m642?

PDA

Revolver Ocelot
July 8, 2008, 12:56 AM
I was in the market for a s&w 642, and while browsing I stumbled across this little guy, I saw that it seems to have a different finish on the cylinder. I was wondering if anyone may know more about it, is this a different variation of the 642? Is this something they still make?

http://www.gunsamerica.com/977000838/Guns-For-Sale/Gun-Auctions/Pistols/Smith-Wesson-Revolvers/Pocket-Pistols/S_W_M642.htm

If you enjoyed reading about "m642?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Unisaw
July 8, 2008, 01:00 AM
That is just a normal 642. The cylinder, barrel, and crane are made of stainless steel while the frame is aluminum.

You might want to search under the term "642 club". There is a wealth of information in parts I and II of that thread.

Revolver Ocelot
July 8, 2008, 01:16 AM
I contacted the seller and he said the barrel on it was identical to the one on the 340 (in that it has a small underlug) I know it is otherwise the same as any other 643 but I was just curious if there was a different number or name designating it.

cocojo
July 8, 2008, 09:05 AM
I hate to say it but that picture is not a 642 gun. It looks like a 342 or 340 with titanium cylinder. Looks like a "bate and switch" going on here.
If that's a real 342 worth every penny of 399.00. Ty guns were selling for 700.00 buck or more. If that is a bate and switch wouldn't you want to see what was really for sale and it's condition? The gun shown has a titanum cylinder and barrel shroud, 642's don't.

Ala Dan
July 8, 2008, 01:26 PM
My friend cocojo is correct, as the weapon pictuered IS NOT a
S&W model 642~! :scrutiny: :uhoh:

Unisaw
July 8, 2008, 01:29 PM
I stand corrected! :o

cocojo
July 8, 2008, 01:41 PM
Revolver: be carefull of some of these guns for sale on GA. I can give you another issue there. Colt Agent, seller stated that it left the factory in 1954 but if you look at the pictures it's a mid sixties post 1966 gun, not fifties. Roll pin in hammer to firing pin, wood grip covering the frame has short post 1966 frame and not a 50's frame. Be careful on what you buy and what your paying for. I own a 1956 Agent. Some Colt agents started in 55 but could have been made 54, but not this gun advertised. Make sure you know what your buying and that picture matches the gun.

Revolver Ocelot
July 8, 2008, 03:11 PM
honestly being I already have a 442 I may just go ahead and find me a 342, that little revolver looks nice, thanks for your help!!!

DAdams
July 8, 2008, 03:38 PM
Conjured up the spirit of jt1 and here is what he sayeth....

that looks like a 342TI in the photo..worth around $800.00 or so...later..

I agree, make certain what you buy is what is pictured. If you consider it you may want to get a serial number to compare the the purported for sale item.
Buyer Beware.

Ok, I got off my dead azz and drug out S&N.

342-1. Aluminum frame Centennial with titanium cylinder with ILS. NIB $500.
There are some with wood grips that go higher in value. Basically a 642 with Ti cylinder. A bit lighter than a standard 642.

If you enjoyed reading about "m642?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!