AM
I'd be a little concerned when the windows start rattling after the first round on the house next door.

Virginian
July 11, 2008, 08:04 AM
If I get to the point where I need to pull the trigger on someone or something in my house I assure you if a 44 Mag. is what I had, I would definitely use it. In fact, I have a 44 Special, but if I didn't I would probably use the 44 Mag. stoked with Glasers and 44 Spl. Gold Dots for backups, and I would feel very comfortable in my ability to face a threat.
Here we are discussing whether a 44 Mag. is too powerful, and the shotgun folks are wondering whether a 3" double ought or a #1 Buck is the way to go.

Footcheese
July 11, 2008, 09:29 AM
I've recently acquired a box of .44 spc CCI Blazers JHP and I'm thinking they'll be a pretty good HD round since they're affordable, JHP, and deliver only 376 ft/lbs at the muzzle. Only downside is for reloaders since they come with aluminum casings (I don't reload though).

Deanimator
July 11, 2008, 09:32 AM
I use a 4" S&W 29-2 as my primary home defense gun, but it's loaded with Federal 200gr. LSWC-HP or 200gr. JHP Blazer .44 Specials. Just as good as a .45acp, while retaining the ability to use MUCH more powerful ammunition.

Deanimator
July 11, 2008, 09:34 AM
I've recently acquired a box of .44 spc CCI Blazers JHP and I'm thinking they'll be a pretty good HD round since they're affordable, JHP, and deliver only 376 ft/lbs at the muzzle.
I've also found them to be VERY accurate at 50ft. They're also completely controllable out of a 4" Model 29. I'll probably buy another box or two at the gunshow tommorrow if I can find them. I bought these over the net.

doc540
July 11, 2008, 10:14 AM
Others here have said it in different ways, but torching off a .44 mag at night in closed quarters may momentarily incapacitate you from the concussion and flash.

Not a risk I'd want to take when there are many good alternatives suggested in this thread.

Footcheese
July 11, 2008, 12:07 PM
Right. What Deanimator said. It's the whole reason why I bought a .44 Magnum. Before getting my head right I was thinking of getting some kind of uber 1911 in 10mm. Yeah they can run the lowend 10mm loaded to .40 S&W levels or .41 Mag level full house 10mm but the issue is that there doesn't seem to be a way to tune one of those things so it'll feed fire and eject both RELIABLY. I've got a Redhawk with a 5.5" barrel, so I've got an extra .5" on the barrel, big awesome adjustable sites, reliability and flexibility with ammo... she is a little bigger though and only holds 6 rounds, but if a Cape Buffalo breaks into my apartment she's going to hell and steaks are for dinner!

Jeff F
July 12, 2008, 01:55 AM
Load it up with Winchester silver tip .44 spl. Its a good defense load.

La Pistoletta
July 12, 2008, 05:58 AM
Here we are discussing whether a 44 Mag. is too powerful, and the shotgun folks are wondering whether a 3" double ought or a #1 Buck is the way to go.

But for the purpose of overpenetration, doesn't a single shotgun pellet have a lot less energy than a .44 bullet?

Stainz
July 12, 2008, 07:40 AM
Footcheese,

A cape buffaloe wouldn't make it up my front steps. Now, you wanna 10mm that could care less what you power it with? One that will let you feed it wimpy .40s, too? Get a S&W 610. That 'action' is power level insensitive - at least to the extent you are!

Now, as far as the excellent Speer #4429 200gr Gold Dot designed for 800 fps opening - I'll buy mine loaded in fresh Starline brass - from Georgia Arms. Five bags of them, delivered, was less than five boxes of the Blazers from Academy Sports locally, where I'd bought over a thousand of them over the years (They are cheaper there than anywhere mail order.).

Those Blazers were my 296's only diet - it shot over a thousand of them over the years. One split in my 696 - and they no longer go in my 296. I shot my stash up in SS cylinders. The GA Arms, Blazers, and my reloads were within a few fps of each other from the 2.5" 296 (~800-808 fps) and 4" 629 (875-890 fps). You gain nice .44 Special brass with GA Arms loads, too - and they are nice folks.

BTW, at 805 fps, folks have registered full opening (.69"-.73+") in gel, wet newspaper, and brisket. So, stoke your .44 Magnum with the GA Arms or Blazer .44 Special Gold Dots and you'll be ready for that marauding piece of cow carrying Jell-o wrapped in the rain-soaked Sunday paper.

Stainz

docmagnum357
July 15, 2008, 07:06 PM
Don't listen to these keyboard commandos. I carry a 6.5 " 629 classic 24/7. I handload 180 grain hornady xtp bullets to over 1600 feet per second. There is more penetration with the 158 grain swhp +p "FBI load" in a 38 special. I use this load because it DOES NOT penetrate much more than 15-16 inches in gelatin. !80s, even in the fastest comercial loads or handloads, do not kick in a 45 odd ounce gun. The action is very smooth, right from the factory. The longer barrel, and hence, sight radius, makes hitting very easy. My scores at 50 yard bullseye shooting make all the old codgers at the shooting range green with envy.

I don't know everything, but I have carried this piece every day for over a year, and the longer barrel actually makes it EASIER to carry inside the waistband. The longer barrel puts more gun below the belt, which stabilizes everything better. It is probably a few tenths of a second slower to draw,but that's about all. I have killed deer and bullfrogs with it, and I can guarentee nothing will do more damage to meet than a light hollow point at 1500 feet per second plus.

The problem with these armchair quarterbacks is that they wuss out when something is loud, and has a visible muzzle flash. I promise you, the gunfight will be over before your eyes have a chance to adjust to the bright flash, anyway. Besides, did you ever hear of a flashbang grenade? It is the first thing swat teams do now, throw in a flash bang. It disorients the bad guys.

Don't listen to someone repeating what someone else told the guy that told them. If you can shoot, you can master the 44, especially with lighter bullets. I wouldn't reccomend 300 grain hard cast bullets for the 44, but I have personally seen 40 smith and wessons penetrate a lot deeper than my carry load (3x deeper) with full metal jacket.

A final thing, most of what is on the net is fourth and fith hand urban myth from some idiot gunwriter, rehashed, rewarmed, and served up to an earnest seeker after knowledge as if it were carved in stone on a mountain top. Use your head. I heard all my life that a carry gun should be small. Why? As above, a 6" barrel carries better than a four for me. It's the holster, stupid, not the gun. I heard all my life that a 44 will go through three houses and two schools and bust the engine block on a locomaotive parked on the other side. It's the bullet, stupid, not the calibre. You are probably a lot smasrter than most of the people giving you advice; you still ask questions, you're just asking the wrong ones.

Virginian
July 15, 2008, 09:07 PM
Please, I gotta know.... am I a keyboard commando?

Seriously, that was great stuff.

GearHead_1
July 15, 2008, 09:14 PM
Virginian, you cannot be a member of the keyboard commando club unless you can type a 5 paragraph post as your response, it's a requirement :D This will convince others how "smasrt" you are.

.38 Special
July 15, 2008, 09:18 PM
You are probably a lot smasrter than most of the people giving you advice...

That is a thing of beauty.

rdrancher
July 15, 2008, 11:26 PM
keyboard commandos

Man it must feel great to be soooo cool. :rolleyes:

rd

Matt-J2
July 16, 2008, 12:05 AM
If you think about it, a true Keyboard Commando would be something like a highly skilled hacker.

Footcheese
July 16, 2008, 10:00 AM
I guess all of us clowns who claim that it's best to use .44 Special in a HD situation can be considered Keyboard Commandos, and those quiet professionals who have the drive and discipline to fire a Magnum load indoors are the true commandos. THAT is the designation.

This is so off topic now it's not even entertaining.

ANSWER TO ORIGINAL POST: It all comes down to what you're proficient with and the penetration of the load you use. Read up on www.theboxotruth.com (http://www.theboxotruth.com) and pay attention to the bullet weight / energy of your ammo of choice.

The Tourist
July 16, 2008, 12:09 PM
I don't think some varied opinions (but no experience) mean some one is a chairborne ranger.

For example, I've never shot any one.

However, the OP narrows the debate to "home defense."

As you may remember, my opinion was to use Glazer Safety Slugs. And I feel they are the best for several reasons--obviously no experience.

First off, it's your home and your walls, you pay for the damage.

But more importantly, your family is "the collateral damage." You are responsible for every round fired. And even a miss with a lower pressure .44 SPL round will penetrate a wall--and into your kids' bedroom.

I view this as a very serious topic. You know the old canard, "Beware the man with one gun."

Well, in 1976, that was me.

I had sold my Colt Trooper, and I had just purchased a nickel plated Colt Python and a nickel plated SW 29. That was it, that's all I had. Oh, the snowball rolled downhill pretty fast after that!

In a very real sense, I could have been the one using a .44 Magnum for home defense.

Guillermo
July 16, 2008, 01:10 PM
I too used to carry an N frame in an inside-the-waistband holster. Mine had an 8 inch barrel.

Can't do it anymore though. The travelling was killing me so I quit the circus. Sadly, my wardrobe was out of style among civilians. Now that I no longer wear giant, ballooning poka-dotted pants, I have to carry a mouse gun.

I would be sad except I still wear the squirting lapel flower!:D

doc540
July 16, 2008, 04:37 PM
re: .44 mag for home defense

Shoot a .44 mag inside a dark shipping container and get back with me when you recover.:p

Guillermo
July 16, 2008, 04:42 PM
re: .44 mag for home defense

Shoot a .44 mag inside a dark shipping container and get back with me when you recover.

I don't live in a shipping container. When I use my 44 in my refrigerator box there is no issue except the ensuing fire from the blast...

PigPen
July 16, 2008, 04:43 PM
Look. Here's the drill! A .44 magnum and probably a 357 Magnum as well are not appropriate for home defense. You simply cannot be relied upon to think through your backstop in a defensive situation. You will have a terrific (perhaps stunning) noise to deal with in closed quarters and shot recovery for another shot is prolonged.

Think what the jury would think if they were told that you shot the victim with what too long ago was the worlds most powerful handgun!

Save the .44 mag for the critters out of doors. Shoot the house intruders with the .38.

PigPen

HB
July 16, 2008, 04:44 PM
I have killed deer and bullfrogs

I guess most people only eat the legs soooo:what:

doc540
July 16, 2008, 04:46 PM
"I don't live in a shipping container."

Your home doesn't include small, closed rooms?

Or do you have a deal worked out with all the BG's so under no circumstances would you have to fire within a small, closed room? ;)

j/k ya, man

The point is: a .44 mag torched off within the confines of a dark hallway or bedroom very well may momentarily disable the shooter audibly, visually, or both. Not a risk I'm willing to take when there are other effective alternatives.

Guillermo
July 16, 2008, 04:48 PM
the best home defense weapon is the 12 gauge shotgun...just ask Joe Horn.

the problem is it is sometimes you might not want to be provocative and answer your front door with your 870. (although it would cut down on the girl scout and Jehova's Witnesses...)

Matt-J2
July 16, 2008, 06:09 PM
But Girls Scouts sell me such tasty cookies...

I'm not even sure I'd fire off .357 in my apt, so .44mag is right out.

Guillermo
July 16, 2008, 06:51 PM
just making a joke Doc

I don't really live in a refigerator box
either

docmagnum357
July 17, 2008, 11:44 PM
sorry guys, I guess I did sound a little arrogant or mean, or know it all. I just get tired of fighting people over this caliber stuff. My carry load is a 180 grain XTP at 1700 feet per second. It really does penetrate less in gelatin than the 158 grain semi wadcutter hollow point +p load, the "FBI" load, that you can buy at Wal- mart. The 38 load penetrates about 15- 16 inches in gelatin, and mine won't match it in mud, boards, or deer meat. But you have got to understand, it really is all dependent on the bullet.

A lot of law enforcement went to .357s in the late sixties, early seventies. They got gun shy of the .357 because of some cases of over penetration with the 158 grain jacketed, and jacketed hollow points. The 125 grain loads that came out at about the same time would barely penetrate ten inches. These loads had a muzzle velocity around sixteen hundred feet per second from a four inch barrel (the 125 grainers). Now, only Black hills or Buffalo bore loads that hot, as far as I know. 125s are generally 1400-1450, and almost all158s are loaded 1250 from a four inch barrel. Again, a few of the smaller makers have 158s at 1450. I have heard all my life not to use the 158s. This is a common hick phallacy. the problem is that at the speed the bullets are going, they stay together pretty good. In a deer or hog, not a problem. In an apartment, big problem. Lighter bullets have a hard time staying together a higher speeds.

A "standard " 158 grain lead round nose will penetrate like nobody's business from even a snubby .38. I will add one more thing, and I am quite sure I will really get flamed, But overpenetration of a bad guy has such a small chance of hitting someone else that I just don't worry about it. I worry all the time about what a bad guy will do in the twenty to thirty seconds of conciousness that he has after I totally destroy his heart, or one of the big arteries going to/from it.

The FBI has never been successfully sued for overpenetration. And no, I am not a fan of Fackler, nor do I believe Marshall and Sanow. What I believe is several tons of dead game. What a deer does after it has been shot is very relavent to what a human will do. A deer will run, but a human may stand and fight. Pick a BULLET that will put a big leaky hole all the way through them. Better yet, four or five big leaky holes.

I do want to apologize again. That "smarster" or whatever was classic. I would have been all over that myself, too, if someone had taken the kind of tone I did. I guess I got a lot long winded to have so few facts. I can not remember the address, but there is a place on the net, I believe on you tube, that will test bullets in gelatin. You can see that the 44 is no big ,bad wolf with 180 grain hollow points. International wound ballistics or simmilar should get you some interesting stuff on penetration in reguards to killing power. The FBI has a paper on wounding effects that is gold. My experience hunting medium game validates it. I believe Uray Patric was the agent who wrote it or edited it. I did not get it from the fbi site but from iwb or somesuch other site. Both sides of the bullet argument are only about half right. If some one looks at both sides, they will soon form the opinion that shot placement kills. That's a big reason you won't catch me dead with anything but a four inch plus barrel revolver, or a full size or "service " auto. It's not the ballistics, it's getting a proper grip on something with a grip like a child's squirt gun. How can you shoot well if you can't get a proper grip? That's the big reason I dis like GLOCKs Can't get a proper grip on them.
For daily carry, It really is all about the the holster. I really do carry a 6.5" 629 inside the waistband, 18/7. The other eight it is on the night stand, or on the toilet lid by the bath tub. Did you ever see Rio Bravo? Never know when someone might try to kill you in the shower.... Especially if you sing like I do. Check with Rob at Simply Rugged. I have the Sourdough, and will never go anywhere else for a holster. Good price, great quality, and most of all good design. If you spread the wieght of a big gun out on you belt, you will literally forget you are carrying it. And I don't dress like a clown. Iwear jeans, or khakis, with an untucked "t" shirt, and I'm fine. Check out Rob's website. There is more to a GOOD holster than two pieces of leather. It takes someone getting the belt slots in the right place for a weapon to carry good, and he has done that on the holster I bought.

Guillermo
July 18, 2008, 12:05 AM
Hey Doc,

Thanks for the clarification.

There is a lot of good insight in it.

I have had some posts that didn't read the way I wanted them to myself.

Be well

earplug
July 18, 2008, 12:10 AM
I used to shoot my 4 inch M-29 with reloads at local steel shoots. Nice gun but slow to reload compared to moon clipped 625.
Indoor range during low light firing was not blinding. Think about all the four inch barrel .357 125 grain police loads that were issued. They were hot and effectve. Still not bad during low light in a four inch. Test it yourself if you don't belive me.
Funny, I recall a .380 FMJ out of a Remington Model 51 that was more of a problem when trying to shoot a old canine.
I kept the four inch as a home defence weapon, loaded with 180-200 grain PMC/REM 44 Rem Mag
rounds. It would belch fire and blast 6 yard targets when fired with factory rounds.
But if you practice with this type of gun and shoot this type of round and can hit with this type of round, don't worry about the monster under the bed.
Our local range did a test of Glazer rounds in 9MM and .45 ACP and two sheets of sheet rock and hitting the 2/4 in the typical wall. Its not safe to hide behind the wall with the supposedly safe Glazer.
Slow rounds such as 44 spl. will pass through any wall as well as fast rounds due to lack of expansion. Hit the vital part.
Hit the bad guy. Failure to hit the bad guy will cost your twenty points.

If you enjoyed reading about ".44 Magnum Home Defense?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!