Cleaning Advice/Consensus on Breech-to-Barrel?

PDA

zplug123
July 8, 2008, 01:27 PM
After half a decade of various cleaning paraphernalia and junk lining my closet, I finally decided to invest in a complete cleaning kit. Just received my Otis Elite Cleaning Kit for $87 in the mail today, seems to have everything except the cliche kitchen sink stuff into one bag...even things I don't need like rifle & shotgun brushes, as I only have four revolvers at the moment.

Just had to clean my S&W Model 19 half an hour after opening the box, only had to use three patches to nominally clean the bore and chambers, though I'm sure with time I'll detail the rest. Pretty easy and thorough, though the origami-patches could be a hassle.

Any thoughts on if Otis has grounds to call itself 'The most advanced...in the world'? :scrutiny:

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning Advice/Consensus on Breech-to-Barrel?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
zplug123
July 8, 2008, 06:47 PM
Also, how would someone usually clean the carbon rings inside each chamber? The solvent only gets some of it, but I've got MPro7 and S&W bore cleaner in store. Through the grime, I'm also noticing some flame cutting.... T__T

rcmodel
July 8, 2008, 06:50 PM
Oversize bronze bore-brush, solvent, and a cordless drill.

Use a .40 brush in a .357, .45 brush in a .44, etc..

The drill makes very quick work of it!

rcmodel

zplug123
July 8, 2008, 07:07 PM
Eep, power tools touching my firearms? Not my cup of tea o_O

Thanks rcmodel, sounds like it'd work...but I think I'll stick to some elbow grease and TLC =]

rcmodel
July 8, 2008, 07:14 PM
See, the power tools don't touch the firearms.

Just the rapidly spinning bronze bore brush, which is completely harmless to revolver cylinders.

Take it to a gunsmith and see how they do it!

rcmodel

Brian Dale
July 8, 2008, 08:36 PM
I agree with both of you. zplug123, rcmodel's right (as if anybody needed my input on that): the bronze is a lot softer than steel and it can't scratch it (but don't get any gravel in there ;) ).

It sure feels weird when I do it, though. I watch very carefully.

zplug123
July 8, 2008, 08:48 PM
Well in that case, I'll give it a whirl whenever I get the chance...pardon the pun.

Using the Otis pull-through system is enough of a change in my cleaning habits for the past five years, so why not?

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning Advice/Consensus on Breech-to-Barrel?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!