rimfire and centerfire small and medium frame revolvers including trackers
How are the current ones doing in the areas of
1. basic function and reliability
2. overall fit
3. cylinder/bore alignment
4. Light strikes
5 lock malfunctions
6. durability.

when quality issues arrise, are they willing/able to fix them.

If you enjoyed reading about "current taurus revolvers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
machinisttx
July 10, 2008, 05:29 PM
Well, Taurus has always been hit or miss by all accounts. Provided you inspect the individual gun thoroughly, as you should with any new or used firearm, you aren't likely to run into problems.

Taurus customer service is hit or miss as well. Some people have gotten excellent service, while others had to wait months to get their gun back. Sometimes the gun was fixed, sometimes not. Sometimes the original problem was fixed, but a new one created.

mec
July 10, 2008, 05:42 PM
that's the historic story on it alright. I once sho a tracker in 17 hrm and the thing functioned well and wuld group all seven in about an 1nch at 50 yards (scope)
A friend likes the trackers in all calibers but says they lock up with the heavier magnum loads. he may be using the old 40,000+psi reloading data. I'm not sure. Says they are smooth and accurate with moderate loads.

I know one guy who experienced light strikes with one of the closed frame, hammerless revolvers as is not unusual with the smith and wessons of the same size. I've never heard of the hammer mounted "lock" self engaging.
thanks.

janobles14
July 10, 2008, 11:22 PM
own 3 taurus wheelies. all been great with no problems

gtmerkley
July 11, 2008, 12:48 AM
I want the new 5mm one.

Virginian
July 11, 2008, 12:53 AM
I have an old 431 and a brand new 605. Both are great in my opinion. I used to sell guns. Had a very good track record, and good experience with Taurus service.

MCgunner
July 11, 2008, 10:26 AM
A friend likes the trackers in all calibers but says they lock up with the heavier magnum loads. he may be using the old 40,000+psi reloading data. I'm not sure. Says they are smooth and accurate with moderate loads.

See, this is how it's perpetuated. The trackers are LIGHT. You have to use a heavy roll crimp on a magnum caliber in such a light gun or you'll get the bullets pulling and causing problems as they impinge on the forcing cone. Now, if this was a Smith and Wesson, the owner would immediately suspect the loads. Being a Taurus and what with all the internet Taurus bashing out there, no, it's gotta be the gun.

Whatever, I have three Taurus revolvers and all are great. Taurus really is no worse than the modern Smith and Wesson for being hit and miss. Smith has had their problems of recent. I can't speak for the customer service since I've never had to use it.

baker437
July 11, 2008, 10:34 AM
I have a 850 and 94 both work fine. Fit and finish is not perfect but very good.

mec
July 11, 2008, 10:42 AM
You have to use a heavy roll crimp

the guy knows about crimp jumping. what he has told me is that the gun bogs down, either from expansion of the stainless cylinder or gas ring with high pressure loads or some degree of case set back. Something of the sort caused S&W to reposition the gas rings on their early model 66s.
The guy hasn't said but I suspect that he is still using the loads that were commonly listed in manuals a decade or so ago. 40-47,000 psi in contrast to the current industry standard of 35.

MCgunner
July 11, 2008, 11:20 AM
If it ain't jumping the crimp, I'd suspect set back of the brass/primer from the pressure. If he can fired .38s out of it or light mags after firing the hot stuff, it ain't the gun. If anything were expanding on the gun, it'd be permanent damage.

mec
July 11, 2008, 11:34 AM
set back of the brass/primer
I'd suspect that too though the model 66s did bog down due to temporary expansion of the gas ring due to heat. In any case, he finds the trackers in all calibers to be accurate and shootable. He also has a couple of 454 raging bulls which are accurate shooters and easy to handle. he was surprised to find his bulls -both circa 5.5" and 7.5" to be producing higher velocities than his ruger super redhawk in the same caliber

MCgunner
July 11, 2008, 11:46 AM
I've got 2 M66s, a 3" and a 4", but I generally don't run more'n a hundred rounds through them in a session and most of that is .38, generally. I've not seen problems with the heat expansion thing, but I suppose if I fired 100 rounds of hot mags out of it, it could happen, don't know. I've had 50 rounds of .357 through it in pretty short order and it gets pretty hot, though.

The one thing that has impressed me is the accuracy of Taurus revolvers. My 4" nickled 66 is just amazing, tight little 1" clusters, as good as I can fire an iron sighted gun off the bench at 25 yards with .38 wadcutters and similar with magnums it likes. It's a bit more accurate than my old M19 and quite a bit more accurate than my old Security Six with the .38s. The 3" gun ain't far behind.

My 4" gun gets carried when I'm out on a hike or down at my place checking things. The 3" gun gets carried concealed on occasion. My 2" M85SSUL sees a lot of carry, both pocket as primary and as back up in an ankle rig. That one I bought new. The two 66s I got at gun shows used and at SIGNIFICANT savings over any used Smith. The 4" nickeled gun cost me $197 and the 3" blued, an older gun, $180. The 4" gun was like new! Both guns are tigh and pefectly timed, very accurate. The 3" gun showed a lot of holster wear and had been fired a lot judging by the wear on the Pachmayr grip it had. But, you ain't touchin' a K frame Smith for that sort of money around here at least. To me, the Tauri are good guns and GREAT bargains over any Smith, used or new. If you're just a Smith collector or koolaid drinker, well, go with a Smith, but I'm a po boy who just likes to shoot. :D I gotta say, though, when it comes to accuracy, I've found Taurus second to none. The M66s have a ROUND forcing cone and a little more beef in the forcing cone area which makes me happy because I've had forcing cone problems on a K frame.

Fat Boy
July 11, 2008, 12:03 PM
I recently acquired a Model 85, and checked it out thoroughly. After getting it to the house, I was checking it one more time, and snapped the cylinder shut rather abruptly. This resulted in a lock up, which I resolved by opening the cylinder again, and reclosing it. I know better than to snap the cylinder shut in that fashion; I don't know, maybe I was trying to fail the gun...my question; will all revolvers lock up like that if snapped shut in a hard fashion? Or is this indicative of some problem with this gun?

Sorry, not to hijack the thread...but thought I would throw this in as it is relative to Taurus guns

mec
July 11, 2008, 01:22 PM
I suppose if I fired 100 rounds of hot mags out of it, it could happen, don't know.

they fixed that a few months after the 66 came out. Guy just told me he went to a gun show in fredricksburg Tx. People were asking $ 650 for K 22s and one guy was halking an 8 3/8" 25 in .45 colt for $1600. another guy was trying to sell a nice early mod 29 for $450 but the dealers wanted to knock off 100 because he didn't have the box. He almost gave the guy his asking price for that. It appears that the earlier Smiths have really taken off in some peoples estimation anyway.

The lockup. It doens't sound usual but I'd shoot it a bit and see if anything else happens before even worrying about it.

dairycreek
July 11, 2008, 01:30 PM
I've owned 6 Taurus revos over the last few years. Those that were good were okay guns. All were NIB and three of them had to go back to the factory for major repair. As others have said in this thread Taurus quality control as well as customer service is purely a hit or miss situation. In my personal experience I found customer service to be absolutely terrible. So much so, that I just won't buy Taurus products any more. Life is way too short for that kind of hassle.:barf:

MCgunner
July 11, 2008, 03:13 PM
they fixed that a few months after the 66 came out

Mmm, sounds good since mine are later ones. My 4" has the newer transfer bar lockwork, though it doesn't have the hammer mounted safety lock which my new in '97 M85 has. I'm figuring early 90s for that one, mid-late 80s for the blued one. Just a guess.

Yeah, old pre-lock Smiths down here are out of sight. To get a decent basic M10, figure on 400 bucks. I'll risk the hassle. I don't have the green. I haven't had a problem with Taurus, though, not at all. But, I only have 3. If I bought one without checking it out (that will never happen) and it had to go back, well, I'd send it back. I don't need the thing back in 2 days. :rolleyes:

I did take a chance on the 3" gun, was wanting a 3" gun, though. The crane was loose and timing on a couple of cylinders was off. I talked the guy off 200 to 180, decided if I couldn't figure it out, I'd find out if Taurus customer service was as bad as some seem to think. Well, turned out when I got it home, someone had put the side plate back on and put the long screw that's supposed to impinge on the crane in the wrong hole. That left the crane WAY loose. I put it back together right, tight as a drum, perfect timing. :D Some guy out there is probably cussing that Taurus for being crap. Couldn't be the moron that put the wrong screws in the wrong holes, eh? Go figure. :rolleyes:

JT'sDad
July 11, 2008, 06:53 PM
Had a Taurus 2" 94, great little gun.
Currently looking for an older 3" model 941.

MedWheeler
July 11, 2008, 09:55 PM
I don't know about the newer guns, but I enjoy and trust well my Model 66, purchased in 1987. Only issue I had was the ejector rod shooting loose (took more than ten years to happen, though), locking the cylinder closed. Easy fix.

Phydeaux642
July 11, 2008, 10:52 PM
I have been looking for a good .22 revolver to plink with and haven't been able to let loose of the $500+ for a used Smith at this time. I looked at a couple of Taurus .22 wheelguns today and I had to pass because, even though they were priced right, they must have had a 100 pound trigger.:what: I am sure they would have functioned just fine, but I like to shoot DA and those two just didn't seem like they would work for me. I was a little bummed.

mec
July 11, 2008, 11:19 PM
all my comments about the model 66 were in ref: the Smith K frame. It was , I believe, the first stainless magnum and the heat expanding gas ring was a problem that was corrected early.

kwelz
July 12, 2008, 01:51 AM
I just picked up a Stainless 605 in .357 for summer CC and my next purchase will be a Tracker in .44 mag.

I have had numerous Taurus revolvers and they have all been reliable. While I would not say they are as nice as a Ruger or Smith Revolver, the quality is above the price point in my opinion.

Arcticfox
July 12, 2008, 02:32 AM
I have an M44c. The hammer pull is heavy, and long. So is the trigger. The only things I like are the ribber grip, and the HIViz sights. I will not buy another Taurus. In the words of Lloyd Bentsen, "I knew Smith & Wesson. Believe me Taurus, you're no Smith & Wesson!"

Virginian
July 12, 2008, 05:22 AM
I don't believe Smith and Wesson is Smith and Wesson anymore, either.

MCgunner
July 12, 2008, 06:24 AM
Good point, Virginian. :D

But, my 66s are BETTER guns, more accurate, better forcing cone design than my M19 was. Thanks, but Smiths have problems, too. I think Smith's best .357s are the L frames. Sweet. It's sort of a model to model thing. My M85 has the slickest out of the box trigger I've felt this side of a Python. It's far, far superior to any J frame I've ever felt out of the box. Yes, the .22s have very stiff DA triggers. Smith J frame triggers aren't great, either, though, but better than the 94 Taurus. If you want the slickest DA trigger in a .22 revolver ever made, look for an old K frame .22, M17 or such. My uncle had a K22 masterpiece, AWESOME. They don't make 'em like that anymore, not Smith, not Ruger, not Taurus.

I have a Rossi M511 .22. It's got the stiff DA trigger from hell, but very light and crisp in single action. Kit guns are never fired DA except for range plinking anyway. It ain't a self defense gun, it's a rabbit gitter. For DA practice, I figure if I can hit with THAT gun DA, my Taurus, Smith, and Ruger centerfires are budda. ROFL!

All in what ya want, but I ain't givin' no 500 bucks for a NEW Smith .22, no way in hell. I might give that for an old K22 in great shape, but not a new one. Smith and Wesson quality has gone to hell for what they want for the guns. I'm convinced you get more, or at least as much, for less in a Taurus. JMHO, though. The .22s might be heavy of trigger, but then, the Smith is, too, and it's rather heavy of price tag to boot. My Rossi is quite accurate. It, and a mini revolver, are my only .22 revolvers. I sorta fell in love lately with a certain Mark 2 Ruger I picked up for a good price a few months ago. Yeah, I like revolvers, but I just don't feel there's a .22 revolver made now days that can match the quality of a Ruger or Browning auto chucker and, hell, I ain't worried about 'em tossing rimfire cases on the ground. If I just HAD to have a high quality .22 revolver, I'd go K frame hunting. :D

I don't have one, yet, but I really like the Tracker concept for outdoor carry. My 4" 66 has that niche and it's all the gun I need, but I might pick me up a .41 mag tracker some day, light on the hip. I ain't sure I wanna fire it, though, ROFL. I have blackhawks in .357 and .45 Colt, a 41 mag Blackhawk wouldn't really have a lot of advantage, but a light on the hip .41 would be kinda neat. I'm getting too old for back packing trips, though, and can't afford the gas to get to New Mexico anymore, just like to speculate. LOL

Guillermo
July 12, 2008, 09:23 AM
I sure wish Taurus would build a consistently good product.

They make a lot of stuff that I would buy if I could count on the quality.

Bo
July 12, 2008, 09:27 AM
I have a Taurus 650 CIA. It shoots great and has never failed to go bang, even with it's 40 lb. trigger.

pinetree64
July 12, 2008, 10:00 AM
I have had my M85UL for 8yrs(?) and my M66 for 2. Both have been good guns. I have the M85UL for daily carry. The M66 is my nightstand gun and scouting gun. I think for the most part Taurus revolvers are a good bargain.

Fat Boy
July 12, 2008, 02:22 PM
I was able to shoot my newly acquired model 85 today; a two inch barrel edition. No malfunctions; it does shoot a bit left, but I can compensate for that. I was surprised to find the SA trigger pull very nice. DA is tougher, but not at all unmanageable. I also have a snub nose Taurus in a larger caliber and it too performs satisfactorily. Funny, I have two revolvers that in total cost less than one comparable S&W, and I have funds left over for shells....I may change my mind later, but as of now, given what I have found so far, I am willing to risk working with Taurus customer service, should the need arise...

mec
July 12, 2008, 05:39 PM
several years ago when they first started bringing in the 17 hmr I got one for t&e. It shoots seven shots and with a scope on it, was very accurate from all chambers at 50 yards. everything worked right and there was nothing to shor about the timing, action or trigger pull. I have heard that when you get a lemon, they lack either the ability or the interest to get them right but they can make a good revolver when they try.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=25308&d=1118075430
the first time I posted this picture, somebody complained that I had murdered a poor carvo-american that was doing nothing but minding his own business. I cooked him up and ate him, having never done so before and will say that I ate every last bite even though he wasn't good.

Pointshoot
July 12, 2008, 06:28 PM
I've owned 3 Taurus handguns. Two 454s and a 41 Mag Titanium Tracker. The first 454 had all sorts of problems (timing, etc) and I got rid of it. The 41 Mag is o.k. but the trigger pull is heavy and gritty. The 2nd 454 has a 5" barrell and I use it as a hunting handgun. It shoots well. - -As others have mentioned, I've had mixed results with their product. Even though I like the 454 that I have now, I no longer look at Taurus when considering a new handgun purchase. I simply don't have the time to hassle around if there are any problems. And, I need to be 100% confident in my side arm or hunting handgun. - - -

Guillermo
July 12, 2008, 08:03 PM
MEC

That looks like a nice TSRA cap

And if you took him on the wing, that is a heck of a shot!

If you enjoyed reading about "current taurus revolvers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!