I got a NO FIREARMS sign removed

PDA

docfubar
July 9, 2008, 03:45 PM
There is a camping hiking area known as Settlement canyon here in Tooele Utah. I finally went up there this past Sunday, and at the gate shack there was a big "No Firearms" sign up. The gate keeper was a retired gentleman who didn't know much. Well after doing much research I got a hold of his boss and asked about the codes allowing it to be a NO Firearms area.

She came off a little snippy but finally said she did not know why but would research it and get back to me. I really didn't believe her but said ok. about 2 hours later she called me back. After talking to the city lawyers, they decided it was fine to carry there but would restrict the areas allowable to shoot. She told me the sign had been there for about 15 years and I was the first person they knew about to call and ask about it.

If you enjoyed reading about "I got a NO FIREARMS sign removed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Huckle2
July 9, 2008, 03:47 PM
+1 doc

Treo
July 9, 2008, 03:49 PM
Did they actually remove the signs?

ArmedBear
July 9, 2008, 03:51 PM
Good job!

That was much more productive than just shooting a few holes in the sign, which seems to be a common thing to do around here.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w208/liberry/notargetshooting.jpg

docfubar
July 9, 2008, 03:55 PM
I just got home from work (midnights) and am going to bed. Am going to run up this evening and check. She said she called the gate keeper and told him to remove it. I'll post later unless I can get thefumegator to run up and check for me.

trashpickinman
July 9, 2008, 04:36 PM
Ironically, I'm keeping quiet (except to everyone here) about keeping a no firearms sign up! Don't hate me yet.

The local grocery store I believe has had a sign up prohibiting firearms even before Kansas had a concealed carry law. But, what they haven't realized is after the ccw law, to legally prohibit someone from carrying concealed on their property they have to use the one and only legal graphic image supplied by the state, which they are not using. Their sign show the silhouette of a revolver, the official Kansas graphic is the silhouette of an autoloading pistol, not a difference most people would realize, but not official by the states' definition.

I'm sure they can still kick someone out for trespassing if they notice a firearm, but due to the sign I'm pretty sure nothing can be done specifically about the gun being involved. If that made any sense.

So as long as no one mentions the wrong sign, and we've had a concealed carry law for several years now, concealed carry in that particular store is not illegal.

hso
July 9, 2008, 04:56 PM
Good for you!

Crunker1337
July 9, 2008, 04:58 PM
Two thumbs way up!

ScottyT
July 9, 2008, 04:59 PM
Great work Doc!

I am still contacting Murray City to get them to remove the illegal and unenforceable "No Firearms" part of their Jordan River Parkway signs. Not having much luck yet...

glockman19
July 9, 2008, 05:19 PM
Good job...

...and Thanks.

anarchris
July 9, 2008, 05:26 PM
we need this kind of activism

Geno
July 9, 2008, 05:29 PM
Wow, talk about pro-firearms action. :) Congrats!

Doc2005

Thernlund
July 9, 2008, 05:33 PM
Now there's a man who took action. Good work!

http://www.thehighroad.org/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://www.thehighroad.org/images/icons/icon14.gif

-T.

usmarine0352_2005
July 9, 2008, 05:43 PM

Nice. All I did for my country was stay at a Holiday Inn.

jpsimms
July 9, 2008, 05:53 PM
Congrats on a job well done. I'm suprised that no one had complained/asked before that

wheelgunslinger
July 9, 2008, 05:56 PM
wow. he really did get farther with a kind word and a gun...

:neener:

Nice work. May we all be so diplomatic and successful.

bogie
July 9, 2008, 05:56 PM
So as long as no one mentions the wrong sign, and we've had a concealed carry law for several years now, concealed carry in that particular store is not illegal.

It's still immoral - because if you go past that sign, and spend money at the store, you're helping it stay up, regardless of whether it is "legal" or not.

It's bad PR for those signs to be up, "legal" or not.

Talk to the people. Don't tell 'em it isn't "legal," but do tell them that it offends you, and that you really don't want to shop there, and will, in fact, go out to your way at times to shop at other merchants. Be nice. Be polite.

Because, sometimes, one shooter can accomplish stuff.

makarovnik
July 9, 2008, 08:55 PM
That makes much more sense. "No shooting". Funny how stupid people get carried away with their "blanket statements".

Remember; It's always about money. She realized that they could get sued so to save themselves a big legal hassle down the road they decided to act properly.

Good for you and I hope she thanked you for pointing out their stupidity.

docfubar
July 9, 2008, 09:53 PM
Well I got up and took a drive and all that is left is a big tape outline on the window. She was actually really nice the second time I talked to her.

FCFC
July 9, 2008, 10:12 PM
Fine work, docfubar. That was a very good communication effort.

joop
July 9, 2008, 10:18 PM
very nice!

doc2rn
July 9, 2008, 10:37 PM
SNAP! Way to go! Two thumbs way up.

romma
July 9, 2008, 10:48 PM
Way to go! Big back pat from THR!!

Eightball
July 10, 2008, 01:18 AM
Good job, man!

bnkrazy
July 10, 2008, 08:49 AM
Awesome job!

#shooter
July 10, 2008, 09:42 AM
As the saying goes:
"It never hurts to ask":D

bogie
July 10, 2008, 12:45 PM
Now, all you guys who say "Hey, one guy by himself will never make a difference," or "I just walk past the sign and ignore it," or "It's their right to put up the signs that say they don't want people like me as a customer" - I've got a homework assignment for you.

Ask to see the owner or manager. Ask them why they don't want you as a customer. Then point to the sign, and explain that all it does is keep people like yourself, who have proven that you are not a criminal, from patronizing the establishment. While at the same time, criminals will walk right past it, or even target the business or shoppers because of it.

We've got 60,000 people who are members here. If just a few of you make a difference, that IS a difference. And it all adds up.

Mark K. C.
July 10, 2008, 01:06 PM
Thank you..Thats one more down

Double Naught Spy
July 10, 2008, 01:17 PM
nice job doc!

It's still immoral - because if you go past that sign, and spend money at the store, you're helping it stay up, regardless of whether it is "legal" or not.

It's bad PR for those signs to be up, "legal" or not.

Immoral? LOL! Misleading, maybe, but not immoral.

Bad PR? That depends on your point of view. It may not be bad PR for business at all depending on their clients and clients' sentiments.

bogie
July 10, 2008, 02:25 PM
Discrimination is immoral. Supporting or condoning it is immoral.

akodo
July 10, 2008, 05:47 PM
good work

ColinthePilot
July 10, 2008, 07:05 PM
I do the same thing as Trashpickinman here in TX. The only legal way to ban guns somewhere in TX is the famed "30.06 sign" which has to be (I forget the actual specs) pretty dang big, with verbatim wording from the law in both english and spanish. Its impossible to miss, so if it doesn't jump out at you, it probably ain't there. I've ignored dozens of "no weapons" signs with a smile on my face, but when I see the 30.06 sign, which I've only seen once, I obey the law.
I was cautioned once by a friend that the local grocery store had a no guns sign up. I thanked him and checked it out. It actually said "No Illegal Weapons." I figured I have a license, they're not discriminating against me, so its their waste of ink, but not anti-gun. I carry there happily.

Double Naught Spy
July 10, 2008, 07:07 PM
LOL, discrimination against an inanimate object is immoral? That is rich!

frogger42
July 10, 2008, 07:07 PM
That's awesome!

bogie
July 10, 2008, 09:16 PM
No, they are discriminating against the people who hold permits.

I don't appreciate it.

On the other hand - I don't mind "No Illegal Weapons" signs - because that means that the owner likely understands about CCW, and is placating soccer mommies while at the same time telling legitimate folks that they're welcome.

HOWEVER, a general "no guns" sign, legal or not, like the "gunbusters" signs, means I will not spend money there, and that I will tell the management why. I will NOT sneak past it. That sign is telling the world that gun owners are evil and dangerous, and I don't like that.

Every time you ignore a no guns sign, and spend money inside without talking to the management, you are essentially telling management that you agree with it, and hence you are encouraging it.

Congratulations. You're helping erode your own rights.

cameroneod
July 11, 2008, 01:20 AM
Congrats. I just left Tooele. Bought the .17 Marlin for the wife while I was there. Beautiful area.

RockyMtnTactical
July 11, 2008, 03:15 AM
docfubar, way to go!! ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "I got a NO FIREARMS sign removed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!