Fair and Balanced?

PDA

usmarine0352_2005
July 9, 2008, 02:21 PM

12:18 Central time.

Ironically if you look at Foxnews.com right now, on the front page, bottom right under latest news, they have both articles about gun mishaps that happened last night.

Both of these stories are about negative things with guns.

One being the woman who shot herself with the .44 magnum while tryin to shoot a mouse in her mobile home and a guy who shot his pregnant wife and child while "cleaning" his gun.
Both of these stories have stayed posted for over 24 hours on their front page.

What about Heller, the landmark case about 2nd Amendment rights? A small post that is gone a day later.

Sounds fair and balanced to me. (Yes, I know about Fox's blatant anti-gun stance.)

Just thought this was interesting.

If you enjoyed reading about "Fair and Balanced?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
yesit'sloaded
July 9, 2008, 02:29 PM
I can see this is a slightly different light. If people accidentally shooting themselves and others was a common occurrence, it would not be news. That and it isn't the networks fault that people with guns can be stupid. They just report it. Get mad at the people that are careless, not the messenger. If they had stories about five wrecks and only one story about how a fast ambulance saved a life you wouldn't call them "anti-car" would you? The news is about the careless stupidity that hurts people, not the tools misused.

usmarine0352_2005
July 9, 2008, 02:37 PM

There's actually more "accidental shootings" then you think, you just don't hear about all of them.

We had a few in a row here, but it only made the local papers.

It's also the fact that both stories stayed on the front page for so long, when stories usually are here and gone so quickly with all the "Breaking News" that's always going on.

kingpin008
July 9, 2008, 02:38 PM
What do you expect from Fox?

MakAttak
July 9, 2008, 02:43 PM
Ironically if you look at Foxnews.com right now, on the front page, bottom right under latest news, they have both articles about gun mishaps that happened last night.

Both of these stories are about negative things with guns.

One being the woman who shot herself with the .44 magnum while tryin to shoot a mouse in her mobile home and a guy who shot his pregnant wife and child while "cleaning" his gun.
Both of these stories have stayed posted for over 24 hours on their front page.

What about Heller, the landmark case about 2nd Amendment rights? A small post that is gone a day later.

Sounds fair and balanced to me. (Yes, I know about Fox's blatant anti-gun stance.)

Just thought this was interesting.

Hmm... why might these be considered "news".

Guy kills two people in a sketchy "accident."

Woman is shooting at a mouse WITH A .44 and shoots herself and her friend.

Oh yeah, it's bias that these made news and the guy who shoots a hole in his wall and nothing else doesn't make the news.

Please people, I know even paranoids have enemies, but EVERYONE isn't their enemy.

Wheeler44
July 9, 2008, 03:17 PM
In the Vancovuer Wa "Columbian" today there was an article about a fella that had an ND with his Glock while cleaning. He didn't know that he had a round in the chamber.

lookn4varmints
July 9, 2008, 03:19 PM
If you'll notice, under the headlines and dates of each story are the words "Associated Press." These stories were authored by the AP, not FoxNews. FoxNews is only reposting the articles from the AP newswire instead of rewriting the news.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,378142,00.html

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,377861,00.html

Yea, let's slam possibly the only cable or broadcast news network which even remotely gives gunowners a fair shake. "Eating our young" is not exactly demonstrative of tactical wisdom.

mr.72
July 9, 2008, 03:22 PM
must have been his first time to remove the slide. IIRC you can't even break down a Glock without dry-firing it.

I am pretty new to gun ownership but I still can't figure out how people can so commonly be "cleaning" guns and not know that they are loaded. I mean, you have to disassemble the gun to clean it, right? You'd think you'd notice, as you removed the slide or the cylinder or whatever that there was a round in there ...?

Maybe these people intended to begin cleaning their gun, but were prevented from doing so because they failed to unload it.

romma
July 9, 2008, 03:34 PM
BREAKING NEWS: MAN CLEANS GUN WITHOUT ACCIDENTAL DISCHARGE!

Authorities at the scene report zero injured and zero fatalities...

"No one was admitted for care" Hospital spokesperson claims.

Phil DeGraves
July 9, 2008, 03:40 PM
I'm sure ABC, CBS and NBC would have had a MUCH more favorable point of view....

kentucky_Dave
July 9, 2008, 04:53 PM
Actually, I do not consider any of the mainstream media outlets 2A friendly, judging by the exclusive negativity toward anything related to firearms.
This anti-gun slant increased significantly in direct relation to the release of the DC results. :cuss:

Here's the key...
DON'T WATCH FOX news

They are not a company with the interest if Americans in mind.

They are constantly beating the war drums, and stirring up the population with speculative reporting with no correction of the errors if the errors do not align with their intended propaganda.

Second,
(Note: this is not about politics, just an evident example)
Consider the coverage of the primary election cycle and the extremely slanted coverage (or the lack thereof).

They praise one candidate, get the alleged poll numbers up, then turn around and cut him off at the knees, then praise another with similar results.
Or just flat out ignore 50% of those in the race because they don’t have enough scandal in their lives to be "News Worthy"
It is a sick little compulsion that has cost them my trust. :fire:

They consistently deliver only half of the news, and only that which fits into their idea of what we should be aware of.

Fox is hype, not news.

Big Gay Al
July 9, 2008, 06:20 PM
So, if we don't watch Fox for our news, who do we watch? MSNBC?

zxcvbob
July 9, 2008, 06:33 PM
(IMHO) Fox is biased towards sensationalism. They generally don't care if the story leans left or right, as long as it sells.

Tommygunn
July 9, 2008, 08:54 PM
Fox is hype, not news.
:rolleyes:
While Fox does not always get it "right," they're better of than MSNBC, CNN, and ABC, NBC, and CBS.
You want real hype? There's plenty of that everywhere.
They have been pretty good on the war coverage, too. I never heard them "beating any drums."
They've been as critical of McCain as they have of Obama.
Plus .... for some reason, they still like Geraldo.:neener:

Catherine
July 9, 2008, 10:56 PM
Just because Faux Fox says that they are 'fair and balanced' does not mean that they are that in ANY story including a GUN story. That goes for ALL of the other networks (Television/Radio) and most corporate owned mass media sources.

Did you ever hear the term 'they are shills'?

They have an agenda. Check your history on this.

That goes for anything on the internet when you read news stories and/or forums - they are not always fair and/or balanced.

If most people checked out the mass media and checked out alternative sources including history books and all kinds of material to educate themselves... they might realize it is even more about the '30 second sound bite', who they are promoting, who they are lying about, who they are not covering and what they want to SELL you in all ways.

Catherine

22-rimfire
July 9, 2008, 10:57 PM
I guess old Enio Abreu forgot the firearm safety rules. "The rules are there for your safety and mine" ... in this case, his wife.

The mouse article was just funny.

FOX news is about as fair and balanced as any news organization that I'm aware of.

kentucky_Dave
July 9, 2008, 11:01 PM
I cannot recommend ANY alternate news source via television. :(

I got sick of it, switched it off and found other things to do.

I have not watched the news on tv in months.
Come to think of it, I have not watched the box much at all lately.

For those of you who are...
I have been informed that one candidate is being promoted (free tv time) over the other, yet again.

Is this relatively true?

Just Jim
July 9, 2008, 11:02 PM
All of the owners of the big news media are certian of one thing, that you are stupid. You are stupid enough to watch them and believe what they say.

They build a story and twist and turn it to move the idiots that watch the story. Especialy stories that want people to belive in taking away our guns.

How do you know when they are lieing, their lips are moving.

jj

siglite
July 9, 2008, 11:05 PM
And Catherine sums it all up.

joop
July 9, 2008, 11:10 PM
props to Just Jim, I strongly agree with him.
All mass media is just infotainment, not real news. Just the news that the people controlling the strings want you to know. Why don't we ever hear more about all the protests that go on? (there are lots, but they are never covered by the mainstream media)

Catherine
July 9, 2008, 11:12 PM
Hi K. Dave,

I have lived withOUT the boob tube on and off throughout the years. I did this ON purpose and not just because I lived way UP in the mountains, when I moved out here from back east, or in a valley that blocks even FREE stations. Reception? Ha ha. I did have XM radio reception for awhile while living butt up to wilderness though years ago.

If a person wanted to catch some of this STUFF that was on the boob tube... they can get it off of their computer. You can get Cspan radio, Cspan television, Cspan book station along with 'overseas' news too. Some of the overseas stations tell more in 15 minutes about real news than what you will hear/see in 24 hours or more on the U.S. mass media stations.

They (USA stations.) are too busy 'shilling', lying and/or ignoring the REAL news especially about GUN issues.

They want to tell you about some Hollywierd 'star' (Gag, cough and vomit time.) or some other news story which is not real news.

I can't say more because it is not allowed here and trust me those stories have to do about GUNS and self defense stories around the world!

Shortwave radio is good if you can get reception! I listened to shortwave a lot back east. Overseas and US stations.

Catherine

bgeddes
July 10, 2008, 12:00 AM
O'reilly has been a pseudo gun proponent since the coverage of Katrina. He changed his personal opinion of gun ownership based on the OBVIOUS fact the the armed citizens were not victimized by the scum of the world. He even talked about getting personal training and looking into a firearms purchase to protect his family.

Granted, Mr. O is not Fox News alone, but he seems to be their key figure. I don't know how serious his pursuit of a weapon has progressed, but deep down he knows the difference between the prepared and the rest.

Tommygunn
July 10, 2008, 12:14 AM
O'Really purports to be someone who is concerned about America and its moral decay, and to some degree he is, and has done some good things.
OTOH he's also somewhat of a fatuous, sanctimonious self-appointed know-it-all who when he doesn't have the intellectual moxie to really dig into a problem, he goes the populist route, as evidenced mainly by his demonization of oil companies.
At the end of the program he does a "letters" segment; one writer stated oil company profits were about 9%. Shrill Bill's reaction convinced me that he (A.) does not give a !*!*!*! about the real facts behind what's happening, and (B.) wouldn't understand them if Neil Cavuto engraved them on a piano and dropped it on Shrill Bill's head ....

Just Jim
July 10, 2008, 12:24 AM
Bill is just like all the TV pundits, out for himself. If they side to our favor and guns it is for a money reason and that is all. They say what you want to hear so they can sell more comercials.

I remember his shows in the past when working for one of the alphabet chanels, he was anti gun when he worked for them. He, in my opinion, hasn't changed any more than Haraldo has.

When it comes to guns and our rights, none of them are fair and balanced. Look to who owns Fox or CNN if you want to know the truth about where they stand

jj

Zip7
July 10, 2008, 12:27 AM
.44 magnum while tryin to shoot a mouse in her mobile home

It's people like this that give the South a bad rep. Get a friggin' cat already!

Poor East Texan
July 10, 2008, 12:39 AM
I watch VERY little News TV.

I visit four Web forums where I get more info than TV could EVER provide.

In the truck it's primarily talk radio but the only three I really like are Glenn Beck, Michael Savage and a local guy Pat Gray.

I tolerate Rush, Laura Ingraham and pretty much DISLIKE Hannity.

If you enjoyed reading about "Fair and Balanced?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!