Cold steel FGX products

PDA

wheelgunslinger
July 9, 2008, 07:03 PM
Does anyone have one of these?
What's the point? Are they useful? If so, for what?

If you enjoyed reading about "Cold steel FGX products" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CZ.22
July 9, 2008, 07:13 PM
Does anyone have one of these?
What's the point? Are they useful? If so, for what?

They are intended as weapons, and are probably pretty useless as tools. That said, they would seem to be useful for:

1. Keeping in the trunk of your car. People before have been kidnapped, locked in the trunks of their cars. A knife, one you didn't have to worry about rusting, etc, would be a help.

2. Swimming/diving. Again, with the no-rust thing. While most scuba divers, etc, carry a dive knife, one of these, for a swimmer or snorkeler in a potentially sharky area would be light, easily concealable, and no-worries when it comes to rust.

3. Fish-stabber. As a quickly deployed knife that you don't have to worry about maintenance with, these knives would seem to make good fish killers.

Eleven Mike
July 9, 2008, 07:19 PM
I thought they were intended for sneaking past metal detectors. Not that we at THR would endorse such a thing.

Sawyer
July 10, 2008, 07:07 PM
it might be likely there's some metal inside the knives so they'll show up on detectors.

alwilliam
July 10, 2008, 09:51 PM
No metal in fgx items ..solid grivory.Most are weak but the push daggers are not to bad.I saw a test of all the items.

hso
July 11, 2008, 01:23 AM
Bwahaaaahaa.

Toys!

I love toys.

Composite poly "knives" have an application as stabbing/thrusting weapons. Any design that isn't focused on that is a marketing gimmick.

alwilliam
July 11, 2008, 04:21 PM
http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/3518/fgxtast52me8.jpg

CZ.22
July 11, 2008, 05:22 PM
Wait- but Lynn Thompson said Grivory was unbreakable!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Al, you scare me sometimes.

Eleven Mike
July 11, 2008, 05:57 PM
Did you order half a dozen plastic pointy things just to break them? :)

jahwarrior
July 11, 2008, 06:02 PM
i broke the tip of my karambit last month.

on cardboard.

i bought one just to see what the real thing would feel like.

Sawyer
July 11, 2008, 08:39 PM
since these are pretty much single use last ditch weapons, the fact that they break apart (hopefully inside an assailant) is a positive thing. :)

hso
July 11, 2008, 09:02 PM
Well, lookee there!

Al, how'd you break'm?

jahwarrior
July 11, 2008, 09:10 PM
since these are pretty much single use last ditch weapons, the fact that they break apart (hopefully inside an assailant) is a positive thing.

whoa! not that we here at THR endorse such a thing, of course....:scrutiny:

alwilliam
July 11, 2008, 10:05 PM
Belive it or not the above pic is from a test done in russia for possible use of these weapons by some russian agency and also for personal edc....True story. :confused:

The push daggers and delta dart were the best of the lot. The test was done on a dummy fully clothed and made of flesh and bone like material.

I have run a small test with the push daggers on my own with a test dummy with plywood bones...They break around the 3rd strike if "bone" is hit.

IMO the small push dagger is a viable weapon so is the larger push dagger but it breaks faster due to longer blade. ...the rest of the line is crap...IMO.

I WANT TO ADD:eek: IF you are caught in any controlled area ..i.e. airport,federal building etc... With items of this type ,You will be hung out to dry. FWIW -The body scanners will see these type weapons with ease.

I stongly advise a ink type PEN of some type & TO AVOID THE CARRY OF THESE TYPE "composite" WEAPONS TO AVOID "DETECTION" in a controlled zone!

hso
July 11, 2008, 10:26 PM
I WANT TO ADD IF you are caught in any controlled area ..i.e. airport,federal building etc... With items of this type ,You will be hung out to dry. FWIW -The body scanners will see these type weapons with ease.

I stongly advise a ink type PEN of some type & TO AVOID THE CARRY OF THESE TYPE "composite" WEAPONS TO AVOID "DETECTION" in a controlled zone!

Yup, only the ill-informed would try to carry one of those things these days. I wouldn't even try to carry my Frequent Flyer anymore with the intent of getting through a check point with scanner.

OTOH, this gets no attention at all.
http://www.osograndeknives.com/Timberline/Images/TL700.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Cold steel FGX products" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!